HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mark Messier Jersey Retirement

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
A lot of bitterness in here...

Congrats Mess, you were the ultimate player, captain and leader.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:21 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Y'know, I just realized what Messier with his arms outstetched reminded me of. That guy in the movie "Powder"

Anyone else think the "Hallelujah" chorus was a little much?

Old
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Takeo

Sorry, but that was way overdone. Messier was a terrific player and deserves to be honored, but that was just obnoxious.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Sorry, but that was way overdone. Messier was a terrific player and deserves to be honored, but that was just obnoxious.
Thank you. I believe that was the sentiment I was going for

Old
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Scotty Hockey

I am really not sure you guys grasp what Messier meant/means to NY. Yes the ceremony ran too long - no doubt there. But to question how deserving he was of 1 - having his number retired in NY and 2 - having a indulgent ceremony like that is just ... pardon me for saying it but ignorance.

Sports have also always been a healing distraction and while an athlete may give occasionally to charity or do some community service, Messier led the way to Ground Zero. The vast amount of emotions in MSG when he put on one of the fallen firefighters helmets brings tears to this day. Messier was a symbol of strength and hard work in a city that treasures those qualities.

Yes, he won one Stanley Cup in NY ... but that was all he needed to. He took one of the laughingstocks of the league (lets face it, losing to multiple times to John Druce in the playoffs is humiliating) and brought back the respect it once had. Not to mention that that Cup was probably the pinnacle of hockey in America in terms of popularity.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Southern Oil

[QUOTE=sstranged]I am really not sure you guys grasp what Messier meant/means to NY. Yes the ceremony ran too long - no doubt there. But to question how deserving he was of 1 - having his number retired in NY and 2 - having a indulgent ceremony like that is just ... pardon me for saying it but ignorance.

I completely agree with that. The only small complaint that I can come up with is the length. Other than that, really well done. I like the fact that the whole '94 team was there. I guess that's one thing that my Oil cannot do. I never realized until recently how many people do not like the Moose. Best leader in sports in my opinion. Congratulations Mark and thanks for the memories

Old
01-13-2006, 10:44 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32
His stats in New York:

All-time team rank
698 games 11th
250 goals 7th
441 assists 6th
691 points 5th

Point per game, great captain, 54 year wait, etc.
Very deserving.
you're right. I didn't know he'd played that many games in NY.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Well you know what, don't watch the thing then because it was extremely well done and classy and this was an occassion for NEW YORK RANGER fans to show their appreciation for their Captain and having been there last night I can assure you that the Gardne faithful as Mark called them were loving every minute of it so for people like you and some others to whine and complain is just a complete joke.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Nich

last night gave me flash backs to 94....seriously....mess was the man to me when i was growing up. last night reminded me of those times, and not the last few season he was on the 3rd line.

Mess means so much to the fans in nyc, and honestly it was all deserved...just a bit long.

Old
01-13-2006, 10:59 AM
goalie311

I'm all for respecting a player that put your team back on the map, but I can't stand these ceremonies that elevate these athletes into God status.
Ok, so he played for the Rangers and won them a Cup - now, no one gets to wear #11 on the Rangers anymore - is this a reason to cry? For anyone to cry?

Old
01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknuck311
I'm all for respecting a player that put your team back on the map, but I can't stand these ceremonies that elevate these athletes into God status.
Ok, so he played for the Rangers and won them a Cup - now, no one gets to wear #11 on the Rangers anymore - is this a reason to cry? For anyone to cry?
the man didn't just win a cup in new york...he embraced the city like few athletes have ever done or ever will. he was one of the athletes and sports figures that tried to bring some sense of safeness to the city after 9/11/01 in his own special way. it wasn't just about the franchise with him. it was about new york. that's a reason to cry right there.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Steve L*

I was cringing and had to switch over. I prefer it when players retire with dignity but I suppose its just different cultures.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Are we that cynical or just void of emotion and common sense?

A man has his career celebrated by 20,000 fans, teammates, co-workers and family, and we do not understand why he would cry?

It's called "love, emotion and passion." Normal human emotions.

Perhaps it was prolonged and a bit melodramatic; so big deal. That misses entirely the point of the night. For this a hockey fan, it brought me (and my wife) back to a great time, not so long ago both in New York City and the NHL.

Just me, but I think great players, great times and special people should be honored. It's called: celebrating life.

We could all benefit from doing that more often.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-13-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I was cringing and had to switch over. I prefer it when players retire with dignity but I suppose its just different cultures.
Aren't you a Flyers fan? When was the last time they had a player retire who meant as much to the Rangers as Mess did? Clarke? Ranger fans appreciated it, and that's all that matters.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4check22
Aren't you a Flyers fan? When was the last time they had a player retire who meant as much to the Rangers as Mess did? Clarke? Ranger fans appreciated it, and that's all that matters.
Over here, player just retire and that its. No retired numbers, no self indulgent ceremonies etc.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:55 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Are we that cynical or just void of emotion and common sense?

A man has his career celebrated by 20,000 fans, teammates, co-workers and family, and we do not understand why he would cry?

It's called "love, emotion and passion." Normal human emotions.

Perhaps it was prolonged and a bit melodramatic; so big deal. That misses entirely the point of the night. For this a hockey fan, it brought me (and my wife) back to a great time, not so long ago both in New York City and the NHL.

Just me, but I think great players, great times and special people should be honored. It's called: celebrating life.

We could all benefit from doing that more often.

Just my opinion.
That's fine, you're very entitled to your opinion.
I just don't find putting him on a pedestal (or an athlete for that matter) worthy.

Let me put it this way: when a guy like Trevor Linden retires (whom I felt has done a lot for the Canucks in his career), I won't mind seeing his #16 go in the rafters in a little celebration. A LITTLE ceremony.
I'll feel very proud for him, but guaranteed no tears will be shed.
Now I know what some of you are going to say: ***? Linden is no Messier!!! He didn't accomplish what Messier did.
But Linden was integral to turning the Canucks franchise around and getting them where they are today. I would say he means just as much to the Canucks as Messier did to NYR.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:40 PM
xander

Was it alittle long? Yes. But it doesn't matter, it still got me alittle teary.

If your not a Ranger fan (or atleast around New York enough to understand the mentality) then you won't understand. Yes he had more points in Edmonton, yes he won more cups there, but there's a special attachment between Messier and Ranger fans that is unique. Part of it's the curse, part of it's they way he embraced the city and part of it is that everything is alittle bigger in New York. His Jersey should go up in Edmonton too, but no one should be disregarding the importance that Mark has to Ranger fans and the organization.

Edit: It should also be noted that this is an organization that has been pretty stingy with numbers. Up until this point only 3 other numbers had been retired (Giacomin, Gilbert and Richter) from the team's 80 years of history.

Last edited by xander: 01-13-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Steve L*

One more thing, I was amazed to see Kovalev in a Rags jersey while he was employed by the Habs, how come he isnt crucified for insulting Habs fans like that?

Old
01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
One more thing, I was amazed to see Kovalev in a Rags jersey while he was employed by the Habs, how come he isnt crucified for insulting Habs fans like that?
Because they don't see it as an insult. They have a lot of retired numbers and see it as an honour deserving of tribute. When they moved from the Forum to the Bell Centre they had all of their former captains come out in Habs jerseys, including those that were still in the league but on different teams ...

Old
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
octopi

Quote:
Thought the ceremony was way overdone myself(If you could n't tell from my previous posts) but its every human beings right to cry should they feel like it. Some people just get more easily overwhelmed than others.

Anyways, its his party and he'll cry if he wants to

Old
01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
Because they don't see it as an insult. They have a lot of retired numbers and see it as an honour deserving of tribute. When they moved from the Forum to the Bell Centre they had all of their former captains come out in Habs jerseys, including those that were still in the league but on different teams ...
Again, different cultures but if that happened here, a players life would be made a living hell if he ever put on an oppositions jersey.

I think back to when a lot of Flyers and ex Flyers were practicing in the summer, they all had Flyers gear on except Fedoruk who made sure he was wearing a Ducks jersey. I think wearing any other jersey apart from your own shows a complete lack or respect for your team and its fans.

How would Canadians feel if Sakic was photographed wearing a USA jersey and vice versa.

Closed Thread