HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk's MVP credentials

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1
Kovalchuk, as it stands now, is a candidate. Is he the front runner? Hard to say. we all know the Thrashers would be a totally different team without him in the lineup. But there are so many potential winners this year. Like Jagr, Alfie, Thornton, Forsberg, and so on. It could very well be the tightest race ever. But if the season were to end today, there wouldn't be a problem with any of the above being the winner. They all mean so much to their team, that a strong case could be made for each.
Personally I think that Jagr and Alfredsson have to be the frontrunners, with Kovalchuk and Kipursoff a step behind them.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
mazzinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Personally I think that Jagr and Alfredsson have to be the frontrunners, with Kovalchuk and Kipursoff a step behind them.
I fully agree about Alfie. Just look at how the team struggled in the four games he missed. Then he comes back, and they play so much better. If the season ended today, Aflie would get my vote for sure.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
It's entirely possible his numbers would be better had he gotten a training camp under his belt.
It's possible that I win the lottery tommorow too.

Hypotheticals don't improve his chance at MVP. He's played his way into the running.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
I agree that he is a candidate HOWEVER, his not being int raining camp is totally irrelevant when it comes to selecting the MVP, especially when his absence was his own doing.
It is irrelevant if used as a reason as to why he should get the MVP if it was voted today, I agree. He was definitely not up to NHL speed, and definitely out of synch with his team etc., but that was largely his own doing.

You could see (both by watching him and the scoresheet) he was getting closer to post-training camp level from his 5th game onwards.. Since then, he's been scoring at 1.73 points per game. While you can't use his slow start as a reason for him to win MVP today, it is relevant in projecting who will win the Hart 40-odd games from now, since he has been scoring more than anyone since he got his game legs back. If Kovalchuk can lead the Thrashers to the playoffs as the clear-cut Art Ross winner he would certainly pick up a lot of Hart Trophy votes..

Interesting side note: Jagr had a 12 point lead on Kovalchuk not even two weeks ago.

Old
01-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
not with his -2 or -3 w/e he is...

theres other players with more the same or almost the same amount of points, on a getting winning team, that has good +/-... Ottawa's top 3 Jagr ext ext ext
Quit overrating plus/minus...especially with the goalie issues ATL has had.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
revolverjgw

Kovalchuk's been awesome, as has Jagr, but I'd still give it to Alfredsson. He's pretty much kept pace with them offensively, and he's a more versatile player, and a better leader. He's just playing on a team that's too good (of course that's largely because of him).

Old
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Taxman

Kovalchuk will have an edge in voter's minds because he is only 22, compared to Jagr and Alfredsson who are much older. In fact, when Alfredsson was Kovalchuk's current age, he wasn't even in the NHL yet. Sure, age shouldn't matter, but the fact that Kovalchuk is doing what he is doing as such a young age IS damn impressive and gives him bonus points. Plus, he missed the first 4 games of the season because he hadn't signed yet. He would almost for sure have more points than jagr if he had played as many games.

It is also true that it took Kovy a good 5 games before he was back to his former self after his holdout at the beginning of the year. Hartley, Kovalchuk, and even the announcers talked about how out of sync Kovy was at the start of the season, with little jump on his first moves. He only had 2 points through the first 5 games.

He has been on an absolute tear ever since. If he keeps up this pace, he should win the scoring title by a decent margin, really helping out his MVP chances.

Since those 5 games, in 36 games played, his stats are:

32 Goals
31 Assists
63 Points

That is a ridiculous pace. If he keeps up that pace for the last 37 games of the Thrashers season (and he plays in all of the games), he will finish up the year with:

65.9 Goals
63.8 Assists
129.7 Points

Last edited by Taxman: 01-12-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Kovalchuk is the flash, but I think Hossa and Savard are the ones I would go with for a Thrashers MVP.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Form and Substance

Savard is one hell of a darkhorse, he's piling up the points and has been amazingly consistent scoring wise, but the driving force of the team is Kovalchuk.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:47 AM
shawn_kemp*

Kovalchuk for president! He is the MVP!

*The Kovalchuk Army*

Old
01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
futurcorerock

Jagr has bank on Kovalchuk... but if Kovy steps it up even more, he's my pick.

Closed Thread