HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 02:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Think this might be a good reason to use our 1st and 2nd(s) to draft all D-men then, considering our current core of young forwards? Also though, I seriously think we should look into getting Gill and Souray, even at the expense of Carle.
I want to be patient this year.

Giroux is a stud.
Couturier is a stud in the making.
vanRiemsdyk and Schenn have stud potential while at worst both will be solid.
Voracek, Read, and Simmonds are solid.

We have vets like Hartnell, Briere, and Talbot throughout the lineup for at least next season.

Akeson and Wellwood are doing well in the AHL.
Ranford and Cousins are tearing up the CHL.

Rinaldo, Sestito, Holmstrom, and Zolnierczyk make up all the energy line you could ever need.

That covers the offense pretty well.

I say we hope Florida gives us their second this year and go heavy on the blueline. Don't pull any punches in the draft this year. Use your draft picks in 2013 next year at the deadline. You'll already have the prospect pool, you'll already have the young core, and you'll already have some developing defensemen.

I mean, Bourdon and Gustafsson are alright. Manning, Lauridsen, and Kessel have some potential.

But hoping for top 4, let alone top pairing, out of anyone in that group other than Gustafsson is just wishful thinking.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:52 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbangboom View Post
Would it be totally impossible to get Oliver Ekman-Larsson?
I do not know to be honest every time hes brought up in the trade boards according to PHX fans we have to give up Schenn+ or Couturier. I really don't think he would cost that much though. They have a log jam on the blue line

Old
02-09-2012, 02:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I want to be patient this year.

Giroux is a stud.
Couturier is a stud in the making.
vanRiemsdyk and Schenn have stud potential while at worst both will be solid.
Voracek, Read, and Simmonds are solid.

We have vets like Hartnell, Briere, and Talbot throughout the lineup for at least next season.

Akeson and Wellwood are doing well in the AHL.
Ranford and Cousins are tearing up the CHL.

Rinaldo, Sestito, Holmstrom, and Zolnierczyk make up all the energy line you could ever need.

That covers the offense pretty well.

I say we hope Florida gives us their second this year and go heavy on the blueline. Don't pull any punches in the draft this year. Use your draft picks in 2013 next year at the deadline. You'll already have the prospect pool, you'll already have the young core, and you'll already have some developing defensemen.

I mean, Bourdon and Gustafsson are alright. Manning, Lauridsen, and Kessel have some potential.

But hoping for top 4, let alone top pairing, out of anyone in that group other than Gustafsson is just wishful thinking.
Are there any good d-men we can get with our first 3 picks (1st and 2 2nds)?

Old
02-09-2012, 03:00 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
This draft has a lot of potential #2s and #3s and #4s.

We can get three potential #2s with those picks honestly. This draft is heavy on solid defensemen.

All-around studs though are few and far between. If you're hoping for Weber or Doughty or EJ with our pick you're barking up the wrong tree.

Rehashes of Meszaros, Coburn, and Carle can all be had though if we do our research and make the right picks through the late first and second round.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:04 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I'd love big, physical D-men who are very good in their own end.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Honestly, I'd love big, physical D-men who are very good in their own end.
Dougie Hamilton?

I wish we could've had the 8th and 9th picks last year. I'd trade quite a lot to get Hamilton in our pool. 1st 2013 + 2nd 2013 + 2nd 2013 for starters.

Boston wouldn't ever listen though. Not a chance.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:16 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Dougie Hamilton?

I wish we could've had the 8th and 9th picks last year. I'd trade quite a lot to get Hamilton in our pool. 1st 2013 + 2nd 2013 + 2nd 2013 for starters.

Do you think Koekkoek would drop to us? Severson and Lindholm?

Seems to be pretty nicely built guys in the draft for D-men.

And since supposedly Flyers scouts were at the Ducks game, any chance in hell we could get Sbisa back?

Old
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Do you think Koekkoek would drop to us? Severson and Lindholm?

Seems to be pretty nicely built guys in the draft for D-men.

And since supposedly Flyers scouts were at the Ducks game, any chance in hell we could get Sbisa back?
Well there's so many that someone has to fall in theory.

If people are still trying to find that all-around guy, then we could see some players taken before Koekkoek who, if they don't reach their full potential, could become problematic NHLers because they don't possess a fall-back skill or trait that they could just get by in the NHL at. To be pretty good at everything and elite at nothing isn't always helpful.

I will say that Koekkoek is somebody in particular I like, but you have to keep in mind that at best he is probably a physical Coburn.

I also want to point out that it's possible to package picks to move up in the 1st if the Flyers see some defenseman they absolutely must have. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so to speak.

Some predictions are all over the map. Giving my predictions about who is available where we pick vs who might not be is a pointless endeavor.

I will say Lindholm could go a lot higher than people expect.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Dougie Hamilton?

Finn? Wilson? Thrower? Maatta? I like Koekkoek as well, I hope we can get 2 of these 5 (since Murray, Rielly, Dumba, Trouba are all pretty unlikely)

Old
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Finn? Wilson? Thrower? Maatta? I like Koekkoek as well, I hope we can get 2 of these 5 (since Murray, Rielly, Dumba, Trouba are all pretty unlikely)
I could see Rielly falling, honestly. To us? Probably not, but if we're interested, packaging 1st+ to move up is an option.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Dougie Hamilton?

I wanted him so bad last year. Until I saw Couturier actual play in the NHL I wasn't a huge fan of the move.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

I really need to see Dougie Hamilton play so I can judge that guy for myself. Not saying I'm a great scout or can tell ya everything about a player, but you see a lot from a player seeing him in live action. I here all this hype, but until I see him play that's all it will be.

Also would love the Flyers to get Dayton Thrower. What a name. Sounds like a man to me

Old
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wanted him so bad last year. Until I saw Couturier actual play in the NHL I wasn't a huge fan of the move.
Same here. I don't follow Junior Players at all so I was basing everything off of need at the NHL level. I wasn't particularly mad about Couturier, hearing how he was a potential steal with how he dropped; but I wanted that big physical D-man.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

How about Cody Franson, Toronto thinks that he is a better player then JVR? Am I crazy for thinking they are crazy? Beef was right, I should avoid all talks with the Toronto fans.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I really need to see Dougie Hamilton play so I can judge that guy for myself. Not saying I'm a great scout or can tell ya everything about a player, but you see a lot from a player seeing him in live action. I here all this hype, but until I see him play that's all it will be.
Hamilton's good, but he's going to need more seasoning, like all young D and esp. on a deep team like Boston.

Couturier will probably have 3 years of NHL experience before Dougie is likely to be a Bruin regular.

I remember the draft well. I was out and just came in as the Flyers were getting ready to pick. I could not believe my eyes that Couts had fallen to us.

Also, by some accounts via the WHL blogger, the Flyers had told Duncan Siemens they were going to take him - now I don't know if that was based on Hamilton already being gone or not, but it was just not in the cards for Dougie to be a Flyer.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Yes, but where we pick they are no better than a 4,5,or 6. Maybe if lucky a 3. Since they were listed in some recent mocks I have been reading up on them and with our 1st pick I would not mind Jordan Schmaltz. If he was still there in the second round Dalton Thrower would be a good addition. Brady Skjel is another possibility. But he is very soft and that is what we do not need on the backline. This team needs a true #1 and some balls. We are just way to soft for my liking on the back end.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
How about Cody Franson, Toronto thinks that he is a better player then JVR? Am I crazy for thinking they are crazy? Beef was right, I should avoid all talks with the Toronto fans.

You want a laugh? Go on the leafs site. They make it sound as if we are chasing after Luke. Plus what they want from us in order to land him. Now that is way to funny.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Luke Schenn looked pretty good tonight. Physical, and played a decent two way game. I don't want to move JVR, but maybe at the draft if we could acquire Schenn that would be awesome.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Luke Schenn looked pretty good tonight. Physical, and played a decent two way game. I don't want to move JVR, but maybe at the draft if we could acquire Schenn that would be awesome.
If it was a matter of draft picks, trading a 1st+ for Schenn would be the smartest move Holmgren could make.

Unfortunately, Burke has already been down that road. He's not in rebuild, he's in stocking mode. He wants players that can jump in and help now, just like us.

So, if you want Schenn, Burke is only looking for young forwards of similar, equal, or greater value. That brings Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, Voracek, Couturier, Schenn, Read, and Simmonds to the table. If this was a matter that prospects like Akeson, Wellwood, Ranford, Cousins, and 1sts could solve then Luke would already be in Philadelphia.

So...

Giroux = No.
vanRiemsdyk = No.
Voracek = No.
Couturier = No.
Schenn = No.
Read = Unlikely.
Simmonds = Maybe.

In that spirit, my two offers for Schenn are:

Simmonds + 2nd

or

1st + Cousins/Ranford

Neither makes Burke give up Schenn. Maybe if you offer Simmonds + 1st.

Remember getting Schenn is basically like using our 1st on a top 4 defenseman this draft only better because he's ready immediately.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Flyerfan4life

id do JVR strait up for schenn at this point.

but thats me.

im tired of watching the opposing players having a tailgate party in our crease.

grrrr. this softness has to end

oh and someone in the dressing room needs to ***** slap Coby in the face right before game time.

he needs to get into beastmode. right now hes more like the gentle giant. i think Simmonds is more physical then Coby right now

Old
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
thelos
Bunk

Grossman from Dallas could be a good option

Old
02-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
id do JVR strait up for schenn at this point.

but thats me.

im tired of watching the opposing players having a tailgate party in our crease.

grrrr. this softness has to end

oh and someone in the dressing room needs to ***** slap Coby in the face right before game time.

he needs to get into beastmode. right now hes more like the gentle giant. i think Simmonds is more physical then Coby right now
and what if there was an opportunity to trade 2nd fand a prospect for Grossman?
Ok not as good, will not throw over 160 body checks but at the same time will not cost us JVR.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Grossman from Dallas could be a good option
That's pretty much what I was hoping.

3rd + prospect or 2nd + prospect at the most.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
I wouldn't mind Grossman, Schenn, or Gill still. But I'd refuse to give up a roster spot. I think we could afford to acquire Gill and Grossman both without giving up a roster player or losing our 1st. Though I think a Phantom would have to be moved to open up a roster spot.

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Gill
Grossman - Meszaros
Gus

Old
02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Larry44

Quote:
If it was a matter of draft picks, trading a 1st+ for Schenn would be the smartest move Holmgren could make.

Unfortunately, Burke has already been down that road. He's not in rebuild, he's in stocking mode. He wants players that can jump in and help now, just like us.

So, if you want Schenn, Burke is only looking for young forwards of similar, equal, or greater value. That brings Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, Voracek, Couturier, Schenn, Read, and Simmonds to the table. If this was a matter that prospects like Akeson, Wellwood, Ranford, Cousins, and 1sts could solve then Luke would already be in Philadelphia.

So...

Giroux = No.
vanRiemsdyk = No.
Voracek = No.
Couturier = No.
Schenn = No.
Read = Unlikely.
Simmonds = Maybe.

In that spirit, my two offers for Schenn are:

Simmonds + 2nd

or

1st + Cousins/Ranford
Neither makes Burke give up Schenn. Maybe if you offer Simmonds + 1st.

Remember getting Schenn is basically like using our 1st on a top 4 defenseman this draft only better because he's ready immediately.
I'd have no problem with the 1st + Cousins/Ranford package, and maybe even add something Burke can use now, Harry Z a Toronto boy, if they give us another prospect back (Aulie, Scrivens, Rynnas?). I'm happy to add lots of pieces as long as we get value back.

I just don't want to give Burke the big winger he wants for Luke, since I want to keep JVR, Voracek and Simmonds, but maybe he could flip those assets to get the player he's looking for.

Closed Thread