HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Upgrayedd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Jim Jerome was absolutely awful. If you want to be a host on sports talk radio, it's generally helpful to be knowledgable about sports. He wasn't, and he didn't even try to be. Perhaps he appealed to an, "aging slacker" demographic out there, but I found his schtick to be one of the reasons I wasn't listening as often any more. I'm sorry to see a guy lose his job, but he just wasn't making a contribution any longer.

He was far from the only problem, though - the TEAM's entire format is disjointed and tired. This station is in desperate need of a re-brand and a shot in the arm. You would have to think it is coming soon...
Agree with this pretty much, i listen to the team most days at work and i would request more known and respected sports figures be included in the program, and please for the love of all that is holy STOP with the same callers and e-mailers over and over and over, i would think most of us simply tune out! Maybe a good idea to grab the take from the rome show of not allowing callers/e-mailers to self brand themselves, it has gotten out of control and most of us probably don't need their daily joke/take (Sleepy Steve, Matrix, Raoul, Manstretch, Big Rick etc....)

Old
02-10-2012, 08:34 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Jerome had a drunken tirade on Twitter.

11h Jim Jerome @JungleJimJerome Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Well, I got a lot of time on my hands now. Now I can finally work on adding Maybe into the Yes/No game!
Jim Jerome @JungleJimJerome Reply Retweet Favorite Open
I'm going to go off and start my own podcast now. I'll call in 2 Knives in My Back.
Joke's on them, I'm taking Jimbotron with me!
.@stuntmanstu Hey Buddy! At least you still have a job! Hey, you've got 2! Can I borrow one?
They couldn't afford to pay me anymore. Way better to waste money on that tool McGuire. I bet he doesn't have the Great One on speed dial!
Shawn Lachance @shawntaulicus Reply Retweet Favorite Open
They fire @JungleJimJerome but keep tools like Versage on payroll...awesome
Retweeted by Jim Jerome
Haha, You don't want to know my nickname for Versage. Let's just say it isn't radio friendly!

https://twitter.com/#!/JungleJimJerome
lol - it's a fake twitter address...that's not really Jimmy...Jimmy's reall twitter handle is @JungleJerome

Old
02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I used to fall asleep whenever they'd go to Lee Versage at "Live in the Locker Room" and his pointless leading statements.

Lee Versage: "So, you scored a goal with 2 seconds left in the game. I guess that must make you happy."

Jason Spezza: "Yes, yes it does."

Lee Versage: "It looked like you guys were really trying to score there at the end of the game."

Jason Spezza: "Yes."

Lee Versage: "Seeing as you've lost 4 straight games, it must be good to put up a win tonight."

Jason Spezza: "Yes, it is."

Old
02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Jerome had a drunken tirade on Twitter.

11h Jim Jerome @JungleJimJerome Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Well, I got a lot of time on my hands now. Now I can finally work on adding Maybe into the Yes/No game!
I'm going to go off and start my own podcast now. I'll call in 2 Knives in My Back.
Joke's on them, I'm taking Jimbotron with me!
.@stuntmanstu Hey Buddy! At least you still have a job! Hey, you've got 2! Can I borrow one?
They couldn't afford to pay me anymore. Way better to waste money on that tool McGuire. I bet he doesn't have the Great One on speed dial!
Shawn Lachance @shawntaulicus Reply Retweet Favorite Open
They fire @JungleJimJerome but keep tools like Versage on payroll...awesome
Retweeted by Jim Jerome
Haha, You don't want to know my nickname for Versage. Let's just say it isn't radio friendly!

https://twitter.com/#!/JungleJimJerome

His legit account is @junglejerome fyi

Old
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

I want Liam McGuire

Old
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I want Liam McGuire
Maybe once a week or something but his act gets old pretty quick....probably why his show lasted about a month or 2

Old
02-10-2012, 09:10 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
I want Liam McGuire
Liam McGuire is good in small doses.

Also this Simpson guy who is on with Lee Versage right now, I have a feeling they are bringing him on, but his problem is that he doesnt know how to have a conversation,he talks non stop hardly pausing for breath.

After awhile you dont care what he is saying you just want him to shut up.

If he learned to stop once in awhile and let someone else give thier opinion he might be okay as he is knowlegable.

Regrding McKenzie and Freidman, its good to hear from them but we hear from them a lot anyway. I like having on other voices that arent always on the air such as the Scratches bringing on Trotz and AJ and Versage having people on from junior hockey from various places.

Also like the coverage of local sports that is mostly on Sports Call.

It would be nice to have more actual sports coverage on TGOR now that we dont have to listen to Jeromes endless and pointless anecdotes any more.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Spex

Quote:
I want Liam McGuire
Another example of the good ol' boys club.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

But.. but... but... he knew Wayne Gretzky!

Old
02-10-2012, 09:39 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Regrding McKenzie and Freidman, its good to hear from them but we hear from them a lot anyway. I like having on other voices that arent always on the air such as the Scratches bringing on Trotz and AJ and Versage having people on from junior hockey from various places.
We hear from Elliote for 15 minutes a week, if that on HNIC. He does the occasional prime time sports time, but i think his insights are amongst the best amongst the commentators I hear.

Not into Junior hockey, but really respect AJ and Versage for that insight...

Main thing is, when we hear the National guys, they rarely talk about the Sens on national platforms. Bringing them onto local radio will focus them and give insight into the Sens,etc that wouldn't come out otherwise...

Old
02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

You know who was great on the Team and still is when he makes the occasional stop-in?

GARRY MF'IN GALLEY. When he was the co-host on the time slot that is now the Healthy Scratches, he used his weight in the NHL to bring on some great guests. One of the best was he would be able to get Ray Bourque in almost weekly to discuss the NHL. Ray was the best! He would provide great insight while also telling a great story or two from his playing days. He was also very witty and funny too. I always wondered why he didn't become an analyst himself. He's a natural.

Regarding the layoffs: It's about time they got rid of Jungle "My schtick was great in the 60s on the Gong Show" Jerome and Phil "I sound like I should be broadcasting from my parents basement with Christian Slater" Melanson. People losing their jobs is never a good thing but incompetence should never be rewarded with a steady paycheque.

Liam McGuire - as soon pointed out, he's great in small doses. His one hour show though was unbearable. It was mainly a pulpit for him to name-drop and try to curry favor with his favorite establishments. That or he'd bring up a useless story about a Joe Schmo coming up to him and discussing some Junior A coach they both knew in Stittsville. It was unbearable.

Old
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
operasen

Maybe they give more time to Todd White or Shaun Donovan.

And "Dead Air" Versage - has to go

Old
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
lol - it's a fake twitter address...that's not really Jimmy...Jimmy's reall twitter handle is @JungleJerome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
His legit account is @junglejerome fyi
I feel shame. 2 minutes.

So ... fake jungle jim drunken tirade on twitter?

Old
02-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Stylizer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Maybe they give more time to Todd White or Shaun Donovan.

And "Dead Air" Versage - has to go
You might not like his personality but he does his job well. He is respectful and knowledgeable enough to talk about many issue's pertaining to sports and I thought had very good chemistry with Phil.

Phil did a good job.

Old
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Liam McGuire is good in small doses.

Also this Simpson guy who is on with Lee Versage right now, I have a feeling they are bringing him on, but his problem is that he doesnt know how to have a conversation,he talks non stop hardly pausing for breath.

After awhile you dont care what he is saying you just want him to shut up.

If he learned to stop once in awhile and let someone else give thier opinion he might be okay as he is knowlegable.

Also like the coverage of local sports that is mostly on Sports Call.

It would be nice to have more actual sports coverage on TGOR now that we dont have to listen to Jeromes endless and pointless anecdotes any more.
Man, you are critical. They guy just started, give him a break. He is extremely knoweldgeable with contacts out the wazoo, the show is going to get better, save for people like you who will probably never be happy.

It's ****ing talk radio, relax with the ridiculously high standards.

Old
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
otown

This may be just the beginning at 1200. I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush because there is some half decent programming at 1200 with Steve Lloyd and Jason York (who has improved big time since he first started). The "Power Hour" is still a highlight and Bob Mckenzie's insight is always good to listen to when he is on. AJ is an up and comer who takes his role seriously. The morning show and Sportscall needs massive help. Time to bring in some new hosts who won't break their arms patting each other on the back. Letting Jungle go was long overdue.
We'll see if management talkes note and offers Ottawa quality sports programming with substance.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
wischr

Re: Jim Jerome

I only listen to the morning show sparingly in large part because his act got very tired in his second stint. I think when you have a show that caters to people getting ready for work, it really insults the listeners when you are so cavalier about whether you'll show up or not. He was late so often it was ridiculous. He used to make up for it by pulling an interview from his little black book but those became fewer and farther between. When JR became program director, I thought he might straighten up but he only seemed to abuse the relationship. His puerile, sexist and sometimes mildly racist antics exposed him as a dinosaur (think Krusty and his flapping Dickie/me so solly routine). He should've been fired years ago.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
You might not like his personality but he does his job well. He is respectful and knowledgeable enough to talk about many issue's pertaining to sports and I thought had very good chemistry with Phil.

Phil did a good job.
Versage? Maybe he should produce - as an "on air" host, he does not speak well for someone that has to "On Air" - way to many mental pauses. By now that should have been corrected. Painful to listen to

Old
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Versage? Maybe he should produce - as an "on air" host, he does not speak well for someone that has to "On Air" - way to many mental pauses. By now that should have been corrected. Painful to listen to
Allthough i disagree with Versage about half of the time, the one thing i would suggest to him on bettering himself in his trade is relaxing his insane man crush for the cowboys and romo hard to take any of his nfl takes seriously!

Old
02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
It's like he's trying to be Jim Rome (who I also can't stand). I don't think Lee Versage has ever said anything that could be regarded as a good sports take.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I didn't mind Jungle but hopefully it will become more sports oriented talk.

I'm most happy about Melanson being gone. Dude was a tool.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Lee Versage isn't the biggest on air personality, and he is still painful to listen to sometimes but he's gotten better over time. he's also a company man that does anything and everything at the station to get on the air, I don't think he's going anywhere. Maybe he only looks half decent in comparrison to the scrub he's on the air with tho.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Upgrayedd

Here's to hoping Sun Media will follow suit and relieve the jokers they call sports writers ASAP and re-tool!

Old
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Here's to hoping Sun Media will follow suit and relieve the jokers they call sports writers ASAP and re-tool!
Another reason why TSN Radio is long overdue here. No chance of them calling the mouth-breathers Bruce Garrioch and Don Brennan to be on any program.

Two of the worst sports "personalities" EVER.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Another reason why TSN Radio is long overdue here. No chance of them calling the mouth-breathers Bruce Garrioch and Don Brennan to be on any program.

Two of the worst sports "personalities" EVER.
The rest of them making fun of Bruce is the highlight of the pre game show! Well it isn't... really.

No one from the Sun should make it on the air... they are all hacks.

Closed Thread