HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Name four better. I can't
Agreed. This Ranger defense is one of the best in the NHL with some real good depth also

Old
02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Detroit, Nashville, Phoenix, Pittsburgh.

And my sleepers who are not necessarily "better" but very underrated D corps... Buffalo, Ottawa, Washington (who have been screwed by goaltending), and San Jose who's top 3 are very solid.
Really? I wouldnt trade defenses with any of those teams.

Rangers have the 2nd best GAA in hockey. Now I know goaltending plays into that but when their backup goalie would be 5th in the NHL in GAA that tells you something about the defense. How many of the teams that you mentioned can say that? None.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

And my sleepers who are not necessarily "better" but very underrated D corps... Buffalo, Ottawa, Washington (who have been screwed by goaltending), and San Jose who's top 3 are very solid.
I take our D over Detroit's (sans NikLid obviously), Phoenix and Pittsburgh with no question.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:51 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I take our D over Detroit's (sans NikLid obviously), Phoenix and Pittsburgh with no question.
I wouldnt take Nashvilles either (minus Weber and Suter)

Old
02-10-2012, 09:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
I wouldnt take Nashvilles either (minus Weber and Suter)
well that's 87% of their D. lol

Old
02-10-2012, 10:05 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
well that's 87% of their D. lol
Top 6 vs Top 6 I dont think Nashville comes close to the Rangers. Rinne is a great goalie if their defense was that good he'd atleast be in the top 10 GAA.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Well, obviously I disagree. Detroit and Nashville may both have a better individual players but not an overall top six.

And Fitzy, I love you but Phoenix? Yandle is the only Coyote who makes the top six in New York. Their defense is a product of one in, four back every night. No one in the league traps as much as Phoenix.

Outside of the top 5, San Jose may be the most overrated defense in the league. Washington doesn't even belong in the conversation.

The team I think that has the most comparable defense to the Rangers is Boston.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
[QUOTE=HAPPY HOUR;43915929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Based on the protocol that was used with Stall, he's probably been shut down for a month. That was almost three weeks ago. I wouldn't write off the season yet.[/QUOTE]

Nor would I. Making predictions and speculating about this stuff is useless.
I don't think it's useless. Every instance is different, yes, but some things we know to be true.

If a guy has been completely shut down and isn't even working out, he's not going to be back next week. Even if he is cleared to resume skating, you're still looking at another month (at least) before he is back in the lineup. And that's assuming no setbacks, of which Sauer has already experienced a few.

If he was shut down completely over two weeks ago, and nothing about his condition has changed, it's a pretty safe assumption that he won't be back skating for a couple weeks.

There's only 8 weeks left in the season. If he's going to come back and actually make it into games, he's going to have to get back skating within the next two weeks, realistically. The defense is playing pretty well at the moment, and I can't see the team inserting him back in during the playoffs.

It's all speculation, sure, but it's educated speculation.

It's just pain.
Old
02-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

I don't think it's useless. Every instance is different, yes, but some things we know to be true.

If a guy has been completely shut down and isn't even working out, he's not going to be back next week. Even if he is cleared to resume skating, you're still looking at another month (at least) before he is back in the lineup. And that's assuming no setbacks, of which Sauer has already experienced a few.

If he was shut down completely over two weeks ago, and nothing about his condition has changed, it's a pretty safe assumption that he won't be back skating for a couple weeks.

There's only 8 weeks left in the season. If he's going to come back and actually make it into games, he's going to have to get back skating within the next two weeks, realistically. The defense is playing pretty well at the moment, and I can't see the team inserting him back in during the playoffs.

It's all speculation, sure, but it's educated speculation.

1. The Rangers aren't going to give updates on uncertain things. Even if Sauer is feeling great, the Rangers won't let you know.

2. With 8 weeks to go in the season, Sauer can be shut down for another full month and still come back nice and fresh for the playoffs.

He has been shut down for 3 weeks so far, meaning he could be back in the lineup by mid-March.

3. Odds are the Rangers would announce if Sauer were gone for the season, we would hear an announcement. No news is good news. I am fairly certain he will be back before the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
1. The Rangers aren't going to give updates on uncertain things. Even if Sauer is feeling great, the Rangers won't let you know.

2. With 8 weeks to go in the season, Sauer can be shut down for another full month and still come back nice and fresh for the playoffs.

He has been shut down for 3 weeks so far, meaning he could be back in the lineup by mid-March.

3. Odds are the Rangers would announce if Sauer were gone for the season, we would hear an announcement. No news is good news. I am fairly certain he will be back before the playoffs.
Yeah, but look how much Staal's game has fallen off from missing all that time. The chances of Sauer getting healthy and getting his game back by playoff time are not good.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

We haven't heard any updates from any of the beat writers about any changes in his ability to work out. I'm not encouraged.

You're right, he could come back nice and fresh for the playoffs. As I said though, with a defense playing well, I can't foresee him coming back just for the playoffs. It takes a lot to return to form after a long layoff. Look at Staal, back a month and a half and just now getting back into form. If Sauer isn't playing a couple weeks prior to the playoffs, I don't think he plays at all.

How can you say in point one that the Rangers won't give us an update, but then in point three that the Rangers WOULD give us an update? I'm not saying it's certain that he's out for the season, simply that with each passing day that he's not even working out the likelihood of a return further decreases. I hope you're right and he does come back. Just seems somewhat unlikely to me, at this point.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yeah, but look how much Staal's game has fallen off from missing all that time. The chances of Sauer getting healthy and getting his game back by playoff time are not good.
Except that Staal didn't just miss all those games, he also missed training camp and all the workouts that preceded training camp. Sauer would probably be able to come back more quickly since he was in game shape at the time he was shut down.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:08 AM
JayQueensNY88*

This is exactly why he didnt go round #1..he has sick potential..but a body made of glass..His career will be short lived.I have that feeling and its sad.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
This is exactly why he didnt go round #1..he has sick potential..but a body made of glass..His career will be short lived.I have that feeling and its sad.
body made of glass? his head hit the dasher....anyone would have a severe concussion from that.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
body made of glass? his head hit the dasher....anyone would have a severe concussion from that.
Agreed, but the point is that he has suffered one injury after another since his junior hockey days.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I miss Sauer. It feels like years since he's last played.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yeah, hard to blame this concussion on his being prone to injury. That was a monster hit, compounded by his helmet coming off and the back of his head slamming on the dasher. Anyone would likely be out for considerable time from that.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

its easy. The Rangers would announce out for a season because there would be nothing to lose or gain from it.

But giving updates on things that change day to day would be ridiculous. "No headaches today... oh wait, he just got a headache."

No news means he isnt gone for the season.

Quote:
How can you say in point one that the Rangers won't give us an update, but then in point three that the Rangers WOULD give us an update? I'm not saying it's certain that he's out for the season, simply that with each passing day that he's not even working out the likelihood of a return further decreases. I hope you're right and he does come back. Just seems somewhat unlikely to me, at this point.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
its easy. The Rangers would announce out for a season because there would be nothing to lose or gain from it.

But giving updates on things that change day to day would be ridiculous. "No headaches today... oh wait, he just got a headache."

First, most of the updates we receive on injured players don't come in the form of official team comments. They come from the beat writers. I wouldn't expect an official team announcement one way or the other.

I never said that Sauer is certainly gone for the rest of the year. Nothing close to that. I said that each passing day that there's no change in his condition and he's still shutdown means it's less and less likely that we see him back this season. Do you disagree with that? Again, I'm not expecting any type of official press release regarding his condition. However, it's extremely rare that all of our beat writers are completely in the dark on these things. If they haven't heard a change in his status, there's a very good chance that he's still completely inactive. If that's the case, again, his return for the year is basically a 50/50 proposition at best.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Zil

Quote:

Actually there is something to gain: Leverage in trade scenarios. If people know he's gone for the season, then they know they can make crazier demands of the Rangers for a defenseman.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
We haven't heard any updates from any of the beat writers about any changes in his ability to work out. I'm not encouraged.

You're right, he could come back nice and fresh for the playoffs. As I said though, with a defense playing well, I can't foresee him coming back just for the playoffs. It takes a lot to return to form after a long layoff. Look at Staal, back a month and a half and just now getting back into form. If Sauer isn't playing a couple weeks prior to the playoffs, I don't think he plays at all.

Our defense is playing well but the 6th d-man seems to be taking 2 minors a night. Imagine how solid we would be if our 3rd D pair was healthy Staal - Sauer.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
#NYR No lineup changes for Rangers tmrw. No update on Fedotenko or Sauer. Torts: "I haven't even seen Michael."
@KatieStrangESPN

That can't be good.

02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
@KatieStrangESPN

That can't be good.
imo that is tort's speak for 'don't ask me cause i'm not saying'. good or bad torts knows whats going on with sauer

Old
02-18-2012, 04:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
imo that is tort's speak for 'don't ask me cause i'm not saying'. good or bad torts knows whats going on with sauer
Torts has always operated on the philosophy of "let the medical staff do their thing, and they can tell me when he's ready to play."

Torts isn't going to track Sauer's progress closely, he has other stuff to do. He'll tell us when the medical staff clears him to play.

RANGERS =
Old
02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It stands to reason that Sauer was shut down for a month in the same manner that Staal was. If that's the case, we might hear some news this week. and if he's not ready to start workouts you can pretty much guarantee that there will be a news balckout until after the trade deadline. No use creating leverage for your opponents.

Closed Thread