HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Before the reincarnation of the Sens, were Ottawa residents Leaf fans?

Old
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
whatname

vCash: 500
Before the reincarnation of the Sens, were Ottawa residents Leaf fans?

Or were they Mtl/QC fans?

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
MXD

Gatineau is still Habs zone. (well... majority), so I guess it was Habs zone.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Gatineau is still Habs zone. (well... majority), so I guess it was Habs zone.
One possible theory (admittedly pulled out of thin air - I'm nice) :

Most francophones were Habs (or Nordiques) fans.

Most anglophones were Leafs fans.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
reckoning

Montreal was easily the most popular team in the area. They were also easily the most hated team amongst fans of other teams. Nobody here was on the fence about Montreal.

Toronto certainly had a lot of fans here too, but they were a distant second. There just wasn't as much passion about them. During the 70s and 80s, if both those teams had played in playoff games the night before, the Montreal game would be the one most people talked about the next day.

I can also say that while fans here cheered for both the Expos and Blue Jays, the Expos were the team they cared about the most.

Last edited by reckoning: 02-09-2012 at 07:46 PM.
reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Montreal was easily the most popular team in the area. They were also easily the most hated team amongst fans of other teams. Nobody here was on the fence about Montreal.

Toronto certainly had a lot of fans here too, but they were a distant second. There just wasn't as much passion about them. During the 70s and 80s, if both those teams had played in playoff games the night before, the Montreal game would be the one most people talked about the next day.

I can also say that while fans here cheered for both the Expos and Blue Jays, the Expos were the team they cared about the most.
I agree with this. I moved from Toronto to Ottawa back in the 80's before the Sens were around and I felt that I was coming into Habs territory, but at the same time there were a lot of Leaf fans around as well. I'm not sure I'd say they were a "distant second". CBC Ottawa usually showed the Leafs, but we had CBC Montreal on basic cable, so the Habs were on as well. The Habs were a lot better than the Leafs back then, which probably helped steer things in their favour. There were a fair number of Bruins fans too.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
whatname

alright, I see. My follow up question is, did a majority of Habs fans convert to Sens fans after Ottawa had a team again? I lived in Ottawa for a while (early-mid 2000s) and during my time there, people were either Sens or Leaf fans, didn't meet many Hab fans. I must admit a fair amount of the Leaf fans I met there are actually from the Toronto area though.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Sens Rule

Ottawa also had quite a few fans of Boston and the Red Wings. I think Montreal likely had the most fans but The Leafs had more young fans (when I was in middle school in 1980's) I suspect because the Leafs were on TV on weeknights on Global. Montreal and Toronto were both available on Saturday nights but Montreal was not on weeknights while Toronto was.

The BIGGEST games when I was in middle school were the Leafs-Wings games. And the biggest issue was Clark vs Probert. Was there a fight?

Of course this is a small sample of my personal experience.

Definitely in Ottawa there were far more Expos fans than Jays fans. It was likely 10-1 ratio.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

No.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote