HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-pick at #5?

View Poll Results: Hindsight, who do you pick at #5?
Carey Price (5) 54 36.00%
Gilbert Brule (6) 12 8.00%
Luc Bourdon (10) 49 32.67%
Marc Staal (11) 33 22.00%
Tuukka Rask (21) 2 1.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Charge_Seven

vCash: 500
Staal, Brule, Bourdon are all prime examples of who I believe should have been taken by Montreal.

I've always said Rask was better than Price as well, meaning pre-draft, not just after the Leafs got him. (I know you guys don't tend to agree, that's fine, I'm not trying to start that argument again, just saying I'd take him before Price)

Old
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Considering how our own franchise goalie is playing, I sure don't mind the Price pick, I think it's perfect timing if anything. I liked Bourdon a lot at the time of the draft but I wouldn't have taken him with a 5th pick.

Price is a big agile goalie that doesn't have a lot of holes in his game, but it takes time for those guys to develop. Once they do though, they have the potential to become a much more vital part of a team than any other forward or Dman.

Right now people are looking at the other Dmen's and forwards' progression and think we got hosed. But the developement curve is not the same. I like everything about Price, his size, his reflexes, his speed, his puck control and his cool head.

Patience is key. Let's talk again in 3 years.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
It's the positive bandwagon. There's one on these boards. Everything is always good, all our players are good, Gainey/Julien never makes mistakes.

EDIT : But thank you for the definition, Petit Robert
It's not a bandwagon if you don't jump on and off of it, but forgive me for daring to impart a little knowledge here.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Considering how our own franchise goalie is playing, I sure don't mind the Price pick, I think it's perfect timing if anything. I liked Bourdon a lot at the time of the draft but I wouldn't have taken him with a 5th pick.

Price is a big agile goalie that doesn't have a lot of holes in his game, but it takes time for those guys to develop. Once they do though, they have the potential to become a much more vital part of a team than any other forward or Dman.

Right now people are looking at the other Dmen's and forwards' progression and think we got hosed. But the developement curve is not the same. I like everything about Price, his size, his reflexes, his speed, his puck control and his cool head.

Patience is key. Let's talk again in 3 years.
Good post. But does anyone really think we got hosed ?

It's also true that almost no one here would have picked Bourdon at #5. He never got any consideration from me at #5. It was all Brule, Kopitar, Latendresse and the other 4 that went before Price. But then again, almost no one on these boards considered Price for #5 either.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I can't count the number of posts we've seen since the WJC about how we should have taken Bourdon or Staal over Price or that Price is not good enough since he got cut from the Canadian team. All I'm saying is their respective progressions are not going to be the same, so it's pointless to look at guys like Staal or Bourdon now and say they look more advanced than Price, therefore they will be better. A team drafts a player projecting what he'll be for them in 5 years, the path to get there is irrelevant.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
wedge

I go with Brule, but I really wanted Kopitar

what's going on with Kopitar, BTW?

Old
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

It's also true that almost no one here would have picked Bourdon at #5. He never got any consideration from me at #5. It was all Brule, Kopitar, Latendresse and the other 4 that went before Price. But then again, almost no one on these boards considered Price for #5 either.
Exactly. I voted Bourdon, but that's 100% hindsight. Staal was probably the only guy on draft day out of Bourdon/Price/Staal who was even considered a darkhorse for #5, but that was media-driven IIRC. Brule and Kopitar were the landslide contenders, once Pouliot was out of the way, as far as most Habs fans were concerned.

Anyway, for as much as I hype Bourdon and Staal now in hindsight, and as much as I hyped Ryan or Brule before the draft, I'm fully aware that Price might end up being the best choice afterall. Or even somebody completely different. Bottom line, it was impossible for us to get hosed... just having the #5 pick at all was a lucky lottery windfall, we could just as easily have had the #30 pick. I'll take #5, thanks, regardless of which player we chose. Price isn't my choice, but then, the odds are stacked against anybody who makes a choice getting the player who actually turns out to be the best one available.

Didn't stop me from picking Price #4 in my FHL, though. Go Habs!

Old
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:

It's also true that almost no one here would have picked Bourdon at #5. He never got any consideration from me at #5. It was all Brule, Kopitar, Latendresse and the other 4 that went before Price.But then again, almost no one on these boards considered Price for #5 either.
That's because 95% of us are basing their opinions on what they read or hear about those prospects. Most people were disgusted at first the Price selection for what reason? Because McKeen's, RLR, etc. didn't have him in their top 10. We should know better by now though: those scouting services do make mistakes and how they rank prospects is not an indication of how they'll develop. The Price pick came as a shock to most Habs fans not because they didn't like the guy, but because they got used to seeing Crosby, Johnson, Ryan, Brule and Pouliot as the likely top 5 picks... drafting is a crapshoot though. Scouting services don't pretend to know the whole truth, but some fans put all their trust in those rankings. That's why no one had even considered Price for our 1st pick.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Medicine Twin

This is a useless thread.

I don't see the point in re-examining a draft. Especially went it was only 7 months ago. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:27 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

Y'all gonna be quite sad in a few years that we don't have Staal on our team, to shut down Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kessel.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan
Y'all gonna be quite sad in a few years that we don't have Staal on our team, to shut down Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kessel.
Ya, instead it's going to be Price who shuts them down.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Ya, instead it's going to be Price who shuts them down.
Good one, but he kinda give that one to do fairly easily.....

Old
01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Good one, but he kinda give that one to do fairly easily.....
I know, but I feel no shame in taking freebies.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I recall on draft day I wanted the Habs to trade down to the 10th spot and get Bourdon + another asset for the #5. I never thought Stall and Kopitar would also be available at that spot making a deal to trade down all the more appealing in hindsight.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:39 PM
tinyzombies

Marc Staal, without a doubt. The Rangers stole one there. He's exactly what we need, a defenseman with size and who is safe with the puck.

Although, Price could turn out yet, I don't like the idea of taking a goalie so high unless he is a stud and Price doesn't seem to be a stud....who knows tho...?

Old
01-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Talent Analyst

Carey Price for sure!!

Old
01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
oli500

The way theodore has been playing lateley makes the prices pick look real good. I mean chapionships starts with goaltending and we have a potential star in price. Price should be ready within 3 years, I think huet and dannis can do the job for now. Theodore has been a big waste of money. Ive said it before and all say it again, If youre paid the best on the team you better be the best on youre team. Theodore has been no were near the habs best player, in fact hes had 3 good games all year. Huet dosent even make one mill and hes been far better. The only way all forgive theodore is if he wins the cup this year. Its the only he would earn that money. Were not scoring right now, If we can get a tanguy or bertuzi all be all over the deal. To win a cup you need 4 lines that are well balance and so far we only have one.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
oli500

The way theodore has been playing lateley makes the prices pick look real good. I mean chapionships starts with goaltending and we have a potential star in price. Price should be ready within 3 years, I think huet and dannis can do the job for now. Theodore has been a big waste of money. Ive said it before and all say it again, If youre paid the best on the team you better be the best on youre team. Theodore has been no were near the habs best player, in fact hes had 3 good games all year. Huet dosent even make one mill and hes been far better. The only way all forgive theodore is if he wins the cup this year. Its the only he would earn that money. Were not scoring right now, If we can get a tanguy or bertuzi all be all over the deal. To win a cup you need 4 lines that are well balance and so far we only have one.

Closed Thread