HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Spex

vCash: 500
Yup, Jungle is oficially gone as per the updated article..

Quote:
Harris, who hosted an afternoon talk show on CFRA, got his termination notice along with CFRA reporter Gord McDougall; Jim Jerome, Phil Melanson and Mike Sutherland at TEAM 1200, Steve Boynton from Majic 100 and Tina Sapp from BOB-FM. Other staff let go were CFRA manager Al McCartney and Brent Corbeil, a manager at CTV Ottawa.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...948/story.html

Old
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by impronto View Post
i noticed they took off melanson off the host page on the team's website. I also noticed that jim jerome was also not on the host page, compared to the cached page where he was. wonder if hes gone too
Yes, his name has been added to the list if you read the article linked in the Ottawa Citizen.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Wonder if this has anything to do with the rumoured re-branding of the Team to TSN radio?

And Jon Abbott is still on the "hosts" page. He has been gone for 6 months now.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

I am completely pissed about Harris getting let go. Conservative governments need conservative radio to make sure they get their message of going to war easier.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
Yup, Jungle is oficially gone as per the updated article..

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...948/story.html
Damn man!!!! I think I'm one of the few that liked that guy.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Ours Whole

I won't miss listening to either Jungle or Melanson, but it sucks to see so many people get canned.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Like I said before TGOR still works as Two Guys On the Radio

With Melon's Son gone I wonder who will slot in with Leave Her Sage or if they'll keep Sports Crawl going.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Like I said before TGOR still works as Two Guys On the Radio

With Melon's Son gone I wonder who will slot in with Leave Her Sage or if they'll keep Sports Crawl going.
The show will actually probably be better with just the two of them and a random guest host every now and then. Steve and John actually will talk about sports and focus on the Sens, where as Jim would just chim in with "oh that's boring let's talk about whatever else!".

Old
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
The show will actually probably be better with just the two of them and a random guest host every now and then. Steve and John actually will talk about sports and focus on the Sens, where as Jim would just chim in with "oh that's boring let's talk about whatever else!".
The Jim-O-Matic ramblings when he was away might have made them realize he was superfluous to the show.

Recently he half jokingly let it slip that he was told to tone down the raunchy stuff. Makes you wonder if the two are connected?

Old
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Its great to think I will never have to hear Jungle again, but I feel sorry for Malenson and dont understand why they laid Sutherland off as he wasnt on that much anyway.

Maybe he and Evraie and others will be back if and when Ottawa gets their football team back.

Also sorry to hear about Harris, how could they take him off and keep on Lowell Green and his tiresome maunderings.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
BK201

Jungle actually knows a lot about tennis and golf.

The biggest problem is that he is never and wastes time.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Ed Wood

Firing Michael Harris while retaining Lowell Green is an insult to everyone who yearns for political discussion on a level somewhat more elevated than that which is provided by that moronic octagenarian bigot. Stephen Harper and his cronies must be doing cartwheels about now.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed

vCash: 1170
Melanson was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too arrogant for someone at a lowly sports station. Constantly name-dropping his agent and his girlfriend made him unbearable. Lee Versage isn't great...but whatever I guess.

Won't miss Jerome much but at least he added a little spice to the usually bland Senators pom-pom waving from the other two.

Michael Harris is a huge loss but you knew it was coming when he openly challenged Harper on war with/toward Iran a few weeks ago. CFRA is for conservative die-hards and spoonfeeds them through the bigot Green, the pretend-Armed Forces employee Nick Vandergragt and basically I haven't listend to it in ages...Harris was the only thing worth listening too.

A rebranding of Team 1200 can't come soon enough.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
I found it strange noone mentioned it really on the team today from what I heard. It'll be interesting to see what is said in the opening moments of both TGOR and Sports Call tomorrow.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:55 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Nice to see that Jungle Jim is gone. I've never heard him contribute to any discussion and his humour is equivalent to a handicapped Jay Leno. Deservedly out of a job.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Nice to see that Jungle Jim is gone. I've never heard him contribute to any discussion and his humour is equivalent to a handicapped Jay Leno. Deservedly out of a job.
It wasn't that good

Old
02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Melanson was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too arrogant for someone at a lowly sports station. Constantly name-dropping his agent and his girlfriend made him unbearable. Lee Versage isn't great...but whatever I guess.

Won't miss Jerome much but at least he added a little spice to the usually bland Senators pom-pom waving from the other two.

Michael Harris is a huge loss but you knew it was coming when he openly challenged Harper on war with/toward Iran a few weeks ago. CFRA is for conservative die-hards and spoonfeeds them through the bigot Green, the pretend-Armed Forces employee Nick Vandergragt and basically I haven't listend to it in ages...Harris was the only thing worth listening too.

A rebranding of Team 1200 can't come soon enough.
I think its reaching a bit to say they let Harris go be case challenged Harper as for Green there are things he says i don't agree with i would even say most but i would not say he is a bigot and Nick he was in the army when he was young.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

So... someone help me out here. Does Jim Jerome getting canned mean they won't talk about how good women look... on the RADIO... anymore? TGOR was near un-listenable for that reason alone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are talking about good looking women, but it's the absolute worst format for that sort of discussion. I don't know what could be more boring than a 20 minute conversation about some tart from the food network. Just unbearably boring.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Bob Kudelski

Mike Sutherland was pretty good.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:07 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

I started the original sports radio thread and am so passionate about it, that I was thinking about starting a blog on it.

It really isn't easy when someone is let go from their job. It wasn't easy with Kulka (especially with the details around how he was let go), and it isn't easy now with Jimmy, regardless what your take is on both of them. (For the record, I thought both needed a change, but in Kulka's case, he was let go at the wrong time in his life...)

On a day like today, I know a lot of Team1200 management and personalities are reading this post especially. I hope they will take these comments and act on them.

I listen to sports radio roughly 6-8 hours a day, including the fan590 and team1200. I rarely call in to the radio station, will email a few times a year. But I speak to a lot of people about Ottawa Sports Radio. Bob McCown isn't king by accident. It's because of the quality of guests, and the analytic way he approaches interviews. He doesn't treat listeners like they are unitelligent. The quality of guests is second to none.

It's not a coincidnece that the two most popular segments on Ottawa radio is when Pierre McGuire and Bob McKenzie come on.

During the ASG weekend, I spoke to two familiar faces from HNIC. (Not to name drop, but Elliotte Friedman and Kevin Weeks) I told them that I really enjoyed them coming on air on Ottawa radio, and that I'd really love them to get on Ottawa radio more often. Their response? "We are never asked...we come on to whichever radio station we are asked, but are just never asked by Ottawa radio".

It's time for the next level of sports radio in this town. Let's hope management has the courage to use these changes to do things differently.
- bring on better guests - and not necessarily athletes
- better guests will make the hosts get prepared for them
- have a roundtable with analysts from each city chiming in on the weeks events
- bring in more aspects from the business of sports (i've seen a bit of this recently on the team, but a weekly show burried in the evening isn't enough!)

Indeed, it's time for the next level of sport radio in this town...is the Team 1200 ready?

Old
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Larionov

Jim Jerome was absolutely awful. If you want to be a host on sports talk radio, it's generally helpful to be knowledgable about sports. He wasn't, and he didn't even try to be. Perhaps he appealed to an, "aging slacker" demographic out there, but I found his schtick to be one of the reasons I wasn't listening as often any more. I'm sorry to see a guy lose his job, but he just wasn't making a contribution any longer.

He was far from the only problem, though - the TEAM's entire format is disjointed and tired. This station is in desperate need of a re-brand and a shot in the arm. You would have to think it is coming soon...

Old
02-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
I started the original sports radio thread and am so passionate about it, that I was thinking about starting a blog on it.
I like where your post is heading and here are some of my thoughts and comments (I'm just a regular listener, about 8 to 10 hours per day, so take that for what it's worth)

Quote:
It really isn't easy when someone is let go from their job. It wasn't easy with Kulka (especially with the details around how he was let go), and it isn't easy now with Jimmy, regardless what your take is on both of them. (For the record, I thought both needed a change, but in Kulka's case, he was let go at the wrong time in his life...)
Totally agree. I never liked the idea of Kulka having his own general sports show. Sure, he could have been good with a weekly football show, but his lack of knowledge and speaking abilities made it real hard to respect him when he faked his way through non-football talk and interviews. But they let it go on too long, only to fire him the week his dad passed away. Totally gutless.

Quote:
I listen to sports radio roughly 6-8 hours a day, including the fan590 and team1200. I rarely call in to the radio station, will email a few times a year. But I speak to a lot of people about Ottawa Sports Radio. Bob McCown isn't king by accident. It's because of the quality of guests, and the analytic way he approaches interviews. He doesn't treat listeners like they are unitelligent. The quality of guests is second to none.
Exactly, especially the bolded part. I love Jim Rome, but I know he and his show are unique. He can get away with "flaming" his callers because that the flavour of the show towards the callers. But these local TEAM 1200 guys try too hard to mimic that and it's just not worth it. TEAm 1200 has to find it's own identity, but not be small-townish and amateur at the same time. I know it's not a easy feat, because they've been small-townish since day 1.

Quote:
During the ASG weekend, I spoke to two familiar faces from HNIC. (Not to name drop, but Elliotte Friedman and Kevin Weeks) I told them that I really enjoyed them coming on air on Ottawa radio, and that I'd really love them to get on Ottawa radio more often. Their response? "We are never asked...we come on to whichever radio station we are asked, but are just never asked by Ottawa radio".
Pretty sad, again especially the bolded part. The TEAM 1200 is so small minded that it would rather have a "gimmie" interview with someone that is connected to the station (Tony Greco, Kevin Haim, the Tommy & Lefevbre or Ottawa Athletic Club people) than to interview someone that is a know sports figure on a National or International level. I know some figures are jerks and probably demand somesort of payment, but I think the overwhelming majority of sports figures would love to come on the station, any station, to promote themselves, their team or their cause.

But no, the folks at the team 1200 think we would enjoy commercials from the good 'ol boys club of Ottawa disguised as interviews.

Quote:
Indeed, it's time for the next level of sport radio in this town...is the Team 1200 ready?
Nope...but maybe TSN Radio 1200 is.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:20 AM
operasen

Jerome - should have gone 10 years ago (actually never should have been there)

Harris - will miss him. Once you figured out where he stood and could compensate, he was gold

Melanson - good call

Can't believe Versage survived

Old
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
wjhl2009fan

I think the Team 1200 might do better if they were owned by a local person or group i just think bell just has to much be it radio station and tv channels.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Jerome had a drunken tirade on Twitter.

11h Jim Jerome @JungleJimJerome Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Well, I got a lot of time on my hands now. Now I can finally work on adding Maybe into the Yes/No game!
Jim Jerome @JungleJimJerome Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
I'm going to go off and start my own podcast now. I'll call in 2 Knives in My Back.
Joke's on them, I'm taking Jimbotron with me!
.@stuntmanstu Hey Buddy! At least you still have a job! Hey, you've got 2! Can I borrow one?
They couldn't afford to pay me anymore. Way better to waste money on that tool McGuire. I bet he doesn't have the Great One on speed dial!
Shawn Lachance @shawntaulicus Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
They fire @JungleJimJerome but keep tools like Versage on payroll...awesome
Retweeted by Jim Jerome
Haha, You don't want to know my nickname for Versage. Let's just say it isn't radio friendly!

https://twitter.com/#!/JungleJimJerome

Closed Thread