HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jonathon Bernier being showcased

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2012, 12:50 AM
  #26
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Scenario I mean is when there is a loose puck on the opposite side of the crease and it is at a close angle to the net. I understand what you mean about taking away the angle but every single goalie coach I've ever had, including the goalie that was an NHLer, told me in the scenario, slide to the post. Earlier this year Quick got beat on the exact scenario I have in my head because he slid right at the puck, he got deked out, and scored on. If he takes a deeper angle, that doesn't happen.

The reason I bring up the leg to the post is again because he is very susceptible to being scored on from behind the red line. If he hugs the post when the puck is behind the goal line and he's in the vertical leg position, he doesn't get scored on in that manner. And I said in the previous post the mobility thing isn't an issue. But it certainly can't hurt him one bit to be ready to slide instead of having to load up his leg and then slide.

Sorry. I'm bad at describing things obviously. And maybe your 25 years of goaltending is because back when you first learned, they still didn't wear masks (I'm kidding. I'm not THAT retarded)
LOL, funny....

Might be a good idea if you can find a youtube play describing what you are trying to say..

As far as the vertical post because he's very susceptible, meh, all goalies are, you can't load up like you said, AND have a vertical leg on the post, you have to have that knee bent, and you are gonna get a bounce every so often,

I was playing in a game, kid was in the corner with the puck, I did the vertical leg post, hugged, it, played it well, the kid scored, from the corner, behind the red line.

How you ask?

He fired it at my head, hit me in the back of the freaking head, puck rolled down my shoulder and in the net.

Kid was drafted 2 years later by Montreal....go figure.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
  #27
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL, funny....

Might be a good idea if you can find a youtube play describing what you are trying to say..

As far as the vertical post because he's very susceptible, meh, all goalies are, you can't load up like you said, AND have a vertical leg on the post, you have to have that knee bent, and you are gonna get a bounce every so often,

I was playing in a game, kid was in the corner with the puck, I did the vertical leg post, hugged, it, played it well, the kid scored, from the corner, behind the red line.

How you ask?

He fired it at my head, hit me in the back of the freaking head, puck rolled down my shoulder and in the net.

Kid was drafted 2 years later by Montreal....go figure.
Uploaded a picture I threw together in literally a minute

Quick is purple star. Black circle is puck. Green star is opposite player. In that scenario, I have ALWAYS been taught to twist with the hips and slide to the post. Always. By every single person who has ever been a coaching authority on the ice with me. If he slides to the puck at the top of the crease, a deke back to the left beats him easily. To the post, you get the angle and aren't getting deked. He doesn't do that. He goes at the puck and gets beat.

Going back to the vertical post, it doesn't even have to be the vertical post position but what he does is absolutely brutal. That game vs the Rags in the beginning of the year,he got scored on from the goal line or below it. And I know for sure he's been score on from the goal line or below it at least one more time this season, and I'm pretty sure there was a 3rd occasion. Once is forgivable, twice is bad, three is brutal. He's also been scored on that way in past seasons.

Tough luck for you . My goalie coach literally drilled it in to my head to never ever be scored from the goal line or below it and its worked for 12 years now so I don't see why Quick can't figure it out


Last edited by CNS: 06-12-2012 at 01:21 AM.
CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:05 AM
  #28
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Uploaded a picture I threw together in literally a minute

Quick is purple star. Black circle is puck. Green star is opposite player. In that scenario, I have ALWAYS been taught to twist with the hips and slide to the post. Always. By every single person who has ever been a coaching authority on the ice with me. If he slides to the puck at the top of the crease, a deke back to the left beats him easily. To the post, you get the angle and aren't getting deked. He doesn't do that. He goes at the puck and gets beat.

Going back to the vertical post, it doesn't even have to be the vertical post position but what he does is absolutely brutal. That game vs the Rags in the beginning of the year,he got scored on from the goal line or below it. And I know for sure he's been score on from the goal line or below it at least one more time this season, and I'm pretty sure there was a 3rd occasion. Once is forgivable, twice is bad, three is brutal. He's also been scored on that way in past seasons.

Tough luck for you . My goalie coach literally drilled it in to my head to never ever be scored from the goal line or below it and its worked for 12 years now so I don't see why Quick can't figure it out
That game against the rags, that puck went off his head, trust me, I know the feeling lol.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:07 AM
  #29
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
That game against the rags, that puck went off his head, trust me, I know the feeling lol.
Lol you gotta use the Dominator tactic. If its behind the net, arms up on the post and back to the post too. That way if it hits you, it ain't going in. Also, not too hard to keep your head at an angle where pucks hitting it will stay out

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:09 AM
  #30
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Lol you gotta use the Dominator tactic. If its behind the net, arms up on the post and back to the post too. That way if it hits you, it ain't going in. Also, not too hard to keep your head at an angle where pucks hitting it will stay out
I didn't expect the guy to fire it at my head....

That's ok, another game, guy was in the corner, nowhere to pass, he fired it, and not a soft tap, he unloaded, right at my dman, hit him in the nuts and bounced in...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:10 AM
  #31
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfon9191 View Post
Anyone else find it odd that Jonathon Quick was replaced after 2 goals against the Florida Panthers. Is the organization trying to show Bernier off for the trade deadline? Let me know your thoughts people!
No, and both Quick and Bernier go by Jonathan, not Jonathon.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:06 PM
  #32
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Not trying to troll, but do you really want to trade a top 5 goalie in the league for yet another 25-30 goal scorer to come in and score 10-15 goals?

No freaking way. Quick is the ONLY reason the kings are not sitting in position for the #1 draft pick all year.

Bernier is going to be good, but I can't see him being any better than Quick at this point....
Your absolutely right. He is not going to be as good as Quick. You would actually pick Bernier over Quick?


Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-10-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: edited
nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:47 PM
  #33
Pucknut50
Registered User
 
Pucknut50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Completely disagree, unless I am misunderstanding you here on fundamentals,

Quick's angles, are absolutely dead on, very rarely will you see him play the wrong angle.

As far as playing the post vertically, that's been...gone for a while now, take a look, most goalies now have the paddle down when on the post and the puck is in close.

As far as the butterfly slides/push offs, you absolutely push to the puck, 100% of the time, every time, it makes it HARDER for the shooter to go around you, or pick a corner, you make yourself big, there is a reason why you RARELY see Quick allow a goal from one of the butterfly posts, he goes right to the puck, and makes himself big, and they hit him with it all the time.

Bernier plays a different style, is more calm, but Quick is the better goaltender, by far.
I agree sjmay - Quick has really improved his angles from a couple of years ago. He is also much better than Bernier on secondary saves. Problem with technical goalies they are hard to beat on the first shot but usually lacking in that secondary save.
The only thing that I think Quick still suffers from is being to aggressive at times and getting out of position.

Could Bernier end up being the better goalie? Maybe but I cannot see being much better. So if I'm a GM and had to choose I would choose to trade Bernier.

As a fan? I like Bernier better than Quick.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
  #34
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,366
vCash: 500
Quick is the only goalie in the league that gets pulled after giving up 2 goals.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:06 PM
  #35
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Quick is the only goalie in the league that gets pulled after giving up 2 goals.
For the Kings, falling behind two goals is like an insurmountable lead, like falling behind 4-0.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
  #36
SMoneyMonkey
Registered User
 
SMoneyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LA/MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
For the Kings, falling behind two goals is like an insurmountable lead, like falling behind 4-0.
4-0 isn't as insurmoutable as you may think... I learned that last year.

I like Bernier. I like him so much I hope he gets traded so he can have a good career.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
  #37
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Trying to see what life will be like when Quick is traded and Bernier is our starter. I like it.

Note: No reason to troll me. Its my opinion that I like Bernier more. I know most will disagree. I get it.
It is posts like these that make me wonder about some of you guys.

Makes absolutely no sense at all. Even if you are a Quick-hater.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:14 PM
  #38
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
It is posts like these that make me wonder about some of you guys.

Makes absolutely no sense at all. Even if you are a Quick-hater.


Try reading a thread and you'd realize I'm not a Quick hater. Everyone is entitled to our own opinions and you insinuating about my intelligence because of my opinion is ****ing annoying. I stated my case. Disagree with me? Great. I have no problem with that. There's no reason to say that it makes you wonder about my intelligence because my opinion doesn't just follow what the masses on this site say.

Good day sir.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:19 PM
  #39
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Try reading a thread and you'd realize I'm not a Quick hater. Everyone is entitled to our own opinions and you insinuating about my intelligence because of my opinion is ****ing annoying. I stated my case. Disagree with me? Great. I have no problem with that. There's no reason to say that it makes you wonder about my intelligence because my opinion doesn't just follow what the masses on this site say.

Good day sir.
Yes, every one is entitled to their own opinion, but when you assert that trading Quick is a viable option then that opinion is going to be subject to deep scrutiny.

You are the only poster here that has even remotely suggested the Kings trade Quick.

You are on an island, SIR.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
  #40
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Yes, every one is entitled to their own opinion, but when you assert that trading Quick is a viable option then that opinion is going to be subject to deep scrutiny.

You are the only poster here that has even remotely suggested the Kings trade Quick.

You are on an island, SIR.
Wow you really don't read, do you? Cause you clearly missed this guy agreeing with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant91 View Post
This!
Also, I never said I wanted the Kings to trade Quick. I'm perfectly content having two actual NHL caliber starters on our team. What I did say is that I think Bernier will be better and since Quick has a higher value, I'd rather see him traded than Bernier IF either was to be moved.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
  #41
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Yes, every one is entitled to their own opinion, but when you assert that trading Quick is a viable option then that opinion is going to be subject to deep scrutiny.

You are the only poster here that has even remotely suggested the Kings trade Quick.

You are on an island, SIR.
My opinion:

Quick > Bernier

Quick+return for Bernier < Bernier + Return for Quick, probably, but it depends on what Lombardi can get.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:50 PM
  #42
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Your opinion. I have my own and I firmly believe that Quick is not a top 5 goalie. He is absolutely the most athletic and probably flashiest goalie in the NHL but as someone who has played the position for 12 years now, I find his fundamentals to be very poor for an NHL starter.

.
You're bringing a **** storm to your front door man. First you make an unpopular stance and then you say that stats, scouting reports, the Kings org, etc are not as smart as you because you and the boys pound some beers and roll around on the concrete for a few hours. Essentially you are saying you are more fundmanetally sound than Quick.

Please, keep going. I have my next 3 responses mapped out.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  #43
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Your absolutely right. He is not going to be as good as Quick. You would actually pick Bernier over Quick?
God no.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
  #44
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
I actually believe that trading Quick makes sense. But I also realize he is the better goalie.
just seems that we play an incredibly defensive minded system, which puts quick in an incredibly beneficial system to put up great numbers. Which also overvalues him. Id rather trade on that overvaluation then ovrrpay on a contract. Especcially when we have a tremendously talented young starting caliber goalie that might sign for half as much.

We might get an awfully good return on quick and save 3 mil or so on the cap at goalie. And im confident Bernier would be a more then capable starter.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:19 AM
  #45
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Trade Quick? Boy am I glad that some of you have nothing to do with Kings' management. You do realize that Quick is the only reason why the Kings still have a shot at the playoffs, right? This franchise has struggled to find a solid starting goalie for decades and now that they finally have one, you want to trade him away. And for what exactly, more scorers? Have you not witnessed what the system does to scorers? It destroys them. JB is a good goalie, but he is not better than Quick and I am not willing to take the risk that he could potentially get to Quick's level or surpass him one day. Especially not after the long journey it took to finally solidify a solid #1.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:17 AM
  #46
kingsdarkness
Registered User
 
kingsdarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
next year quick and bernier should split 41/41..

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:16 AM
  #47
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,774
vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks Bernier is the better choice over Quick has to be suffering from some form of dementia.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:23 AM
  #48
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
So who starts vs NYI?

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM
  #49
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger
 
drugold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane,
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
So who starts vs NYI?
Burnyay

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:32 AM
  #50
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,261
vCash: 500
The funny thing about this whole cnshockey thing going on in this thread is that, before this year, if he had said the exact opposite of what he's saying now (ie Quick over Bernier), the response would have been about the same.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.