HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richer and Others Discuss Battle With Depression

Old
02-09-2012, 05:14 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
but... but, fighting causes despression and... and, ummm.... errr... fighting is... argh... hmm.
wtf??

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Richer was never gay. He loved women, and women loved him. He comes from my neck of the woods. Never understood those rumours.
Probably jealousy. Any time a man in the public eye is loved by women, jealous people feel the need to call him gay.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:23 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimed Off Waivers View Post
Probably jealousy. Any time a man in the public eye is loved by women, jealous people feel the need to call him gay.
Except Justin Bieber really is gay, he just has Selena confused for Scott.

I've definitely battled through depression at various points in life. Luckily I have some great friends around me and a lot of them have experienced similar difficulties. Talking about it really is a huge help.

Props to anyone who can admit their problems, especially those in high-profile cases like Richer.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
coolasprICE

My 1st ever NHL jersey was a Richer #44, got it when I was 8.

But I've been hiding it in the closet for many years now... Time to take it out of the closet... no longer ashamed.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
My 1st ever NHL jersey was a Richer #44, got it when I was 8.

But I've been hiding it in the closet for many years now... Time to take it out of the closet... no longer ashamed.
Why would you ever have been ashamed? The guy was great.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
but... but, fighting causes despression and... and, ummm.... errr... fighting is... argh... hmm.
Oh shut up. I don't give a **** about hockey culture, depression supersedes any game traditions. If fighting causes depression, it should be taken out of games. If some players are susceptible to depression, they shouldn't be fighting, none of this macho BS. Speaking from shared and personal experience, I'd rather see a clean fightless game over a bunch of guys dealing with a serious mental illness.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Why would you ever have been ashamed? The guy was great.
ya, was just kidding ... ''closet'' joke...

I used to get goose bumps as a kid when he scored...

'' Numero 44 ...... STEPHANE........ RIIIICHERRRRRRR ''

Him and Courtnall were my faves.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Too bad this went undiagnosed for so long.
I suffered from depression for over 10 years until I hit rock bottom and was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2010.

I was terrified about seeking help. I was afraid of the stigma surrounding mental illness and was afraid of where Id end up. As a result I wore a variety of masks over the years to conceal the truth.

The few times I tried to confide in friends and family I received the typical "what do you have to be depressed about" or "snap out of it" response.

Sadly this is probably the case for a lot of people.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:21 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
and he was french too. It boggles the mind.
Not really. Habs fans demand players play hard and to their potential. Thats why so often you see a fourth liner be popular beyond his actual contribution to the team, because he plays hard and is a good fourth liner so the fans appreciate him.
Richer was a big guy, and though not physical he could protect the puck. He was also fast, could stickhandle and boy could he shoot. He and Kovalev had a similar game.I loved watching Richer, he was terrific. BUT. Richer scored 50 one year, then 25, then 51, then back down to 31. Fans saw he could score 50 and expected him to consistently do it because the ability was there and when he wasnt, it was because he wasnt giving it his all. So, boo.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

“The media and the people in Montreal, they really hurt me. I came to Montreal, I was 19, I was a kid. To be criticized, to be judged, to have so many stories around me — I was gay, on drugs, party all the time. . . . I’m a pretty shy guy, I’m pretty quiet, I just want to be home. I was dying inside.” -- Stephane Richer.

"But but but he's a millionaire, he's a pro athlete" say the ignorant fans.

See also Patrice Brisebois.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
I suffered from depression for over 10 years until I hit rock bottom and was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2010.

I was terrified about seeking help. I was afraid of the stigma surrounding mental illness and was afraid of where Id end up. As a result I wore a variety of masks over the years to conceal the truth.

The few times I tried to confide in friends and family I received the typical "what do you have to be depressed about" or "snap out of it" response.

I've never suffered from depression (except maybe as a Hab fan over the last 15 years) but I know people who have. Bottom line is that a lot people don't really know the signs unless they know somebody who's had it or suffer from it themselves. I remember a buddy of mine telling me he was depressed and I kind of sluffed it off, I had no idea how serious it was. Don't blame the folks who sluff you off, it's not that they don't care, it's that they don't know how serious it is. Clinical depression is not what springs to mind for them, they just assume you're bummed out for no reason and don't really understand how you're feeling.

If you're feeling depressed and really down, the right thing to do is to get professional help. The stigma surrounding this has really gone the way of the Do-Do bird. People are far more understanding of this now because there's more of an awareness that it exists. Nobody is going to think any less of you because you were strong enough and smart enough to go out and get help for yourself.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post

Yeah, while things are getting better there's still a stigma, people don't understand just how irrational emotions and mental states can be. When I'm feeling down I don't really like to talk about it with my family, my father doesn't understand what I have to be unhappy about and my mother will accuse me of blaming my family or something. My mother has a lot of the same symptoms I do only worse, I've been trying to get her to seek help for a while now but she's very old school about these things.

For me personally the best thing is to just try and find people to talk about it with who understand, even if it means on an internet forum. The few times I've seeked therapy I was unable to be as open as I'd like to so for me the best solution has just been to be as open as possible with those who I can be. The stigma of therapy is hard to get over, especially for someone like me who only has moderate symptoms and rarely loses control. Knowing others who can relate helps.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, while things are getting better there's still a stigma, people don't understand just how irrational emotions and mental states can be. When I'm feeling down I don't really like to talk about it with my family, my father doesn't understand what I have to be unhappy about and my mother will accuse me of blaming my family or something. My mother has a lot of the same symptoms I do only worse, I've been trying to get her to seek help for a while now but she's very old school about these things.

For me personally the best thing is to just try and find people to talk about it with who understand, even if it means on an internet forum. The few times I've seeked therapy I was unable to be as open as I'd like to so for me the best solution has just been to be as open as possible with those who I can be. The stigma of therapy is hard to get over, especially for someone like me who only has moderate symptoms and rarely loses control. Knowing others who can relate helps.
Don't get sucked in by the stigma. As I said above, for the most part it no longer exists. If you're feeling like you need help, seek it. Don't worry about what others think, they don't even have to know about it.

If you feel like you need help, get it.

BTW, I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet. (You guys are probably too young to remember that commercial)

Edit: BTW, good on you for talking about this. Stay strong man.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Oh shut up. I don't give a **** about hockey culture, depression supersedes any game traditions. If fighting causes depression, it should be taken out of games. If some players are susceptible to depression, they shouldn't be fighting, none of this macho BS. Speaking from shared and personal experience, I'd rather see a clean fightless game over a bunch of guys dealing with a serious mental illness.
I think you missed the point.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:35 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
“The media and the people in Montreal, they really hurt me. I came to Montreal, I was 19, I was a kid. To be criticized, to be judged, to have so many stories around me — I was gay, on drugs, party all the time. . . . I’m a pretty shy guy, I’m pretty quiet, I just want to be home. I was dying inside.” -- Stephane Richer.

"But but but he's a millionaire, he's a pro athlete" say the ignorant fans.

See also Patrice Brisebois.
And Brisebois came back! Gainey's call for the yellows to stay home is one of my favorite moment of him.

But, Brisebois didn't struggle with depression. Had he done so, maybe he would have suicided, the way people were harping at him.

Something to think about for the Molson Ex zone "fans".

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Price My Man Crush

We are on a forum, but Et Le But has courage to speak about it. Few people are able and they don't want to.

Good luck and hope the best for you.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote