HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darche doesn't want to be traded; wants to re-sign with Habs

Old
02-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
No risk, I'd say. He's serviceable enough. Ultimately you want a team with better players. But inevitably you have injuries and other disappointments and end up looking for serviceable depth options to cover the shortfalls. Good teams like St.Louis have Chris Porter hanging around, or Detroit has Miller or whoever, etc. There are depth utility guys everywhere. Darche is familiar for us and we know what he brings. At the right price, there's no risk.

You can hope we end up signing better guys as free agents. You can hope our kids step up and beat him out. Because you don't care if at the end of training camp you have to put him on waivers. It's no big deal. Meantime, if it does turn out we need him, better to have him in place. A serviceable guy on a near-league-minimum salary is worth keeping around.

If he wants to get much more than the league-minimum salary, however... well, then you let him walk, because there are other options in the same category who will get the league minimum. His familiarity factor is worth something as a tie-breaker, but not much beyond that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Darche is not the best 13th forward ! He can't fight, he can't play physical, he can't skate, he's not intimidating... way to go for a bottom 6... the guy got a break last year and we're all happy for him, but the truth is that he's a good boy career AHLer.
Actually... the 12th player should be that guy, isn't it?

I mean, the point of the 13th player is that he can take the spot of anybody for a short period. A goon cannot do this.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:06 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

He's not a 13th forward though. On a losing team coaches will use players who "work hard" and appear to care, Darche is known to be a coach's pet kinda guy in that respect.

How often was he scratched this year? He's not a 13th forward and he sucks at hockey. I'd rather a 4min brawler tough guy, even if I don't believe in them.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Captain Saku

Of course he'd want to stay here, where else he would get 20 minutes of ice time?

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I get embarrassed seeing him suck up to the referees and players he hits. Pretty much apologizes to opposing players after the whistle and goes to the refs "well you know I didn't really mean to hit him, keep up the good work, ref."
So you must get embarrassed watching Subban play as well?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Serously?

I know this board is all about the future and being that every prospect has great upside, but for people that watch a lot of hockey I find a lot of folks on here don't seem to "get it".

For a guy making what 800k, darche is a real solid 4th line guy. Sucks that we have had a ton of injuries and he's been needed in the top 9 on a few occasionbs, but come on people...

Since getting promoted a bit over 2 years ago...

143 GP 20-24-44 and +8 playing around 11:15 a game.

Those are solid numbers for the 4th line, plus he is reliable defensively, not a Laraque "looks like we are on PK every time he gets on" plus he is a regular on the PK unit that's tops in the NHL.

1-his role is not one that should be given to a rookie
2-how does anybody say he is useless is beyond me. He brings the effort every shift, reliable defensively and he is good around young players with a positive attitude.
3-why not re-sign him for another year for under 1 mil?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's not a 13th forward though. On a losing team coaches will use players who "work hard" and appear to care, Darche is known to be a coach's pet kinda guy in that respect.

How often was he scratched this year? He's not a 13th forward and he sucks at hockey. I'd rather a 4min brawler tough guy, even if I don't believe in them.
That's the thing.
He SHOULD be considered a 13th forward (looking forward).
The kind of guy that takes the spot (here and there) of a goon (we don't have any, but that's not the point) and play in case of injury.

My reasoning? We won't have many AHL forwards ready to make the jump next year (if anything, I consider that Leblanc isn't an AHL'er and might have already secured a spot... but I don't want to see Leblanc on the 4th line). Kristo probably needs a full year in the AHL). White is already an NHL'er. Darche is, all in all, better than than Blunden, and it's not like Blunden could be that enforcer. If Quailer graduates, he'll need one AHL season at the very least. Moen will be gone. AK might be gone. Gomez might be gone...

His low maintenance, hard-working nature will probably mean he gets a 13th forward spot.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:32 AM
LeMAD

You guys suck. Darche is awesome.

You should always have a guy like this somewhere on the bench when the team isn't playing well to show the team how hockey should be played.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

I'd be interested to see the average number of games for depth chart 13th forwards around the league. I suspect it's quite high. How often are all top 12 forwards healthy on any team?

I bet the Habs could go into next season with Darche as the 14th forward, and there's still a good chance he'll never be forced through waivers, unless he declines to the point where he can't survive in the league.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
GeneralMarky79

good for him ... we dont want him anyway so sorry to say darche but you suck so dont re sign here anyway leblanc<kristo<darche

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:08 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

No thanks. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Et le But

Can't believe people hate Darche.

Hate the coach for being an idiot. He's a 13th forward who works hard and can fill in any role, it's not his fault that the coach can only build one line and that better wingers have missed serious time. No way should he play over White, if White was healthy. But he's not.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
No thanks. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
Okay... Let me guess...

You want Blunden instead?

Old
02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
You guys suck. Darche is awesome.

You should always have a guy like this somewhere on the bench when the team isn't playing well to show the team how hockey should be played.
The question is how do you show how hockey should be played from the bench?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
PK76

Come on Darche, you'll make the playoffs if we trade you. You may not play 20 minutes per game but hey, you won't have to take out the golf clubs in the first week of April!

I like the guy but I'd rather have White or players that bring more physicality than Darche. Also, do you guys really think some teams are looking are Darche for their playoff run? Moen maybe, but Darche? I know he's all heart but skills-wise he's AHL caliber.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Serously?

I know this board is all about the future and being that every prospect has great upside, but for people that watch a lot of hockey I find a lot of folks on here don't seem to "get it".

For a guy making what 800k, darche is a real solid 4th line guy. Sucks that we have had a ton of injuries and he's been needed in the top 9 on a few occasionbs, but come on people...

Since getting promoted a bit over 2 years ago...

143 GP 20-24-44 and +8 playing around 11:15 a game.

Those are solid numbers for the 4th line, plus he is reliable defensively, not a Laraque "looks like we are on PK every time he gets on" plus he is a regular on the PK unit that's tops in the NHL.

1-his role is not one that should be given to a rookie
2-how does anybody say he is useless is beyond me. He brings the effort every shift, reliable defensively and he is good around young players with a positive attitude.
3-why not re-sign him for another year for under 1 mil?
I totally agree, he's got his spot as a 4th liner. I don't wanna see him on Plek's wing 20 mins a ggame though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I hope we resign him for this reason alone, he's faced a lot of adversity and seems to have always kept a positive, hard working attitude. That can work miracles on team morale and is a positive influence on the youngsters.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
The question is how do you show how hockey should be played from the bench?
Can't be that hard. So many on this board try to show how the game should be played from behind a keyboard - 25 years of high level hockey and all

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Harry Wong

Honest, hard working and most importantly, consistent player. The reason he gets the ice time he gets is because every coach wants to use a known commodity.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
GordonGraham

Still cant believe a player like him had not 1 but 2 different tv commercial deals(gm goodwrench and recyc-quebec) this year

Imagine if the habs had a real franco start how much extra money would that guy make

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:48 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
Come on Darche, you'll make the playoffs if we trade you. You may not play 20 minutes per game but hey, you won't have to take out the golf clubs in the first week of April!

I like the guy but I'd rather have White or players that bring more physicality than Darche. Also, do you guys really think some teams are looking are Darche for their playoff run? Moen maybe, but Darche? I know he's all heart but skills-wise he's AHL caliber.
The fact Darche gets a contract has absolutely no bearing on White.

AFAIK, both are signed this year, and while White didn't play a single game, it doesn't have anything to do with Darche.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The fact Darche gets a contract has absolutely no bearing on White.

AFAIK, both are signed this year, and while White didn't play a single game, it doesn't have anything to do with Darche.
I want him replaced with another player with more physicality. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Deify88

I would sign the Mathieu Darche of 2010-2011 in a heartbeat. Otherwise a 2-way deal would be fair.

Deify88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:21 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
If Darche is on this team next year, it will mean that the management didn't do what it had to do to improve this team during the off season and also that it didn't address some of our most urgent needs.

The most I would offer him is a two way deal in case of many injuries. If he's not happy with this, he can go play for TB.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
If Darche is on this team next year, it will mean that the management didn't do what it had to do to improve this team during the off season and also that it didn't address some of our most urgent needs.

The most I would offer him is a two way deal in case of many injuries. If he's not happy with this, he can go play for TB.
Is upgrading at 13th or 14th forward really among our most urgent needs? IMO a #3 dman is way, way higher on the list.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I LOL'd when I saw this. Like who the eff would trade for him? Nice guy, works hard but no thanks to resigning him unless its to play in Hamilton and be a mentor.
I crapped my pants ....Darche bro ...you stink ...get lost

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote