HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Nuclear SUV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaw97 View Post
As nice as those Metro Area and Market Size lists are, they reveal one other thing: Houston is ahead of Seattle on BOTH lists.

We should be next in line.
Houston is larger, but Seattle is close to Vancouver and Portland, which adds to the potential fan base. Plus Seattle is a better sports town than Houston, making it more likely the NHL would be a success. Look at the NBA Houston Rockets for example. Their attendance stinks and you want to add the NHL?

Old
02-10-2012, 02:41 PM
gstommylee

http://twitter.com/#!/BigEeezy09/sta...46216196784129

Quote:
So along with what @seatowndawgtown said, I have been told that the M's oppose arena...Seahawks do not
Another tweet regarding mariners looking like they'll fight the arena but Seahawks aren't against it. Of course these are not official statements from either team so take it with a grain of salt. But like i said i am not surprised if Mariners are officially against this.

So like i said it'll be a huge political battle who would win hard to say.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Houston is larger, but Seattle is close to Vancouver and Portland, which adds to the potential fan base. Plus Seattle is a better sports town than Houston, making it more likely the NHL would be a success. Look at the NBA Houston Rockets for example. Their attendance stinks and you want to add the NHL?
Outside of the NFL in some cases, attendance at most sporting events in the U.S. is dictated by success of the teams. Teams going through prolonged droughts in success like the Rockets and Astros, will usually have attendance issues. Not sure the NHL would have much impact on the NBA regardless. Americans, especially in this economy, aren't going to pay the prices these teams charge to watch constant losers.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
gstommylee

You know regardless of how this ends arena or no arena just watching politicians fighting among themselves is free entertainment.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
tank44

Here's a quick table I came up with to show the relations between sports league's seasons:
Code:
League	J	F	M	A	M	J	J	A	S	O	N 	D
MLB				X	X	X	X	X	X	P		
NFL	        P								X	X	X	X
MLS			X	X	X	X	X	X	X	X	P	
NHL	        X	X	X	P	P	P				X	X	X
NBA	        X	X	X	X	P	P					X	X
WHL	        X	X	P	P						X	X	X
NCAAFB									X	X	X	
NCAABB	X	X	P								X	X
X = regular season, P = post-season
MLB only overlaps with NHL/NBA in October or April-May-June and that is all pending post season entry & success. Out of any league I figure the MLS to be opposed since there area 2 more month of overlap.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
Here's a quick table I came up with to show the relations between sports league's seasons:
Code:
League	J	F	M	A	M	J	J	A	S	O	N 	D
MLB				X	X	X	X	X	X	P		
NFL	        P								X	X	X	X
MLS			X	X	X	X	X	X	X	X	P	
NHL	        X	X	X	P	P	P				X	X	X
NBA	        X	X	X	X	P	P					X	X
WHL	        X	X	P	P						X	X	X
NCAAFB									X	X	X	
NCAABB	X	X	P								X	X
X = regular season, P = post-season
MLB only overlaps with NHL/NBA in October or April-May-June and that is all pending post season entry & success. Out of any league I figure the MLS to be opposed since there area 2 more month of overlap.
The only way i see mariners are against it cause they fear competition that more fans would not go to games and go to NHL or NBA instead. They would not have a problem if they didn't have a crappy product on the field.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Nuclear SUV

The Mariners are dysfunctional. I am sure some members there are against the NHL and NBA while others are actually working to bring them here. I expect the Mariners to support the arena plan in the end. They stand to make $$ off their parking garage.

If the Mariners do come out against an arena, expect them to flip-flop and support it after a fan s--t storm. If the Mariners do come out against an arena, I am prepared to actively and openly boycott them and organize other Seattle area fans to do the same.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'll heed off the comment that will inevitably come (as it did twice in the last thread) about how wide-spread a Seattle team really would be...and I think you have it right in that they'll get a fair amount of interest in Western Montana, Idaho, & Oregon...all places that have no real rooting interest as things stand aside from transplants and people just attaching onto a random team. I'm sure Seattle has a decent amount of Canucks fans, but the further away you get from Vancouver the fewer fans there are in the northwest.

Speaking as someone who's been living in Western Montana for 5 years now...most people here identify with Seattle as their favorite 'big' city, and the Seattle teams all have a decent share of the fan base (from my experience the Seahawks are behind only the Steelers and Packers in NFL fans, the Mariners probably tops in baseball, and the Sonics were tied with the Blazers in NBA...though this state really couldn't care less about that sport in general). Putting a NHL team in Seattle would probably make them the most popular team in the league here with no real question...hockey is really only starting to build a footprint of the state (thanks in large part to the American West Hockey League and Northern Pacific Hockey League, both Tier III junior leagues (the current Seattle Totems are in this league), which have 8 teams in the state between them), but without any teams in the northwest the interest hasn't grown beyond the small-time junior hockey scene outside of transplants. There's a decent amount of Penguins and Red Wings fans here, as there's a lot of transplants here (me being one myself), and I know a lot of those fans would instantly grab onto Seattle as a secondary team.

The northwest is a barren market...the vast majority of the money that would be going into the team would be from the Seattle area, but they would become the northwest's team.

Wow, great information about what it looks like in Western Montana. In regards to Canucks fans in the Puget Sound region, They on occasion play canuck games over the radio in Seattle, so there must be some sort of market for that.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
tank44

As for the 4 hour rule between games, this is currently in place and a non factor. Sounders & Mariners play the same day quite often. there have been a few times where I have done a double-dip in one day with between games at the Pyramid brewery right across the street. However there was 1-2 times last year where the Sounders and Mariners overlapped. On Sept 17/2011, I went to the Ms game which started at 410pm and then to the Sounders game which started at 600pm. That is not 4 hours apart.

Other cities have their arenas & events in the same day - look at LA with the Lakers-Clippers-Kings situation. Toronto has the ACC (Leafs & Raptors) right by the Skydome (Jays & Argos). Vancouver has Rogers Arena & BC Place across the street from each other and often have had Lions & Canucks games at the same time.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
The Mariners are dysfunctional. I am sure some members there are against the NHL and NBA while others are actually working to bring them here. I expect the Mariners to support the arena plan in the end. They stand to make $$ off their parking garage.

If the Mariners do come out against an arena, expect them to flip-flop and support it after a fan s--t storm. If the Mariners do come out against an arena, I am prepared to actively and openly boycott them and organize other Seattle area fans to do the same.
Right now its unofficial reports state mariners are against it. But indeed there will be a backlash against the team if its true. But in the end it doesn't matter what the mariners think they are 1 group there could be additional other groups against it.

There could be a million other things go wrong and the arena not happen.

I just don't see why people are well uptight on anything rather it be politicians or some other groups.

This is still in negotiation stage and until it is revealed to the public we have no idea where anyone is gonna stand on it.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
As for the 4 hour rule between games, this is currently in place and a non factor. Sounders & Mariners play the same day quite often. there have been a few times where I have done a double-dip in one day with between games at the Pyramid brewery right across the street. However there was 1-2 times last year where the Sounders and Mariners overlapped. On Sept 17/2011, I went to the Ms game which started at 410pm and then to the Sounders game which started at 600pm. That is not 4 hours apart.

Other cities have their arenas & events in the same day - look at LA with the Lakers-Clippers-Kings situation. Toronto has the ACC (Leafs & Raptors) right by the Skydome (Jays & Argos). Vancouver has Rogers Arena & BC Place across the street from each other and often have had Lions & Canucks games at the same time.
I don't think traffic is the issue with the mariners. Its 2 more pro teams in seattle. It creates competition that my guess they do not like.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:13 PM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Wow, great information about what it looks like in Western Montana. In regards to Canucks fans in the Puget Sound region, They on occasion play canuck games over the radio in Seattle, so there must be some sort of market for that.
The Everett sports radio stations plays most Canucks games where KJR in Seattle only plays occasional games.

As for TV market, RootSports-NW which is the Seattle based sports network at present (formerly FSN-NW) has its broadcast area over all of Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho & most of Montana. That is a large area. Similarly, ComcastSN in Portland is only in Oregon & Washington

Old
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/BigEeezy09/sta...46216196784129

Another tweet regarding mariners looking like they'll fight the arena but Seahawks aren't against it. Of course these are not official statements from either team so take it with a grain of salt. But like i said i am not surprised if Mariners are officially against this.

So like i said it'll be a huge political battle who would win hard to say.

wtf, the Mariners can go F themselves

I posted this on the Softy Show Facebook page.

Last edited by superdeluxe: 02-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
The only way i see mariners are against it cause they fear competition that more fans would not go to games and go to NHL or NBA instead. They would not have a problem if they didn't have a crappy product on the field.
More compeitition for consumer's sports dollars, and I think Sponsorship dollars might have a cap as well

Old
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
wtf, the Mariners can go F themselves

I posted this on the Softy Show Facebook page.
Its an rumor doesn't mean its true. You have the link to where you posted it at cause i don't see it on there unless i am looking at the wrong facebook page.

Last edited by gstommylee: 02-10-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
More compeitition for consumer's sports dollars, and I think Sponsorship dollars might have a cap as well
Indeed. Which means better product on the field fighting for those dollars.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Its an rumor doesn't mean its true. You have the link to where you posted it at cause i don't see it on there unless i am looking at the wrong facebook page.
Yeah this is true, I just want to help 'nip' this in the bud by generating bad buzz before hand. I think the facebook page is blocked unless you are a 'friend' of the host. He is maxed out I think.

http://www.facebook.com/softymahler/posts/2563801384580

I also posted the link to this forum on the FB wall as well.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Indeed. Which means better product on the field fighting for those dollars.

Yup. Right now the M's only have to worry about the Seahawks for corporate dollars. They would actually have to put a winning team on the field if they had more pro teams fighting for those dollars

Old
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Yeah this is true, I just want to help 'nip' this in the bud by generating bad buzz before hand. I think the facebook page is blocked unless you are a 'friend' of the host. He is maxed out I think.

http://www.facebook.com/softymahler/posts/2563801384580

I also posted the link to this forum on the FB wall as well.
Yea your right i have to a friend.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Not sure about the competition - out of the 4 major sports, MLB has the least, in terms of when both the NHL and MLB are going at the same time.
The MLB has little overlap with the NHL.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
gstommylee

Question would mariners still if its true object to the arena if it was let say built in believe?

Old
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
Not sure about the competition - out of the 4 major sports, MLB has the least, in terms of when both the NHL and MLB are going at the same time.
The MLB has little overlap with the NHL.
Not really talking about overlap in regards to happening at the same time. More talking about that most families have a limited amount they can use on entertainment dollars.

lets say a family typically spends 1,000$ per year on entertainment. Lets say 500$ of that is on the M's. By adding NHL/NBA, it is very possible that the 500$ that would typically go to the M's, now maybe 300 goes to the M's and 200 goes to Hockey for the year.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Question would mariners still if its true object to the arena if it was let say built in believe?
Yes I think they would. More pro franchises for limited dollars. Not really sure how much power they would have to stop a Hansen though

Old
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not really talking about overlap in regards to happening at the same time. More talking about that most families have a limited amount they can use on entertainment dollars.

lets say a family typically spends 1,000$ per year on entertainment. Lets say 500$ of that is on the M's. By adding NHL/NBA, it is very possible that the 500$ that would typically go to the M's, now maybe 300 goes to the M's and 200 goes to Hockey for the year.
Not families - corporations.

Do they budget for M's season tickets (or ads or sponsorships or ...) or Metropolitans'.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Yes I think they would. More pro franchises for limited dollars. Not really sure how much power they would have to stop a Hansen though
Another thing i don't think it would hurt if there are a groups objecting to it if it ends up making the deal even better for the city. If no one is objecting then it could be a deal that could be bad for the city.

Closed Thread