2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
We need to take BPA, no more "being cute picks". I think there's a lot of good talent available when the Jets eventually pick
I agree. What's interesting is that it looks like once you get past a certain number (say 7 or 8) what one team thinks is the BPA might be different from the next team.

Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree. What's interesting is that it looks like once you get past a certain number (say 7 or 8) what one team thinks is the BPA might be different from the next team.

Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.
I agree. Would you consider trading down and acquiring another pick or 2? If so, how far would you think?

Old
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Bane99

I don't really get why people would want Tanner Pearson? I think Antropov would win a foot race with him.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I agree. Would you consider trading down and acquiring another pick or 2? If so, how far would you think?
If WPG is drafting in the 7-8 range, and Galyenchuk, Forsberg, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Faksa are all off the board, I look to trade down. There is a glut of D there, and I think that WPG should be targeting a forward, not to mention that the D are all very close. I would trade down to 11-13 range, pick up an extra 2nd and take Girgensons/Collberg/Gaunce there. I'd be happy with that.

If we are already sitting in the 11-14 spot, like I think we will be, I'd have to wait and see what's left on the board at that point.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Yeah, if we don't start to win on the road and/or our injury problems don't improve we very well could end up there.

At that stage we are talking about players that could fall to that spot such as Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, etc.
I'd LOVE to get Forsberg. Can you tell? haha

Old
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
If WPG is drafting in the 7-8 range, and Galyenchuk, Forsberg, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Faksa are all off the board, I look to trade down. There is a glut of D there, and I think that WPG should be targeting a forward, not to mention that the D are all very close. I would trade down to 11-13 range, pick up an extra 2nd and take Girgensons/Collberg/Gaunce there. I'd be happy with that.

If we are already sitting in the 11-14 spot, like I think we will be, I'd have to wait and see what's left on the board at that point.
This is my thinking also. I'm not against taking a d-man, but I'd also prefer a forward.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Bane99

I like Collberg or Aberg as they are both skilled and speedy wingers and may be available when we pick. If Faksa is still available I would grab him but I don't see him being available when we pick.

Old
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM
surixon

Quote:

I disagree with the idea of trading down, id rather take the high end dmen if thats whats on the board. Even if our defense is a strength right now it may not be in 3 to 4 years when the pick is likely to play.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Huffer

Quote:
It really depends.

IF Winnipeg is say drafting at 8 and there is an offer to say move to 14 and pick up a 2nd, I would only do it if the scouting staff had the 7 guys between 8 and 14 as interchangeable. I.E. Using a HF scale, let's say they had them all rated as 7's. And they were thought to be equal according to my other criteria below.

I wouldn't make the trade if my scouting staff said that at 8 there was still was a prospect or two ranked as an 8 on the board, even if they were in a position that is perceived to be less of a need.

I would always take the BPA in that case.

Actually, if I was in the scouting staff, or in the TNSE war room, position would take a back seat to quite a few factors. I would consider things like;

Overall skill level
Likelihood to reach potential
Character
Work Ethic
Drive/Desire/Commitment
Teamwork
Leadership
(whatever other criteria and traits are deemed important)

as more important things than position, even if I had a weakness in one position.

To get back to your original question, I would have to be sure that all those factors above are close to equal as well between all the players between the spots I was moving.

If not, I would take the guy my scouts and staff think best meet the criteria above, regardless of position.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Trouba lacks the offensive skills of a Chris Weber, not a good comparison IMO. Ceci is another player that should go in the 6-15 range and he's improved his play all season long.

I'm not really sure where you're getting this from? He may the best defensively between Reilly and Pouliot, but he's not the best stay at home defender in this draft. Reinhart needs to use his size better on the ice, which is not entirely impossible for him to do. IMO Reilly is definitely a player that should get a look from the Jets, with Enstrom's future not guaranteed. Reilly has high end offensive upside, good skating ability and vision. Besides missing most of this season, I don't see how he's overrated?
Chris Webber the retired PF from the Sacramento Kings?

Quote:
If Galchenyuk fell to us, I think that would be great. If not, it's tough to tell as it appears that picks after around 8 or so could go either way depending on the opinions of the teams scouts.

I personnaly would love to land Galchenyuk, but I would also be happy with Reinhart, Trouba, or Ceci if he was gone. I also wouldn't be too upset if we were picking in the 10 or so range and landed a guy like Faksa. Looks like he has a lot of skill and has good size.

I liked the idea of possibly getting Wilson in the 2nd, but with McKenzie's ranking of him at 20, that doesn't seem likely.

A guy I was secretly hoping would fall to us in the 2nd as well was Hertl.
Agreed Galchenyuk is who I'm hoping for as well probably a long shot but man I would love to see that guy in a Jets uni same goes for Wilson after watching the top prospects game and watching that guy throw his body around I thought he would be a perfect fit for the Jets but unfortunately after watching the top prospects game I realized he is probably going to be picked in the late first

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I agree.

If we take him with our first I will be pissed, and I think this place will just explode haha
I will be beyond pissed if this pick happens and if it does and Chevy gets assassinated you will know who did it

Quote:

I like this move although if Reinhart is still available I most likely pick him

Enstrom-Bogo
Reinhart-Buff
Stuart-Flood/Postma
Flood/Postma

Provided that Enstrom stays next year and Buff removes his head slightly from his a** in the future you have to admit that might be one of the best groups of defensemen in the NHL

Old
02-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post

I like this move although if Reinhart is still available i pick him

Enstrom-Bogo
Reinhart-Buff
Stuart-Flood/Postma
Flood/Postma

Provided that Enstrom stays next year and Buff removes his head slightly from his a** in the future you have to admit that might be one of the best groups of defensemen in the NHL
No, no, no to having an 18 year old defenseman in the NHL next year. Reinhart is no Larsson, there is no D that should be in the NHL at 18 from this draft(Maaybe Ryan Murray).

No player we draft will have an impact next year, probably not even the year after that. At the earliest, we are looking for a player for 14-15. Do not project into lines.

The more I look at our depth chart though, the more a defenseman might be a good idea to start to replenish the system since most of our good D prospects are NHL ready or close (Bogosian/Kulda/Postma).

Old
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Huffer

Quote:
No, no, no to having an 18 year old defenseman in the NHL next year. Reinhart is no Larsson, there is no D that should be in the NHL at 18 from this draft(Maaybe Ryan Murray).

No player we draft will have an impact next year, probably not even the year after that. At the earliest, we are looking for a player for 14-15. Do not project into lines.

The more I look at our depth chart though, the more a defenseman might be a good idea to start to replenish the system since most of our good D prospects are NHL ready or close (Bogosian/Kulda/Postma).
He might have just meant future, as in maybe a few years away.

I agree with you though, I think people have been expecting too much to think that many players play right after their drafted. Maybe a handful of guys are ready, and for the most part, they don't light it up in the NHL right away.

There's nothing wrong with playing a couple of years in junior, and maybe a year in the AHL.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I even feel that Scheifele should spend next season in the AHL and not be force fed minutes in the NHL. He still needs areas of improvement and will be a better player in the long run for doing so.

Ask yourselves, how often do the Red Wings play 18 or 19 year olds regularly?

Old
02-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I even feel that Scheifele should spend next season in the AHL and not be force fed minutes in the NHL. He still needs areas of improvement and will be a better player in the long run for doing so.

Ask yourselves, how often do the Red Wings play 18 or 19 year olds regularly?
I don't think he can play in the AHL next year.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's correct, because of his birth date and not turning 20 until after the end December 31st next season (his birthday is in March), he cannot play in the AHL next season. It's either the OHL or NHL. For Junior players from the CHL you must either have 4 years Junior experience or be 20 years of age by December 31st of the coming season in order to be eligible to play a full season in the AHL.

With that being said, CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their Junior season is over (not making the playoffs or being eliminated, etc) even if they do not yet meet the age and/or eligibility criteria.

Last edited by Guerzy: 02-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I just read a really good piece on Fredric Anderberg:

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....nhl-draft.html

I personally love anyone who says they mold themselves after Scott Hartnell. You always hear huge names, plus I'm a Hartnell fan.

The kid sounds like a Jets kind of player, good head on his shoulders. In fact from the article he sounds a lot like Ryan Callahan.

Seems like someone we could go for in the 2nd.

It also extends my want for some extra scouting in Sweden.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

I personally love anyone who says they mold themselves after Scott Hartnell. You always hear huge names, plus I'm a Hartnell fan.

The kid sounds like a Jets kind of player, good head on his shoulders. In fact from the article he sounds a lot like Ryan Callahan.

Wow, just read the article and this is exactly the type of guy I'd love to get. Anyone know what his round projection currently is? Scott Hartnell and Ryan Callahan are two of my favorite players and it'd be great to get a guy like that.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:00 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
He might have just meant future, as in maybe a few years away.

I agree with you though, I think people have been expecting too much to think that many players play right after their drafted. Maybe a handful of guys are ready, and for the most part, they don't light it up in the NHL right away.

There's nothing wrong with playing a couple of years in junior, and maybe a year in the AHL.
Yes I meant in the future as in the next few years I've yet to hear any expert say that there is any D in this draft that are definitely NHL ready next season

Also Kulda and Flood are interchangeable or if we choose to sign a bottom pairing guy

Old
02-10-2012, 08:45 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
You are correct, I realized that after looking it up. That being the case, I would hope he spends another season in Junior to elevate his game to where he becomes more dominant. Would like to see him light it up at the WJC.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

It also extends my want for some extra scouting in Sweden.
He does sound like an intriguing prospect. Would absolutely be thrilled if the Jets picked him.

Who is our European scout anyway? Is this player on our scouting staff's radar or has he slipped by them unnoticed? These are the types of questions fans should be able to pose at annual forums/town hall meetings.

If the Jets held forums like that I'm sure we'd all be there to help give them advice from our vast knowledge

Seriously though, it would be good to know we have a presence paying attention to the talent coming from Sweden and not only taking notice after the Red Wings, Senators or some other team has the kid in their system.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Wow, just read the article and this is exactly th type of guy I'd love to get. Anyone know what his round projection currently is? Scott Hartnell and Ryan Callahan are two of my favorite players and it'd be great to get a guy like that.
Central Scouting has him at 120 and Red Line at 42. A strong U18 performance could boost his draft stock. Currently, I'd say he is 4th or 5th round material.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
He does sound like an intriguing prospect. Would absolutely be thrilled if the Jets picked him.

Who is our European scout anyway? Is this player on our scouting staff's radar or has he slipped by them unnoticed? These are the types of questions fans should be able to pose at annual forums/town hall meetings.

If the Jets held forums like that I'm sure we'd all be there to help give them advice from our vast knowledge

Seriously though, it would be good to know we have a presence paying attention to the talent coming from Sweden and not only taking notice after the Red Wings, Senators or some other team has the kid in their system.
I agree with AF1982, as of right now he looks like a 4th-5th round pick. Although if any teams are high on him I can see him going later in the 3rd. He's a guy that different scouting services have at very different places.

We actually have 3 European scouts.

Head European scout Evgeny Bogdanovich
Fredrik Jax
and late addition to the scouting team this year is Dean Fedorchuk
Plus I'm unsure of whether our director of amateur scouting, Marcel Comeau, ever takes scouting trips in Europe.

Edit: also my 1000th post, yaaaay!

Old
02-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Joe Hallenback

Knowing the way Chevaldayoff thinks, size matters when drafting. I really doubt you see anyone who is 5'10 get drafted by this org. Just look at last years draft

Old
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Knowing the way Chevaldayoff thinks, size matters when drafting. I really doubt you see anyone who is 5'10 get drafted by this org. Just look at last years draft
That is something to consider. The Jets did seem to target prospects with size last year.

Maybe someone like Reinhard or Trouba has his eye this year?

Old
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
That is something to consider. The Jets did seem to target prospects with size last year.

Maybe someone like Reinhard or Trouba has his eye this year?
I'm a big fan of Trouba. He's been able to show a very good all around game. At the USNDT he's counted on for offense and he brings it. At the WJC he was counted on for defense and he brought it. He was in fact one of the few silverlinings on that US team, and that's saying a lot for a 17 year old.

He's the second best d-man available in my own opinion, right behind Murray and above Dumba.

I've heard great things about Reinhart though.

Closed Thread