HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Revisiting Schenn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
  #126
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Lombardi was the price it took to essentially buy Franson. His recovery was a bonus, but not the main piece coming back.
Which is the same as saying Franson is now the equivalent of having a $4.3 mil Dman in the line-up (sum of Lombardi ($3.5 mil) and Franson ($800k) combined) cap utilization, if the premise is based on Lombardi being a necessary evil to obtain Franson.

What Lombardi provides for his $3.5 mil ie 36 games 6 goals 6 assists 12 points could just as easily and cost effectively have been used on rookie Frattin 37 games 5 goals 5 assists 10 points for $1.3 mil (base + unearned bonuses).

Some would suggest that a better use of $4.3 mil cap could be found.. The situation complicated further by the fact that Franson playing has now pushed Komisarek (making $5.5 mil with a $4.5 mil cap hit) into the pressbox further wasting cap space on potential more productive and effective players. That makes both Lombardi and Komisarek needless and redundant in the process and opportunity loss to play Cody.

If you add up the dollars $$ invested/spent and wasted to obtain and have Franson in the line-up regularly it is not inconsequential nor insignificant to get 4 - 12 - 16 points from a 3rd pairing defender.

Hopefully if/when Burke plans on adding new players he is also diligent in trying to get rid of dead weight in the process.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
  #127
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,623
vCash: 500
Think more long term with Franson which people don't seem to be doing. He's a top 4 defenseman in the future that we never had. He has size, can skate, and ALWAYS seems to get his shot through. And he's still very young! Lombardi and Komisarek will both be gone before Franson is in his prime.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
  #128
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Anyone who says JVR for Schenn is overpayment by the Flyers is out of their minds......

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
  #129
iArts
ಠ_ಠ
 
iArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Elaborate, please.
He's a troll,nothing to elaborate on.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
  #130
Maddog63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
If Brian Burke trades Luke Schenn to anybody and its not as part of a bigger deal that would return a much needed top line C, I'd say he is a FRAUD. Otherwise, keep Luke Schenn. I don't believe for one second that Burke would deal Schenn for JVR.

Possibly Aulie + Kadri however....that I could see.
i agree 100% i just dont see Aulie helping PHI this year. They need someone now to help their defense. Which is why i see a

JVR + 3rd Round Pick + B.Kessel (or another prospect)

for

Franson + Kadri + Crabb

type deal, id ask for a 2nd they would want it to be a 3rd i think thats pretty close.

Maddog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:03 PM
  #131
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Which is the same as saying Franson is now the equivalent of having a $4.3 mil Dman in the line-up (sum of Lombardi ($3.5 mil) and Franson ($800k) combined) cap utilization, if the premise is based on Lombardi being a necessary evil to obtain Franson.

What Lombardi provides for his $3.5 mil ie 36 games 6 goals 6 assists 12 points could just as easily and cost effectively have been used on rookie Frattin 37 games 5 goals 5 assists 10 points for $1.3 mil (base + unearned bonuses).

Some would suggest that a better use of $4.3 mil cap could be found.. The situation complicated further by the fact that Franson playing has now pushed Komisarek (making $5.5 mil with a $4.5 mil cap hit) into the pressbox further wasting cap space on potential more productive and effective players. That makes both Lombardi and Komisarek needless and redundant in the process and opportunity loss to play Cody.

If you add up the dollars $$ invested/spent and wasted to obtain and have Franson in the line-up regularly it is not inconsequential nor insignificant to get 4 - 12 - 16 points from a 3rd pairing defender.

Hopefully if/when Burke plans on adding new players he is also diligent in trying to get rid of dead weight in the process.
Yes. I thought I was the only one to see this.
Everyone raves about how we got something back for Lebda and Franson is great 1 to 1. But in reality he overspent by also acquiring Lombardi to get rid of his mistake Lebda.

Now he needs to fix another mistake called Lombardi. It is not the end of the world, there is still cap space though given Army, Lombardi and Komi things are starting to tighter.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
  #132
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,480
vCash: 500
I can understand why so many people also like JvR, he is buried under a stacked team and Hartnell playing so well basically stole the spot I thought he would be playing this year.

I just dont see how this really helps us anymore than keeping Schenn.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
  #133
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Think more long term with Franson which people don't seem to be doing. He's a top 4 defenseman in the future that we never had. He has size, can skate, and ALWAYS seems to get his shot through. And he's still very young! Lombardi and Komisarek will both be gone before Franson is in his prime.
Long term? You're crazy! That's crazy talk. Tomfoolery!

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
  #134
Schennanigans
Registered User
 
Schennanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Etobicoke, on
Posts: 6,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog63 View Post
i agree 100% i just dont see Aulie helping PHI this year. They need someone now to help their defense. Which is why i see a

JVR + 3rd Round Pick + B.Kessel (or another prospect)

for

Franson + Kadri + Crabb

type deal, id ask for a 2nd they would want it to be a 3rd i think thats pretty close.
LOL, boy do we get creamed in that deal. What the hell do we want Blake Kessel for? He wouldn't even make the team. I wouldn't trade Kadri or Franson for JVR straight up, and your adding both to the deal. Hilarious.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
  #135
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yes. I thought I was the only one to see this.
Everyone raves about how we got something back for Lebda and Franson is great 1 to 1. But in reality he overspent by also acquiring Lombardi to get rid of his mistake Lebda.

Now he needs to fix another mistake called Lombardi. It is not the end of the world, there is still cap space though given Army, Lombardi and Komi things are starting to tighter.
Let me explain this to you, (probably like explaining it to the cat) but anyway, the trade was made after the draft and after the prime free agents were gone so essentially the trading and signing period was over. Burke knew what he had for cap space and could therefore take on those contracts and improve his team depth with available cap space.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
  #136
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Let me explain this to you, (probably like explaining it to the cat) but anyway, the trade was made after the draft and after the prime free agents were gone so essentially the trading and signing period was over. Burke knew what he had for cap space and could therefore take on those contracts and improve his team depth with available cap space.
My cat says Burke is getting rid of a terrible signing because he prefers to not waive players
And your cat says he wanted to add team depth after which NSH quickly bought out Lebda

That about sums it up.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
  #137
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
I think Burke will make no trades.

This idea that you must unite the brothers is silly.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
  #138
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
Anyone who says JVR for Schenn is overpayment by the Flyers is out of their minds......
I agree. What has JVR done?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
  #139
thehealthyscratch
Registered User
 
thehealthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500



thehealthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:15 PM
  #140
Iceybigbucks
Registered User
 
Iceybigbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehealthyscratch View Post


Kovalchuck was thinking " through the head, not to the head" Brayden was thinking "how many pizza coupons would it take to gain as much power as my bro"

Iceybigbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
  #141
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,480
vCash: 500
Holy ****, I watched that video in bad quality but damn did Schenn get thrown like a rag doll there.

Did not know Kovalchuk was that strong.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
  #142
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I agree. What has JVR done?
He is known by an acronym. That means he's at least 4 or 5 times better.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
  #143
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yes. I thought I was the only one to see this.
Everyone raves about how we got something back for Lebda and Franson is great 1 to 1. But in reality he overspent by also acquiring Lombardi to get rid of his mistake Lebda.

Now he needs to fix another mistake called Lombardi. It is not the end of the world, there is still cap space though given Army, Lombardi and Komi things are starting to tighter.
In order to have franson for the next 10+ years, we absorbed lombardi for two.
Since we werent gonna compete for the cup anyways in these two years but are going to compete when franson is in his prime, I dont see what the problem is.

Lombardi isnt stoppping us from winning the cup. I hope you realize that.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
  #144
francis246
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
lol you can lock this trade about Schenn. Dreger just confirmed on TSN, Burke is keeping Luke Schenn.

francis246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
  #145
Maddog63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Dreger said Schenn isnt on the market, Burke plans to keep him.

On Insidertrading:

Maddog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
  #146
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
In order to have franson for the next 10+ years, we absorbed lombardi for two.
Since we werent gonna compete for the cup anyways in these two years but are going to compete when franson is in his prime, I dont see what the problem is.

Lombardi isnt stoppping us from winning the cup. I hope you realize that.
Really Burke thinks Franson is a key part of the leafs - the alternate #7 that somehow managed to outplay an injured Komisarek this season.

I have no problem - I was responding to whoever said that GM never take players who are concussed. And well like I said twice before, Burke has, when he wanted to get rid of a bad contract.

He probably tried the same for Orr but others GM probably laughed at him.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
  #147
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Which is the same as saying Franson is now the equivalent of having a $4.3 mil Dman in the line-up (sum of Lombardi ($3.5 mil) and Franson ($800k) combined) cap utilization, if the premise is based on Lombardi being a necessary evil to obtain Franson.

What Lombardi provides for his $3.5 mil ie 36 games 6 goals 6 assists 12 points could just as easily and cost effectively have been used on rookie Frattin 37 games 5 goals 5 assists 10 points for $1.3 mil (base + unearned bonuses).

Some would suggest that a better use of $4.3 mil cap could be found.. The situation complicated further by the fact that Franson playing has now pushed Komisarek (making $5.5 mil with a $4.5 mil cap hit) into the pressbox further wasting cap space on potential more productive and effective players. That makes both Lombardi and Komisarek needless and redundant in the process and opportunity loss to play Cody.

If you add up the dollars $$ invested/spent and wasted to obtain and have Franson in the line-up regularly it is not inconsequential nor insignificant to get 4 - 12 - 16 points from a 3rd pairing defender.

Hopefully if/when Burke plans on adding new players he is also diligent in trying to get rid of dead weight in the process.
Leafs can add a player making 4.7 million right now. Problem is they don't have the assets to acquire one or one isn't available that will make this team better.

Money isn't the problem here. The problem is talent or lack of. If Burke finds a player he likes he can move out money. See Blake, Toskala, Lebda, Mitchell, and Mayers all players thought to be untradeable.

Acquiring Franson a big, young developing defenseman with a big shot was a smart move by Burke. Franson has helped this club and even though Lombardi is getting paid too much he's far from the clubs worst player.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:14 PM
  #148
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Leafs can add a player making 4.7 million right now. Problem is they don't have the assets to acquire one or one isn't available that will make this team better.

Money isn't the problem here. The problem is talent or lack of. If Burke finds a player he likes he can move out money. See Blake, Toskala, Lebda, Mitchell, and Mayers all players thought to be untradeable.

Acquiring Franson a big, young developing defenseman with a big shot was a smart move by Burke. Franson has helped this club and even though Lombardi is getting paid too much he's far from the clubs worst player.
Frattin or Kadri instead of Lombardi
Aulie or Holzer instead of Franson
+3.5M extra cap space and 4th round pick

Leafs are not that much better off with Franson.
He contributes but is not irreplaceable.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
  #149
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Frattin or Kadri instead of Lombardi
Aulie or Holzer instead of Franson
+3.5M extra cap space and 4th round pick

Leafs are not that much better off with Franson.
He contributes but is not irreplaceable.
Franson has been real good lately. Better than Aulie was and Holzner is totally unproven at the NHL level. Those players playing in the minors are not as a result of Franson or Lombardi's 3.5 million.

Burke is playing his veterans leading up to the deadline -- like he did before last years trades etc. Once he moves a couple bodies for assets there will be room for everyone's man crushes. And when he does it move a dman it'll be nice having Franson around.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
  #150
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Franson has been real good lately. Better than Aulie was and Holzner is totally unproven at the NHL level. Those players playing in the minors are not as a result of Franson or Lombardi's 3.5 million.

Burke is playing his veterans leading up to the deadline -- like he did before last years trades etc. Once he moves a couple bodies for assets there will be room for everyone's man crushes. And when he does it move a dman it'll be nice having Franson around.
Yes better that is what I said he contributes.

But does he contribute enough that he worth 3.5M locked up in Lombardi when the leafs could ice Frattin and Aulie/Holzer (or play scratched komi).

Sure Burke could make a trade to move Lombardi. But the point all along was he accepted a worse contract to get rid of a bad contract (lebda).

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.