HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Next captain?

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

vCash: 500
Next captain?

It's safe to assume Yzerman is done after this year if he can make it through the season...which is a suspect venture at this point. Who wears the C next season?

The fundamentally sound and quiet Nicklas Lidstrom?
The respected veteran and vocal leader Brendan Shanahan?
The working class hero Kris Draper?
The old pro's pro Chris Chelios?

Or to honor Yzerman, have 3 assistant captains for next year and name a new captain in 2007-08?

If all four guys are on the team next year, I'd lean towards Shanahan because of his on ice presense. Lidstrom could be a bigger leader in the dressing room than what we see in the games but I've always thought Shanahan was the strongest communicator on the bench and on the ice. He's taken to the leadership role well with Yzerman out of the lineup. I'd keep Lidstrom with one A and then rotate Draper and Chelios with the other A.

Thoughts?

Old
01-10-2006, 12:20 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I'm inclined to put my money on Nick Lidstrom, but I'd not count out either Shanny or Kris.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:30 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I'm inclined to put my money on Nick Lidstrom, but I'd not count out either Shanny or Kris.
I agree. I think the large contingent of Swedes will also play a factor in the decision.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It should be Lidstrom if they decide to go for a veteran guy (previous leadership - he was pretty much the de-facto captain when Yzerman was out - and seniority) or Zetterberg if they decide they want to elevate the "captain of the future" right away.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Fryer

somehow I do not see Zetterberg in a captain's role yet.
i'd go with Nick pending that he is signed

Old
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

I go with Lidstrom, Shanahan also sounds good!

Both guys will be captain for a few years until the retire. Zetterberg is the guy for the future IMO

Old
01-10-2006, 01:24 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Z should at least get an A. Y ask Y?

Old
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Jim Boeheim

Shanahan

Old
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
naihlflames

Shanny with A's to Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Why Shanny? In the past year he has been very involved with the rules committee and has a great deal of respect around the league. Who better to represent your team when talking to the refs about a questionable call.

Also, I think Shanny would step up big time as a leader with that role. By picking Shanny, I mean no disrespect to Nick. Lidstrom is greatt, but I see Shanny as more of a leader.

Old
01-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Shanny with Z getting an A to set him up to become captain when Shanny leaves.

With Lidstrom, while I'm not sure he'd turn it down if he was asked, I'm also not sure it's something he'd really want, either. He just doesn't seem like a guy who would want the limelight of the position while Shanny just has a personality that I think is better suited for it.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:20 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
chelios is think is gonna be out after this year, hes getting pretty old and u gotta think 1 of these years his body isnt gonna come back in good top end shape

Old
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
For those who don't see Z's leadership qualities, this is from today's Free Press:

"Even on the rare night he doesn't score, Zetterberg tires out opponents because they must heed him, and that's the kind of performance that brings to mind a certain defenseman.

"He's similar to Nick in that aspect, that he plays pretty well every single night," Steve Yzerman said.

Coach Mike Babcock, on the other hand, likened Zetterberg, 25, to what Yzerman was at that age.

"Every night, he just brings it," Babcock said. "He's just -- he's an energizer bunny. And whoever you play with him, that guy plays good. It's unbelievable how good he is. ... It appears to me over the years that that's what (Yzerman) has done -- made people around him better. Zetterberg has those same qualities. He doesn't say a whole bunch; he just does it. That's leadership."

So, like I said, he's got to at least be an assistant captain, and I wouldn't object at all if he got the C outright. It's not like he's a 19 year old rookie, the guy's like 25.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
jacK

i'd give the 'C' to Nick.
we don't need a vocal leader, see: Yzerman (see: greatest Captain of all time, heh) lead by example and speak when something needs to be said. referees will listen just as much to Shanny if he's wearing an 'A' a 'C' or nothing at all.
remember in all of this that we have to re-sign BOTH Liddy and Shanny. shouldn't be a problem, but note-worthy.

C-Lidstrom
A-Shanny
A-Hank

Old
01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
MetalMilitia

How about Shanny AND Lidstrom. It may be against the rules, but who's gonna stop them?

Old
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Higgy4

I say Nick should get the C and Zetterberg should be made an alternate captain. As for Shanny? Well, there is no guarantee that he will even be back next year. I know Nick is UFA too, but I think its fairly certain the Wings will bring him back one way or another. Not so sure about Shanny though.

Closed Thread