HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Would you wear this cage in a game?

Old
02-10-2012, 06:22 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
If you like a full visor or visor-cage combo, but your only problem is fogging, you could give this stuff a try:

http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Not cheap, but apparently it works amazingly well, you'd just need to make sure you're not getting sweat all over your visor which could screw up the coating (not a problem if you have a helmet that absorbs sweat, like a VN helmet).

Some reviews of it here:
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/2213/

Never used it myself, I'm a cage guy, not a visor guy, but everyone who uses it seems to love it. And no, I don't work for the company

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
The Bauer 9900 and CCM 480 were the two that kept coming up, so if they have one of those that's what I'm going with.
Just going to note, I threw the Jofa 480 (same thing) on a different helmet for some roller, and I was surprised how much I noticed the bars after using the 9900. Still a great cage, but the oval design on the Bauer is awesome.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
Just going to note, I threw the Jofa 480 (same thing) on a different helmet for some roller, and I was surprised how much I noticed the bars after using the 9900. Still a great cage, but the oval design on the Bauer is awesome.
I think I'm going to order the 9900 this weekend.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
seanlinden

Forget what it looks like -- what you need to be worried about is a false sense of security. When you're wearing a visor, you know you're exposed and of course have to be careful where you allow your head to go. When you're wearing a proper cage, you're pretty much ok when it comes to sticks and pucks.

That being said, if you're really not concerned about looks -- pick up a Bauer 9900 and matching cage. The wires are further away from your face and thinner, making the cage much less noticeable.

As for visors / visor cage combo -- if you are infact set on one -- dish soap is your friend. Rub it on once every few games, wipe it off with a paper towel.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:57 PM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I just got this cage and am on the edge how I feel about it. I'm going to play a game in it and see if my eyes feel like they are in danger.

No way. Do you live in Columbus.? I just played a team last night that had 2 guys wearing this exact cage. Seriously, 2 different guys on the same team. I immediately thought of this thread.

tijuana knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana knuckles View Post
No way. Do you live in Columbus.? I just played a team last night that had 2 guys wearing this exact cage. Seriously, 2 different guys on the same team. I immediately thought of this thread.
No, I live in Norfolk, VA. I never wore this on the ice. I took my full visor off and put my old cage on last game and really liked being able to breath freely again. I'm still not a fan of the bars in my view but from what I hear getting the Bauer 9900 should alleviate that issue.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
beenhereandthere

Seems to protect the teeth, but not the eyes.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote