HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Making Positive Strides

Old
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Isles Making Positive Strides

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ides-1.3515259

Frans Nielsen didn't find out about his four-year, $11 million contract until after he took the ice in Philadelphia on Tuesday night, but it was just what he wanted to hear.
"When we started talking [before the season began], I knew this is where I wanted to be," Nielsen said after his shootout goal proved to be the winner in the Islanders' 1-0 win over the Flyers. "I want to be here when the good things start happening."
For the Islanders (22-22-8), who are 7-3-1 in their last 11 and currently sit in 11th place in the East (nine points out of a playoff spot), the good times seem closer than at any point in the last couple of seasons.

02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
peter021

Yay? This team should have been over .500 this year. I don't care about end of season surges when the first half of the season was a washout.

Put together a team that puts together a consistently strong season. I'd done settling for anything less.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:30 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
It sounds like Nabokov has found it nicer on LI then expected and a more competitive team then expected.I wonder if Snow can't get Nabokov to sign a 1-2 yr extension?

I wonder what Parenteau is asking for? The aticle says Parenteau and the isles are not close to agreeing
on an extension. I can understand Parenteau looking to cash in on a huge deal. This will be his first big nhl payday , after toiling for yrs in the AHL.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post
Yay? This team should have been over .500 this year. I don't care about end of season surges when the first half of the season was a washout.

Put together a team that puts together a consistently strong season. I'd done settling for anything less.
So you don't care about a end of the season surge that puts the team into the playoffs? This team is set up prefectly right now to make a run and people still find ways to complain.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
So you don't care about a end of the season surge that puts the team into the playoffs? This team is set up prefectly right now to make a run and people still find ways to complain.
But it really is frustrating when you think about it. Every year this team goes on an epic losing streak that ends up killing the season. Enough already. If they had even won 2 games during that horrendous streak early in the season, they would be 5 points out now instead of 9. Huge difference. At 9 points, they still need a TON of help to get in. How about just once... they don't put themselves in such a position in the first place?

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
But it really is frustrating when you think about it. Every year this team goes on an epic losing streak that ends up killing the season. Enough already. If they had even won 2 games during that horrendous streak early in the season, they would be 5 points out now instead of 9. Huge difference. At 9 points, they still need a TON of help to get in. How about just once... they don't put themselves in such a position in the first place?
Would it make you feel any better if we said 9 points with 4 games in hand on 8th place ottawa while only 7 pts behind Florida in 9th even up on games? Trying to be half full here and putting on a positive outlook. Trying, trying very hard.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
I get what you're saying and I partly agree. However the long losing streak from last season was much longer and more devastating overall, this season it was still very bad but they managed to make it only half as long. This is a young team, they need to learn to win on a consistent basis, and I think the longer they are together the better they will get at that. I'm not too concerned overall, I told myself before this season that I would be happy with a 10th place finish and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that. Playoffs would just be a bonus.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Very true and I somewhat agree. They are still a young team learning to play at a more consistent level, which would defiantly help a lot. But to be in a position to have even a slight chance of the playoffs after a rough start to the year shows improvment.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I get what you're saying and I partly agree. However the long losing streak from last season was much longer and more devastating overall, this season it was still very bad but they managed to make it only half as long. This is a young team, they need to learn to win on a consistent basis, and I think the longer they are together the better they will get at that. I'm not too concerned overall, I told myself before this season that I would be happy with a 10th place finish and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that. Playoffs would just be a bonus.
This is where I see them finishing. Maybe even 9th. Not a horrible improvement at all. But next year... no excuses.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Islander Prophet

I think this is the last season for a hell of a long while that we're MAYBE gonna miss the playoffs (because, yes I still think we have a chance at making them this year)

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I think this is the last season for a hell of a long while that we're MAYBE gonna miss the playoffs (because, yes I still think we have a chance at making them this year)
agreed.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

sorry but this rinse and repeat wont work for me this time.. We were all excited about the way they ended last season and everyone was pumped for the puck to drop in October only to be on a suicide hotline by November. I look at Columbus and all the money they spent and I cant fault the owners for atleast making an effort. I never bashed the Rangers for buying players. Hell its not my money and I cant blame them for wanting to entice fans to come to the games.

If management spent just maybe spent money more wisely and not on Brian Rolston then we wouldnt be in the dumps

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Islanders1932

If the Islanders really want to make positive strides they need to get their goal differential down a lot more right now they are a -26. If they can get that down to below a -10 I will consider this season a huge success.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:47 AM
NYI JT91

Id love to see Nabokov sign on for another year or two. Hes definitly still got it. If we plan on keeping him though it will be at far more then he made this year! Id like to see snow offer him a 3 year 10 million contract. If we could hang on to him once he starts to age and cant pull off the starter position he could still be a strong back up for another year or two afterwards. Doubt he will stay and I dont blame him. He wants to win...If he was younger we could probably convince him to stick around as we are progressing in the rebuild.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
lorwood

Quote:
If they do not sign Nobokov they will be in the same exact position they are in now (if not worse) come February 2013.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:56 PM
peter021

I'm not complaining, I'm just indifferent at this point to be honest. I've been an Islander fan since 1977. The last several attempts to build this team have just not panned out and some have been laughable. Plenty of reasons why and many are legitimate, but my patience with rebuilding has run out with what seems like another lost season.

I'm glad the team is playing well, but what I'm saying is I want a team that is surging for a top seed in the conference or, dare we dream, the top spot overall in the conference, not hoping for 8th. After 18 years of relative futility... 18 years! I don't think it's too much to hope.

How long has Garth been GM now? This is about the time you hope to see the rebuilding plan taking effect and I just don't see enough talent. JT is a beast. Beyond him, I just don't see the next Stanley Cup contender.

Just my opinion.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you posted that BEFORE those 4 games last night that all went against the Isles.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
peter021

Quote:
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you posted that BEFORE those 4 games last night that all went against the Isles.
Thank you. This has been my point since all this playoff push talk started up. Yes, they've played better as of late and that's great. But there are other teams in the mix that directly affect the team's fate which is why it's going to be near-impossible to sneak in. Losing games to the Canadiens and the OT loss to Buffalo don't help either, and sadly, this team is still good for these type losses at bad times.