HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Not families - corporations.

Do they budget for M's season tickets (or ads or sponsorships or ...) or Metropolitans'.
Perhaps a concession could be made between the 3 parties where mariners would be happy with?

Old
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Not families - corporations.

Do they budget for M's season tickets (or ads or sponsorships or ...) or Metropolitans'.
Well that too, I think it both applies. My brother has season tickets to the Mariners that he gives to clients. But his true heart is with Hockey (He has season tickets to the Thunderbirds). Imagine if they get a NHL franchise, my brother would most likely take those dollars from the M's to the new NHL franchise. So for corporations, this would be those discussions. (And also Ad dollars. You only have a certain budget).

Old
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
gstommylee

I think mariners may have little saying power. I mean they had their stadium built with public tax payers money and they are objecting to someone using their own money. They may have more saying power if it was the opposite where mariners built it with their own money and Hansen is asking for public money.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
gstommylee

okay just saw this over at sonicscentral.org

Brian Robinson who is from Arenasolutions.org mentions: " The Mariners are in fact going to oppose this one due to concerns over parking. I highly doubt that they will make a public statement but they may be the largest obstacle to this getting done. "

So its a parking issue more as well as a competition issue which i can understand why if there is less parking that may draw people away that would normally would be going to the games.

Perhaps another parking garage could be built?

Last edited by gstommylee: 02-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post

Brian Robinson who is from Arenasolutions.org mentions: " The Mariners are in fact going to oppose this one due to concerns over parking. I highly doubt that they will make a public statement but they may be the largest obstacle to this getting done. "

So its a parking issue more than competition which i can understand why if there is less parking that may draw people away that would normally would be going to the games.

Brian is a GREAT guy, Was really passtionate in the 'Save our Sonics' movement that I helped out with.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

So its a parking issue more as well as a competition issue which i can understand why if there is less parking that may draw people away that would normally would be going to the games.

Where do you see this? Need a link!

ETA: Oh in the comments. Thanks!

Old
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Where do you see this? Need a link!
http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=2109#comment-1103999

Quote:
Brian is a GREAT guy, Was really passtionate in the 'Save our Sonics' movement that I helped out with.
Yea i have great respects to him. I'm still hoping that an arena gets done to matter how offended the mariners are.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

And to think Enemy Number one was going to be the City of Seattle. Wow.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
gstommylee

if people want to voice their disapproval to the mariners and please be professional.

https://secure.mlb.com/help/email.jsp?c ... rs.mlb.com

Old
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
And to think Enemy Number one was going to be the City of Seattle. Wow.
Mariners are just 1 of many groups that would be against this. The arena plan could still not happen for various of other reasons besides the mariners.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:10 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Mariners are just 1 of many groups that would be against this. The arena plan could still not happen for various of other reasons besides the mariners.
True, I was just going on Brian's comment about how the M's would be the biggest obstacle.

What irritates me is that someone reminded me the M's got public funding for the stadium

Old
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
True, I was just going on Brian's comment about how the M's would be the biggest obstacle.

What irritates me is that someone reminded me the M's got public funding for the stadium
Its better for the concerns brought up NOW that way they can get easily be addressed. Its more complex then 2 sides coming to an agreement on a building plan and funding. There are other stuff that goes on in that process.

Last edited by gstommylee: 02-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Re: Mariners objecting over parking issues..How many overlapping games would there be? Roughly 16 games if the NHL team had home ice advantage throughout the playoffs and went to game 7 in all series?

Seems like posturing on the Mariners part.

Is there much room around the area to build another parking garage? If so, problem solved.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Re: Mariners objecting over parking issues..How many overlapping games would there be? Roughly 16 games if the NHL team had home ice advantage throughout the playoffs and went to game 7 in all series?

Is there much room around the area to build another parking garage? If so, problem solved.
April through June is when there is the overlap of MLS, NBA, NHL and MLB.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

Its better for them to object now instead of coming up at the 11th hour right when the vote is going to happen killing the whole process.

If other stuff needs to be drawn out now is the time.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

No Space for a parking garage I don't believe, its just barely we can fit in another arena.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
No Space for a parking garage I don't believe, its just barely we can fit in another arena.
It is still something that they can look at. The parking garage doesn't need to be in Seattle. One place where it would be perfect is Tukwilla light rail station. Then just get encourage people to use the light rail to get to the stadium that will both solve traffic issue and parking issue.

They want to expand light rail they can adjust the light rail plans to include a parking garage.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
http://deadspin.com/5884184/

Interview with Mayor of Seattle.

Quote:
Whether there would need to be a hockey team as well as a NBA team in order to make the deal work:

"My understanding is that they're interested in both, and that that's an important consideration to them."

Old
02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Nuts to that, I love it. I've been keeping up with it but a lot of users don't (trying to find specific things in the other threads is often like trying to find a needle in a haystack).
I simply meant that he was repeating a lot from the OP in the previous thread. But ok, I see your point too.

Old
02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
tank44

I think the parking is BS... It's the polite way to talk about lost revenue due to competition. Where the sodo arena is being proposed is mostly warehouses and some parking. For game days I would expect that maybe 100 cars max is in that area. This is also BS since Safeco run the biggest parking garage in the area and they are going to complain about having more dates for people to park in their garage?? wtf..

Changing to the Bellevue option will be worse for traffic and associated costs. Seattle city council will look even worse since they ran out of the city that much lost revenue.

I currently have Seahawks & Huskies football season tickets and go to 1-2 Ms game a month and a few sounders, Silvertips & T-bids games a year locally. With NHL coming in I will probably get a 1/4 season plan for the NHL, keep my Seahawks tickets but reduce the others significantly. 1 UW, MLS, Tips & T-birds game per year and maybe only 2-4 Ms games a year.

Old
02-10-2012, 06:42 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
I think the parking is BS... It's the polite way to talk about lost revenue due to competition. Where the sodo arena is being proposed is mostly warehouses and some parking. For game days I would expect that maybe 100 cars max is in that area. This is also BS since Safeco run the biggest parking garage in the area and they are going to complain about having more dates for people to park in their garage?? wtf..

Changing to the Bellevue option will be worse for traffic and associated costs. Seattle city council will look even worse since they ran out of the city that much lost revenue.

I currently have Seahawks & Huskies football season tickets and go to 1-2 Ms game a month and a few sounders, Silvertips & T-bids games a year locally. With NHL coming in I will probably get a 1/4 season plan for the NHL, keep my Seahawks tickets but reduce the others significantly. 1 UW, MLS, Tips & T-birds game per year and maybe only 2-4 Ms games a year.
The parking issue is still a legit concern no matter who is bringing up that concern. Bs issue or not. Small concerns do stack. Get enough of them and it'll affect which direction the council goes.

Perhaps its already been addressed as part of the arena plan.

Old
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post

It's about competition, they were probably shocked that the Sounders took their "territory" away (or some of it) like they did and will come up with a lame excuse to try to squash competition.
The freaking Blazers threatened the same thing against the Timbers in 2009. Just pitiful.
When I lived in Minneapolis/St Paul., the Twins, didn't complain for threaten legal action against the Timberwolves in 1989 and from I know (left before this) they didn't do that against the Wild either.
If the Mariners stall and/or have something to do with any negative aspect with the Arena project, where it gets to the point of killing it, I will burn my hat and jersey.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It's about competition, they were probably shocked that the Sounders took their "territory" away (or some of it) like they did and will come up with a lame excuse to try to squash competition.
The freaking Blazers threatened the same thing against the Timbers in 2009. Just pitiful.
When I lived in Minneapolis/St Paul., the Twins, didn't complain for threaten legal action against the Timberwolves in 1989 and from I know (left before this) they didn't do that against the Wild either.
If the Mariners stall and/or have something to do with any negative aspect with the Arena project, where it gets to the point of killing it, I will burn my hat and jersey.
You guys are going thrue what we had to go thrue at the beginning of our arena project. You are still a long way from the project being official. But i am sure you will get it done in the next few years.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
And there are a lot of other reason that the arena doesn't happen. I just don't find it right to put all the blame on the mariners if we don't get a new arena in Seattle. If you want to point fingers point them at the City council if this doesn't happen.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Patofqc

Here a interesting audio about the Phoenix/Quebec/Seattle situation. http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/ ... play the friday, 6PM section of the radio show

Closed Thread