HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Vancouver faced Tampa Bay last June?

Old
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Let me answer your question with another question: Do any players on the Lightning have parents in positions of influence in the league?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
We probably would have beat them in 6 or 7 but not as easy as some think.

Roloson owns us, but their defense was terrible but the system they played didn't give up a lot of chances on the outside or through the neutral zone like the Canucks like to do.

The offense would been about the same, probably a little bit better but not the same style of offense.

I'm confident we could have won in at least 7.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
KISSland

Why do you guys do this to yourselves? I hate playing what ifs when it comes to games. It'd depressing.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Well I'm depressed now.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
CommonMeans*

I'm with those who say the Canucks biggest opponent were the injuries.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:05 PM
rockjetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks1982 View Post
I do know one thing. Is the nhl/ref decided to let the boston go to the final instead of tampa. game 7 was won 1-0. whole entire game no powerplays at all for both team. the nhl gave the boston the advantage. tampa had an awesome powerplay and bruins didn't have much of a powerplay. the ref decided not to call anything. how could a whole entire game be no penalties at all especially the way the bruins play.

boston should thank the nhl for their stanley cup
Horton scored the game winner in the Tampa game 7, though video evidence showed him squirting and throwing a water bottle at a fan at the end of Game 6. Horton should have at least missed a game... The fix was in before the league decided to not call any penalties in game 7.

When I was watching the Bruins-Lightning series, I was hoping for the Lightning to come through because it would give the Canucks a better chance... Who knows?

rockjetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

What's the point of these what-if scenarios? Other than bring up my suppressed memories of last year?

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
I'm with those who say the Canucks biggest opponent were the injuries.
Of course, but Horton was injured too, and I don't know who on their roster was mangled up also. I would say the biggest opponent was Boston's excellent team defence, which closed up seams and turned back the Canucks' entry strategies, making the skating team wear itself out on the rocks.

As for Tampa, I don't watch enough of their games to know whether their style would have been less effective than Boston's. The Red Wing comparison is odd, I thought Tampa was infamous for their passive trap whereas the Wings strike me as more of a methodical, zone by zone possession skill team (with a net presence).

I mean, any of these teams could have won. The Bruins were underdogs to the Canucks according to the professional prognosticators -- so much for professional prognosticators!

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjetty View Post
When I was watching the Bruins-Lightning series, I was hoping for the Lightning to come through because it would give the Canucks a better chance... Who knows?
Whereas I pulled for the Bruins, because the Lightning got into the Finals (and won it) not too long ago.

Be careful watch ya wish for...

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Frankly the Malhotra injury was the biggest blow.

Brought in to support the d side of the game leaving Kesler free to focus on scoring more.

Kelser was overworked after having to shadow Toews and Co. the having to will the nucks through NSH.

Cumulative effect.
Yup, my thoughts exactly. It's no coincidence our GF dropped by about a goal per game right after Malhotra's injury - and that trend became even worse once the Canucks faced the defencemen they did throughout the playoffs.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Whereas I pulled for the Bruins, because the Lightning got into the Finals (and won it) not too long ago.

Be careful watch ya wish for...

How do you sleep at night?

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
We probably would have beat them in 6 or 7 but not as easy as some think.

Roloson owns us, but their defense was terrible but the system they played didn't give up a lot of chances on the outside or through the neutral zone like the Canucks like to do.

The offense would been about the same, probably a little bit better but not the same style of offense.

I'm confident we could have won in at least 7.
I agree with this as well.

Let's not forget - TB did beat Vancouver in OT last season. The Canucks don't match up well against such defensively oriented teams, ie Montreal, NYR and Tampa.

I think it wouldn't have been as entertaining or as easy as some seem to think, but I do think we would've won the cup.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Of course, but Horton was injured too, and I don't know who on their roster was mangled up also. I would say the biggest opponent was Boston's excellent team defence, which closed up seams and turned back the Canucks' entry strategies, making the skating team wear itself out on the rocks.

As for Tampa, I don't watch enough of their games to know whether their style would have been less effective than Boston's. The Red Wing comparison is odd, I thought Tampa was infamous for their passive trap whereas the Wings strike me as more of a methodical, zone by zone possession skill team (with a net presence).

I mean, any of these teams could have won. The Bruins were underdogs to the Canucks according to the professional prognosticators -- so much for professional prognosticators!
And if many of the Canuck players don't get hurt or suspended, it is my view that the Canucks win. Naturally, it's over and done with.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
embee

I wanted the Canucks to play the Lightning because if the Canucks should lose, it would have been nice to see Ohlund win a cup.

embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
CrackerJibbs

I was hoping it would be TB based solely on their defence - they didn't have a pairing that I felt could have contained the Sedins.

However, they had a fantastic offence and the outcome of that series would have by no means been a foregone conclusion. IIRC, Roloson was playing pretty close to Thomas' level, so we might have seen the same thing happen.

That is my only contribution to this thread. I'm going to go and quietly weep now...

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:41 AM
AlexandreBurrows

they didnt have the D or goalie to win. we would have swarmed them

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Momesso

I hate these kinds of pathetic 'what if' threads.

Look forward, it's the only way to avoid being depressed about it.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote