HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best shot blocking team?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
this my friend, is the little things that win you stanley cups, and why the flames are serious contenders this year.
they aren't serious contenders until they start scoring at at least a mediocre level.

Old
01-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by senskickass12
I know NHL.com has individual players statistics for shots blocked under RTSS player stats so I added each teams up. (It is possible there are a few minor calculation errors but it should atleast give you a good idea of the rankings)

Colorado 689 (Karlis Skrastins leads the league with 123, Blake is 4th with 99)
Edmonton 637
St Louis 619
Buffalo 606
Carolina 606
NYR 601
Toronto 583
NYI 579
Tampa Bay 574
Washington 572
Pittsburgh 567
Los Angeles 562
Boston 554
Atlanta 546
Minnesota 527
Ottawa 527
Nashville 512
Calgary 501
Dallas 500
Vancouver 500
Philadelphia 499
Montreal 488
Detroit 482
Florida 475
Phoenix 463
Chicago 457
Columbus 437
New Jersey 462
San Jose 402
Anaheim 328

The only teams that have had every player who's suited up for atleast one game have a shot blocked are Calgary, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, San Jose, and Toronto.
I keep track of blocked shots on Excel. This is the blocked shots prior to tonight's games. I've been keept track since the season started from the super stats on NHL.Com

Colorado - 689
Edmonton - 643
Pittsburgh - 606
NY Rangers - 599
Toronto - 597
Carolina - 584
NY Islanders - 580
Washington - 572
Los Angeles - 562
Tampa Bay - 559
Philadelphia - 555
Buffalo - 552
Atlanta - 547
St. Louis - 537
Minnesota - 532
Boston - 527
Ottawa - 527
Nashville - 512
Vancouver - 506
Calgary - 497
Detroit - 495
Montreal - 488
Dallas - 487
Florida - 481
Phoenix - 480
New Jersey - 472
Chicago - 464
Columbus - 461
San Jose - 433
Anaheim - 314

Old
01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
MayDay

Tough to say which is the best shot-blocking team, unless you just go by absolute numbers, as above.

But Jay McKee of the Buffalo Sabres is the best shot-blocker in the league, hands down.

Last time I checked, he was way out in front of everyone else in number of shots blocked, in several fewer games played than most of the people on the list.

Old
01-09-2006, 01:24 PM
HfxMoose

Flames or Oilers.

Old
01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
west in the east

If the numbers above are right, I must say that Im surprised that the nucks have mroe than Calgary. For that matter that Calgary is so low. I thought theyd be one of the best.

Old
01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Buffalo Stylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky
I keep track of blocked shots on Excel. This is the blocked shots prior to tonight's games. I've been keept track since the season started from the super stats on NHL.Com

Colorado - 689
Edmonton - 643
Pittsburgh - 606
NY Rangers - 599
Toronto - 597
Carolina - 584
NY Islanders - 580
Washington - 572
Los Angeles - 562
Tampa Bay - 559
Philadelphia - 555
Buffalo - 552
Atlanta - 547
St. Louis - 537
Minnesota - 532
Boston - 527
Ottawa - 527
Nashville - 512
Vancouver - 506
Calgary - 497
Detroit - 495
Montreal - 488
Dallas - 487
Florida - 481
Phoenix - 480
New Jersey - 472
Chicago - 464
Columbus - 461
San Jose - 433
Anaheim - 314
Well you did a piss-poor job. The Sabres have a lot more blocked shots than that.

Old
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Homer J. Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Flames are probably the best in this department, but an honourable mention goes out to the Hurricanes. Those guys play extremely well as a team. They block enough shots to drive a man crazy.

off-off-off:
Man I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!
The Boondock Saints is one of my favourite movies ever!!!
Classic!

on:
never knew the Leafs are this good blocking shots
but I guess you have to block some if you gave up more shots than the other team nights in nights out. I pretty sure among the playoff teams (based on tonights standings) Leafs have the worst SOGAA

Last edited by Homer J. Leafs: 01-09-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Bileur

Stats really shut down this discussion. Good work guys (no sarcasm intended it must have taken a long time to compile). Didnt expect Calgary to en up in the bottom half.

Old
01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Sounds corny, but watching them a lot this season - and especially last night in Vancouver - you will not find a more courageous bunch when it comes to sacrificing their bodies to block shots. Was amazing and impressive to me that those guys were taking rubber like it was Game Seven of the Cup Finals...instead of a mid-season game. Good stuff.

If ever a team reflected it's coach in demeanor....
You can't touch a flame when it's red hot.

Old
01-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay
Tough to say which is the best shot-blocking team, unless you just go by absolute numbers, as above.

But Jay McKee of the Buffalo Sabres is the best shot-blocker in the league, hands down.

Last time I checked, he was way out in front of everyone else in number of shots blocked, in several fewer games played than most of the people on the list.
I am pretty sure Karlis Skrastins has been the leader most of the year. What's really impressive is that he's also the current NHL iron man. McKee is good at it, but Skrastins might be better. I say might because I don't see too many Buffalo games. I eat tons of Buffalo wings, though.

Old
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Plastic Sabre
Well you did a piss-poor job. The Sabres have a lot more blocked shots than that.

He did a poor job of adding up the stats?
Simple addition isn't exactly terribly difficult to do. He's not offering an opinion, he's looking at the actual real world factual statistics.

It's hard to argue with that.

01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
I am pretty sure Karlis Skrastins has been the leader most of the year.
Last time I checked, McKee was in front. But you're right, Skrastins is now in 1st (126 BkS) and McKee in 2nd (115 BkS).

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?se...tssPlayerStats

It's worth noting that Skrastins has 7 more games played than McKee, who missed a few games due to injury.

To this point in the year, McKee is averaging 3.19 BkS/game, and Skrastins 2.93 BkS/game. So I stand by my assertion that McKee is the better shot blocker, but clearly both are pretty good.

Old
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Heavy Fuel

This is one of those stats that may vary from building to building. When they still recorded hits this was often a sore spot in negotiations. A generous scorer could add in borderline hits and it didn't concern anybody until contract time. Then a player could point to it and claim that he had just as many hits as Joe SmackYourFaceInTheBoards so he was worth just as much. Of course the owners would play the opposite game. Now this year the league has abandoned hitting statistics.

The arguments towards not blocking shots is that it does lead to injuries. In the old NHL it made sense to clear the front of the net with your big d-man and let the goalie see the shot. The other defensive players would tie up the opposing forwards and the rebound would be covered or cleared. Blocking shots was reserved for important occasions like PK or playoffs.

Now that clearing the front of the net and tying up forwards is being penalized, shot blocking has made a big comeback. Teams can't afford to let a goalie just make the stop and have a rebound lying around. Keeping the puck on the perimeter by blocking shots became a lot more important as a defensive style.

Old
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I heard Sutter whip his players when they don`t block shots. Good old "tough love" from the prairies!

Old
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
theoil

It is not at all surprising to me that the top three shot blocking teams have all had goalies in net that their team has no confidence in. You always play differently when you don't trust the guy behind you or beside you. You start to cheat. Kiprusoff gets a lot of love on this board so it is not my intention to add to it but imo it is he that makes the defence look better than it is rather than them making him look better than he is - if that made sense.

And I would trade our record for shot blocking in a minute for a goalie that was even middle of the pack.

Old
01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
It is not at all surprising to me that the top three shot blocking teams have all had goalies in net that their team has no confidence in. You always play differently when you don't trust the guy behind you or beside you. You start to cheat. Kiprusoff gets a lot of love on this board so it is not my intention to add to it but imo it is he that makes the defence look better than it is rather than them making him look better than he is - if that made sense.

And I would trade our record for shot blocking in a minute for a goalie that was even middle of the pack.
..then that would be the key to give Theo his confidence back in Montreal! Paging Julien.

Old
01-09-2006, 05:22 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
He did a poor job of adding up the stats?
Simple addition isn't exactly terribly difficult to do. He's not offering an opinion, he's looking at the actual real world factual statistics.

It's hard to argue with that.
While I don't agree with the tone of FPS's post, he's right, the Buffalo totals are wrong, according to the Sabres players totals from the nhl.com stats page.

Before the game played that night, Buffalo had 606. Add 5 (a poor, poor performance), and you get 611 for the year so far.

550 was way off.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I would tend to agree with that comment. Guys like Smith and Pronger aren't allowed to just knock players down in front of the net like they used to so they need to do something else to prevent the opposing team from scoring. Good positioning will partially do the job but it's essentially impossible to get a guy like Bertuzzi out of the crease anymore without either getting lucky or taking a penalty.

For that reason, a lot of defencemen are paying more attention to the guy shooting the puck rather than the guy standing in front of the net. Prevent the shot from getting to the keeper and you don't need to worry about what the big guy in front of your goaltender will do. The strategy has worked at times for the Oilers but it's also failed a bunch as well (check out Matt Greene trying to slide and prevent a Toronto shot from getting on goal tonight ).
This is a bit of a late reply, but I was going somewhere with that question.

1. With the number of players blocking shots increasing - especially in defenseman - does this raise an issue to the players and maybe the PA that this could be lead to far more injuries, and maybe serious ones? I think it was Harry Sinden that said it first, and he thought we were all nuts, but I'm slowly realizing he may just have a point... we might see a player go down like a Trent McCleary (? the Hab who blocked a shot with his throat).

2. With the introdution of "zero tolerance" in front of the net, we may actually be seeing a step backward for the NHL, not forward. By allowing forwards to freely go to the net unchecked and unchallenged, it actually places a higher significance to coaching and systems more then any before. I noticed this trend over the past 3 months that there is just no more open ice anymore. The "new NHL" forces defensive systems to clog up shooting lanes and passing lanes to create turnovers. With the new found freeness of forwards driving to the net, it only places a greater emphasis on zone possetion and clogging up high percentage zones to create turnovers.

Funny the way the NHL evolves.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:08 AM
tom_servo

Whoever's playing the Penguins.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Bajahobo

Send a message via AIM to Bajahobo Send a message via MSN to Bajahobo
I hate to give the Leafs any credit, but for the past five years or so they have been one of the best shot blocking teams in the league.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:38 AM
Speedyturtle

I would've thought Calgary would be pretty high due to their defensive style but I think a big focus for that team is to take out the opponents body rather than blocking shots. Usually when you play them its hard to get shots off because they play such a high pressure, forechecking game so maybe that's why they aren't as high on that shotblocking list.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
they aren't serious contenders until they start scoring at at least a mediocre level.
The Flames ARE serious contenders until other teams start scoring against them at least at a mediocre level.

It works both ways.

Last edited by HellsBells: 01-12-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old
01-12-2006, 12:06 PM
19nazzy

Wow, I never thought the Avs were in first, I would've thought it was the Oilers. They always seem to block a thousand shots each game.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDoyle
well alfie blocked a monster shot from that........... chara guy i think his name is. that surely would have been a goal had #11 not sacrificed his ribs for the team.
Alfies first shift back from a broken rib he blocked a shot from Phoenix. But Alfie is god in case you didn't know this yet.

Old
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Speedyturtle

I'm surprised the Oilers are still relatively healthy despite all the blocked shots they take. I guess since they practise it so much, they know how to avoid injuries better.

Closed Thread