HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM and CBJ

Old
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
EDM and CBJ

If Carter was to get traded to EDM what would it take?

Gagner plus what?

Not available are Hall, Eberle, RNH and 2012 1st round pick as it will be top 5.

For EDM fans I am not asking if Gagner should be traded in the deal, I am asking what would have to be added.

We have RNH as our no.1 centreman, our no.2 centreman needs to have size and Carter has that size and skill.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Beerfish

You won't be getting carter without one of the assets you are saying is untouchable.

As an oiler fan I want no part of Carter.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
BlueJackets66

Yeah I want RNH or Eberle or Hall for Brassard + people always believe that they can give up 2nd tier players for top line guys and it just does not make sense. You have to give to get!! The proposal I suggested is exactly what you proposed.

BlueJackets66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:16 PM
TSA0402

If your best assets are off the table, why would Columbus deal one of their best assets?

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
My name is Legion
Watch it Burn...

No way as a Oiler fan do i give up RNH, Eberle, Hall or the upcoming first and one of those is exactly what it would take for Carter, plus that contract really makes me want no part of Carter. the amount is not the problem its the length.

My name is Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
If your best assets are off the table, why would Columbus deal one of their best assets?
exactly. The Oilers would probably have to offer their first pick in the 2012 draft as a start.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Skm

Considering the Jackets have only had one offer for Carter (irl) after making it known he is available, me thinks that no one wants a part of that contract.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
exactly. The Oilers would probably have to offer their first pick in the 2012 draft as a start.
I agree. If I'm the Oilers, I'd keep the pick, draft a good d-man because they are going to need as much defensive help as they can get.

That pick would have to be in play. But Edmonton really has too much allocated on forward positions right now.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
SometimesY

Carter doesn't seem like the type of player who would like to be in Edmonton. We're kinda sensitive to that right now. We really need players that are interested in rebuilds in small market fishbowls..

SometimesY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Ryan Whitney + would be the piece if Hall/Eberle/RNH/1st 2012 are off the table.

Realistically Howson would go hard after the 1st + cap dump or Eberle + cap dump. Therefore, it's unrealistic to think Carter would go to Edmonton. Also, Edmonton's benefit for acquiring Carter is smaller than the cost they'd incur obtaining him. I don't see a point in the future where Edmonton would say "Man! If we only had another scoring forward because that's what we're really missing!" They're missing defense and goaltending, the offense should come from their drafted players.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
rockinghockey

With all the problems that Carter has had this year there is not one team in the top 5 will offer up a package including their pick for him. His value is very low at this point. What they gave up for him they will not get back for him. Gagner would make a very good number 2 centreman as their other centreman has size. If RNH had size then I would keep Gagner as our number 2 centreman but he doesn't.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Ryan Whitney + would be the piece if Hall/Eberle/RNH/1st 2012 are off the table.

Realistically Howson would go hard after the 1st + cap dump or Eberle + cap dump. Therefore, it's unrealistic to think Carter would go to Edmonton. Also, Edmonton's benefit for acquiring Carter is smaller than the cost they'd incur obtaining him. I don't see a point in the future where Edmonton would say "Man! If we only had another scoring forward because that's what we're really missing!" They're missing defense and goaltending, the offense should come from their drafted players.

I don't even like Whitney for this because of the term on his deal remaining.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Edmonton doesn't need a player with a questoinable atitude like Carters.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You won't be getting carter without one of the assets you are saying is untouchable.

This. No point in going down this road, it isn't going to happen.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
if Carter is that valuable then why is he on the table when he's locked up for such a long term already? Basically if Carter is available it's cause the Blue Jackets have a serious case of buyers remorse.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Koto

dont want carter

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Doug19

Why on earth would Columbus want Gagner? We already have Brassard, not going to significantly downgrade to Gagner when you toss anything else your team has of worth out of the picture.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
if Carter is that valuable then why is he on the table when he's locked up for such a long term already? Basically if Carter is available it's cause the Blue Jackets have a serious case of buyers remorse.
I don't think you can pity the Jackets, either.

They knew trading for him was going to be a huge shock to him. Everyone knew of his extension and knew that a NTC clause kicked in as soon as July 1st came around. He's signed at a discount price to play out his best years in Philly.

I don't know what Columbus' GM was thinking at the time. Maybe he wasn't thinking at all.

I don't think it's fair how people bash this guy's character. He signed that contract thinking he was home free in the trade department. The only thing people really have on the guy is that he likes to go out on the town and party with chicks. Talk about stupid. What twenty-something year old heterosexual male doesn't like to do that?

Maybe all pending restricted free agents should just wait until July first to resign with their teams? Risk getting offer sheeted and in the end demand more money in the end. That was a really shady deal that Philly pulled off and it isn't going to hurt them in the least because they're a desirable team to play for.

If Carter had started the year with Philly nobody can doubt that he'd be playing 200-300% better and there wouldn't be a single team in the league who wouldn't want him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I don't think you can pity the Jackets, either.

They knew trading for him was going to be a huge shock to him. Everyone knew of his extension and knew that a NTC clause kicked in as soon as July 1st came around. He's signed at a discount price to play out his best years in Philly.

I don't know what Columbus' GM was thinking at the time. Maybe he wasn't thinking at all.

I don't think it's fair how people bash this guy's character. He signed that contract thinking he was home free in the trade department. The only thing people really have on the guy is that he likes to go out on the town and party with chicks. Talk about stupid. What twenty-something year old heterosexual male doesn't like to do that?

Maybe all pending restricted free agents should just wait until July first to resign with their teams? Risk getting offer sheeted and in the end demand more money in the end. That was a really shady deal that Philly pulled off and it isn't going to hurt them in the least because they're a desirable team to play for.

If Carter had started the year with Philly nobody can doubt that he'd be playing 200-300% better and there wouldn't be a single team in the league who wouldn't want him.
he would have better teammates, he would get assists because of said teammates, he would be playing for a winner (not the worst team in the league where EVERYONE is struggling.. look at umberger, even), and that is ignoring the two bad injuries he has sustained this year when usually he plays a full season.

he is still on a 30 goal pace having said all of that.
he also is the one i see excited with teammates about goals in practice and the one who almost always is fist pumping and talking up his teammates as they leave the dressing room.

if he wants to leave or management wants to get rid of him is one thing, but saying he has lost all value and speculating that he would be 3x the player he is had he not been traded is kind of silly if you ask me.

just my 2 cents

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Not true. Perhaps Howson perceives a bigger hole in defense and goaltending and is willing to turn around and trade Carter to fill those holes.

Maybe Howson is very happy having Carter but Carter is demanding a trade privately.

Buyer's remorse isn't the only explanation, there are plenty of others.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Pucklington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Considering what he got traded for in the summer, and his value went down according to Dreger, no they wouldn't.

Carter will not get a lottery pick when he is traded. Columbus overpaid for him.

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Briecheeze

Whitney, MPS/Lander, and a second rounder?

I'm not sure how much Carter would like Edmonton though. Nothing against the city or fans, but Tambellini probably would want assurances from Carter that he wouldn't be a nuisance.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Managerial incompetence or financial crisis. Most likely a bit of both.

Personally, I don't want him gone. Especially for the garbage that is regularly offered. Past few games, he has been playing especially well with Prospal.

In fact at this point, I'd be more disappointed if they traded Carter than Nash. Talk about a guy who needs a change of scenery.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Wait 1st or 2nd overall +, or Eberle+ for Carter?
Carter was known to be a bit of a headcase last summer when he was traded for Voracek, 8th overall, and a 3rd. How has his value gone up?
Carter is a diva and looks to be a stone cold locker room assassin. Add in his horrible production and anchor of a contract and I'll politely decline

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Yup. I guess you would choose to give up the first?

EDIT: Hmm, nevermind, thought the Oilers were doing a little bit better than they are. Not sure where I've been.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote