HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If/When Markov returns, who protects him?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
  #1
Harry Wong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
If/When Markov returns, who protects him?

Hearing about Markov skating hard for 40 minutes is a very encouraging sign although no one wants to get ahead of themselves and assume yet he can come back from these two terrible injuries and surgeries. If anyone has ever suffered a serious orthopedic injury you would know that it will take a great deal of pychological and physical courage to not only skate again but to skate against the best, hardest and fastest players in the world.

Assuming that some teams may attempt to test Markovs' courage when he goes into the corners, I have no doubt that teams like the Bruins and Flyers will be very aggressive when playing Markov. Hesitancy and fear will not only encourage this type of behavior but may well predispose to further injury.

The big question is; how can management help Markov and who can we get that can play a reasonable game of defense and at the same time provide a strong physical deterent to any unacceptable runs at our General??

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  #2
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Hearing about Markov skating hard for 40 minutes is a very encouraging sign although no one wants to get ahead of themselves and assume yet he can come back from these two terrible injuries and surgeries. If anyone has ever suffered a serious orthopedic injury you would know that it will take a great deal of pychological and physical courage to not only skate again but to skate against the best, hardest and fastest players in the world.

Assuming that some teams may attempt to test Markovs' courage when he goes into the corners, I have no doubt that teams like the Bruins and Flyers will be very aggressive when playing Markov. Hesitancy and fear will not only encourage this type of behavior but may well predispose to further injury.

The big question is; how can management help Markov and who can we get that can play a reasonable game of defense and at the same time provide a strong physical deterent to any unacceptable runs at our General??
Subban. Pair him with Markov, tell him it's his job to make sure Markov can do what Markov can do. He'll be top 10 best fighter by end of the year.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
  #3
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
Gomez for sure. He can do it all

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
  #4
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 500
Ridiculous thread. You don't get a goon so your defenseman doesn't have to go into corners. He has to protect himself and get hit and hope his knee holds up. The last two plays that caused injury weren't exactly dirty, just clean hits that caught his knee funny.

Bigger point: Who the **** would make any forechecker decide not to hit a defenseman when going into the corner?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
  #5
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Emelin is a pretty likely candidate for Markov's partner this year if/when he's back.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
  #6
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Emelin is a pretty likely candidate for Markov's partner this year if/when he's back.
Emelin is much better on the left side

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
  #7
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,114
vCash: 500
Only Markov can protect Markov. By learning how to take a hit better, by waiting for his knee to be 100%, by training harder in the gym...

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
  #8
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Emelin is much better on the left side
Not nearly as much as previously. He's getting much better on the right. His adaptation is coming along, to the point he can carry Kaberle as the 2 LD right now, albeit not that well for a 2nd pairing.

Also he's the best suited to playing top 4 minutes of the defenders after Subban, Gorges and Markov in the depth chart.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
  #9
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Assuming that some teams may attempt to test Markovs' courage when he goes into the corners, I have no doubt that teams like the Bruins and Flyers will be very aggressive when playing Markov. Hesitancy and fear will not only encourage this type of behavior but may well predispose to further injury.

The big question is; how can management help Markov and who can we get that can play a reasonable game of defense and at the same time provide a strong physical deterent to any unacceptable runs at our General??
Can you point me towards some Bruins or Flyers games where the likes of Lucic or Hartnell stopped forechecking defenders in the corners because they were physically intimidated. Thanks.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
  #10
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Not sure he will ever be the same player again. This guy will not be the Markov we are used to, and people think his impact will be greater then it will actually be

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:34 PM
  #11
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
IMO the reason it is so important for Markov to come back and get alteast 10 games in this season is to let him take a few hits, and stuff.

And you know what, I love Markov, but if his knee blows out again, I rather have it at the end of this season, so we can use his 5.75 cap hit on something knowing he will be on the LTIR.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
  #12
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Not sure he will ever be the same player again. This guy will not be the Markov we are used to, and people think his impact will be greater then it will actually be
When he got hurt, he was top 7-10 D-men in the league, even if he comes back and is a top 15-20, that is still a very very good d-men you are adding to the line-up.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
  #13
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
Rorschach.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
  #14
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Not nearly as much as previously. He's getting much better on the right. His adaptation is coming along, to the point he can carry Kaberle as the 2 LD right now, albeit not that well for a 2nd pairing.

Also he's the best suited to playing top 4 minutes of the defenders after Subban, Gorges and Markov in the depth chart.
Exactly, Emelin can play RD, its just that early on in the season he was having a problem with positioning in generally whether it was on LD or RD.

I love would MTL to sign someone like Grossman, or Jackman if they hit July 1st, and roll 3 good D-pairings.

Markov-Emelin
Grossman/Jackman-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges

If healthy that looks like a solid D to me, 1 thru 6

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
  #15
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Only Markov can protect Markov. By learning how to take a hit better, by waiting for his knee to be 100%, by training harder in the gym...
The only thing that can kill Barnes is BARNES!

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
  #16
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
When he got hurt, he was top 7-10 D-men in the league, even if he comes back and is a top 15-20, that is still a very very good d-men you are adding to the line-up.
Not sure he will be that good, remember his knees got blown out twice

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
  #17
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
When he got hurt, he was top 7-10 D-men in the league, even if he comes back and is a top 15-20, that is still a very very good d-men you are adding to the line-up.
Not sure we can expect that much, even if he's physically fine it's been so long that he just might not be able to read the game the same way.

He's such a smart player that I think he can find ways to be effective as long as he's physically capable to but I really don't know what to expect of him at this point.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:49 PM
  #18
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Exactly, Emelin can play RD, its just that early on in the season he was having a problem with positioning in generally whether it was on LD or RD.

I love would MTL to sign someone like Grossman, or Jackman if they hit July 1st, and roll 3 good D-pairings.

Markov-Emelin
Grossman/Jackman-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges

If healthy that looks like a solid D to me, 1 thru 6
The real gem of a potential UFA out there is Jay Garrison from the Panthers. He's been anchoring their blueline over the past two years but not many people have noticed because he plays in Florida. If a smart GM picks him up for 3.5-4 million (i.e. Gorges money) this summer they've probably made a great move. I'd be really happy to get him to fill out the top 4 for now and the future.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
  #19
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 500
No one.

The Bruins will be sure to run him every chance they get. So will any other team with a smart coach.

Open season on Andrei.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
  #20
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Not sure we can expect that much, even if he's physically fine it's been so long that he just might not be able to read the game the same way.

He's such a smart player that I think he can find ways to be effective as long as he's physically capable to but I really don't know what to expect of him at this point.
Very true, that is why it is so important for him to get atleast 10-15 games in this season. We can atleast get a small idea of where he is at. Even if he is half of what he was, that would still be very good.

Even for himself to mental know that he can still play, instead of worrying all summer about if he can take a hit or not.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
  #21
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The real gem of a potential UFA out there is Jay Garrison from the Panthers. He's been anchoring their blueline over the past two years but not many people have noticed because he plays in Florida. If a smart GM picks him up for 3.5-4 million (i.e. Gorges money) this summer they've probably made a great move. I'd be really happy to get him to fill out the top 4 for now and the future.

Agree, guy is playing over 20+ minutes, solid both ends, but what worries me is, some teams might overpay because of his goal scoring, and if that is the case, I rather get a stay at home d-men for cheaper. But ya your right, Garrison would be amazing at 3-4M.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
  #22
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,840
vCash: 93
when markov comes back every time i see him battle for the puck i will get really nervous

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
  #23
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
The only thing that can kill Barnes is BARNES!
Great movie.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
  #24
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
The problem with Markov is that he cannot take a hit. All the hits that injured him were clean including the one that injured his back. The guy turns awkwardly every time he's checked in the boards. No enforcer will be able to protect him against clean hit. In my mind, someone needs to teach him how to react to a hit. Gorges maybe cause he gets nailed hard all the time and always rebounds.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
  #25
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 356
I am sensing the return of BGL in the not-so-distant future.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.