HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jonathon Bernier being showcased

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
  #1
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,397
vCash: 500
Jonathon Bernier being showcased

Anyone else find it odd that Jonathon Quick was replaced after 2 goals against the Florida Panthers. Is the organization trying to show Bernier off for the trade deadline? Let me know your thoughts people!

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
  #2
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Anyone else find it odd that Jonathon Quick was replaced after 2 goals against the Florida Panthers. Is the organization trying to show Bernier off for the trade deadline? Let me know your thoughts people!
No, it was just Sutter's way of saying to the team during a pathetic effort, "Wake the **** up!".

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
  #3
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,919
vCash: 500
Jonathon "The Marathon" Bernier should not be shopped until Quick signs an extension.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
  #4
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Nope

That was Sutter saying" Quick is not going to save you guys tonight".

The League knows by now what Johnny B brings to the table.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
  #5
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,204
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Bernier doesn't need to be shopped.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
  #6
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Trying to see what life will be like when Quick is traded and Bernier is our starter. I like it.

Note: No reason to troll me. Its my opinion that I like Bernier more. I know most will disagree. I get it.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  #7
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,227
vCash: 500
Not a chance. When your team is fighting desperately for a playoff spot, you don't showcase a player for trade in a two-goal game. Makes zero sense.

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  #8
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Nope. St Louis pulled Halek tonight for the same reason, trying to shake the team awake. It worked for St Louis tonight, as they got the win in the SO. Not so much for the Kings, but Bernier did play well, so that's a good thing.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:47 PM
  #9
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
Who is this Jonathon Bernier that you speak of?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
  #10
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
I like that name. In fact, with that name he would have been our #1 goalie. Jonathon Bernier. Has that SC ring to it.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
  #11
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Joanathon Berniea IS being shopped.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
  #12
greengiant91
Registered User
 
greengiant91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Trying to see what life will be like when Quick is traded and Bernier is our starter. I like it.

Note: No reason to troll me. Its my opinion that I like Bernier more. I know most will disagree. I get it.
This!

greengiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:55 PM
  #13
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Trying to see what life will be like when Quick is traded and Bernier is our starter. I like it.

Note: No reason to troll me. Its my opinion that I like Bernier more. I know most will disagree. I get it.
So wouldn't you do that by....starting Bernier?


not putting him in just for the 3rd period of a 2-0 game.....


I understand about having your own opinion and all...but at least make sense with it. No reason to troll you if it actually makes sense

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
  #14
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Man, just got home, saw the box score, went, oh ****, how bad is Quick hurt...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
  #15
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
So wouldn't you do that by....starting Bernier?


not putting him in just for the 3rd period of a 2-0 game.....


I understand about having your own opinion and all...but at least make sense with it. No reason to troll you if it actually makes sense
Darryl's too stupid to play Bernier. Why do you think Kipprusoff played like 70-72 games a year under him? Yes they didn't have a backup as good as Bernier but playing any starter that much is a cause for concern come playoff time. Point of this post is that Darryl hates backups.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
  #16
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Man, just got home, saw the box score, went, oh ****, how bad is Quick hurt...
Pulled, not hurt. Sent a message. Bunch of guy sat in the third.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
  #17
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Man, just got home, saw the box score, went, oh ****, how bad is Quick hurt...
He isn't. Team just sucked so sutter put Bernier in for more life. As you can tell, it didnt work

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:05 AM
  #18
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,648
vCash: 863
This isn't The Price is right. This was not about bidding the closest without going over and getting both showcases if you are within $500.

Have none of you not named Face wash ever seen a goalie being pulled to send a message to the team?

Really?

It was a motivational tactic.

End of line.


Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 02-10-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:10 AM
  #19
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Trying to see what life will be like when Quick is traded and Bernier is our starter. I like it.

Note: No reason to troll me. Its my opinion that I like Bernier more. I know most will disagree. I get it.
Not trying to troll, but do you really want to trade a top 5 goalie in the league for yet another 25-30 goal scorer to come in and score 10-15 goals?

No freaking way. Quick is the ONLY reason the kings are not sitting in position for the #1 draft pick all year.

Bernier is going to be good, but I can't see him being any better than Quick at this point....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
  #20
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Not trying to troll, but do you really want to trade a top 5 goalie in the league for yet another 25-30 goal scorer to come in and score 10-15 goals?

No freaking way. Quick is the ONLY reason the kings are not sitting in position for the #1 draft pick all year.

Bernier is going to be good, but I can't see him being any better than Quick at this point....
Your opinion. I have my own and I firmly believe that Quick is not a top 5 goalie. He is absolutely the most athletic and probably flashiest goalie in the NHL but as someone who has played the position for 12 years now, I find his fundamentals to be very poor for an NHL starter.

He doesn't hug the post, nor does he go with the pad vertical with the post technique, which is highly effective on so many levels, and I also think his angles aren't up there with the elite of the elite goalies. Also, he tends to make terrible reads on some butterfly slides. For example, when he slides to a puck close in to the net, you're not supposed to go just straight at the puck because its easy for shooters to make one single deke and go around you and bury the puck. I was taught by my goalie coach, a former NHL backup goalie, a former NHL player who played for roughly 12 years (and was once a King), as well as every goalie camp I ever went to that you are to slide to the opposite post and not straight at the puck.

Again this is me. My opinion is that since Quick has the much higher value, he could get a better return ala the scorer we need and Bernier would very very easily be able to start for this team and be an elite level starter. Bernier isn't nearly as athletic as Quick but his fundamentals are far better. I totally understand that you guys love Quick. I do not hate the guy at all. Its just my opinion that I personally think Bernier will be better.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:23 AM
  #21
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Your opinion. I have my own and I firmly believe that Quick is not a top 5 goalie. He is absolutely the most athletic and probably flashiest goalie in the NHL but as someone who has played the position for 12 years now, I find his fundamentals to be very poor for an NHL starter.

He doesn't hug the post, nor does he go with the pad vertical with the post technique, which is highly effective on so many levels, and I also think his angles aren't up there with the elite of the elite goalies. Also, he tends to make terrible reads on some butterfly slides. For example, when he slides to a puck close in to the net, you're not supposed to go just straight at the puck because its easy for shooters to make one single deke and go around you and bury the puck. I was taught by my goalie coach, a former NHL backup goalie, a former NHL player who played for roughly 12 years (and was once a King), as well as every goalie camp I ever went to that you are to slide to the opposite post and not straight at the puck.

Again this is me. My opinion is that since Quick has the much higher value, he could get a better return ala the scorer we need and Bernier would very very easily be able to start for this team and be an elite level starter. Bernier isn't nearly as athletic as Quick but his fundamentals are far better. I totally understand that you guys love Quick. I do not hate the guy at all. Its just my opinion that I personally think Bernier will be better.
Completely disagree, unless I am misunderstanding you here on fundamentals,

Quick's angles, are absolutely dead on, very rarely will you see him play the wrong angle.

As far as playing the post vertically, that's been...gone for a while now, take a look, most goalies now have the paddle down when on the post and the puck is in close.

As far as the butterfly slides/push offs, you absolutely push to the puck, 100% of the time, every time, it makes it HARDER for the shooter to go around you, or pick a corner, you make yourself big, there is a reason why you RARELY see Quick allow a goal from one of the butterfly posts, he goes right to the puck, and makes himself big, and they hit him with it all the time.

Bernier plays a different style, is more calm, but Quick is the better goaltender, by far.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:30 AM
  #22
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Completely disagree, unless I am misunderstanding you here on fundamentals,

Quick's angles, are absolutely dead on, very rarely will you see him play the wrong angle.

As far as playing the post vertically, that's been...gone for a while now, take a look, most goalies now have the paddle down when on the post and the puck is in close.

As far as the butterfly slides/push offs, you absolutely push to the puck, 100% of the time, every time, it makes it HARDER for the shooter to go around you, or pick a corner, you make yourself big, there is a reason why you RARELY see Quick allow a goal from one of the butterfly posts, he goes right to the puck, and makes himself big, and they hit him with it all the time.

Bernier plays a different style, is more calm, but Quick is the better goaltender, by far.
I've seen him take bad angles time. Its not the worst part of his game at all but to me, there is room for improvement.

Post vertically is most certainly not gone. Regardless of if it is or not, his tactic is absolutely awful. He goes butterfly and leans to the side where the puck is. The reason for the leg up on the post is to have your legs loaded and ready to slide at a moments notice. While this isn't really the biggest issue, the issues comes that Quick has let multiple goals in from below the goal line.

As for going right to the puck, no. The scenario I meant to say was when the puck was on the other side of the net and a few feet from the crease. You absolutely do not go straight to the puck because one deke and its an easy goal. Again this is my opinion that I have picked up from years of goaltending.

I'll end with this. I think Quick is a good goalie but I much prefer a fundamental goalie than an athletic one. Strong fundamentals compensate for less athleticism. Atheticism doesn't always compensate for not strong fundamentals.


Again, all my opinion. I fully expect NO ONE to agree with me. Why would anyone start now...

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:35 AM
  #23
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I've seen him take bad angles time. Its not the worst part of his game at all but to me, there is room for improvement.

Post vertically is most certainly not gone. Regardless of if it is or not, his tactic is absolutely awful. He goes butterfly and leans to the side where the puck is. The reason for the leg up on the post is to have your legs loaded and ready to slide at a moments notice. While this isn't really the biggest issue, the issues comes that Quick has let multiple goals in from below the goal line.

As for going right to the puck, no. The scenario I meant to say was when the puck was on the other side of the net and a few feet from the crease. You absolutely do not go straight to the puck because one deke and its an easy goal. Again this is my opinion that I have picked up from years of goaltending.

I'll end with this. I think Quick is a good goalie but I much prefer a fundamental goalie than an athletic one. Strong fundamentals compensate for less athleticism. Atheticism doesn't always compensate for not strong fundamentals.


Again, all my opinion. I fully expect NO ONE to agree with me. Why would anyone start now...
Not computing your scenario then, the puck is on the other side of the net, and a few feet from the crease, why the hell isn't he lined up with the puck? If you are talking about a quick crease pass when he is already down, he has the leg strength to push off there, and again, absolutely to the puck, there is a reason he makes those saves, and going to the post is not one of them.

Also, as far as the vertical post, again, he has such leg strength, that he doesn't need to use the post to push off of to get to the other side, which is what you are talking about when you say "The reason for the leg up on the post is to have your legs loaded and ready to slide at a moments notice." Quick absolutely has no need to load up like that and if you don't think he's one of the quickest at getting across the net and needs to improve by loading up, not sure what I can tell you...

Oh, and this only my 25 years of goaltending experience talking But like I said, you might be talking about a different scenario there...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:39 AM
  #24
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
This isn't The Price is right. This was not about bidding the closest without going over and getting both showcases if you are within $500.

Have none of you not named Face wash ever seen a goalie being pulled to send a message to the team?

Really?

It was a motivational tactic.

End of line.
Stop Trolling! You Trolling Troller from Trollerville!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM
  #25
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Not computing your scenario then, the puck is on the other side of the net, and a few feet from the crease, why the hell isn't he lined up with the puck? If you are talking about a quick crease pass when he is already down, he has the leg strength to push off there, and again, absolutely to the puck, there is a reason he makes those saves, and going to the post is not one of them.

Also, as far as the vertical post, again, he has such leg strength, that he doesn't need to use the post to push off of to get to the other side, which is what you are talking about when you say "The reason for the leg up on the post is to have your legs loaded and ready to slide at a moments notice." Quick absolutely has no need to load up like that and if you don't think he's one of the quickest at getting across the net and needs to improve by loading up, not sure what I can tell you...

Oh, and this only my 25 years of goaltending experience talking But like I said, you might be talking about a different scenario there...
Scenario I mean is when there is a loose puck on the opposite side of the crease and it is at a close angle to the net. I understand what you mean about taking away the angle but every single goalie coach I've ever had, including the goalie that was an NHLer, told me in the scenario, slide to the post. Earlier this year Quick got beat on the exact scenario I have in my head because he slid right at the puck, he got deked out, and scored on. If he takes a deeper angle, that doesn't happen.

The reason I bring up the leg to the post is again because he is very susceptible to being scored on from behind the red line. If he hugs the post when the puck is behind the goal line and he's in the vertical leg position, he doesn't get scored on in that manner. And I said in the previous post the mobility thing isn't an issue. But it certainly can't hurt him one bit to be ready to slide instead of having to load up his leg and then slide.

Sorry. I'm bad at describing things obviously. And maybe your 25 years of goaltending is because back when you first learned, they still didn't wear masks (I'm kidding. I'm not THAT retarded)

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.