HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#55, 2/9/12, Kings lose to Panthers 3-1

Old
02-10-2012, 02:36 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
To wrap up this cluster, I'd like to say I'm disgusted that nobody went after Bergenheim. This team is lifeless and they don't give a damn about each other. That's all you need to know about where this team is going.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:45 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
As did I. I just think as a collective whole, everyone on here has finally accepted it is all.
i havent accepted it. I still have some hope that the Kings will flick the switch

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:49 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
If by offense you mean offensive part of the game, fine. If you mean the actual forwards than this is one of the biggest misconceptions on this forum. And there are many that share your opinion in that case.

Forwards DO play the defense! They are part of defense. They have always been, they will always be. They hit, steal pucks, block shots, cover their men, cover the lanes, play the body,... They are just as much part of the defense as the defensemen.

Oh, and defensemen are just as much part of the offense as forwards. At least they should be in a normal system, not destroyed by Murray/Kompon. Sutter said couple of days ago, that defensemen are part of the offensive problem, because there are no useful passes from the D zone, which means that forwards need to come all the way back and carry the puck over two lines.

If I see someone posting, that defensemen must be good because GAA is low and forwards must be bad, because Goals For is low, I can't help but to think that these people are kids.
No I didn't mean forwards. I mean the players that are out there to play offense. Loktionov never takes a faceoff in the defensive zone, and he's always matched up with the other team's 3rd or 4th line... yet he is a giant black hole of offensive suckage.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:52 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Is anyone still watching the entire games anymore?
Since games start between 1 and 4 AM here, I watch them after work later in the day. I look at the results and read the PGT and then go home and watch the entire game.

Thinking about it, it might actually be less frustrating than watching live.

Last edited by FootKnight: 02-10-2012 at 02:57 AM.
FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

K17,

Sutter may not be TM 2.0, but it's another guy that Dean was familiar with from the dead puck era. A very large chunk of his player acquisitions and coach hirings are guys he has a history with. Hextall, Murray, Stevens, Sutter, Richards, Handzus Stuart, McCauley, Williams, Preissing, Jones, Gagne, Thornton, Sturm. Now maybe if Dean had a cup or two, or a trip to the finals this could be justified, but this is a man, who in over a dozen years managing NHL teams has never advanced past the second round of the playoffs. We should not be trying to capture those "When I was in San Jose" days.

Now I'm sure sjmay will be in here shortly to say people like myself, psp, bleed etc. take joy in the Kings losing, let me tell you it's not the case. I would rather be eating crow with the Kings leading the division than having to talk about this teams fight for a playoff spot with one of the worst offenses in recent memory, but sadly many of the concerns we had about this General Manager's plan have sadly come to fruition.

"Building From The Net Out" and "Strength Down The Middle" suddenly don't look so great in a league that is largely won on speed and skill. Those two corny Lombardi-isms look stupid when you have the worst offense in the league, only one player who can make defenders back up, and not even a first line player much less a gamebreaker on the wing.

Last edited by Herby: 02-10-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
People should have realized that right off the Bat.

(Hell Herby and I also PSP)have been telling people that since the Season Started.

TM2.0.
It's been alot longer for me, I probably wanted him gone long before anyone else. I always heard the excuse "He's not a Lombardi type player" everytime the Kings traded, lost to fa, failed to sign or failed to draft a skilled player. I would always ask what a Lombardi player was, well the 2012 Kings are a team full of hand picked Lombardi players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Nice to see you back.

Richards, good enough for Team Canada, but certainly not a star calibre forward? C'mon.
Thanks. I enjoyed this board to much to let one beer league pro ruin the experience. As much as I'll miss every post directed at me starting with an "LOL" this board will be more fun.

As for Richards, he is a good player, not saying he isn't, and you could make a case he is star caliber. But the Kings still need that sniper to play with Kopitar if they are even going to sniff playoff success. The Kings situation on the wing is hideous and is the main reason the team sits last in goals, sadly it was a problem that you could see coming a mile away with Dean's philosophy on building a winning hockey team.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:35 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

The Kings are now the old Minnesota Wild.

Low scoring, if they score at all, defensive team that relies completely on goal tending.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:48 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Well he's right about the surrounding him with garbage part.
Well...I'm not sure if garbage would be the right word...because garbage is a step UP from what he is surrounded with...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:35 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
To wrap up this cluster, I'd like to say I'm disgusted that nobody went after Bergenheim. This team is lifeless and they don't give a damn about each other. That's all you need to know about where this team is going.
We too are disgusted that no one went after Richards, but the two points were more important.

Nice contingency of LA fans at the game, mostly sitting behind the LA bench. Good, polite fans. You guys are welcome anytime, to our board and our arena.

Good luck the rest of the season.

cheers.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
We have good passers, but developing better passing comes with chemistry, and in order to gain chemistry you have to have a run and gun system like the flyers,
Say what?

Chemistry is developed no matter what system you entail....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Capn Brown

At what point do we panic and swap Toffoli for Moulson?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
What happened to the promise of accountability?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
What happened to the promise of accountability?
Who do you bench when outside of the goalies and a few defensemen, they all suck?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Who do you bench when outside of the goalies and a few defensemen, they all suck?
Maybe use a lottery ball system? Lombardi is in a tough spot, as much as most King fans want guys like Penner, Stoll, Hunter, Lewis, etc.. gone I'm not sure any NHL would even want those guys UFA after the season or not. So I would sit them. Do like the goalies, if the Kings win the lineup stays the same, if they lose anybody can be healthy scratched based on their performance in their last game. I'm sure Sutter watches tape and can pick out the players who put up the worst performance against Florida.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Los Angeles Kings Playoff Chances
Lost to Florida 1-3, playoff odds down 9 to 58.3%
62 points 26 19-10

Kings approaching a "black hole" finish. 6 years of Dean and the Kings are almost back where they started with the worst offense in the entire NHL.

After 55 games last year the Kings had 63 points and were a +23 in goal differential (10th place).

The Kings right now have 62 points and are a -1 in goal differential (7th place).

Is that really enough to keep a GM after 6 years on the job? Good thing the West is worst this season or the Kings would be in more trouble.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I didn't come on the boards last night after I seen we lost, I figured I'd wait until the morning and see how many posts were in here.

Not shocked to see 160+. Typical, every time we lose there's a thread full of lists about who sucked, how the team sucks, management sucks, everyone should be traded, woe is me for being a Kings fan, etc, etc.

When we win, we get half as many posts, and still some are along the lines of 'this team was lucky to get two points tonight'

I get it that it's more en vogue to ***** than to be positive, but sometimes this gets ridiculous around here. We aren't having the season we wanted, I get it and I'm disappointed just like the rest of you. But we aren't Columbus or something, chill out.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I get it that it's more en vogue to ***** than to be positive, but sometimes this gets ridiculous around here.

Voicing complaint when things are "bad" and remaining silent when things are "good" .....an argument can be made that this is directly linked to millions of years of evolution.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Voicing complaint when things are "bad" and remaining silent when things are "good" .....an argument can be made that this is directly linked to millions of years of evolution.
Well put...

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I didn't come on the boards last night after I seen we lost, I figured I'd wait until the morning and see how many posts were in here.

Not shocked to see 160+. Typical, every time we lose there's a thread full of lists about who sucked, how the team sucks, management sucks, everyone should be traded, woe is me for being a Kings fan, etc, etc.

When we win, we get half as many posts, and still some are along the lines of 'this team was lucky to get two points tonight'

I get it that it's more en vogue to ***** than to be positive, but sometimes this gets ridiculous around here. We aren't having the season we wanted, I get it and I'm disappointed just like the rest of you. But we aren't Columbus or something, chill out.
What about the people that saw this coming with the hiring of Murray and Sutter? People complain about the "complainers" after a win even though the same issues are still present. The reason you see more posts after a loss is because the team is the worst offensive team in the NHL, not just bad, but the worst. If people bring up the fact that the Kings are 15-0-1 when scoring 3+ goals, we are told that this proves the "system" works and the Kings just aren't lucky. Nevermind the fact that 16 games of "offense" is only 29% of the Kings games so far. That is bad and there are zero signs that Sutter was a "good" hire, just like most of us predicted.

I was willing to give him 15 games to see if Sutter had changed his ways, but the Kings are scoring less with Sutter than they did with Murray. Sure the Kings don't give up a lot, but they are a huge minus 5-on-5 right now and that is a bad sign for a "playoff" team. "Fixing" the PP doesn't get you much if you are only getting 2 or 3 chances per game on the PP. Even a great PP is around 20%, so 1 goal in 5 chances equals about 0.5 goals per game. When you are below 2 5-on-5 goals per game, another 0.5 goals isn't going to get you to 3 goals per game.

Since the coach is hired by the GM and is an extension of his philosophy, the failures of the team fall on the GM. AEG isn't going to fire 20+ players, some on long term, high salary contracts; they will fire the management team. I believe that the Kings are now at the point of no return with Lombardi, there isn't anything more that he could do that fits into his philosophy. He has created a cap team built from the back out and deep down the middle with a defensive minded coaching staff. It doesn't work anymore and he is out of ideas.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Nice to see you back.

Richards, good enough for Team Canada, but certainly not a star calibre forward? C'mon.

Richards was the Kings' best forward until he got concussed. He still isn't right. I don't care what he says.
Mike Richards had a hot dtretch during december (he had a few very productive games right after he came back from the concussion), but he hasn't produced anything special before the concussion - the first 20 games he hasn't been anything special. And you can still find the Gann article/interview where he said he is medical fine - just frustrated for production. His 27 points (2 more than Doughty) are unimpressive and 7 less games than Kopitar, he has 21 less points. He had better numbers playing with Nodl/Carcillo with his wrist injury last year then he has had in LA. Now take off your mancrushing homer glasses.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Dropdapuck

Quote:
We aren't having the season we wanted, I get it and I'm disappointed just like the rest of you. But we aren't Columbus or something, chill out.
If we fans are not willing to hold the organization accountable for this mess then we deserve what we get. I'm fed up with mediocrity, excuses and comparisons to hapless teams.

The sooner Lombardi is gone, the better. This is the guy who has been preaching character, character, character but who ripped the players for giving up on Murray. He's the one who put this team together. Why hasn't he ripped himself for putting together a team that he thinks gave up on the coach? This is the guy who has emphasized the need for depth in the modern era. Well, where is the depth? It certainly isn't on the second, third or fourth lines and it apparently isn't in Manchester either. He's the guy who put together a team whose identity is as a defense first, perimeter playing, soft, slowish, mediocre passing, avoid the high risk, high reward offensive areas. He's the guy who put together the worst offense in the league in an era when it is important to be in the top third. Has he done good things as well? Of course, but after 5 and a half years it's the results that count. Enough already.

Dropdapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post

Everything is not fine. This team's offense is pathetic. 8 shots given up through two periods means the defense is playing out of their minds, yet the offense can't score if their lives depended on it.
Hahaha I love this.

Look, I know everything is not fine. I say it partially tongue in cheek. However, I still think things aren't as bad as they seem. I know these games are painful to watch but I've watched this league long enough to know that momentum can swing quickly. Alot can happen between now and June. I'm certainly not saying that we are on the path to the cup for this season, but I'm also not throwing in the towel just yet.

I can totally understand why people are so upset. This team is not performing to expectations this year and it's a big time bummer so far. But what I don't understand is comments like DL is a "snake oil salesman". Do people really think that Dean was lying to us? Like he doesn't believe in his heart that he was making the right moves? Like he screwed this franchise on purpose? That he was lying when he said he planned on making this team a "powerhouse"? C'mon guys, have a little more faith than THAT.

I'm willing to admit that DL might not be as smart as he thinks he is but I don't doubt for a second that he is losing alot of sleep this season. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy but please remember that there are 29 other teams that are trying to win hockey games too.

If he's fired this summer, so be it. But for now, we still have a shot at turning this around.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Someone on Hammondblog mentioned that Jordan Nolan is on his way up. Take it with a humongous grain of salt, since it wasn't corroborated with a source, but I take what excitement I can get after games like last night

All I can say about last night's game now is that it upset me, but nothing to do but move on. Two big back-to-back games coming up (who decided to road trip from NYI to Dallas in less than 24 hours? Blecch )

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Mike Richards had a hot dtretch during december (he had a few very productive games right after he came back from the concussion),
He had goals in his first 2 games back, and he didn't come back until the 23rd of Dec. I don't tihnk that's a hot stretch.

Quote:
but he hasn't produced anything special before the concussion - the first 20 games he hasn't been anything special.
He had 11 goals, 9 in 10 games and 7 were GWG or GTG and 20 points in the first 24 games, also was very stellar defensively esp on the PK and defended his teammates when they were run. His first 24 games were solid on both sides of the puck and in NOV he was arguably their best forward. So I would disagree with you on him 'not producing anything special before the concussion'

Quote:
And you can still find the Gann article/interview where he said he is medical fine - just frustrated for production.
That was the only answer he could give, as would most players. He said that last year too and two years ago whe nhe played the whole year with torn labrums in both shoulders. Most hockey players would give that same answer.
And he was/is affected by that injury. It sucks, but it's hockey ,a very physical sport and it happens.

Quote:
His 27 points (2 more than Doughty) are unimpressive and 7 less games than Kopitar, he has 21 less points. He had better numbers playing with Nodl/Carcillo with his wrist injury last year then he has had in LA. Now take off your mancrushing homer glasses.
He had more points last year because 1 ) he did'nt lose 3 weeks to a head injury (and suffer thru the aftereffects) and 2) he played in Lavvy's system which is the polar opposite of this one. Those 'unimpressive ' points you call out were responsible for several wins, esp in Oct when he had 6 primary assists on game winning goals. In November when Kopi stopped scoring for part of hs 17 game slump, Richards put up 9 in 10 games.

Most fans of Mike Richards , in LA, PHlly or thru out the NHL don't wear 'mancrush homer glasses', they are just intelligent Hockey fans who are students of the game and appreciate a player for ALL of what he brings to the ice, not just points.

He got hurt Dec 1 and this team dropped 5 games in a row and only managed 2 wins in the 8 games he missed. That should tell you alot about what he does, esp in his own zone. Scuderi and Greene both mentioned (separately post games ) how much he was missed, from scuds saying how Richards is one of hte smartest players he's ever played with and rarely makes a mistake with the puck, to Greene saying how he's like have a third D out there and Mitchell saying that the quality chances and shots on goal by the oppositoin are cut down because Richards plays the lanes so well and gets a stick on the puck or puts pressure on

All the Kings fans have seen that he has to put up more points, that's not news. But most of them who know the game, know he's doing more than most other non scoring players by all of the rest of what he does.
This is the worst and longest slump of his NHL career, and it is tied into the injury, it happened. Maybe sulking over it makes you feel better but not sure how. But there are players on this team who have not been injured and are underperforming as well.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Ollie Weeks

Not gonna lie, I think we're screwed.

But even if we manage to make the playoffs, half the forward roster needs to be sent to the glue factory in the offseason.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote