HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
go_habs_go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Habs Prospects

Just something i have noticed.. everyone always says the Habs have awesome prospects in Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn but they arent that great right now.. why cant the Habs ever get like a Marek Svatos, Pavel Datsyuk, etc.
a rookie with an instant impact...well i guess Michael Ryder would go under that category

Old
01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Perezhogin was until he got taken off the first line. If he would've stayed on, who knows, could be top 5 in rookie scoring.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Live Forever

Who is Svatos playing with? Datsyuk playing? Who was Perez playing with on the 4th line?

Old
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Also, Pleks was playing great until he got hurt, Higgins hasn't really had a clear shot as he's been thrown mostly on the 4th line and not getting enough ice-time and finally, Kots looks good so far.

Again, comes down to opportunity and outside of Plekenec, the rest haven't had much of it lately.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go
why cant the Habs ever get like a Marek Svatos, Pavel Datsyuk, etc.
a rookie with an instant impact...well i guess Michael Ryder would go under that category
There you go...

Old
01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Just something i have noticed.. everyone always says the Habs have awesome prospects in Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn but they arent that great right now.. why cant the Habs ever get like a Marek Svatos, Pavel Datsyuk, etc.
I like when people answer their own questions...

My problems with the draft is not and will never be picks even after the 2nd round since everything after that is a total crapshoot.....Though certain teams seemed to be luckier than others....

Old
01-13-2006, 03:43 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
So you'd rather have Svatos instead of Perez, Higgins, Plek AND Kost.
I'm sure PL will accept that trade. I bet he wouldn't mind trading for one of our goalie prospect too.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Jo

The problem is the Habs mentality to give ice time to guy like Bonk, Sundstrom et cie while our young player get like 8-12 min of ice time.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:57 PM
blueberry

I think we have a tendancy to overrate our prospects. I think if you really look at our drafting its lousy, among the worst in the league. No matter how much we want them to succeed the truth is they're not that good. Higgins, perez kostitsyn et al no matter how much we believe otherwise probably won't amount to much. As long as the habs keep looking for that "big, character guy" at the expense of talent we'll never get anywhere. Too much politics!!! The habs have just turned into a horrible organization unfortunately. Ever since sam pollack left and they hired the bowling king grundman its been downhill. Its sad.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:59 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBell
The problem is the Habs mentality to give ice time to guy like Bonk, Sundstrom et cie while our young player get like 8-12 min of ice time.
Svatos only gets an average of 12 minutes of icetime this season (TSN showed this stat in the game vs Avs). Just makes his 26G that much more impressive...

Old
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Jo

you are right, but Svatos is having quality time on the PP!!!

Old
01-13-2006, 04:34 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Q. Have you noticed whether Svatos' defense is good or not?
What about Datsyuk, how well does he backcheck???

A. nobody cares, they're given all the margin they want. They're job is to produce and producing they do.
Perez would go on a breakaway, but would do a giveaway, the only thing Media, CJ and the message boards (we're like the 7th player out there) will notice is the frikkin giveaway and Perez will spend the rest of the game on the bench...

Old
01-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Coco Fever

Svatos does not have the pressure our rookies have...and I don't mean the 'media pressure', but the fact that here in MTL, rookies have to produce because our (supposedly) top players are not!

Old
01-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Turbo

Michael Ryder.

Last season. Immediate impact, 2nd place for the Calder.

Some develop fast when brought to the NHL (Ryder stayed in the AHL, ECHL for a while though), others take some time to get some confidence. Depends on who they play with as well - like others said, Detroit, Colorado have many great mentors for their young stars.

You only get one of these immediate impact rookies every once in a while. Let's be happy we got Ryder.

Taking a few years to develop the Markov, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsin is perfectly normal.

Last edited by Turbo: 01-13-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 04:58 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry
I think we have a tendancy to overrate our prospects. I think if you really look at our drafting its lousy, among the worst in the league. No matter how much we want them to succeed the truth is they're not that good. Higgins, perez kostitsyn et al no matter how much we believe otherwise probably won't amount to much. As long as the habs keep looking for that "big, character guy" at the expense of talent we'll never get anywhere. Too much politics!!! The habs have just turned into a horrible organization unfortunately. Ever since sam pollack left and they hired the bowling king grundman its been downhill. Its sad.
Welcome back from your coma. I see it affected your brain, you might want to do some research before blabbering on like this.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
TornACL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
Michael Ryder.

Some develop fast when brought to the NHL (Ryder stayed in the AHL, ECHL for a while though), others take some time to get some confidence. Depends on who they play with as well - like others said, Detroit, Colorado have many great mentors for their young stars.

You only get one of these immediate impact rookies every once in a while. Let's be happy we got Ryder.

Taking a few years to develop the Markov, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsin is perfectly normal.
That's it. Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Perezhogin are still young, is doesn't matter if they take a year or two to developp, they are also talented, but they are not elite players. Every players cannot be Crosbys or Ovechkins.

Old
01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Evil Ted

That svatos guy is a steal of a player, not only do his stats stand out, but he stands out when he plays, he can put people in seats, and he only plays 13 min a game... which means he probably plays on the 3rd or 4th and not with joe sakic and then gets some pp, so yea it would be nice if the habs could draft a player like that, but really its a crapshoot as far as how prospects pan out it seems....... sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont.... or.... some teams have good scouts some teams have bad scouts.. right?

Old
01-13-2006, 06:13 PM
RC51

concerning Perz and Kost
I dont presume to say I know better than Julien.
It just seems that Julien does not want to play rookies that are not ready for prime time. Has he no ice time to teach, if you play you had better play well.
But then again if Julien had Kovalchuck he would still be in the minors because that first year he was real bad defencivly so Julien would have benched him then sent him down.

Sometimes rookies have to play thier way to success.
You either believe your talent scouts or you dont.
The Habs scouts firmly believe in Perez and Kost so what is Julien's problem here. Maybe they should not play on the first line but 3rd or 4th?

Old
01-13-2006, 06:27 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
Michael Ryder.

It's ironic that the players that played with Ryder in his breakout year was Ribs and Dags

Old
01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
jcpenny

Habs defensive system kills offensive talents.

Old
01-13-2006, 07:17 PM
goalchenyuk

Svatos is going to have 24 years old in june
Perezhogin 23 in August
Kastistyn 21 next month .

Svatos is playing in the powerplay and was the liner of Pierre Turgeon( before he get injured ) . And like it or not , Turgeon is an exellent hockey player that is a better playmaker and scorer than Koivu or Ribeiro .

Old
01-13-2006, 07:42 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry
As long as the habs keep looking for that "big, character guy" at the expense of talent we'll never get anywhere.
So true. Oh wait, it's not 1997 any more. Never mind. The Vallis / Stevenson / Pederson / Bilodeau picks are a relic of the horrible-drafting 1990's. Montreal has done a wee bit better since '98, you might want to read up a bit.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey
It's ironic that the players that played with Ryder in his breakout year was Ribs and Dags
Very true, especially about Ribeiro. Ryder was hot right out of the gate and got tons of ice time with Ribs while Saku was nursing an early season injury (I think Ryder's play earned him 1st line ice time within 3 games into the season, and there was no turning back). Dags came a little later after Hossa was sent down.

Too bad the Ribeiro of that season seems gone...

Closed Thread