HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This might come off as a surprise... (AK)

Old
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Avim86

vCash: 500
stubbs:

#Habs AK46 was telling Gomez: "No way. It wasn't you. Really? No. Really?! You're kidding. Did it count?" That's why Gomez was cracking up 10m Dave Stubbs Dave Stubbs @habsinsideout1

#Habs AK46 has been riding Gomez all season about drought. Tonight on b

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Same here.

patofqc, young gun, larek and Habs Junkie are on a mission lately.
I've just made patofqc and larek nonpersons. Eventually I'll disintegrate a few more.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
Apples and oranges indeed, as one is in his prime years and the other was 37 years old and playing the worst hockey of his career. I agree that AK is not known to be a big time playoff guy so teams who could be interested might just wait and see if he hits the market this summer.
As I recall AK had a hat trick against the Caps in the memorable playoff upset. Too bad Halak was less than magical in that game or the Habs would have won in 6 rather than 7.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
first agreed that Clarkson is the type of player I'd love to have, and that he is having a ''career'' year ... but honestly... neil and clarkson are not as good as A.kos offensively, and it wouldn't surprised me one bit if clarkson had 3x the pp time A.kos has here. don't expect to pay roughly the same amount for a guy as talented + fights + ect ... Besides lucic and hartnell there aren't many players in that mold, and they will be more expensive than AK garanteed.

If you'd invest 3.5 to 4m on a 3rd liner who can chip in 15g and fight.... logic points out at letting white play for peanuts and do that job even better peharps.

your hate for AK is well known here, and its ok, its just that with such broken arguments have the decency to expect an answer.
Let me clarify and if that fails, I'll do a drawing.

The Habs went and got another Kostitsyn with a bit more bite for that price in Rene Bourque, who's under contract for a few more years. Don't need two.

When I say to use that money for a player in the mold of Chris Neil or David Clarkson, I'm not suggesting that the Habs should pay them the same amount. I am however saying to use that money to get a player like them, even if they have a bit less offensive production. Of course, there might be some money left over which will be used to sign Subban, Price or other RFA's.

As for the others' comments on UFA's availability, they conveniently forgot that trades do happen, especially at the trade deadline and in the summer.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I've just made patofqc and larek nonpersons. Eventually I'll disintegrate a few more.
Those two plus Habsterix are also invisible to me. I'm guessing they've been actively bashing as always?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

The Habs went and got another Kostitsyn with a bit more bite for that price in Rene Bourque, who's under contract for a few more years. Don't need two.

When I say to use that money for a player in the mold of Chris Neil or David Clarkson, I'm not suggesting that the Habs should pay them the same amount. I am however saying to use that money to get a player like them, even if they have a bit less offensive production. Of course, there might be some money left over which will be used to sign Subban, Price or other RFA's.

As for the others' comments on UFA's availability, they conveniently forgot that trades do happen, especially at the trade deadline and in the summer.
Again...how does not re-signing Kostitsyn help in getting a rare breed of forward that doesn't get moved often? Give me some names. We should be drafting them, not overpaying for ones that are on the verge or already are past their primes.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Again...how does not re-signing Kostitsyn help in getting a rare breed of forward that doesn't get moved often? Give me some names. We should be drafting them, not overpaying for ones that are on the verge or already are past their primes.
We could get a pick for him! That pick could be anything, it could even be a 20G 45Pts tough minutes power winger just like we need! I hear those are awesome!

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
We could get a pick for him! That pick could be anything, it could even be a 20G 45Pts tough minutes power winger just like we need! I hear those are awesome!
That would be awesome .

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Well Neil or Clarkson are not available, and they aren't a dime a dozen either. So, instead of saying that we should get rid of AK for a player like them, tell me who could we realistically get? I always wanted Steve Ott, but I know he won't be moved and he's getting older. So, who else really? That can replace that 20G-40Pts production AK brings?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

Yea i'm curious to know who these players are?
Lets trade for Penner? For Stewart? god knows those came cheap, and became super effective with their teams...
I'm starting to think you don't even agree with your "opinion"

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
look around the league, take a look at the players in that Bourque/Kostitsyn mold on each team, those players need more players like themselves to play with them to be effective.

If you're relying on Bourque/Kostitsyn to handle tough minutes against big players they won't do much, if you rely on Bourque+Kostitsyn they'll do ya some good.

edit: that's why we need to keep Moen AND Kostitsyn.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
look around the league, take a look at the players in that Bourque/Kostitsyn mold on each team, those players need more players like themselves to play with them to be effective.

If you're relying on Bourque/Kostitsyn to handle tough minutes against big players they won't do much, if you rely on Bourque+Kostitsyn they'll do ya some good.

edit: that's why we need to keep Moen AND Kostitsyn.
Yeah I really don't get the logic there that such players would be better off isolated and therefore relied upon more. If you can get Kostitsyn back for a good price, him and Bourque compliment each other nicely, because they are both low maintenance secondary scorers. They might go on draughts but they also don't need a playmaker to do the work for them, guys like that instantly make line building more flexible.

Not to mention in a league like the NHL where anyone can beat anyone on their day, momentum is everything. One of your inconsistent guys gets hot at just the right moment and suddenly you are that much more scary in the playoffs, why hedge your bets on only one guy like that? Look at what Ryder did to us last year.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah I really don't get the logic there that such players would be better off isolated and therefore relied upon more.
some ppl just have low hockey iq

Old
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Yea he likes to make other laugh, plus he is very close to Molson.
Molson EX ? Molson M or Molson Canadian ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:
some ppl just have low hockey iq
Yes, if Kostitsyn and Bourque were more intelligent players they'd probably be near PPG players, but instead they are depth scorers. It's unfortunate especially with Kostitsyn considering how much potential he had but at least for the last 2 years he's been playing hard. He just doesn't think quick enough to be a high end player.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well Neil or Clarkson are not available, and they aren't a dime a dozen either. So, instead of saying that we should get rid of AK for a player like them, tell me who could we realistically get? I always wanted Steve Ott, but I know he won't be moved and he's getting older. So, who else really? That can replace that 20G-40Pts production AK brings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Yea i'm curious to know who these players are?
Lets trade for Penner? For Stewart? god knows those came cheap, and became super effective with their teams...
I'm starting to think you don't even agree with your "opinion"
Let's be honest here... no matter what name I'd bring forward here, you folks in love with AK would find any which way to dismantle, take apart those names with empty statements like "he's not available", or he's "too expensive", or "he's not a good player". Yes, I do have a few names and no, it's not Penner. But no, there's no sense in wasting my time (or yours) only to get into another classic HF pissing war.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yes, if Kostitsyn and Bourque were more intelligent players they'd probably be near PPG players, but instead they are depth scorers. It's unfortunate especially with Kostitsyn considering how much potential he had but at least for the last 2 years he's been playing hard. He just doesn't think quick enough to be a high end player.
maybe, maybe not.. give him players he can play with... my fav for that was Latendresse: he was amazing while he was here, but he was glued to Lapierre meaning that he couldn't do the things he wanted.. keeping Kostitsyn with ppl that he needs to use his body to protect means that he can't do the things he wants to do on the ice and instead has to play someone elses game. we've seen what he can do when he's allowed to play his game, so i don't think we should say he isn't great at quick thinking, more that he is put with players that put him out of his element.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Let's be honest here... no matter what name I'd bring forward here, you folks in love with AK would find any which way to dismantle, take apart those names with empty statements like "he's not available", or he's "too expensive", or "he's not a good player". Yes, I do have a few names and no, it's not Penner. But no, there's no sense in wasting my time (or yours) only to get into another classic HF pissing war.
You could have saved even more time and just said you were copping out. At least then you wouldn't have contradicted your own post on respecting different opinions/points by calling those "empty statements".

Quote:
Some day, you might learn that a forum is based on different opinions as otherwise, you'd have a bunch a people agreeing on everything. In theory, it may sound great but it's far from reality. The day that you realize that, you then will have to learn to respect the fact that other members' opinions might differ from yours and should eventually grow to the point of respecting those differences of opinions.
This defending your original (empty?) statement saying, "Habs and their fans have been used to mediocrity and half ass effort since 1995. They should sign him to keep on the same pace.."

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You could have saved even more time and just said you were copping out. At least then you wouldn't have contradicted your own post on respecting different opinions/points by calling those "empty statements".

This defending your original (empty?) statement saying, "Habs and their fans have been used to mediocrity and half ass effort since 1995. They should sign him to keep on the same pace.."
The reason why I called it "empty statements" is because opinions are rarely facts and some confuse the two, as I've pointed out yesterday in this very thread. It's one thing to say that "in my opinion, player x is not available", but to state that he's not is purely empty. See what I mean?

Just to show you that it's not a cope out, as you seem to insinuate, here are just a few names of players who I feel (see that it's an opinion here?) could bring something lacking: Matt Martin (NYI), David Clarkson (NJD), Derek Dorsett (CBJ), Kyle Clifford (LAK), Steve Ott (DAL), Bryan Bickell (CHI), Matt Beleskey (ANA), Tanner Glass (WIN). Would all of them be available? Perhaps not. Would they all cost the same thing to acquire? I doubt it. Are they all at the same level? Absolutely not.

As predicted before, I'm now expecting AK lovers (hey, I'm called a hater so it must be okay to reverse the compliment, no?) to dismantle those names and start the traditional HF Boards pissing war... in 3, 2, 1...

Having said that, Ryan White might be able to fill some of that role, and we do have a long shot in Hamilton, although not ready, in Ian Schultz...

Old
02-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
The reason why I called it "empty statements" is because opinions are rarely facts and some confuse the two, as I've pointed out yesterday in this very thread. It's one thing to say that "in my opinion, player x is not available", but to state that he's not is purely empty. See what I mean?

Just to show you that it's not a cope out, as you seem to insinuate, here are just a few names of players who I feel (see that it's an opinion here?) could bring something lacking: Matt Martin (NYI), David Clarkson (NJD), Derek Dorsett (CBJ), Kyle Clifford (LAK), Steve Ott (DAL), Bryan Bickell (CHI), Matt Beleskey (ANA), Tanner Glass (WIN). Would all of them be available? Perhaps not. Would they all cost the same thing to acquire? I doubt it. Are they all at the same level? Absolutely not.

As predicted before, I'm now expecting AK lovers (hey, I'm called a hater so it must be okay to reverse the compliment, no?) to dismantle those names and start the traditional HF Boards pissing war... in 3, 2, 1...

Having said that, Ryan White might be able to fill some of that role, and we do have a long shot in Hamilton, although not ready, in Ian Schultz...
what you want has nothing to do with what you want to get rid of. why do you want holes in our lineup?

Old
02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
DrunkenHabz

Keep AK! He looks more and more confident in talking to his teammates and he looks more involved in the plays.

And after seeing his reaction when Gomez scored, I fell in love with him! He smiles much more now, and not only when scoring a goal. He shoots more, hits more, tries new stuff.

Don't know if that rumor of him asking to be signed for less in Montreal is true, but that makes my choice even easier to make.

I guess I just learned to like the guy.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
what you want has nothing to do with what you want to get rid of. why do you want holes in our lineup?
That "hole" has been replaced by Rene Bourque. The "hole" that wasn't replaced is Cammalleri. The team still needs another forward, stronger than AK and/or Bourque for the top 6. What I want plugs another huge "hole".

Old
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
That "hole" has been replaced by Rene Bourque. The "hole" that wasn't replaced is Cammalleri. The team still needs another forward, stronger than AK and/or Bourque for the top 6. What I want plugs another huge "hole".
and then you have to replace the hole left by dropping AK... that's the point, keep AK, keep Moen, and then plug that hole.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Watch out you don't end up with a penalty-amassing defensive sieve while getting your 20G 45 pointer. Do you want to wear out your penalty killers while allowing a surplus of goals against? I wouldn't consider AK a defensive liability.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
and then you have to replace the hole left by dropping AK... that's the point, keep AK, keep Moen, and then plug that hole.
No you don't.

They tried replacing Cammalleri with Bourque, who is more a replacement for AK (look at their career stats, you'll see). The whole that needs to be filled is Cammalleri's and AK isn't it.