HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NOW, who is the worst GM in hockey?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Safir*

vCash: 500
McLean

- gives Nash a hefty contract that IMO already destroyed the new NHL in the their first offseason. It set the tone other key UFA like Thornton, Hossa or Kovalchuk.

- Marchant has a carrer season for the Oilers, the Jackets sign him and boom he goes back to being normal in Ohio...Good job Douggy.

- Deals Marchant away for Sergei Federov. A guys that had a couple of year left one his fat contract. Feds ain't worth his 6+ million.

- Why the hell did he sign Hrdina and Letowski? In general his sign those two-way center ice man.

- Why did he signed Foote, when the Jackets needed blueline deepth?

- Could have drafted Picard later in 2004 (trade down.) Tukonen was labelled as a very good player before the draft.

- As an expansion franchise GM he tried to sign players rather than drafting them. Minnesota owns them in terms of prospects (both teams entered the NHL in 2000.)BTW that includes the playoffs.

- Why in the world does Richardson earn over 2 million?

Old
01-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
Recent indications may also show he underpaid for rick Nash.
No way! Nash sucks man! Didn't you get the memo?

Old
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei fan
The players they're building from the ground up look very promising. Klesa is looking awesome right now (but was injured for quite a while).LeClaire is starting to mature and certainly looks to have the potential of a top notch goalie.Let's not forget the Nash pick which is looking better all the time when you consider how Bouwmeester is doing.There are others as well but like I said if your deciding it on the teamhe has now,let's wait and see how good the team is when they're healthy.Recent indications show they may not be too bad.Recent indications may also show he underpaid for rick Nash.
Recent indications are very, very misleading. Since their loss to Nashville, they have 5 wins and 3 losses. But their wins aren't exactly coming against the crŤme de la crŤme. They have beaten Chicago (twice), Pitt, Anaheim, and Phoenix. Not exactly murderers row. The good teams they have faced have beaten them squarely. Dallas, Detroit, and Colorado won by a combined score of 14-7. Their injury status is now equal to that of most of the teams in the league and has been since Nash's return.

Right now, this optimism is riding off blowout wins over Phoenix and Pitt. But until the Buff game, Phoenix had lost it's last 4 games by a combined 20-6. And Pittsburgh, well, you know all about them. I'd like to see Columbus start beating teams that aren't in the middle of terrible slumps. Until they do that, all this talk of how good they have been can wait. I think they have it in them to make some waves, but I think we are jumping on the bandwagon way too soon right now. They have big games coming up against average teams like Tampa Bay and Florida. If they romp through those teams, then I'll be more inclined to say they are turning it around.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Right now, this optimism is riding off blowout wins over Phoenix and Pitt. But until the Buff game, Phoenix had lost it's last 4 games by a combined 20-6. And Pittsburgh, well, you know all about them. I'd like to see Columbus start beating teams that aren't in the middle of terrible slumps. Until they do that, all this talk of how good they have been can wait. I think they have it in them to make some waves, but I think we are jumping on the bandwagon way too soon right now. They have big games coming up against average teams like Tampa Bay and Florida. If they romp through those teams, then I'll be more inclined to say they are turning it around.
As will most Columbus fans.

Assembling talent has not been the problem in Columbus. We've had what could be considered talented teams every season, and the talent level has certainly gone up every year. Coaching has been the biggest problem. Mclean fired King at the wrong time, (in retrospect) never should have gone behind the bench, and Gallant, well, we'll see, but the early returns haven't been good until the last couple of weeks. King would probably be a good coach for this team now.

In any case, it's unfair to judge Mclean based on this season. While the CBJ may be comparable at present to other teams' injury status, they were far worse off at the start of the season and things got progressively worse. For a young team that lacks scoring depth, they couldn't afford the loss of Rick Nash and Feds wasn't healthy enough to pick the team up by himself when he got here. The 2 together OTOH - since Feds has gotten in better shape and started playing with Nash, have improved Zherdev's play which has taken the pressure off our second line. Things are falling into place offensively. If Nash was still injured though, you can bet your bottom dollar, the CBJ would've lost at least 1 of the 2 games against Phoenix or Pittsburgh, if not both.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Lots of thoughts. Forgive the randomness.

Aside from Smokey, I have yet to hear any decent arguments about why MacLean is the worst?
People just post -- MacLean -- like a bunch of lemmings and leave it at that.

You want to point at the record, fine. That is legit. A lot of moves, little result? Absolutely.
But through it all, heís kept all the youth and theyíre developing. Despite what people think, the FA signings heís made have not handcuffed the team. Some have been failures, for sure.
They havenít been screwed over on many trades. He really has never cast off any real players of consequence.

Is it better to try to improve and fail or to not try to improve at all?
MacLean has consistently tried to address problems with this team. Some of those attempts have certainly failed, but heís cognizent of the issues and tries to address them. There are plenty of other GMs out there, some cited here, who know their teamís deficiencies, yet repeatedly do not address them.
Which is worse?

Honestly, as someone else pointed out, I donít think heís had the time in the league to definitively prove whether he truly is good or bad.
Two years ago, weíd probably see a lot of Dave Poille on this list (wrongly, I might add). Heís been given time to build a foundation and look how the Preds look now.
Iím not saying the Jackets will be the Preds. Iím just saying that when youíre starting from scratch, I donít think 5 years is enough of a sample (lots of youth still developing, no initial success/history to draw players to the organization).

As an aside, why, for example, is Don Waddell getting a big fat pass? Why is he different from MacLean? Most of the reasons I can see MacLean being ripped for apply equally to Waddell, but I donít see a single mention of him here.

But, the one thing that drives me batty though is the good old Nash arugment:

MacLeanís job is to run HIS team, not make moves that benefit the entire NHL. As has been discussed, when the other young players in the organization are due their next deals, many of the costly vets will be gone (or wouldíve taken a pay cut), so I donít think its legit to say he handcuffed the CBJ in future dealings. I could be wrong, but I donít think I will be. Time will tell.
And, despite what some posters think here -- MacLean does not have a responsibility to maintain the financial structures of opposing teams.
Besides, if you donít think guys like Nash, Thornton, Hossa and Kovalchuck donít deserve to be among the highest paid in the sport -- youíre smoking crack.
I donít care how it used to be and I donít care about their age. Theyíre among the tops in the sport and deserve to be paid as such.

Iím not touting the guy as the best in the league, that is for sure, but I still fail to see how he is the worst.

Closed Thread