HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rene Bourque OR Michael Cammalleri?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather be on the Habs?
Rene Bourque 219 81.72%
Michael Cammalleri 49 18.28%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yup, he WAS... just like Gomez was OK two seasons ago both in reg season and PO...
Gomez hasn't had a comparable season to Cammalleri's year in Calgary since 05-06. He's largely proven he's a garbage player by now.

Cammalleri still had monster playoffs in 2010 and good playoffs last year.

I'm not arguing Cammalleri shouldn't have been traded. But if people are genuinely happy to get Bourque after what we've seen so far when there's a huge market for top 6 forwards that's going to go wild in a few weeks, well...

Ayayaye.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Players who aren't scrubs signed for 4 more years?

The Gomez deal just shows when the right team comes along, you can get gold for garbage that was considered gold a while ago. Cammalleri also has only 2 more years left, not 5.

If you had the option of getting Bourque or McDonagh for Cammy, which one would you take? Because it's not out of the question that's the type of return we could've gotten out of a team at the deadline.
When we dealt Cammy we weren't sellers, and I blame Goat for his lack of foresight. Aparently we were after Bourque for a while too...

Whatever, I like Bourque, so I won't trash him. It's definitely not a deal that helps us tank though.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Gomez hasn't had a comparable season to Cammalleri's year in Calgary since 05-06. He's largely proven he's a garbage player by now.

Cammalleri still had monster playoffs in 2010 and good playoffs last year.

I'm not arguing Cammalleri shouldn't have been traded. But if people are genuinely happy to get Bourque after what we've seen so far when there's a huge market for top 6 forwards that's going to go wild in a few weeks, well...

Ayayaye.

well, Cammy himself didnt have a season like he had there when he was with us either...

No, it's not Bourque, it's Bourque + a prospect + a 2nd + 3 Mil in cap space...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
well, Cammy himself didnt have a season like he had there when he was with us either...
The playoff record probably talks alot more to the buyers than his stats in the regular season here. There's also this perception we're an easy team to play against, no elite talent up front and whatnot, so a GM who thinks he's got that 08-09 season in him would probably think in a better shaped team he'd milk out a lot more production.

Quote:
No, it's not Bourque, it's Bourque + a prospect + a 2nd + 3 Mil in cap space...
Bourque is the centerpiece. That second and Holland is decent value, but the rest is pretty much a sideways move with the potential to go south on us. Right now people are gloating and happy to see Cammy not do well, but he's playing with guys like Blair Jones and Krys Kolanos.

Bourque's playing 18+ minutes and has shown very little reason to keep him in a top 6 role. The 3M$ in cap space is actually not true, since we got 2 more years of the 3M$. I'd rather bite the 6M$ bullet than having 2 more years of Bourque.

Like I said, Bourque just isn't a very good player if we're looking for offense or grit.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
The playoff record probably talks alot more to the buyers than his stats in the regular season here. There's also this perception we're an easy team to play against, no elite talent up front and whatnot, so a GM who thinks he's got that 08-09 season in him would probably think in a better shaped team he'd milk out a lot more production.

Bourque is the centerpiece. That second and Holland is decent value, but the rest is pretty much a sideways move with the potential to go south on us. Right now people are gloating and happy to see Cammy not do well, but he's playing with guys like Blair Jones and Krys Kolanos.

Bourque's playing 18+ minutes and has shown very little reason to keep him in a top 6 role. The 3M$ in cap space is actually not true, since we got 2 more years of the 3M$. I'd rather bite the 6M$ bullet than having 2 more years of Bourque.

Like I said, Bourque just isn't a very good player if we're looking for offense or grit.
true, but the only teams willing to take him need 6Mil in cap space for the next two years (a very few can afford this among contenders)... considering how well he's playing AND the fact he makes 7 in actual salary the next two years ANd that he seems to be a "cancer" leads me to believe there isnt many teams willing to trade for him at a decent price (better than what we've got in return)

Wrong, we traded a 5th rounder and a goalie who was guaranteed to never play for us and we turned this into a 2nd and a prospect...

Well, 6 and 7 Mil players manage to get decent numbers with players like this, Cammy doesnt...

actually it is, you can look at it any way you want but FACT is one will be in the 3MIl next season while the other will be at 6 Mil...

Old
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
true, but the only teams willing to take him need 6Mil in cap space for the next two years (a very few can afford this among contenders)... considering how well he's playing AND the fact he makes 7 in actual salary the next two years ANd that he seems to be a "cancer" leads me to believe there isnt many teams willing to trade for him at a decent price (better than what we've got in return)
This seems to be an argument on opinions, so I think we've pretty much covered all bases on it.

Quote:
Wrong, we traded a 5th rounder and a goalie who was guaranteed to never play for us and we turned this into a 2nd and a prospect...
I meant that Cammalleri very much has the potential to outplay Bourque. I don't think the opposite will ever happen.

Quote:
Well, 6 and 7 Mil players manage to get decent numbers with players like this, Cammy doesnt...
I very much doubt that. A career AHLer and a bottom line player/AHLer.

Quote:
actually it is, you can look at it any way you want but FACT is one will be in the 3MIl next season while the other will be at 6 Mil...
I'll take the cap hit over the term, that's my argument.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
This seems to be an argument on opinions, so I think we've pretty much covered all bases on it.

I meant that Cammalleri very much has the potential to outplay Bourque. I don't think the opposite will ever happen.

I very much doubt that. A career AHLer and a bottom line player/AHLer.

I'll take the cap hit over the term, that's my argument.
well, 3 Mil saved, Gomez sent down and you suddenly have 10 Mil to spend...

and at 2.5 (actual salary) including a guy like Bourque as a slary dump in a trade is no problem, is it actually the kind of players and salary that are used as "salary matching" in trades.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRuckus View Post
Yeah, for the same # of pts I'm pretty happy with the much tougher, more fun to watch Bourque, 2nd rounder and Patrick Holland

Cammy is going to be great in all 5 of Calgary's playoff games, if they even make it there
you know what? For some people, 5 playoffs games is better than 0.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

This move and the inevitable gomez burying will allow us to not only sign Price, Subban, Eller and maybe Akost but we can also be active in pursuing free agents. I don't think we would have gotten a much better deal, nobody valued Cammalleri as much as Calgary.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Along with his new baby, Cammy may have lost 'it'

RB could NEVER lead the NHL in playoff points after 2 rounds.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Miller Time

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...229/story.html

where have i heard this before?

I actually thought he'd go on a bit of tear pretty quickly in Calgary, and i still think he'll manage to go on some sort of hot streak this year... but inevitably, the honeymoon in Calgary is going to end at some point, and then when the reality of his 6M$ cap hit sinks in, flames fans & management is going to start feeling some serious buyers remorse.

by the 2013 draft, i'm betting we'll be hearing some serious anger over that 2nd round pick

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
durojean

Cammalleri will make 80 points next year... At least I think... When that happens, everyone that was praising the move will then bash gauthier for exactly that.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Cammalleri will make 80 points next year... At least I think... When that happens, everyone that was praising the move will then bash gauthier for exactly that.
based on what ?

Old
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
based on what ?
He meant make 80 points disappear.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Useless 5 on 5

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
I like Bourque, he hits and goes hard to the net. I think when White comes back they would be good together.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
LastRide

Bourque is a good player. He needs better linemates. He's great in corners where we are lacking. I have no doubt this guy can score 30 if he is put in the right situation.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
No chance...the guy is scared of his shadow, so 5 vs 5 production is almost a wash...he will still get his PP goals though...the flames will be lucky to get 50 pts out of little Mike...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Are you sure?

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
znk

Quote:
Magic? I mean I went and read what they were saying on the calgaryPuck forum. He's just as horrible with them as he was here. They were already complaining about him dragging down Iginla.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:09 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Magic? I mean I went and read what they were saying on the calgaryPuck forum. He's just as horrible with them as he was here. They were already complaining about him dragging down Iginla.

Awful 5 on 5 and is only useful when he is on the powerplay standing still waiting to shoot.
Cammalleri is a 6 million dollar version of MA Bergeron.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Having seen some of NHL.com's highlight vids of Bourque's goals, he seems to score most of them off rebounds and in close range around the net. He's got a blazing shootout shot, and no goalie would want him to take a slapper from the half-circle.

Cammalleri has a superior shot, but his recent goals also relied on being in close proximity to the goal and having a guy feeding him well or being on transition. He does more one-timers than rebound pots though.

Bourque provides much more of what we need. More won puck battles and more willingness to go the the dirty areas...all at a much cheaper price. Not to mention a little more two-way help.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Now 6-4-1 with Bourque in the lineup.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote: