HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was - Van

Old
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Was - Van

This would be a trade at the draft/offseason.

Van

Mike Green

Was

Cory Schneider

Van 2nd

Currently Green is injured and therefore it would make no sense for Van to pick him up now. Washington's goaltending dual has not been as good as everyone expected. Vokoun is 35 now and is not a long term solution. Neuvirth has been disappointing with 0.893 save% this year. Washington could trade Neuvirth or Holtby for additional assets. This would help solidify Capitals goaltending longterm. Capitals have Alzner and Carlsson already for the longterm.

Green is right handed defence man that would fit in nicely. Canucks want another right handed dman. Green would be considered a risk with his injury history, but also has huge upside.

Both Green and Schneider are RFA at the end of the season, seems fitting in a way for a trade like this.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Van

Mike Green

Was

Cory Schneider

Van 2nd

Currently Green is injured and therefore it would make no sense for Van to pick him up now. Washington's goaltending dual has not been as good as everyone expected. Vokoun is 35 now and is not a long term solution. Neuvirth has been disappointing with 0.893 save% this year. Washington could trade Neuvirth or Holtby for additional assets. This would help solidify Capitals goaltending longterm. Capitals have Alzner and Carlsson already for the longterm.

Green is right handed defence man that would fit in nicely. Canucks want another right handed dman. Green would be considered a risk with his injury history, but also has huge upside.

Both Green and Schneider are RFA at the end of the season, seems fitting in a way for a trade like this.
Value's probably close, I just dont see Green as a fit.

This guy cannot defend. Ehrhoff was jettisoned because he lacked the ability to defend as well.

I think the Canucks would rather try and get somebody who isn't making as much, or is a much better two way defender.

John Carlson is exactly what the Canucks need.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Van

Mike Green

Was

Cory Schneider

Van 2nd

I think if there was a sign-and-trade (health prospects pending), I'd want Green on the team for around what he's making (5.25). The guy is immensely talented as a puck mover, he's a righty and he can shoot. Sign him to a two year, 10.5 million dollar deal? That's great for the Canucks, and fair value for Schneider.

I like it, OP.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

I'd do it. Not sure if WSH does. Ballard's contract would have to be moved though.

Edler-Green
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Tanev-Salo

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
I'd do it. Not sure if WSH does. Ballard's contract would have to be moved though.

Edler-Green
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Tanev-Salo
But now we have too many RH shots .... LOL

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
NeilYoung

People still think Green is bad defensively? He's above average, he hasn't been bad defensively for awhile.

What does Schneider really do for the caps anyways? They already have Neuvirth and Holtby, and they could always re-sign Vokoun if they want.

Useless Proposal

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

We don't need a goalie, and Mike Green is an elite defenseman.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

No real advantage for the Caps to do this. We're fine with Vokoun in the short term and Neuvirth/Holtby/Grubauer long term. One off year doesn't mean to change the plan in that regard. Certainly when the cost of changing the plan is Mike Green.

Also, Mike Green is superior to Carlson in the defensive zone. It's not even that close.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
No thanks.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Spice Trader

No offence you need a goalie.. The stats the last few years dont lie.. Last year it was (we have varlamov) how did that work out?

I like green alot when he plays but his injury is scary cause its the same one over and over and over.. that groin is probably spagetti now.

He WAS elite.. not he is damaged goods. Still a great player when he can play but nobody wants 5 mill for 30 - 60 games.. you want D men you can count on.

Value is there imo.. just dont see van taking the risk on greens health or washington bailing on him.

Solid OP tho.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
No offence you need a goalie.. The stats the last few years dont lie.. Last year it was (we have varlamov) how did that work out?

I like green alot when he plays but his injury is scary cause its the same one over and over and over.. that groin is probably spagetti now.

He WAS elite.. not he is damaged goods. Still a great player when he can play but nobody wants 5 mill for 30 - 60 games.. you want D men you can count on.

Value is there imo.. just dont see van taking the risk on greens health or washington bailing on him.

Solid OP tho.
The Capitals have no need for a goalie

and Schneider provides nothing

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Todds Chiropractory

I would do it.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
SpaceCowboy

Gillis has said he won't move Schneider unless the side is very one sided towards Van. He'll keep him till after the playoffs than make a decision about our goaltending.

An interesting thought would be something like Mason Raymond and Semin though....

SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:40 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Washington passes. Green isn't as bad as some are making him out to be in his own end. Washington doesn't need the goalie, so that does little to nothing for them.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Value's probably close, I just dont see Green as a fit.

This guy cannot defend. Ehrhoff was jettisoned because he lacked the ability to defend as well.

I think the Canucks would rather try and get somebody who isn't making as much, or is a much better two way defender.

John Carlson is exactly what the Canucks need.
I can tell you don't see the Caps often. Not that I can blame you if you're in Vancouver, I don't get to see as much of the Nucks as I'd like either.

In the past two seasons, Green has curtailed his offense to be more consistent in his own end, and it's paid dividends. Aside from being world class offensively, he's now the Caps' second best defenseman defensively, after Alzner. Carlson on the other hand has spontaneously fallen off a cliff. I believe he leads the league in turnovers. That's not to say that he won't get out of his slump, but he's more like the old Green than Green is now.

For the OP, we have no need for another young goalie. I'm not counting Neuvirth out yet, and Holtby looked VERY promising when he was up last year. Check his NHL numbers, they're otherworldly (I'd link to them but I'm on my phone, sorry). The Caps biggest need is to find a way to generate offense past the top line and Semin. Maybe something around Hodgson would work, but I know how highly you guys think of him.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote