HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newsday Confirms Salary Trimming!

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Jones23

vCash: 500
Newsday Confirms Salary Trimming!

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Dallas as the one team mentioned to be interested.

Wiemer is made out to sound like one of the locker room problems and at his salary and minor production as well as the log jam up front make him expendable.

Let's hope he goes out West!

Old
11-09-2003, 06:31 PM
blitzkriegs

here comes Hahn's 'official sources' crap...usually he does this without quotes from his 'internal people', but this time he has quotes...so i guess there is some credence to it...Hahn thinks he knows the Isles and for some reason too many people kiss his uninformative butt...

again he finds reason to EXCUSE Peca from his poor play when he cites Weimer as a reason for Peca's 'regression' - hey Alan! Peca has regressed since game 3! (not including his standout game 1 performance).

If Weimer goes, so be it...once Bergie made the team and proved he could play at least 6-8 minutes per night, someone was expendable. Coupled with the waiver issue with Hunter/Papineau for which NYI are paying NHL salaries not BST picking up their AHL wages if one (Papineau) could return to BST.

Add in Weinhandl coming back soon and like I said before, NYI having unexpected salary overhead with the extra players...

The Peca/Parrish/Weimer line has played very well defensively, but it has only generated one EN goal, one fluke slapper, and one toss it to the net deflection since they have been together...Weimer has not shown any 'stand up' signs this season and his clearing the ice 'addition' is oversstated IMO. I do think that moving his SALARY should have been addressed in the offseason or given more time to determine how well the BST kids continue their NHL quality play. If Weimer goes and in 12 games, BST kids regress, then I'd rather have an overpaid NHL veteran playing than Papineau failing at another spin-o-rama...

B/C of budget issues and LACK OF ATTENDANCE to compensate for the ORIGINAL budget, some of the $$ has to be let go...it's reality and the play of the BST kids has made him Weimer expendable during this window...

however, I doubt DAL is gonna be a taker...they are not looking to add salary. if we must accept salary in return from them, no Malhotra please...

gotta question this Peca is 'king' lockerroom business...either MM did not do his homework on Peca's leadership lockerrom heirarchy before the BUF trade or Peca has developed this along the way...I can definitely see Yashin having a conflict with a strong personality person like Weimer...

Old
11-10-2003, 02:44 AM
NYIsles1*

Hard to argue with what Newsday wrote.

It's not being presented as rumor, it's almost written as fact and the first words of the article do standout.

Wiemer will be traded or placed on waivers Tuesday...

For those interested the Dallas monday papers do not have anything written about Jason Wiemer or the Islanders.

Personally, I think this could be the Isles using the media to get some interest and Hahn just making more of less with plenty of un-named sources.

Can't any player leave here without it being because of controversey and the lockeroom and trimming salary? Maybe it's just possible Asham is better than Wiemer and fits the role better?

This team is 7-4-2 Correct? That just won three of four on a homestand and beat Dallas, Ottawa and Anaheim?

I know folks are going to say it's Milstein time and maybe they do need to trim some salary, but the Islanders could have walked away from Wiemer last summer and the fact is these kids have more talent and potential and Wiemer is not doing much (by the numbers) to help this team win games.

And maybe the same can be said for Parrish and Peca. Let's see what actually happens, maybe they improve the team.

It would not shock me to see Wiemer clear waivers and be bought out and it would not shock me if nothing happens at all.

Asham replacing Wiemer is not exactly going with kids. If it's between the two for a roster spot (and I think it is) I'll take Asham.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:35 AM
Fan101

I could see that one reason they lost to ATL saturday was because the Thrashers are a well conditioned and physically strong team. It doesn't make sense to move a player like Wiemer who can play a physical and patient defensive game. Wiemer has also proven to be a healthy and durable forward, something Peca, Scatchard, Blake, Weinhandl and Papineau have not been.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:31 AM
CREW99AW

I understand if Wang sees young players producing and wants to trim payroll from a team that's losing $,but do the isles always have to badmouth the players who are leaving?
Geez.Show a little class.

Last yr Milbury was praising Parrish's willingness to sacrifice his body to score.Sterling sang the same praises last month.If they move Parrish,are we gonna get a Hahn article about how Parrish is holding captain teflon back offensively?

Old
11-10-2003, 06:04 AM
Smith31

Its nice to see some consistant criticsm of Peca already. He has been the biggest disspointment this season. He has been solid defensively, but we need more than that from a 2nd line center (Ugh, I am remebering the args regarding Peca being a 2nd or 3rd line ceneter from 2+ yrs ago). I know that many (including Darth) argue that his offensive talents are overrated, but we saw too much of a quality wristshot and cycling ability (where is that chemistry from Peca-Parrish we saw during the first 40 games of 01-02??) to think that he shouldn't be good for 20G-30A...

As for Weimer, so be it...Nobody should be expected to lose over 20 mil a season. If someone has to go, he should be #1 on the list. Simply stated, he is expendible. It would be nice to keep him...but its just not realistic. My depth chart on who I would choose to trade/waive would be exactly what Hahn reported today...Weimer/Parrish/Cairns. Their loss would have a minimal impact on the team, with possible upside by giving Hunter/Wiensofty/Papispin more time.

So much for all those posts saying "There will be no payroll moves"

Old
11-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Top Corner

All I can say is the worst thing about losing Weimer is what you lost to get him.

Said it last year and I'll say it now, I couldn't understand why he went out to get him after getting Asham and having Scatchard already. How many guys like that do you need?

Asham is an upgrade of Weimer in both offense and toughness. You won't see too many lost fights with Asham. He actually plays his best when he's had a scrap. His game seemed to pick up when he had his 1st fight as an Isles. How many fights has Weimer had on the Island? Scatchard has fought more for his team then Weimer.

As for Peca, I read that Ray came out and down played Peca's importance and leadership when he was in Buffalo. He just seemed to get the praise and accolades that weren't deserving.

Maybe he was right.

When I'm at the Mtl/Isles games, our seats are against the glass next to the door the isles come out and he seems to carry himself
like a self proclaimed star ignoring the kids (warmup and after game)
etc.. Ala Lindros style. The best guy for paying attention to the fans on the Isles is Jonsson.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad
Asham is an upgrade of Weimer in both offense and toughness. You won't see too many lost fights with Asham. He actually plays his best when he's had a scrap. His game seemed to pick up when he had his 1st fight as an Isles. How many fights has Weimer had on the Island? Scatchard has fought more for his team then Weimer.
I'll give you offense, but in toughness? Not even close. Asham got into a fight his first game for the Isles, and lost it pretty handily -- In fact, I can't think of a single fight I've seen him win, although he does have his draws from time to time. His game certainly didn't pick up immediately after that first fight. It didn't pick up until he started getting scratched -- nearly every first game after being scratched he got a goal, or at least played significantly better. I don't know about actual fight numbers, but according to NHL.com, last year Wiemer had twice as many major penalties as Asham, five time as many as Scatch and only two less than Cairns. And in the playoffs last year, after a couple losses, Wiemer was one of the only players to elevate his playing level while at least half the team looked deflated -- granted, there is only so much he is capable of, but he took what he does best and did more it, playing a rough and gritty game. And had we been playing against a grittier team, I think his contribution would've been even greater.

Asham is a tough kid, but he simply doesn't have Wiemer's mean streak, nor his defensive capabilities. Salary aside, I'd much rather have Wiemer on the ice than Asham. But obviously, salary is the issue at hand.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:47 AM
disles1

TOTALLY disagree Seph---Asham is better offensively and is also tougher--I was at the NYI/NYR game last year in NYC and Asham killed Barnaby--for an example. I would much rather have Asham!!

Old
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Moosie

Peca's Value

Rob Ray, now there's a brain for you. If you haven't noticed, the Isles are off to a good start. Peca is always covering one of the opponent's best offensive players. I'd say he's contributed to the Isles' early success, even if he hasn't scored a lot of goals. Rob Ray is just mad that Peca held out. By the way, Ray is now doing color on the Sabres games, and he could do everyone a favor by putting a helmet over that misshapen head of his.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I'll give you offense, but in toughness? Not even close. Asham got into a fight his first game for the Isles, and lost it pretty handily -- In fact, I can't think of a single fight I've seen him win, although he does have his draws from time to time. His game certainly didn't pick up immediately after that first fight. It didn't pick up until he started getting scratched -- nearly every first game after being scratched he got a goal, or at least played significantly better. I don't know about actual fight numbers, but according to NHL.com, last year Wiemer had twice as many major penalties as Asham, five time as many as Scatch and only two less than Cairns. And in the playoffs last year, after a couple losses, Wiemer was one of the only players to elevate his playing level while at least half the team looked deflated -- granted, there is only so much he is capable of, but he took what he does best and did more it, playing a rough and gritty game. And had we been playing against a grittier team, I think his contribution would've been even greater.

Asham is a tough kid, but he simply doesn't have Wiemer's mean streak, nor his defensive capabilities. Salary aside, I'd much rather have Wiemer on the ice than Asham. But obviously, salary is the issue at hand.
I watched most of the games last year and may have missed the fight you are talking about but he's not only done Barnaby in , Rupp took a beating and the closest I say to a draw or a loss came in a florida game I believe where he looked like he lost the decision only to find out that player suffered a concussion in the fight and was in IR for a little bit.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:55 PM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad
I watched most of the games last year and may have missed the fight you are talking about but he's not only done Barnaby in , Rupp took a beating and the closest I say to a draw or a loss came in a florida game I believe where he looked like he lost the decision only to find out that player suffered a concussion in the fight and was in IR for a little bit.
I believe it was Buffalo, and the player Rhett Warrener. Asham is a very good scrapper. I'd say on the middle-weight level.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Warrener, Rupp... also tough guys, but not exactly feared for their fighting (3 and 1 major, respectively). Barnaby fights a lot, but have you ever seen him actually win a fight? Barnaby's a lot like Webb like that, fight a lot and lose a lot. Asham is a good fighter for a middleweight, but remains a middleweight. Wiemer doesn't outright win a lot of his fights, but if memory serves me correctly, he seems to tilt with more actual goons and generally doesn't outright lose either. And of course there was his one-punch KO last year. It is possible that I let my first impression of Asham's fighting shape my current impression, but I've just never had Asham really impress me with his abilty to fight.

Fighting aside, I just think Wiemer brings a rougher all around game than Asham. Asham can throw good checks to be sure, but so can Wiemer. However, fighting and checking is all I've really seen Asham ever do in the physical department, whereas Wiemer adds in things like stickwork, and is more inclined to play dirty when play turns to that. Like butt-ending or when he headbutted someone in the Ottawa series. Not that I want my team to play dirty, but I like to know that if the other team is going to bring that sort of game, we have someone that can match them with it.

Closed Thread