HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

GG:We are rebuilding and Jose is the franchise (puke...)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 12:58 PM
habkid73

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstract
Read this the transcript of this interview with Gillett & some comments from Gainey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rry&id=2289889

good!!!!!!jose is the franchise!!!!go puke on yourself leaf fan!!!!!you make me SICK!!!!!!!ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Old
01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
It's official, Gainey is dumb...

"We signed him in the summer because we felt that to be a competitive team, we needed above-average goaltending, and that's what we believe he provides us." - Gainey about Theodore.

5.33 million for above-average goaltending? Theodore never reached the UFA status and he was signed as the 2nd best paid goalie in the league... That's laughable!
are you drunk????we are talking about BOB F**KIN' GAINEY!!!!!seriosly buddy ,how do you even think you know more than him???bob is a legend and if you cant realize that you've never played hockey!!!!!have some respect !!!!

Old
01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
that's not my point, and you clearly completely missed it... My point was, he said that he signed Jose Theodore to provide us above-average goaltending... That's not what you expect of the 2nd best paid goalie in the league that hasn't reached the UFA status (UFA = big salary increase). 5.33 million and he expects above-average goaltending? That's not very smart.
????

Isn't all the best goalers are above-average ?

he didn't say that signed Theo to provide us average goaltending . Above-average > average...

By the way , Theo signed his contract last summer .Yes he's winning more money than most of other the goalers , but those ones have not signed yet ,their next contract .

This week , Luongo has received a 30M $ m for 5 years offer . I am curious to know , how much Fernandez and Roloson are going to get next summer.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by habkid73
are you drunk????we are talking about BOB F**KIN' GAINEY!!!!!seriosly buddy ,how do you even think you know more than him???bob is a legend and if you cant realize that you've never played hockey!!!!!have some respect !!!!

Yep, that's the problem with most of the people here. They never played high-level competition hockey. They "learned" hockey while sitting their arse watching games on tv and playing video games. Playin hockey at a high caliber is a life's school and nobody can teach it unless you were actually in it.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
mcphee

Quote:
good!!!!!!jose is the franchise!!!!go puke on yourself leaf fan!!!!!you make me SICK!!!!!!!ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Do you speak like you type ?
Seems that people would be asking you to keep your voice down quite often.

Leaf fans, though I've shown you much animosity over the years, I don't want any of you to puke on yourselves, or anyone else for that matter. Oh, and franchise player isn't a Leaf fan. He just doesn't like Theo and gets upset when others do. I don't think he really believes Bob Gainey is unintelligent. Right now, when Theo isn't playing well, the decision to cast their lot with him doesn't look good. The decision is made though and there is no real choice other than to ride it out.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Do you speak like you type ?
Seems that people would be asking you to keep your voice down quite often.

Leaf fans, though I've shown you much animosity over the years, I don't want any of you to puke on yourselves, or anyone else for that matter. Oh, and franchise player isn't a Leaf fan. He just doesn't like Theo and gets upset when others do. I don't think he really believes Bob Gainey is unintelligent. Right now, when Theo isn't playing well, the decision to cast their lot with him doesn't look good. The decision is made though and there is no real choice other than to ride it out.
sure,whatever.dude,people are just out of control on here,and i bet98%have never played beyond bantam!!!i'm not saying i'm right but ,how can anyone make calls like this when they've obviosly learned everything from the couch!!!

Old
01-13-2006, 01:57 PM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
Yep, that's the problem with most of the people here. They never played high-level competition hockey. They "learned" hockey while sitting their arse watching games on tv and playing video games. Playin hockey at a high caliber is a life's school and nobody can teach it unless you were actually in it.
you RULE man!i understand this board is for fun, but things are getting out of control!!!if you don't know something ,don't make a stupid comment,trade rumour,etc.,etcabout the subject!ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!HA!

Old
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
That's if you believe that Theodore is anything special.

Just to offer another angle. If Theodore keeps playing like this or only marginally improve his game and we're saddled with his contract for the next 2 years, how does it help us for now and the future to keep him around ?

How much of a difference is there in between losing with Theo or losing with Danis/Huet ?

As far as I'm concerned it's trading Garon and signing Theodore for 3 years at 5.33M that set us back on the "win the cup in 4-5 years" timeline. And it's keeping him around that could keep setting us back.

And yes I know I'm annoying with Theodore. But I just want to understand why people say things such as :

-It will be another Roy all over again !!!1111!!!
-It will set us back (Why would it, at worse we would just keep getting awful goaltending, can it really get any worse?)
-What other options are there instead of Theodore ? (as if he was irreplacable and provided goaltending performances few goalies can offer)
About the Garon issue, I think you're being genuine when you say that you would have traded Theodore and kept Garon instead, and as of now, you'd be looking like a pretty smart GM. But even though I don't think you're one of those who claims hindsight as prophetic, I just don't think many GMs would have made that decision. Before this season, Theodore was still widely regarded as a top goalie, and the clear favourite for the 3rd goaltender on Team Canada. Garon, on the other hand, has only ever been a backup until now, and is almost at FA status.

The point is, as much as it frustrates me to see Theodore struggle for 5+ million a year, I'm just not sure that I would have done differently from Gainey at the time. It would have been counter-intuitive to trade an established top goalie in his prime while still trying to ice a competitive team. For better or worse, Theodore is the franchise. I only wish he were playing like one, and if he were, I don't think the Garon trade would matter much now.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:10 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I'm not sure if you fans are considering that Theodore is playing hurt since the beginning of the season. Wait 'til he's fully healthy.

Old
01-13-2006, 02:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
sure,whatever.dude,people are just out of control on here,and i bet98%have never played beyond bantam!!!i'm not saying i'm right but ,how can anyone make calls like this when they've obviosly learned everything from the couch!!!
Some time on the couch may help you out,dude. I don't think you have to have played beyond bantam to understand the game at the NHL level. I agree that fans tend to react too much in the moment and want moves made on impulse. I believe the have to let Theo work things out, they have too much invested in him and I don't believe they can get anything other than someone else's contract problem for him. Calling Theo a franchise player is a bit much though. I agree that he looked like he would be one after his big year, but he hasn't proved it since. 18 months ago he was rated #3-5 amongst Canadian golaies and lower top 10 in the world. You won't find anyone doing that now, including people paid to evaluate players. btw,wasting punctuation must be bad for the environment.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
That's if you believe that Theodore is anything special.

Just to offer another angle. If Theodore keeps playing like this or only marginally improve his game and we're saddled with his contract for the next 2 years, how does it help us for now and the future to keep him around ?

How much of a difference is there in between losing with Theo or losing with Danis/Huet ?

As far as I'm concerned it's trading Garon and signing Theodore for 3 years at 5.33M that set us back on the "win the cup in 4-5 years" timeline. And it's keeping him around that could keep setting us back.

And yes I know I'm annoying with Theodore. But I just want to understand why people say things such as :

-It will be another Roy all over again !!!1111!!!
-It will set us back (Why would it, at worse we would just keep getting awful goaltending, can it really get any worse?)
-What other options are there instead of Theodore ? (as if he was irreplacable and provided goaltending performances few goalies can offer)
Appreciate that you offer another angle. But I think people need to look at the greater picture. There is no doubt that Theodore has struggled this year. But I am not going to judge him on half a season compared to what he has done in his, thus far, successful career. Most, if not all, players go thru periods where they don't play up to their potential. It happened to St. Patrick. As an example, last season Mike Modano was awful, he had 42 points and was a -21. Well, this season he has 45 points in 43 games and is +21. Well, think the Stars are happy that they remained patient with their captain? I think so..and given Modano's age, they had more reason to be concerned that last season signified the beginning of a drop in his play. The lack of patience by most Habs fans is absurd and everyone thinks they would be a better GM than Gainey. That is BS. Most, if not all fans/posters would be awful GMs. (though still better than Reggie Houle ;-))The traits of a good GM are not to make many trades, play with chemistry and screw-up continuity. A good GM is patient, evaluates his players, understands his players potential and then makes strategic moves using strengths to fix weaknesses.

Now, if you felt that Garon would be a better goalie than Theo, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, after only 40 games I have not seen enough to make that conclusion, nor call the Bonk trade a bust. It may end up being a bad trade, but it is still too soon to make that call.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
About the Garon issue, I think you're being genuine when you say that you would have traded Theodore and kept Garon instead, and as of now, you'd be looking like a pretty smart GM. But even though I don't think you're one of those who claims hindsight as prophetic, I just don't think many GMs would have made that decision. Before this season, Theodore was still widely regarded as a top goalie, and the clear favourite for the 3rd goaltender on Team Canada. Garon, on the other hand, has only ever been a backup until now, and is almost at FA status.

The point is, as much as it frustrates me to see Theodore struggle for 5+ million a year, I'm just not sure that I would have done differently from Gainey at the time. It would have been counter-intuitive to trade an established top goalie in his prime while still trying to ice a competitive team. For better or worse, Theodore is the franchise. I only wish he were playing like one, and if he were, I don't think the Garon trade would matter much now.

Good, level headed post. BG had no choice last summer but to pay THeo that salary bec of Chicago setting a ridiculous market value for goalies!! No way could he have risked losing Theo in one season to Free A. WITHOUT having a proven alternative.

For those who feel BG's term "above average goaltending" was politically correct I'd say it was more a case of covering his (and Theos) *** by Downpleying their expectations (and esp Ours/fans) for him. What else is he going to say: We signed one of the premier goalies in the nhl but he's played like one of the worst?!

More than anything, this team is suffering from "underachieving players" and "over expecting fans" (which is definately Me) !! But i don't think its too much to expect from a pro team to At Least ice a "competitive" team and as a long suffering fan my patience is dissappearing Fast!!

Old
01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
clvmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
That's just the way management is. Bob isnt dumb.. he's not gonna put down his number 1 goalie like that. The season isn't over yet and maybe just maybe feeling that the management still has a lot of confidence in him Theodore will be able to turn it around. Also for those who want Theo to be traded... name me a team who would want a goalie that even his own team doesn't believe in him?
IF BOB WON'T PUT HIM DOWN, I SURE WILL. HE'S ABOUT AS MUCH OF A #1 GOALIE AS I AM. HE'S NEVER TO BE COUNTED ON WHEN THE TEAM NEEDS HIM THE MOST. I HATE TO SEE HIM IN THE NET, THE MONEY GRABBING SELFISH ****.
IF WE ARE REBUILDING, AFTER 37 YRS OFF WATCHING THE HABS, I'M NO LONGER A FAN! I'M SICK TO DEATH OF MIS-MANAGEMENT, BG INCLUDED.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvmcs
IF BOB WON'T PUT HIM DOWN, I SURE WILL. HE'S ABOUT AS MUCH OF A #1 GOALIE AS I AM. HE'S NEVER TO BE COUNTED ON WHEN THE TEAM NEEDS HIM THE MOST. I HATE TO SEE HIM IN THE NET, THE MONEY GRABBING SELFISH ****.
IF WE ARE REBUILDING, AFTER 37 YRS OFF WATCHING THE HABS, I'M NO LONGER A FAN! I'M SICK TO DEATH OF MIS-MANAGEMENT, BG INCLUDED.
Where was the word 're-building' used ? Thanks for the large letters,my bi-focals are annoying me.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
alexstream

True,
It'd be way better to trade our #1 Goalie to Colorado for a second rate goalie and a soft struggling winger.

Wait... didn't we do that ten years ago?

Old
01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvmcs
WHEN WE NEED HIM THE MOST?!!!
*rofl*
here, a valium, take it, it's for your own good.

We don't need a goalie to play stellar games right now.
1. we need to score GOALS
2. we need our defense to WAKE UP

Gimme a Break.
Opposite team are given every opportunities to score. Their instruction is to go hard and deep... All out offense as they say... why? cause we can't stop them, we can't get them out.
And why should they worry about a risk of an oddman rush if they go too deep and make a bonehead pass??? They don't have to worry, cause we DONT SCORE.

Even if Theo was playing like god out there, I doubt he could score 2-3 goals per game... Sorry to tell you that.

Yes he can step up, and I'm not afraid he will; he has always stepped up WHEN WE NEEDED HIM THE MOST,
e.g.
-Playoff stretch in 2001-02 (we had no team, he brought us to playoffs right now we have a team, but it's playing like crap... a crap team playing well is always better than a good team playing like crap)
-we also needed him in game 5 and 6 vs the Boons in 01-02 cause we had lost our scoring machine
-we also needed him in game 5,6,7 vs the boons in 03-04

Right now, what do you need him for??? Drive the zamboni? tie Mike Ribeiro's skate?

Fact is we don't need sound goaltending cause we can't benefit from it. Even with sound goaltending we only can score 1 goal and our defense lets laperierre get in the crease and we let the player behind the net give him the golden pass on the tape for the GWG... What good is it to have solid goaltending if we spoil it???

Closed Thread