HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/9/12 - Nashville at Ottawa: Fisher's Night

Old
02-10-2012, 08:14 AM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
time to switch the lines ...

sk fisher erat
smith wilson bourque
hornqvist legwand spaling
halischuk yip tootoo

split suter and weber up as well..
weber - ellis
klein - suter
josi - whoever sucks the least
Nice lines however my D line would be different.
Weber-Ellis
Josi-Suter
Pick up someone or give Blum one more shot- Klein/Bulls

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:17 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Bourque shouldnt be scratched at all, he has tons of energy and he creates chances. And i agree NoNeck, Smithson looked lost that last shift. He is so ****ing slow
Yip and Bourque are clearly better than Smithson. Not sure what Trots is thinking other than being loyal to a vet. Sure he wins faceoffs. Ok let him win a faceoff and then change him out ASAP..lol

Old
02-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Top 6 Spaling

My lines:

Wilson-Smith-SK
Tootoo-Fisher-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Borque
Halischuk-Spailing-Yip

Weber-Josi
Suter-Ellis
Klein-MAKE A TRADE DP

All four lines are balanced. There is not a single one that won't score fairly often. It's a nightmare to match.

With defense, Josi plays like Suter and Ellis plays like Weber (stylistically). Match them up, and that leaves Klein and Franky until until Poile makes a trade.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Horrible effort tonight. Borque, Smith and Erat were the only ones who looked like they wanted to be out there tonight. Preds are reading their press clippings I'm afraid.
It's the LEADERSHIP. Someone pooh-poohed me when I said that Weber and Suter have let the team down big-time the way they've handled their "business" but it's clear that we don't just need them to play well we need them to be THE example. Set the tone. Effort every night. You make a mistake you pull your head out and play through it.

You see that with Fisher at least lately - bad turnover against VAN the other night as an example where he chased the guy into the corner, pushed and shoved the puck loose so our Dman could pick it up and clear it.

Bad games happen; good teams hang in and salvage something lotta' the time. We didn't tonight - watch the effort against Boston. See if Weber and Suter set the tone for effort and team accountability. That's why we're able to play so well with the youngest team in the NHL. This is not the past teams where our best guys were never our best guys when it counted and Weber and Suter are why; the kids follow the leaders example and Weber and Suter don't usually disappear on the big stage. They've not played consistently, but more importantly, they haven't set the example consistently for the last several games - they wanted to shelve their business and just play hockey and that's exactly what we need - the rest will follow.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:42 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
It's the LEADERSHIP. Someone pooh-poohed me when I said that Weber and Suter have let the team down big-time the way they've handled their "business" but it's clear that we don't just need them to play well we need them to be THE example. Set the tone. Effort every night. You make a mistake you pull your head out and play through it.

You see that with Fisher at least lately - bad turnover against VAN the other night as an example where he chased the guy into the corner, pushed and shoved the puck loose so our Dman could pick it up and clear it.

Bad games happen; good teams hang in and salvage something lotta' the time. We didn't tonight - watch the effort against Boston. See if Weber and Suter set the tone for effort and team accountability. That's why we're able to play so well with the youngest team in the NHL. This is not the past teams where our best guys were never our best guys when it counted and Weber and Suter are why; the kids follow the leaders example and Weber and Suter don't usually disappear on the big stage. They've not played consistently, but more importantly, they haven't set the example consistently for the last several games - they wanted to shelve their business and just play hockey and that's exactly what we need - the rest will follow.
I said after the all star game debacle that this team could suffer. They have played one good game since the break. I would say it has been a big factor so far. The D has suffered the most since the all star break. I am hoping things do not come off the tracks and this team is just going through a rough spot like at the start of the year.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Nevermind

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
smithson in the lineup equals only 3 scoring lines for us.. much easier match up wise and kills us on the road. smith and halischuk are wasted even strength unless smith does it by himself.. smithson is part of the problem .. obviously we sucked tonight not just him.. but I guarantee you he isn't part of the solution
While I don't disagree on the assessment of Smithson's impact on Offense.... I would remind everyone that 2 years ago and early last year Leggy was carrying Smithson and Ward as our 2nd line ...... Trotz has moved Smithson down to 4th where he belongs. Sure, we don't get 4 scoring lines with him on the ice, but it's a vast improvement to the lines we were icing in prior years. Personally, I think we can live without him but as I mentioned in another thread - Trotz has coached a lot more hockey than me and I'll defer to him at this point, even if I disagree.

Oh, and in reference to those Leggy discussions, it was few and far between cutting Leggy any slack for not producing while carrying stone-hands Smithson around with him. If you believe Smith's talents are wasted this way .... well, Leggy's just might have been, too.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
My lines:

Wilson-Smith-SK
Tootoo-Fisher-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Borque
Halischuk-Spailing-Yip

Weber-Josi
Suter-Ellis
Klein-MAKE A TRADE DP

All four lines are balanced. There is not a single one that won't score fairly often. It's a nightmare to match.

With defense, Josi plays like Suter and Ellis plays like Weber (stylistically). Match them up, and that leaves Klein and Franky until until Poile makes a trade.
It's creates matchup nightmares-- for us.

You can't give Ellis the kind of icetime that he would receive playing with Suter. You can't have him on the ice with the players that you want Suter out against.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It's creates matchup nightmares-- for us.

You can't give Ellis the kind of icetime that he would receive playing with Suter. You can't have him on the ice with the players that you want Suter out against.
I see what you are saying with his size but he does not play like his size in my opinion nor have i seen him get out sized and give up goals infront of the net.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:14 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It isn't about his size. It is about his youth, inexperience, and need to be protected.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

5 things on the game:

1) Our offense is so much better than any other year not including the 06-07 season. Even then, our offense's balance is better, and our powerplay is outstanding. This team would have won several of the playoff series in the past based on the powerplay improvement alone. It changes how teams play us at even strength and when a penalty is taken, we make them pay.

2) We were really sloppy in this game. Really, really sloppy. It wasn't that the effort wasn't there - it was. It was countless little mental mistakes or mishaps that just botched the flow and offense during the game.

3) Bouillon looked pretty bad. It wasn't glaring errors as much as, he just doesn't look very capable right now of providing what we need on the backline. For as much as Blum sucked at the beginning of the season, I would rather skate him on that third pairing then Cube right now. If we don't make an acquisition of a 2nd pairing d-man at the deadline, I would not be surprised to see us call him up when roster's expand.

4) I really like Ryan Ellis. I just think the kid has "it." I hope we hang on to him. I can see him being an amazing complimentary player and team leader for years to come. I don't think he will ever be the superstar shut-down defensemen, but he intrigues me as a player. True, we are protecting him right now, but his puck-handling abilities are scary good.

5) Ottawa is a skilled team. Their speed is nightmarish. They were handed a couple of gift goals from us last night, but it mostly due to hard work, effort, and determination. I like their team - a lot (except the goaltending - putrid!)

Last edited by Enoch: 02-10-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: oops!
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
zellthemedic

That's five things. You put 3 twice.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Here's the 6th thing: NSH was done in by all of the penalties the team took and the PK's inability to adequately stop OTT's PP. This also resulted in Trotz having to overuse Weber and Suter (~30mins each in a non-OT game!).

02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
5 things on the game:

1) Our offense is so much better than any other year not including the 06-07 season. Even then, our offense's balance is better, and our powerplay is outstanding. This team would have won several of the playoff series in the past based on the powerplay improvement alone. It changes how teams play us at even strength and when a penalty is taken, we make them pay.

2) We were really sloppy in this game. Really, really sloppy. It wasn't that the effort wasn't there - it was. It was countless little mental mistakes or mishaps that just botched the flow and offense during the game.

3) Bouillon looked pretty bad. It wasn't glaring errors as much as, he just doesn't look very capable right now of providing what we need on the backline. For as much as Blum sucked at the beginning of the season, I would rather skate him on that third pairing then Cube right now. If we don't make an acquisition of a 2nd pairing d-man at the deadline, I would not be surprised to see us call him up when roster's expand.

4) I really like Ryan Ellis. I just think the kid has "it." I hope we hang on to him. I can see him being an amazing complimentary player and team leader for years to come. I don't think he will ever be the superstar shut-down defensemen, but he intrigues me as a player. True, we are protecting him right now, but his puck-handling abilities are scary good.

5) Ottawa is a skilled team. Their speed is nightmarish. They were handed a couple of gift goals from us last night, but it mostly due to hard work, effort, and determination. I like their team - a lot (except the goaltending - putrid!)
On #3. Most games Klein looks as bad as bulls did last night. Somethings got to give.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
wadesworld

I felt like our game plan played right into their hands. By coming out with a sense of urgency to score and show how much better of a team we were, our guys made dumb mistakes and played sloppily.

Personally, I think our game plan should have been to play keep away. Disciplined defense and smart offense. The Senators were already doubting in themselves. Had we frustrated them with tight defense and constantly chipping pucks deep, I doubt they generate the momentum they did or have the number of PP they did.

We'd have gotten a goal or two. Add a few PP's coming from a frustrated Sens team and we might have had the makings of a 3-1 win.

Just my opinion in retrospect.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I felt like our game plan played right into their hands. By coming out with a sense of urgency to score and show how much better of a team we were, our guys made dumb mistakes and played sloppily.

Personally, I think our game plan should have been to play keep away. Disciplined defense and smart offense. The Senators were already doubting in themselves. Had we frustrated them with tight defense and constantly chipping pucks deep, I doubt they generate the momentum they did or have the number of PP they did.

We'd have gotten a goal or two. Add a few PP's coming from a frustrated Sens team and we might have had the makings of a 3-1 win.

Just my opinion in retrospect.

I agree but I highly doubt that was the game plan. I doubt you will ever hear Trotz tell his team to go out there run and gun and outscore the other team. I think that is just how the players decided to play it.

I do think that the players maybe are buying into their own hype a bit especially offensively. Over the last bit of games I think we have been playing way too loose. I think the guys are excited they finally have a team capable of putting up a good amount of goals every game. The problem is while the offense has improved it isn't THAT good to where we should play a wide open game.

There is a fine line this team needs to find with regards to opening it up and tightening it down defensively. A lot of it has to do with timing. I think once they find their sweet spot and get in a groove the team will really get on a role and the goal differential will start to become more impressive.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote