HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gallagher

Old
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
DrunkenHabz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Perfect replacement for Gionta whose contract is up in 2 years. Both small guys in height but all they do is score dirty goals.
Not to mention Gallagher is such a better set-up man then Gio is. He has a vision similar to St-Louis or Desharnais, small but very intelligent with the puck. And yeah, 2 years in the AHL will do fine.

I just hope Gauthier's not gonna throw him out the window now that he embraces the Size Matters argument.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
That's definitely part of it. But it seems as if he missed 17 games, so maybe he had a minor injury or something that wasn't that important and thus wasn't a huge deal on the forum.
Miss a few games because was at Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Miss a few games because was at WJC-U-20 Training Camp AND Tournament

Miss a few games in mid-january because of minor injuries

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Zeroknowledge*

He will definitely play some games next year in Montreal. Won't be surprised if he follows Leblanc's path and only plays 25-40 games or so in the AHL and gets promoted.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Perfect replacement for Gionta whose contract is up in 2 years. Both small guys in height but all they do is score dirty goals.
I kind of agree, and the timing of this is pretty much why I think Gallagher has a real shot at cracking the Habs. I still wouldn't be surprised, though, if he doesn't make it all the way to the top. I remain very, very skeptical of junior offensive production of undersized players, even if I'm impressed at the way they play the game when I actually watch them. So much can get lost in translation through the jumps to the AHL, then NHL, that you can't safely assume that even a guy with his numbers and style of play will be able to make it work as effectively as someone like Gionta or St. Louis at the top level. And yeah, that's largely because of his size, unfortunately. Here's hoping he avoids injury long enough to impress us.

This also assumes, of course, that a "replacement" is sought after, and not an "improvement". Hard to really say until we see when he's ready, and who's in the way in terms of depth chart at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
He will definitely play some games next year in Montreal.
I'd love to see it. He'd probably be super stoked about it too, obviously. Would be good to give him an idea of the physical compete level, and would be interesting to see how he handles it. Of course, I think it's most likely that the only taste of that he gets might be in camp/preseason, and that it would take something drastic to make them pluck him out of Hamilton any time next year for regular season games.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
groovejuice

I have a feeling he could be a great addition to the club. Love his energy and compete level.

But in fairness, I also thought Fran Huck would star for the Habs...sigh

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Maybe already brought up, but I don't want to waste one of his RFA years. Especially for this season.

Look at NYI with Nino and CBJ with Johansen. Both wasted an RFA year, and its not getting them a whole lot.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It didn't hurt Desharnais at all to have a couple of pretty dominant years in Hamilton. I think it mostly depends on team needs... true, if our lineup is really thin or injuries hit us and the young player in the minors is actually our best option to turn to (like Leblanc is now), then you can't help calling him up.

But to me, in an ideal world, even if Gallagher does have a good camp again, and makes a case for being "able" to stick in the NHL, I'd still like to hope that we have 13 other forwards who are already established, healthy, and also making cases. Our GM should really be trying to put together a roster this summer that doesn't include Gallagher's name on it. And then if that roster performs as expected and stays healthy, it basically shouldn't matter what Gallagher does. There's no harm in him learning to compensate on size/speed incrementally and ripping it up in Hamilton, if he can, like Desharnais did. His time will come.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Not to mention Gallagher is such a better set-up man then Gio is. He has a vision similar to St-Louis or Desharnais, small but very intelligent with the puck. And yeah, 2 years in the AHL will do fine.

I just hope Gauthier's not gonna throw him out the window now that he embraces the Size Matters argument.
To be honest, I don't think its an issue at all, in regards to the size matters argument, because I think PG knows the difference in between a small guy like Cammy and Gionta/Gallagher, guys like Gionta just score goals around the net. I don't know much about Gallagher but from what I read and I've read he plays the same game.

Funny thing is I looked up all of Gionta goals with since join the habs, 90% are just him around the cease, pretty amazing.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It didn't hurt Desharnais at all to have a couple of pretty dominant years in Hamilton. I think it mostly depends on team needs... true, if our lineup is really thin or injuries hit us and the young player in the minors is actually our best option to turn to (like Leblanc is now), then you can't help calling him up.

But to me, in an ideal world, even if Gallagher does have a good camp again, and makes a case for being "able" to stick in the NHL, I'd still like to hope that we have 13 other forwards who are already established, healthy, and also making cases. Our GM should really be trying to put together a roster this summer that doesn't include Gallagher's name on it. And then if that roster performs as expected and stays healthy, it basically shouldn't matter what Gallagher does. There's no harm in him learning to compensate on size/speed incrementally and ripping it up in Hamilton, if he can, like Desharnais did. His time will come.

Well, we can probably say there is no point in Gallagher being in the NHL unless he's playing top nine. He's an obligate right winger so that leaves 3 roster spots.

If Gionta and Cole are still with the team that takes two.
Leblanc and Palushaj are both further along in their development and could take the 3rd spot, so could Kosititsyn depending on how free agency goes. Kristo could also be ahead of him on the team depth chart but that's pretty iffy at this point.

So there really shouldn't be any reason to play Gallagher next year unless he's lights out good to start the season. Then you pretty much have to accept your blessing and run with him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:02 PM
BoNeS42

While looking at Patrick Hollands post, I noticed that Brendan Gallagher was also ranked quite often in the Best of the West in the WHL.

5th Best Skater (Holland was 3rd)
4th Most Irritating Player
4th Best Pro Prospect
1st Most Valuable to Team
4th Most Accurate Shot

Pretty nice! I hope he can gain 10-15lbs of muscle in the summer and IMO he will be ready for the big league, he seems to be mentally ready.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post

If he can get rid of Gionta before Gallagher is promoted. No problem.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote