Thread for glorious discussion of game match tonight

Old
02-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Perry's attempt was garbage, too. If all you're going to do is go in slow at a crap angle, and shoot it, then let someone else try.

The PP entry is trash, especially when Getz or Fowler are handling the puck. Soooo BB, let Vis carry it, duh!

My lawyer brain got to thinking about the OT 5 on 3 situation. What's to keep you from cheating at that point. If there's only 10 seconds left, then crosscheck the hell out of your man away from the puck. Then when you touch it up, they'll have to face it off again, which leaves no time. You can cheat continuously with no consequence(ie you will have 3 left the rest of the game no matter how many in the box. Heck, you could have 15 guys in there)

Passing game is bad to awful at times. They pass into space hoping their cycle guy gets there first. You're not going to beat a team like DET in a 7 game series with a luck based passing game. Hot potatoes are for steak dinners.

God I hate DET, and now their "OT based winning streak" gives them even more fuel for the fire. Like half the games were won in shootouts, which didn't exist that long ago. A large contingent of their fan base can't/doesn't understand this though. Sigh

It seems Bobby Ryan is sick of being shuffled like a playing card, and it shows in his effort. This team is going to live or die by RPG this season, so just freaking play them. There's no way we win a cup with Beleskey or Blake on the 1st line. I was ok with BB line juggling at first, but he's gotta chill on it. He's breaking up good lines for no reason(and promoting guys for no reason) at this point, ala Lindy Ruff. RPG, HKS, BBC, BPP. A little shuffling at times for a spark fine, but not constantly with no point. Sorry for wall of text, but this loss annoyed me.
You have to get control to get a whistle, you don't want to lose one of your best 3 guys on the 5v3PK, and most importantly while you have a player whacking away away from the play its become a 4v2. They play an area defense not a man to man defense on a 5v3.

Also, Ryan has sorta played himself off the top line. His only success has been on breakaways. There was no line juggling until the offense disappeared.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Perry's attempt was garbage, too. If all you're going to do is go in slow at a crap angle, and shoot it, then let someone else try.

The PP entry is trash, especially when Getz or Fowler are handling the puck. Soooo BB, let Vis carry it, duh!

My lawyer brain got to thinking about the OT 5 on 3 situation. What's to keep you from cheating at that point. If there's only 10 seconds left, then crosscheck the hell out of your man away from the puck. Then when you touch it up, they'll have to face it off again, which leaves no time. You can cheat continuously with no consequence(ie you will have 3 left the rest of the game no matter how many in the box. Heck, you could have 15 guys in there)

Passing game is bad to awful at times. They pass into space hoping their cycle guy gets there first. You're not going to beat a team like DET in a 7 game series with a luck based passing game. Hot potatoes are for steak dinners.

God I hate DET, and now their "OT based winning streak" gives them even more fuel for the fire. Like half the games were won in shootouts, which didn't exist that long ago. A large contingent of their fan base can't/doesn't understand this though. Sigh

It seems Bobby Ryan is sick of being shuffled like a playing card, and it shows in his effort. This team is going to live or die by RPG this season, so just freaking play them. There's no way we win a cup with Beleskey or Blake on the 1st line. I was ok with BB line juggling at first, but he's gotta chill on it. He's breaking up good lines for no reason(and promoting guys for no reason) at this point, ala Lindy Ruff. RPG, HKS, BBC, BPP. A little shuffling at times for a spark fine, but not constantly with no point. Sorry for wall of text, but this loss annoyed me.
RPG is playing like hot garbage together. to much perimeter play, if we get a good deal i wouldnt lose any sleep if Ryan were traded his effectiveness is inconsistent

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:40 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
RPG is playing like hot garbage together. to much perimeter play, if we get a good deal i wouldnt lose any sleep if Ryan were traded his effectiveness is inconsistent
I've been a Getzlaf apologist all year long. It's on him. He's not playing to the best of his abilities. I watched a game from 2009. It's not even close. I don't know what happened, but it seems like he's not playing with a ton of confidence.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

Getzlaf was invisible in the offensive zone all night, and his defensive coverage was ****ing disgusting. I counted at least 5 detroit scoring changes directly off blown coverage by Getzlaf. Just standing there with his thumbs up his ass.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:57 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
Getzlaf was invisible in the offensive zone all night, and his defensive coverage was ****ing disgusting. I counted at least 5 detroit scoring changes directly off blown coverage by Getzlaf. Just standing there with his thumbs up his ass.
I wouldn't say he was invisible. He still plays like a top line center. Just not a game breaking top line center with elite talent.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You have to get control to get a whistle, you don't want to lose one of your best 3 guys on the 5v3PK, and most importantly while you have a player whacking away away from the play its become a 4v2. They play an area defense not a man to man defense on a 5v3.

Also, Ryan has sorta played himself off the top line. His only success has been on breakaways. There was no line juggling until the offense disappeared.
I get that you don't want to lose your best killers, but when time is running out, a cross-check or trip to get at the puck would be warranted.

As for Ryan playing himself off the 1st line, maybe, BUT no one has played themselves into it either. For that matter Getzlaf, has played worse, so should we put Pelley on the 1st line then? My point is he's the best option, and we will go nowhere with anyone else on that line anyways. The juggling came before the scoring dried up. Hags was playing great on the 2nd, and did NOTHING to demote himself to the 4th. Blake, Cogs, and Bonino were also playing great, and were split up for no reason other than someone had to take Hags vacated spot. His juggling will get annoying to you also in good time, I'm sure.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Shooters should have been

Selanne
Koivu
Hagman

Finns would have ate up Joey with the deaks
Damn, i was hoping for Hags to. Our 4th liner.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:41 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Best game in Detroit for a while, the goalposts of each goal should be the top two stars etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
I also saw Getzlaf stop a sure goal by backchecking after Lubo mishandled the puck in OT.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Ryan was hard to watch last night. Getzlaf's offense has completely dried up this season for whatever reason.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Best game in Detroit for a while, the goalposts of each goal should be the top two stars etc.

I also saw Getzlaf stop a sure goal by backchecking after Lubo mishandled the puck in OT.
One good play doesn't make up for the 5 other chances Jonas bailed him out of. If he wants to get paid like an allstar center, he should be expected to play like one all the time, not just when he feels like giving a ****. You would never see Dats stand around the dzone with cement feet watching the puck instead of covering his man.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Getzlaf hasn't produced for crap this season but I don't agree that there's a lack of effort. I actually think that - aside from his brief playoff bursts - his effort level this season is the highest its ever been. But, he's never been a good defender and effort alone won't cure poor instincts or decision-making.

He's an adequate defensive center when he's producing. He seems to have lost something this season.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Getzlaf hasn't produced for crap this season but I don't agree that there's a lack of effort. I actually think that - aside from his brief playoff bursts - his effort level this season is the highest its ever been. But, he's never been a good defender and effort alone won't cure poor instincts or decision-making.

He's an adequate defensive center when he's producing. He seems to have lost something this season.
Confidence.

He used to be dominant because he PLAYED like he knew how good he was. I've played with all kinds of players like Getzlaf, and they're on their best game when they're playing cocky hockey. That's totally absent this year. He's unsure of the decisions he's making and he's messing up as a result. Put a layer of frustration on top of that and you've got some serious snakebite. Same thing has happened to Ovechkin in Washington.

EDIT: To all of you who think 90 points is enough, think again. The last time the 8th seed was given to a 90 point team was in 2001. 11 years ago. Since then 91 has been the number twice. Other than that it's been 94 or higher. I wouldn't assume that just cause the 8th place team is on pace for a certain number, that will be the number come game 82. Even if 89 was a playoff number (going off Phoenix's pace, though if Dallas wins tonight the playoff pace becomes 91) we'd still have to go 18-8-3 or 19-9-1. We can say "8 points out" all we want but no one is going to sit there and wait for us to get there. And we can hit #8. Then we'd have to defend it. And at most, we can't afford to give up 9 losses. Even OTL's hurt. Because for every two OTL's it amounts to one win and one loss. So last night wasn't a good result. In a different situation you could say at least we got a point, that might help later, but we can't afford ANY points to slip away.

Last edited by DuckJet: 02-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old
02-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

They have to win the games they should win, win most of the games that are 50:50, and steal a few points from the games they shouldn't win.

Getting a point from the best team in the league isn't as good as 2 points, but it most certainly was a good result.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
caliamad

Think everyone here is being real tough... Just went toe to toe with arguably bestnteam in league whose on a historic home winning streak. Missed opportunity but team played great. I just hope we don't let this one get us down mentally

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:17 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
They have to win the games they should win, win most of the games that are 50:50, and steal a few points from the games they shouldn't win.

Getting a point from the best team in the league isn't as good as 2 points, but it most certainly was a good result.
I agree. And I thought they played some of their best hockey in a long time, but it makes more sense to say at least we got one if we were in a safer situation (last year's situation). I know I kind of seem like I want them to miss. I really don't. I'm just being real in the face of a terrible situation. Every single point is crucial. Every time a point slips away it becomes more vital to earn more. I'd prefer that we at least got that point against Detroit and not let one slip away against Columbus, but that just highlights how important EVERY game is. You can't say win MOST of the games that are 50/50 or steal a few points. We can only afford to lose 12-18 more points as it is (depending on how many points it takes to get in). It has to be 2 points from EVERY team.