HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Apparently Tanner Pearson has started playing center. From a recent ohlprospects game report:

Maybe Barrie fans can help me out with this one, but when did the Colts start playing Pearson at center? First time I've seen it, and he actually looked good. He's such a smart player and sees the ice so well. His anticipation and reads make him a terrific playmaker. He gave his linemates (Colin Behenna and Anthony Camara) a couple of really nice feeds, but they couldn't finish. Playing center also showcased how strong of a two way player he's become too, as he was very committed on the backcheck, covering off for pinching defenseman. Had a couple of chances where he found room in the slot for a big shot, but couldn't hit the net. I think he was probably the best player on the ice.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...-february.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
First of all Leblanc isn't going anywhere or Tinordi,but Brassard will most likely be a Hab before the trade deadline.Gauthier and Howson have a good accord and the Habs have made it public they are interested.When Gauthier wants a player he usually gets a deal made.
Where did you hear this?

Last edited by Roulin: 02-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Would love to get Brass, but he's been playing really well and it wouldn't surprise me if the Jackets wanted to give him a bit more time to show he could be part of their team going forward. So I doubt he'd be dealt at the deadline.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'd be willing to pay a 2nd for him. I think he might work well with Plekanec and on our PP and if he doesn't work out, no big deal.
I'm not. He's not the player he was projected to be. Yes he's young, but they've ruined him much like half their prospects. I'd rather take a shot at an eligible that's gonna slip in the 2nd round and nab him early.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I'm not. He's not the player he was projected to be. Yes he's young, but they've ruined him much like half their prospects. I'd rather take a shot at an eligible that's gonna slip in the 2nd round and nab him early.
Wouldn't you want to turn the tables for once instead of being the team that gives up a young player not fitting in for not much?

Brass has skills, and he's playing really well right now. If the Jackets deal him for a 2nd, I take that deal and run.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Sadly, 2nd rounders have a pretty low chance of even being as good as what Brassard is now, even in his fallen state.

I'd be pretty hesitant over trading something more significant than a 2nd though. Then again, with Desharnais and Eller in the fold and pretty good wing depth it doesn't seem like Montreal has a particular need for a Brassard type player anyway.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
brunosevigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Wouldn't you want to turn the tables for once instead of being the team that gives up a young player not fitting in for not much?

Brass has skills, and he's playing really well right now. If the Jackets deal him for a 2nd, I take that deal and run.
Maybe for a 2nd in 2013 since we have 2 but I just can't see Brassard like an offensively good asset for us. I think he is a 2nd-3rd line forward, players that we already plenty have.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Would want nothing to do with Brassard, no place for him here.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosevigny View Post
Maybe for a 2nd in 2013 since we have 2 but I just can't see Brassard like an offensively good asset for us. I think he is a 2nd-3rd line forward, players that we already plenty have.
I'd much rather trade our 2012 second and keep our 2 2013 since it's a lot deeper and we might be able to get first-round talent with one if not both.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:16 PM
brunosevigny

It is really not difficult, we absolutely need a franchise type forward. Since we're not a cup containder team, forget about the free agency market. Our only options are draft or trade. I would overpay to land players like that. Here are the players I think we should go for players among theses:

Radulov, Nash (Probably not available), Huberdeau, Yakupov, Grigorenko.

If impossible, Forsberg and Galchenyuk are good options. IMO I prefer Galchenyuk than Forsberg since I think he has kind of a tunnel vision.
For 2nd liners, I really like Paajarvi and D. Brown in L.A.

I don't know why, but I really have a feeling that i'm going to be disapointed about the trade deadline and the entry draft. I guess we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'd much rather trade our 2012 second and keep our 2 2013 since it's a lot deeper and we might be able to get first-round talent with one if not both.
IMO its not about the year but the positioning. Our 2012 will probably be between 30-40 and our 2013 is unlikely to be that high. Unless the injury issue, the team would probably have been in the playoffs or real close.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-10-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: merge
Old
02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

@em, no I don't. Again I'd rather try out a fresh player who will slip into the 2nd round. Many good prospects are found in that range. And they WILL be found in that range this year and the year after. Every year there are a few that do that. And as someone mentioned it's not like he offers something that this team severely lacks: physical edge/super talent/veteran top4 D/etc.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
charlie

I was all for tanking and trying to get that top 3 pick.
I have changed my tune.
It is not in the best interest of the team, and u know they aint going to play to lose.
Look what we got last year picking 17th. Not bad.
I want to watch good hockey and winning attitude.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
I have changed my tune.
It is not in the best interest of the team, and u know they aint going to play to lose.
Wrong thread.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

I think I will be disappointed if we don't get one of Grigorenko, Yakupov, Forsberg or Galchenyuk. We either need an elite winger for Plekanec or an elite centre to replace him.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
I have changed my tune.
Wrong philosophy. Wrong mentality. Wrong everything. But I respect your opinion.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Vancouver Giants play Everett Silvertips tonight on Starchoice(Shaw) - ch. 299. Probably available only in Western Canada.

Should be good to see Gallagher and Ryan Murray play against each other.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Vancouver Giants play Everett Silvertips tonight on Starchoice(Shaw) - ch. 299. Probably available only in Western Canada.

Should be good to see Gallagher and Ryan Murray play against each other.
They've both said at the WJC how much they hated each other in the WHL esp. Murray because Gally ran over their goalie all the time

Old
02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Stephaaane

Anyone has a little scouting report on Matej Beran? Satistically, he's intriguing.

6''05, 205lbs, center, shoots left, rookie season with PEI, 56 pts/53 games.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

And the Tank rolls along, Buffalo with a win, Anaheim and Carolina with the loser points. Now we just need Pacioretty to catch a 2 month flu!

Old
02-11-2012, 02:53 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaaane View Post
Anyone has a little scouting report on Matej Beran? Satistically, he's intriguing.

6''05, 205lbs, center, shoots left, rookie season with PEI, 56 pts/53 games.
I read an article about him last week,his coach says he has a great attitude and works hard at both ends of the rink.The Habs should keep an eye on him and try to draft him in the 4th round.There is another article on the NHL .com about Radek Faksa and he sounds like another power forward at center they say he's 6'3 and 203 lbs.but they figure he'll be about 220 when he's filled out and he's a good playmaker.He was picked as the Habs 1st round choice at 8th overall by all three mock drafts.They say he's the 4th highest forward in the 2012 draft.Sounds like a pretty good player along the type of player David Backes is for St. Louis Blues IMO.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I read an article about him last week,his coach says he has a great attitude and works hard at both ends of the rink.The Habs should keep an eye on him and try to draft him in the 4th round.There is another article on the NHL .com about Radek Faksa and he sounds like another power forward at center they say he's 6'3 and 203 lbs.but they figure he'll be about 220 when he's filled out and he's a good playmaker.He was picked as the Habs 1st round choice at 8th overall by all three mock drafts.They say he's the 4th highest forward in the 2012 draft.Sounds like a pretty good player along the type of player David Backes is for St. Louis Blues IMO.
4rth round ? Won't he go in the 2nd ?

Old
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Baxter View Post
4rth round ? Won't he go in the 2nd ?
His skating is terrible, can't see him going in the top 2 rounds.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His skating is terrible, can't see him going in the top 2 rounds.
Ahh okok. Well it would be a nice late round pickup. Skating can be worked on for sure.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Ahh okok. Well it would be a nice late round pickup. Skating can be worked on for sure.
Another power forward that may be available in the 2nd or 3rd round is LW Brian Hart, he's playing for Exeter in New Hampshire and is going to Harvard next year.Out of all the players in the USHS's Cristoval Nieves is the only one that will go in the first round and Hart is the next top player out of that system.He fits the model type of player the Habs are drafting,signing as UFA's and trading for,Radek Faksa also fits into the power forward/center the Habs love and need,he plays for Kitchener of the OHL.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's not just his speed it's technique, he has a hunched over skating style.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
They've both said at the WJC how much they hated each other in the WHL esp. Murray because Gally ran over their goalie all the time
I liked the way Murray played last night. I was a bit disappointed with his performance in the WJC, especially as the competition got tougher, it felt like he was a bit overwhelmed against the best juniors in the world. But, against the Giants, he looked very comfortable and capable. He played a lot of minutes against Gallagher, who had a lot more time and space when Murray wasn't on the ice. I would of liked to see Murray take a few chances and show some spontaneity but that doesn't seem to be his style at all.

I'd be more than happy with Murray on the Habs but I wouldn't take him Top 5 in this years draft not only based on need but also I think we could do better with some of the other players available.

Closed Thread