HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Semin proposals

Old
02-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Everything you just said can be said for Semin can be said for Stastny and more. Until recently. Johansson is still better than Porter/Kobasew/Winnik. You say he's a second year pro? Well. Porter shouldn't even be in the NHL. Stastny was basically a one man line as well, just against better defense.

My point still stands. Semin has had marginally better linemates against worse defense pairings.
Aren't you conveniently leaving out Mueller? I'd say he and Johansson are pretty comparable. And if you want players who don't belong in the NHL, I can show you Perrault and Eakin, his primary linemates besides Johansson.

Frankly, Semin and Stastny seem to be in virtually identical situations in terms of linemates, and they both deserve better. Let's just leave it at that.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I do realize it's a somewhat weak offer but on the other side Semin's risk makes it about right value wise. Also some good points above about Semin's production and line mates.

Here is how it could make your team better. (This is an option we do not have.)

Losing Semin may well hurt your playoff chances but losing him in the off season for nothing and making the Playoffs does not really help your team all that much either.

1.) Your draft pick will be less of an impact player.

2.) You don't have the depth even with Semin to go deep in the Playoffs vs teams like BOS/PHIL/NY

3.) Losing Semin for nothing is unacceptable and you will not get JACK in the off season for him.

4.) This is how you make your team better with what I offered.. Your pick may just end up being a top 10 pick by the end of the year. Ours even if we make the 1st round will probably still be at least mid 1st round.. (around 17th) because we will probably not make it past the 1st round but want the Playoff experience now more than anything. Finally you trade one 1st + 2nd + Elliott or Player depending on preference to move into the top 5. You might be able to pry a top 2 pick out of CBJ or EDM with that sort of package because of how much they need a top defensman now and not later.

You still end up with a another mid round 1st and two second rounders this year and next year. While possibly getting a young impact player ready to step in right now.

Honestly if you think you can do better go for it.. All the other teams will be taking UFA and caps space into account while we only need to take the UFA factor into account. What do you think is more important for DET? Replacing their retiring franchise D or spending their cap space on a under performing UFA winger?
You assume that Semin will definitely leave Washington this offseason. Why exactly? Has he given any indication that he wants to leave? Last offseason our only important UFA, Brooks Laich resigned with the team. Semin himself resigned during the season. In fact we kept all the UFA we wanted to keep. I'd say that there is a very good chance Semin stays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative
If you want Carter it is going to take Col 2012 1st, Was 2012 1st, Schultz, and Holtby. Columbus may have to add.
I wouldn't want any part of Carter or his contract.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Aren't you conveniently leaving out Mueller? I'd say he and Johansson are pretty comparable. And if you want players who don't belong in the NHL, I can show you Perrault and Eakin, his primary linemates besides Johansson.

Frankly, Semin and Stastny seem
to be in virtually identical situation
s in terms of linemates, and they both deserve better. Let's just
leave it at that.
They are comparable. Too bad Mueller was out for over a year.Since he's been back Stastnys had 11 points in 10 games. With decent linemates the guy is great.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I do realize it's a somewhat weak offer but on the other side Semin's risk makes it about right value wise. Also some good points above about Semin's production and line mates.

Here is how it could make your team better. (This is an option we do not have.)

Losing Semin may well hurt your playoff chances but losing him in the off season for nothing and making the Playoffs does not really help your team all that much either.

1.) Your draft pick will be more of an impact player.

2.) You don't have the depth even with Semin to go deep in the Playoffs vs teams like BOS/PHIL/NY

3.) Losing Semin for nothing is unacceptable and you will not get JACK in the off season for him.

4.) Jones could probably be resigned for cheap (around 3M) and continue playing on your second or third line.

5.) This is how you make your team better with what I offered.. Your pick may just end up being a top 10 pick by the end of the year. Ours even if we make the 1st round will probably still be at least mid 1st round.. (around 17th) because we will probably not make it past the 1st round but want the Playoff experience now more than anything. Finally you trade one 1st + 2nd + Elliott or Player depending on preference to move into the top 5. You might be able to pry a top 2 pick out of CBJ or EDM with that sort of package because of how much they need a top defensman now and not later.

You still end up with a another mid round 1st and two second rounders this year or next year. While possibly getting a young impact player ready to step in right now.

Honestly if you think you can do better go for it.. All the other teams will be taking UFA and caps space into account while we only need to take the UFA factor into account. What do you think is more important for DET? Replacing their retiring franchise D or spending their cap space on a under performing UFA winger?
You know another factor is that we have your first round pick. We don't want you to do well. There's no reason for us to help your playoff push, especially when we could probably get more from a team you're in direct competition with. Say, to Minnesota for their first or Charlie Coyle? Also, Semin's prorated cap hit at the deadline is below 2M if I'm not mistaken, so that's not an issue in moving him.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:30 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
You know another factor is that we have your first round pick. We don't want you to do well. There's no reason for us to help your playoff push, especially when we could probably get more from a team you're in direct competition with. Say, to Minnesota for their first or Charlie Coyle? Also, Semin's prorated cap hit at the deadline is below 2M if I'm not mistaken, so that's not an issue in moving him.
Yeah you could say that about helping our playoff chances. What if we pickup someone like AK47 and make it anyways? Regardless of what happens at the deadline we are pushing for making the playoffs until we ABSOLUTELY are statically out of contention. Hey.. 2 or 3 spots in the draft lower for us and 5-7 spots different in the draft for you could make those draft picks a lot less desirable. Then you lose Semin regardless..

(Cap space?) It will be next year for any team that picks him up...

Min? They have one of the strongest prospect pools in the league and are a budget team. People forget that. Do you think they will mortgage even part of their future for Semin? They have one enigmatic winger in Heatly as it is.. Plus this dream that Parise wants to move back home.

Again good luck.. I am really not trying to be a pain in the ass but my point is no team will value Alex the way we do when you factor in.. The fit for the team, UFA, and Cap space.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Too much risk for the Avs. Stick with depth at centre Stastny-O'Reilly-Duchene.
That's how you win championships. I don't make this deal from an Av perspective. I want players who play to win.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:34 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
That's how you win championships. I don't make this deal from an Av perspective. I want players who play to win.
Agree but you need to give those players especially Stastny the tools to do so. Obviously I don't agree with trading Stastny short of two young top 6 potential forwards. One center and one winger otherwise it does not make sense. These days you need depth to go deep in the playoffs. Trading Stastny does not do that for us and robs us of the chance at building a truly dangerous top 9.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Semin is on his typical late-season streak of really solid play, and McPhee is traditionally a total sucker for it. I'm expecting him to re-sign Semin. It may not be for a very long term, but I think the Caps ink him again.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:49 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Semin is on his typical late-season streak of really solid play, and McPhee is traditionally a total sucker for it. I'm expecting him to re-sign Semin. It may not be for a very long term, but I think the Caps ink him again.
The sad part of your statement is... that it is likely true...

I'm guessing 5.875 mil given his inconsistent play... *crosses fingers*

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
The sad part of your statement is... that it is likely true...

I'm guessing 5.875 mil given his inconsistent play... *crosses fingers*
I'm guessing 7M given his UFA status.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I'm guessing 7M given his UFA status.
I doubt he'll get over 6.7 million or more again. He is ultra talented, but his inconsistency has worn out the Caps beyond belief. If he wants to come back to D.C., Semin better accept a severe pay cut. I pity the team that offers him another big payday. I just hope it isn't the Caps. Now, having said all this, Semin has played a ton better under Dale Hunter, but not at 6.7 million dollars. That is a ton of money to be spending on a guy like Semin.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

semin make not want to take a paycut

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote