HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What is your favorite Hockey Book you have read?

Old
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Inkling
"Let's win it all"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
As far as hockey books go, if you want to see the game from a different perspective, these books by and about NHL officials are interesting.

Calling The Shots by Bruce Hood
Between The Lines by Ray Scapinello
Tough Calls by Dick Irvin
I agree, I also enjoy reading stories written by or about the officials (and I'm just a fan with no officiating background).

Two others I've enjoyed are Kerry Fraser's recent book as well as "Black and White and Never Right" by Vern Buffey.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The swedish hockey calender from 1960's. Great resource for european and some american hockey. Good interview with Sterner.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
The Rebel League easily tops my list
2nd is Future Greats and Heartbreaks

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:37 AM
sharks9

The Montreal Canadiens: 100 years of glory
The Greatest Game

Both great hockey books.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:07 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

i liked phil esposito's book. i can remember that era and he didn't hold nothing back

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I'll start off by saying that I like hockey as a game, far better than baseball... but as far as literature goes, baseball has hockey beat, hands down. No hockey book I have ever read is even half as good as Glory of Their Times... or Summer of '49... or The Long Season... or Eight Men Out... or Ball Four... or The Bad Guys Won... or Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract etc. etc. Even the fiction is better.

That said, the hockey books I have enjoyed the most are The Rebel League, When The Lights Went Out and The Game.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Gzowski's the Game of Our Lives is my favorite
Enjoyed "Tiger, a Hockey Story"
Esposito autobiography entertaining stuff at a grade six level.

This will be wildly unpopular, but I find The Game to be pretentious and greatly over-rated. I think Dryden thinks himself to be somewhat more cereberal than his audience and that the reader often buys into that line of thinking. Entertain me, it's a ****ing hockey book.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky View Post
Gzowski's the Game of Our Lives is my favorite
Enjoyed "Tiger, a Hockey Story"
Esposito autobiography entertaining stuff at a grade six level.

This will be wildly unpopular, but I find The Game to be pretentious and greatly over-rated. I think Dryden thinks himself to be somewhat more cereberal than his audience and that the reader often buys into that line of thinking. Entertain me, it's a ****ing hockey book.
Couldn't agree more. This book strikes me as entirely self-serving. Basically an "I'm smarter than everyone else, and I want you all to understand that". This was a pretty dry read, and it didn't provide any great insights that I was expecting it to based on its reputation. The story about Guy Lapointe (I think) taking a piss in Mario Tremblay's coke was the main thing I remember from the book. Yeah, it's juvenille, but stories like that are a big reason you read most player biographies anyway.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Couldn't agree more. This book strikes me as entirely self-serving. Basically an "I'm smarter than everyone else, and I want you all to understand that". This was a pretty dry read, and it didn't provide any great insights that I was expecting it to based on its reputation. The story about Guy Lapointe (I think) taking a piss in Mario Tremblay's coke was the main thing I remember from the book. Yeah, it's juvenille, but stories like that are a big reason you read most player biographies anyway.
there have been great discussions on the sihr yahoogroup lately about how the book is full of factual/historical errors too.

as an example, he recalls a game where he nearly lost it for them against Colorado by allowing two quick soft goals and then the habs went out and scored two late ones to ice it. they looked for this actual game on the HSP and there was nothing similar in terms of the timing of the goals for and against, the players Dryden said scored for the habs, and the closeness of the game. there was not even a game they could point to and say "oh, he probably meant this one but just got this detail wrong."

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I thought that Dryden analysis of what made the Canadiens a great team was the best part. Specifically that they had a statesman like Serge Savard, talented but aloof Guy Lafleur, intense Mario Tremblay, and pain in the butt Rejean Houle and how they all contributed in different ways. Helps when I ask myself, "why is that guy on the team"?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I thought that Dryden analysis of what made the Canadiens a great team was the best part. Specifically that they had a statesman like Serge Savard, talented but aloof Guy Lafleur, intense Mario Tremblay, and pain in the butt Rejean Houle and how they all contributed in different ways. Helps when I ask myself, "why is that guy on the team"?
The thing is, tons of players have written books that mention all that same stuff. Dryden may have written it in a more scholarly tone than most, but that's about it. But hey, everyone will get something different out every book, so to each his own.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Big Phil

Thunder and Lightning (Phil Esposito)
Let's Talk Hockey: 50 Wonderful Debates

both good reads for different reasons

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
there have been great discussions on the sihr yahoogroup lately about how the book is full of factual/historical errors too.

as an example, he recalls a game where he nearly lost it for them against Colorado by allowing two quick soft goals and then the habs went out and scored two late ones to ice it. they looked for this actual game on the HSP and there was nothing similar in terms of the timing of the goals for and against, the players Dryden said scored for the habs, and the closeness of the game. there was not even a game they could point to and say "oh, he probably meant this one but just got this detail wrong."
I read about twelve Gretzky books when I was a kid and was probably most disappointed by the stuff in his autobiography that I could remember like it had happened to me but he had ****ed up.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky View Post
I read about twelve Gretzky books when I was a kid and was probably most disappointed by the stuff in his autobiography that I could remember like it had happened to me but he had ****ed up.
About the only time you hear Gretzky show some bitterness towards anyone was in his 1990 book "Gretzky an Autobiography." The trade was still fresh on his mind and he didn't paint Pocklington in a very good light. It was a side we don't always see with Gretzky

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
vancanucks16

Theo Fleury - Playing with Fire

vancanucks16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
reckoning

Has anyone here read the recent Bobby Hull book yet?

http://www.amazon.ca/Devil-Bobby-Hull-Original-Million-Dollar

I've never been a fan of Gare Joyce's (didn't like his book on the '87 WJC brawl), but Bobby Hull's career would certainly make for an interesting read if it was truly a no-holds-barred, honest account. I know Joe Pelletier named it as the best hockey book of the year, but 2011 wasn't that great a year for hockey books.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:14 AM
blueschooler

Gretzky's Tears by Steven Brunt is pretty good. I also read The Meaning of Puck by Bruce Dowbiggin, which is great analysis on the relationship between hockey and Canada as a country. Reading Ron MacLean's book right now and I'm liking at lot

blueschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancanucks16 View Post
Theo Fleury - Playing with Fire
I ran into Theo at the Nova Scotia PC Convention a couple of years ago, he must have been in town promoting that book. Always hated his guts but I must read that book sometime.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
ICM1970

My favourites are William Houston's Inside Maple Leaf Gardens: The Rise and Fall of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the two written by Ross Brewitt Last Minute of Play and Into the Empty Net.

ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICM1970 View Post
My favourites are William Houston's Inside Maple Leaf Gardens: The Rise and Fall of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the two written by Ross Brewitt Last Minute of Play and Into the Empty Net.
I like those two by Brewitt as well.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

These two have been mentioned before but I'll mention them again, as they were my favorites (I liked The Game as well, btw)

Zamboni Rodeo - Jason Cohen (a great insight into minor league hockey, as this is the level where most of the imports in our Dutch Elite League come from)

Future Greats & Heartbreaks - Gare Joyce (a look into the otherwise unknown world of NHL scouts)

Also recommendable:

The Meaning of Puck: How Hockey Explains Modern Canada - Bruce Dowbiggin

Simply The Best: Insights and Strategies from Great Coaches - Mike Johnston & Ryan Walters

Not for literary value, but I've found "Slap Shot Original: The Man, the Foil, and the Legend" by Dave Hanson quite funny, too

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Hot Water Bottle
a.k.a. Prawo Jazdy

In Canada there used to be tons of moralistic, young-adult fictional storybooks based around hockey. They taught me some important life lessons that I still use every day.

The most popular ones were a series including "Boy on Defense" and "Boy at Leafs' Camp". I only remember that the hero and his friend make up a code "WOFL" (pronounced waffle) - "watch out for (something)" ... which they yell to each other at crucial moments on the ice.

There was also a book called Ice Hawk where a young player is forced to be a goon by his coach and then has to make a crucial life decision after sending another guy to the hospital.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote