HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: NHL to begin random drug testing Sunday

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 06:14 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Report: NHL to begin random drug testing Sunday

Hope nobody gets popped on the CBJ. Just using a vegas odds mentality...every team has to have one or two. I know they take sudafed like its candy. Seen that live in the Cincy locker room.

Hope all are clean and welcome to the 21st century NHL. Way to start drug testing!!!

Have they never had drug testing before??

TORONTO -- After a delay, drug testing in the NHL will begin Sunday.

According to a report in the Toronto-based Globe and Mail, the NHL will begin its random testing for banned substances Sunday.

Testing had been delayed because the league and NHLPA wanted players and team medical personnel to attend a tutorial on substance abuse.

"I know I've been constantly watching what I put into my body," Oilers defenseman Chris Pronger told the Globe and Mail. "I think this process has us on edge because it's not an exact science."

According to the report, players will be tested randomly, up to twice a season, for prohibited substances such as anabolic steroids and growth hormones but not stimulants such as ephedrine, which is found in some cold medications.

The punishment for a first positive test is a 20-game suspension. A second offense carries a 60-game suspension and a third results in a permanent suspension.

When a player tests positive, he will be notified by the league and have the right of an appeal. If the appeal is denied, or a player does not appeal, the league and the NHLPA will make a joint announcement.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
futurcorerock

As far as I know, they've had drug testing, just not of the agressive type that Congress feels all pro sports should have.

I hate this topic because Congress is wrong on a number of levels.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
donniedarko

I hate our government....period...

Old
01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
PubOFH

Im not happy with them getting involved either but I still want to see an even playing field. Look how much baseball has changed in the last year. Remember the OLD days when good pitching always beat good hitting?? That went away during the stroid eara...or the freakin Braves would have won 8 WS titles. Im a purest as far as baseball goes..and love that its fixed again.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:50 AM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubstar
Im not happy with them getting involved either but I still want to see an even playing field. Look how much baseball has changed in the last year. Remember the OLD days when good pitching always beat good hitting?? That went away during the stroid eara...or the freakin Braves would have won 8 WS titles. Im a purest as far as baseball goes..and love that its fixed again.
It will never be "fixed" until there is a salary cap. When teams like the Florida Marlins won't have to look to relocate after they have won two world series. When small market teams can actually compete for free agents. When players finally play the game because its a game, and not all for the money, (Chipper Jones). And when Pete Rose FINALLY goes into the Hall of Fame...and on that note, why does MLB like Las Vegas when they are so against gambiling? And gambiling gets you kicked out of baseball....

Old
01-13-2006, 10:53 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
It will never be "fixed" until there is a salary cap. When teams like the Florida Marlins won't have to look to relocate after they have won two world series. When small market teams can actually compete for free agents. When players finally play the game because its a game, and not all for the money, (Chipper Jones). And when Pete Rose FINALLY goes into the Hall of Fame...and on that note, why does MLB like Las Vegas when they are so against gambiling? And gambiling gets you kicked out of baseball....
No doubt. No doubt. Problem is the system now makes 65% of the teams happy. The rich overspenders can spend all they want and the poor, not going to spend a dime, teams love it because they get free money. I dont ever see the system changing when you have idiots like George Steinbrenner and teams like the NYmets and Baltimore who have an endless supply of cash. Those owners are to strong and wont ever give in.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
donniedarko

It's so sad as the Marlins are my team. We have to trade of out best players for a chance to stay in south Florida. There is no other sport in the world that on the surface looks nice. But underneath is a cesspool of crap, and uncaring owners and politcians that only want the money, not equality.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:59 AM
futurcorerock

What angers me is some of the things that are assumed about steroids:

1) Dick Pound (which, by hearing his name should automatically send up red flags that this guy is a nut) and his assertion that 2/3 of the NHL is doped up. Are you kidding me? He used no statistical data, just hearsay and his own predictions to make such a statement -- This is borderline slander. Thank god nobody cares about the NHL right now, or it would've been all over the news.

2) Anabolic Steroid studies are murky, at best. Right now the only burden of proof is that steroids are very dangerous to teenagers' psychological development. Adults? No proof that a single adult has died as a result of using Anabolic steroids. Sounds a lot like the assertion that Marijuana is deadly.

So if Teens are the victims here... why isn't Alcohol banned outright? Oh thats right, Congress has no idea what it's talking about!

Closed Thread