HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Honest non-biased opinion: What do you think of Joni?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
I think he is going to be a special player. The next Lidstrom.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Personally, if I was a Flyer fan, I would be happy if he became the first Joni Pitakkanen if not the next Leetch.
Well said SBOB!

Old
11-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
first off i think it is funny that getting rid of ulanov is considered such a great move when sather shouldn't have signed ulanov in the first place. so you screw up and sign him and then get rid of him, you are now even. you didn't make a good move, you just undid a really bad one...

second, no one is saying that we shouldn't have traded for bure just that we gave up too much considering how desparate the panthers were to deal him and since we were the only possible trade partner. giving up a 1st round pick was WAY too much...even if that meant we had to keep ulanov and buy him out, a team that has missed the playoffs 6 straight years should almost never under any circumstances trade away their first round pick (the only exception would be if you are getting a young franchise player like joe thornton in return)

and shouldn't the fact that no one else wanted bure tell you something?? other teams could have afford his salary but they wanted no part of a one-dimensional player who's game is based on speed with 2 bad knees...bure's knees didn't get bad after the trade, they have been bad for years...isn't it funny how anytime there is a player that only the rangers want and they get him in a 'steal' the guy turns out to be a bust, and whenever another team wants someone the rangers miss out and the guy does great...

at the very least given bure's history of knee problems, sather could have protected himself by putting in a clause that said if bure got hurt we'd get the 1st rounder back...but that would require thinking about how something effects the team beyond the next 2 months. but if the rangers ever did that they would be unloading guys instead of bring in overpaid, injury-prone, past-their-prime vets

NYR469 that makes alot of sense and you make a great point. And I did think Sather learned alot from the Bure mistake and we can see that in the Kovalev deal.

I just remember when the deal was being talked about and Yorks name was being thrown around. I was just excited to see that we lost nothing immediate, first rounder was tough to swallow and Bure was a huge risk... me personally, thats just the kind of risk I would take every once in a while, mainly cause I love the way Bure plays. He's no Selke winner but he can open up a game or change it every night. He's the kind of play that takes you out of your seat, and for the rest of the season he was a machine.

But NYR469 you were right and sold me on your idea very well. The first rounder was too much. Novak and a second would be more reasonable. A first rounder has too much value. However, the Ulanov thing I really dont agree with you about. No one wanted to COME CLOSE TO ULANOV. Dallas was in there for the Bure trade, so were LA and the Avs too. Ulanov was so bad that no one would have wanted anything to do with him. The signing at the time didnt seem like a brilliant move, but no one could have predicted he'd be that bad. So loosing Ulanov really was more of a plus in my opinon than it was in yours.

But great analysis. Sold me.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
And Pitakken is gonna be great. Leetch caliber offense... I dont know, MAYBE. Leetch can do things with the puck Ive never seen anybody else do so comparing anyone too Leetch is a bold statement. But Joni is young and looks INCREDIBLE.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Jackson Ranger

I went into the game wanting to see for myself how good he really is but kind of got distracted with other events on the ice, such as how the Rangers were dealing with Brashear and then watching the amount of obstruction going on.

But two things stick out. One, the time he got tied up with Kaspar and when Kaspar tried to get his stick out of the blade, Joni reacted with a slash. Not saying anything about how it should have been a penalty because it wasn't much of a slash, just enough of one to make Kaspar know that the kid means business. Two, during one rush, I forget who on Flyers curled near the blue line but one of the first Flyers to cross the blue line was Joni to accept the pass and make a play. At first I was like, who is that with speed and then realized who and was impressed with him jumping into the play.

Anyway, as stated before, it was one game but I like the kid's speed and his grit.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
John Flyers Fan

I think he gets compared to Leetch because that's who he said his idol was growing up.

Unless the game changes again, he won't put up the offensive numbers that Leetch did.

At times Leetch was the best offensive defenseman in the NHL, I'm not sure Pitkanen will ever be the best offensively, but I do see him becoming a top 5 offensive NHL defenseman.

I don't think he shoots the puck like Leetch, but a very very good skater, passer, and stick handler.

One advantage he'll have over Leetch is that he will likely max out at 6'3 and 220 lbs.

Of the 20+ years I've been watching the Flyers he is far and away the 2nd best talent/young player I've seen begin his career with the Flyers.

Hopefully he comes closer to fufilling his potential than the other guy did.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
JR#9*

How the hell Tampa made this deal for a 3rd liner is truely one of the most mind boggling deals I've seen since becoming an avid hockey fan.

The kid has all the tools includng great size.He will be a great player for the Flyers unfortunately.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:57 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
How the hell Tampa made this deal for a 3rd liner is truely one of the most mind boggling deals I've seen since becoming an avid hockey fan.

The kid has all the tools includng great size.He will be a great player for the Flyers unfortunately.

They did get two 2nd round picks as well, but yes well worth it from a Flyers fans point of view.

I believe the thinking in Tampa was we need to make the playoff last year. Pitkanen wouldn't have helped in that regard, but Fedotenko, and Lukowich (they swapped one of the draft picks for him) did help them make the playoffs.

Short term it helped them, long term going to look like a major mistake.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Of the 20+ years I've been watching the Flyers he is far and away the 2nd best talent/young player I've seen begin his career with the Flyers.

Hopefully he comes closer to fufilling his potential than the other guy did.
OK, are you talking about Eric?

Closed Thread