HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington's 2 First Round Picks at the Draft

Old
02-09-2012, 12:57 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Washington's 2 First Round Picks at the Draft

First of all this is one of those threads that is entirely based on speculation and what if's.

Right now the Capitals 2 - First round picks are 13th and 17th, I dont see them moving around too much.

Let's say for the sake of this thread that both picks fall between 12 and 20.

How far could these two picks allow you to move up?

Could you get into the top 5 with 13 and 17?

Would Washington be willing to move both picks for a top 5? 8? 10?

Thought it was worth chatting about.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Move into the top-5 with 13 and 17...probably not, they'd probably need to add a prospect or another pick.

That's what I expect them to do, BTW.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Brodeur

The Capitals own first round pick is currently 25th since they lead their division. If I had to bet, I'd think they'll hold off Florida in the long run. Assigning draft pick values is dependent on the draft year and whether a team picking higher is willing to trade down.

Hypothetically, if you owned the #6 pick would you trade it for #9 and #24? Most would think that's good "value" to move down just three spots.

But in 2007, Edmonton declined that offer from St. Louis. The Blues wanted Jakub Voracek. But Edmonton didn't want to drop to #9 because there was a perceived drop in talent once Voracek and Sam Gagner went off the board.

In 2008, the Kings moved #17 and #28 to get to #12. A late first round pick is certainly useful, but I don't think there'll be a team picking 5-8 that'll want to drop to the 12-15 range.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Move into the top-5 with 13 and 17...probably not, they'd probably need to add a prospect or another pick.

That's what I expect them to do, BTW.
This, but if picks are for sale after the season, Rangers will offer a bid if the price is reasonable.

They are worth a little more this year as opposed to another because the draft is deeper at the top, but it's more of a crap shoot after the first 5. You're likely to get a good one, but how good is a guesstimate.

What would you want from Rangers....

Oh yeah, good players with real talent are in the mix, but the usual suspects (Kreider, Miller, Hagelin, McD, Lundqvist MDZ Staal) are off the table.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Ginu

Would Washington be interested in Tomas Plekanec for one of their 1st round picks?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
The Capitals own first round pick is currently 25th since they lead their division. If I had to bet, I'd think they'll hold off Florida in the long run. Assigning draft pick values is dependent on the draft year and whether a team picking higher is willing to trade down.

Hypothetically, if you owned the #6 pick would you trade it for #9 and #24? Most would think that's good "value" to move down just three spots.

But in 2007, Edmonton declined that offer from St. Louis. The Blues wanted Jakub Voracek. But Edmonton didn't want to drop to #9 because there was a perceived drop in talent once Voracek and Sam Gagner went off the board.

In 2008, the Kings moved #17 and #28 to get to #12. A late first round pick is certainly useful, but I don't think there'll be a team picking 5-8 that'll want to drop to the 12-15 range.
They'd have to win a playoff series for their pick to be 25th, if they get bounced in round 1 they wont pick 25th.

edit. I think they are going to miss the playoffs.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
beh3moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Would Washington be interested in Tomas Plekanec for one of their 1st round picks?
Anyone in the league not in a lottery position would be.

beh3moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They'd have to win a playoff series for their pick to be 25th, if they get bounced in round 1 they wont pick 25th.

edit. I think they are going to miss the playoffs.
Division winner automatically get slotted at the end regardless if they win a round. They could get pushed down as 27-30 are reserved for the Final Four.

Take the 2009 Draft. San Jose won the President's Trophy but got bounced in the 1st round.

23. Devils (division winner, 106 points)
24. Capitals (division winner, 108 points)
25. Bruins (division winner, 116 points)
26. Sharks (division winner, 117 points)
27. Hurricanes (conference finalist)
28. Blackhawks (conference finalist)
29. Red Wings (Cup runner up)
30. Penguins (Cup winner)

-------------------------------

Anyways, hypothetically say Florida wins the division + the Caps don't advance to the Conference Finals, and they enter draft day with say #13 and #17.........

It's still tough for me to see somebody wanting to trade out of the top 8. Gare Joyce's book about the draft kinda showed how teams do mark where there's a perceived tier drop. Currently it looks like there's a bit of a drop after Trouba/Rielly/Galchenyuk who most have rounding out the top 8.

But that's not say that scenarios don't exist. Say you're Tampa, would you trade say #6 for #13 and #17 if you could spin #13 into Corey Schneider/Jonathan Bernier? They'd miss out on a top tier D (Dumba/Trouba/Rielly) but would end up with a young starting goalie and a second tier D (Koekkoek/Maatta/Finn/Pouliot).

Last edited by Brodeur: 02-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
You'd probably have to try and trade a top 10 for those two, or atleast that's what Washington would ask for.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
tim

I don't particularly see teams trading up or down early in this draft. Too much raw talent, unless roster players are going with the picks too.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
um

Quote:
hell yea, especially with backstrom down. but we would have to move some cap space to get him

col 1st
eakin
schultz
ward

for

plekanec

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
hell yea, especially with backstrom down. but we would have to move some cap space to get him

col 1st
eakin
schultz
ward

for

plekanec
I think that might be overpayment for Pleks...

Caps 2012 1st
Schultz
Perreault (french canadien would be a great fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh3moth View Post
Anyone in the league not in a lottery position would be.
most likely yes, but his salary is 5.0 mil for the next 4 years, and slotted behind Backstrom, that solidifies the center spot... and also, takes away from resigning Carlson, Alzner, Johansson, Neuvirth, Holtby, etc...

Quote:
I would be, but doubtful GMGM would be interested. He values the ELC on talented young players (see Orlov, Johansson, Carlson) to help with the cap situation.

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
bassassin

If Dumba is gone before Tampa pick wouldn't mind trading down for 2 1st round picks like Washingtons pair. This is if Colorados stays 12-13th, Washingtons is about 25th and Tampa are on the edge of the top 8 but Dumbas off the board.

But by the same reasoning if they traded up wouldn't be against that either. Either more elite talent or some depth. Not middle ground, we don't need that.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote