HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - NJD

Old
02-10-2012, 01:47 AM
JayRoadkill

vCash: 500
Tor - NJD

To NJD:

Connolly or Lombardi
Joey Crabb
2nd round pick

to Tor
Zubrus

Toronto gets a big body that they lack up front

New Jersey gets one of two under performing players hoping a change of scenery can help them. Connolly can likely help a below average NJD PP. NJ gets a 2nd round pick in a supposed deep draft, and Joey Crabb (a jack-of-all-trades type player with 8G 8A while seeing no powerplay time. Can play any situation. No glaring weaknesses, as well as no glaring strengths)

Value wise is it close?
Does it help both teams?

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:59 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy1993 View Post
To NJD:

Connolly or Lombardi
Joey Crabb
2nd round pick

to Tor
Zubrus

Toronto gets a big body that they lack up front

New Jersey gets one of two under performing players hoping a change of scenery can help them. Connolly can likely help a below average NJD PP. NJ gets a 2nd round pick in a supposed deep draft, and Joey Crabb (a jack-of-all-trades type player with 8G 8A while seeing no powerplay time. Can play any situation. No glaring weaknesses, as well as no glaring strengths)

Value wise is it close?
Does it help both teams?
Don't think we do this.

Zubrus is a very valuable player for us because he can play center or wing, making him great to have around incase guys get injured. Our PP is also getting much better this past month, we're around 25% our past 30 chances. I also don't think Connolly slots anywhere in the Devils top 6 (is he displacing Henrique? Elias? Heck, he won't displace a healthy Zajac either..) so we'd pretty much be getting two bottom 6 forwards.. which we don't need given our forward depth.

Any move the Devils do will be to acquire defensemen. We have a glut of forwards of all types.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
seanlinden

No interest in Zubrus whatsoever....nevermind at the ridiculous cost of Connolly, Crabb and a 2nd. He doesn't produce enough to justify his salary to the Leafs.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

No thanks.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:33 AM
tony d
The man

Can't see either team doing this. Toronto gives up a little to much for Zubrus and New Jersey has no interest in an oft injured player like Connolly and a depth guy in Joey Crabb.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Kulemon

Crabb and Connolly are terrible players and I wouldn't wish them upon our biggest rivals

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Crabb and Connolly are terrible players and I wouldn't wish them upon our biggest rivals
connolly maybe but crabb not so much,get your head out of your arse!

Last edited by IBLEAF: 02-10-2012 at 08:29 AM.
IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The Devils have no need for Connolly or Crabb, but they do have a big need for Zubrus. He is versatile, he is big, he is physical, he chips in offensively more than people realise, and he's a heart and soul guy. He won't be moved. Pass.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:56 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The Devils have no need for Connolly or Crabb, but they do have a big need for Zubrus. He is versatile, he is big, he is physical, he chips in offensively more than people realise, and he's a heart and soul guy. He won't be moved. Pass.
I agree. Why are Leaf fans trying to imply to other teams' fans that their crap players can get these types of players in trades?

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
Crabb is a 4th line grinder. Connolly is usually invisible and soft. Even if it was both of them, they are not going to get Zubrus.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Crabb is a 4th line grinder. Connolly is usually invisible and soft. Even if it was both of them, they are not going to get Zubrus.
T.O doenst need/want zubrus period...

Old
02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
pucky

Quote:
T.O doenst need/want zubrus period...
You wouldn't make that deal (the one the OP proposed)?

I would. Connolly won't last long, imho, and I think Crabb, although a useful 4th line calibre grinder is replaceable.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

The 2nd rounder is moderately appealing but I still don't think I'd do this.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's been in the league how long? Over 15 yrs?

Finally getting some respect. He's a decent player. He'd be perfect for what Burke wants... big, skilled player with some finesse. I'm surprised at any Leaf fans who wouldn't make that trade. Or maybe I shouldn't be. No offense but I don't know why you wouldn't.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
No interest in Zubrus whatsoever....nevermind at the ridiculous cost of Connolly, Crabb and a 2nd. He doesn't produce enough to justify his salary to the Leafs.
Salary and age is the only drawback. The pick I agree with you but you overvalue the Leafs in this equation, imho.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Connolly is a much, much much more effective player than Crabb is.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
JimEIV

3.4 for a guy that can play on the 1st line through the 3rd line, play C/LW/or RW.
Play responsible defensively, can control the boards and chip in offensively?

Seems worth it to me.

Is Connolly worth $4.7 Million? Is Lombardi worth 3.5 Million?

Off course for those that judge players soley by points Zubrus' 30 or so points for 3.4 may seem a bit high, but in this instance Zubrus is better defensively, is bigger stronger and more versitile and has produced more points than the bad contracts being offered.

Zubrus is an essential part of the Devils and I wouldn't want to see him moved at all.

Last edited by JimEIV: 02-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
3.4 for a guy that can play on the 1st line through the 3rd line, play C/LW/or RW.

Seems worth it to me.

Is Connolly, $4.7 Million? Is Lombardi worth 3.5 Million?

Off course for those that judge players soley by points Zubrus' 30 or so points for 3.4 may seem a bit high, but in this instance Zubrus is better defensively, is bigger stronger and more versitile and has produced more points than the bad contracts being offered.

Zubrus is an essential part of the Devils and I wouldn't want to see him moved at all.
Burke signed Connolly as a supposed stop-gap C for the 1st line and he hardly ever plays there now (maybe on a PP unit?). Even Leaf fans (well, some of them) think he's soft.

Zubrus would be an ideal 1st line C (if no other C can be acquired) or even winger on the 2nd line to play with Grabo. Would be a good pick up.

There are probably highly talented forwards that are a better fit for the Leafs (younger etc.) but I'm only going by the OP's suggested trade. It looks like a win for the Leafs if made. The only negatives are the cap hit and the 2nd round pick loss but really, Leaf fans are comparing Zubrus to Connolly and Crabb and saying it's not enough?!?

Old
02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

These two teams aren't good trading partners anyway, because they aren't going to help each other by trading any impact players where they're competing for playoff spots.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
JimEIV

The negatives for the Devils are they would be taking on an additional 2.6 Million dollars for a player(s) (Connolly+Crabb) that would be an overall downgrade to what they already have.

Connolly is providing no physical game, he definitaley isn't providing a defensive game and he jas had less points that Zubrus...Why do the Devils do this?

In a month the Devils get Zajac back and Zubrus will be a winger on the 2nd or 3rd line, Connolly (or Lombardi) wouldn't be able to play in front of Zajac, Elias or Henrique. So the Devils are arquiring a 4th line center?

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Briecheeze

I think a lot of Leafs fans are basing their opinions of Zubrus on this summer's talk, when every single Devil poster said "we can sign Parise easily, if needed we can just bury Zubrus's contract or buy him out."

Which, of course, made Zubrus sound like a useless, overpaid, player.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Connolly is a much, much much more effective player than Crabb is.

as he should be for the extra 4 million a year!!!

Old
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briecheeze View Post
I think a lot of Leafs fans are basing their opinions of Zubrus on this summer's talk, when every single Devil poster said "we can sign Parise easily, if needed we can just bury Zubrus's contract or buy him out."

Which, of course, made Zubrus sound like a useless, overpaid, player.
I think people were saying that during the Kovalchuk contract thing. Last summer we were comfortably under the cap after re-signing Parise, because Rolston had already been traded and Hunter bought out.

None of us wanted to get rid of Zubrus, it was just that he was the only one who made sense. Rolston's contract was damn near unmovable with his NTC and too much total salary left on it. Salvador had too many years left and not enough skill to be attractive in a trade. And we weren't going to get rid of other core pieces. So it had to be Zubrus who got buried. Eventually, it didn't come to that, because Salvador, Rolston, and Parise all got injured long-term, and LTIR gave us the cap space.

Old
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

Seems worth it to me.

Is Connolly worth $4.7 Million? Is Lombardi worth 3.5 Million?

But everytime I look at Zubrus' stats he sucks
Zubrus makes over 3 million a season. He earns his money.
He is one of those guys in the league who you can't judge by looking at his stats. You have to watch hjim play to see how valuable he is. Sad thing is, nobody watches NJ cuz they have that boring label. When they do watch them, it is normally when they play against their fav team. Then Jersey wins even and they still get the, "they won playing boring hockey", shtick.....It is sad how so many people can't read a hockey game and can only tell how valuable people are when there is a scoring chance. They don't see the guys that create scoring chances with hard work in the corners.
Connoly is still one of my favorite players, but he is not plying like a $4.5 million dollar player. Not worth Zubrus, and Joey Crabb I like as a 4th line guy. Jersey has enough forward depth. The only thing they need is a PMD, but like Toronto, Jersey has an abundance of NHL ready defensemen.

NJ Centre depth
Henrique
Elias
Zajac
Josefeson

Or Henrique
Zajac
Elias/Zubrus
Josefson.

We don't need Connoly

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote