HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2011, 02:57 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissButch View Post
Wow, this kid is growing fast
whoops. Probably still 5'7'' haha, my mistake. Still bigger then he was drafted, plus he was quite young as far as his draft year. On the off chance he reaches 5'9'' i could see him being a pretty decent NHLer from everything i've seen and heard about him.

Kid is a huge longshot but who doesnt cheer for the underdog.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
orangeandblack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
How big are his parents?
His dad is around 5'9"

Old
08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
You know with modern science where it is today, there's gotta be some kind of hormone or something that they can give this kid, maybe boost him up a couple inches? It's 2011, I know there's a way.
Yes.

It involves breaking both legs, inserting steel rods into both sides of the break, and slowly pulling the bones apart. It is one of the most painful procedures a patient can go through, and the healing time is several months.

It's usually only used on people who have one leg shorter than the other or people afflicted with dwarfism.

Good luck trying to do that with an athlete.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Yes.

It involves breaking both legs, inserting steel rods into both sides of the break, and slowly pulling the bones apart. It is one of the most painful procedures a patient can go through, and the healing time is several months.

It's usually only used on people who have one leg shorter than the other or people afflicted with dwarfism.

Good luck trying to do that with an athlete.
I saw that on Nip/Tuck once. So weird.

And yeah, it's obviously a fluff piece. There have been tons of guys his size that have been drafted and never seen a minute of NHL action. He may be skilled but he'll need more than a few years of work to be even considered for a shot in the majors.

Something like this needs to become second nature to him:

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/martin-...arcl-1769.html

Old
08-04-2011, 08:43 AM
PizzaSteak

Old
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
apparently 5'7'' 150 now.
Ahh ****, those 14 year old better watch their heads.

In all honesty, the kid has all the skill set needed to be a great scorer in this league. Hands kinda remind me of Afiogenov (sp). Here's hoping he hits the weight room hard.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissButch View Post
Wow, this kid is growing fast
Looks like he took my advice.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Nick Seeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild.com
Would you rather …

1) Win a state high school hockey championship with the boys from the neighborhood?
Or
2) Have your name called by the Minnesota Wild during the NHL Entry Draft just a half hour away from home?

Eden Prairie’s Nick Seeler accomplished both in a matter of three months.

“It’s an incredible feeling growing up and going to the games and watching the games and wanting to be a Wild player one day,” Seeler said. “And knowing you get an opportunity to be one.”

Xcel Energy Center has been awfully good to the gritty defenseman, who was selected in the fifth round (131st overall) Saturday afternoon in front of friends and family.

Seeler, who played with Wild second-round pick Mario Lucia on Triple-A teams, wasn’t on most pundits’ prospect lists, but his game – and stature – grew quickly during the 2010-2011 season with the state champion Eagles.

From 5-11 to almost 6-2 in one year, Wild Assistant General Manager Brent Flahr likes what he sees.

“Nick Seeler is a guy we saw throughout the year. He’s a competitive kid, can skate and moves the puck,” Flahr said. “We like his potential.”

In 28 games, Seeler scored 9 goals and 34 assists for 43 points for the Eagles. Highlights include a four-point performance against Bloomington Jefferson (two goals, two assists) and a whopping six assists against Hopkins, both during the regular season.

At crunch time, Seeler showed up. He tallied three assists in three section playoff games and scored six points (two goals, four assists) in Eden Prairie’s three games at the state tournament.

The Wild’s fifth-round pick might not have been fierce with the media Saturday, but he can be punishing on the ice, a quality not overlooked in the hockey world.

“I play with a nasty disposition I guess you could say,” said Seeler, whose sister Kelly plays hockey for the Gophers and oldest sister Ashley played soccer at the University of Minnesota.

University of Nebraska-Omaha Head Coach Dean Blais wants in on the action. The plan for Seeler is to play one year with Muskegon in the USHL before manning the blue line for the upstart Mavericks.

He’s got a feisty, physical demeanor along with good vision, hockey sense and a hard shot – desirable qualities for any defensive prospect.

“It’s definitely the beginning of hopefully a long journey,” Seeler said. “It just starts now. You have to keep working. The NHL guys are so good. I just have to keep working at the little things to get better and hopefully one day play for the Wild.”
Sounds to me like this kid is going to be the steal of the draft. Did you read the adjectives they used for him!? Absolute steal in the 5th round!

Old
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

As someone who has seen the kid play on a number of occasions...including the USHL playoffs...

Barring some massive freak of god growing spree, the kid is about 5'5" 140 lbs without skates on. This 5'7"/5'8" heresay is just that.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:14 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Gaudreau (and his brother) has decided to attend BC. My understanding is that he will attend this year. I can't wait until he significantly outscores Kreider and everyone on this board goes nuts.

Old
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
Gaudreau (and his brother) has decided to attend BC. My understanding is that he will attend this year. I can't wait until he significantly outscores Kreider and everyone on this board goes nuts.
ME TOO !!!!!!!

Old
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

nathan gerbe 2.0

Old
09-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
nathan gerbe 2.0
Gerbe is built like a tank, judging by all the weights rumoured in this thread, the same thing can't be said about Gaudreau.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
zeus3007*

Every team thinks they had the steal of the draft. In fact, I'm going to plug my teams "steal of the 2012 draft". Hard to beat this one, eh?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=89280

5th round. The kid is big, skates well, has good offensive skill, but needs to improve his physical game. Raw, but steal potential.

But seriously, lets revisit this in 4 or 5 years. We may actually have an answer to the "who is the steal of the 2012 draft" question then.

Old
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Add Tony Cameranesi to the small skilled list too.

Quote:
The 5-9, 160-pounder is on this list for one reason and one only: his skating. He is perhaps the best skater in the entire draft with tremendous acceleration, speed and agility. He plays with a high energy level and never stops moving his feet. The explosive little waterbug is going to the University of Minnesota-Duluth and is a draft wildcard for sure, but is someone to watch as he matures and develops. If he can prove he has the sense to go with his wheels, he could get a shot in the big show eventually.
Im sure alot of teams drafted small super skilled players late in the past few years. May even be a somewhat fresh topic for this board.

Last edited by iPunch: 09-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Gaudreau may very well end up being the best US player drafted in 2011. He is a lock for the WJC next year IMO. He'll be introduced to the broader hockey world during the tournament.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:53 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
The Tree was happy.

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
How does he compared to Rocco Grimaldi?

Old
02-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Noori

He has done really well in his rookie season. Everyone ahead of him in scoring is atleast a junior with the lone exception being fellow Flames prospect Bill Arnold who is a sophomore.

He was also one of the youngest guy drafted last year so hopefully he manages to grow a little more. He doesn't need to hit 6 feet or anything, but if can get up to about 5'9," with his skillset and ability, he may well turn into something 5 or 6 years down the road.

With 6 points in his past two game (and this game isn't even up yet), he is certainly starting to take a hold.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Pizza

Watched his game tonight. He and Kreider were the more visible players on the ice. Small, but shifty and fast as hell. He can really fire the puck too. His size may be an issue in reaching the NHL, but this is still a hell of a pick by Calgary.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Ashasx

I think it's pretty impressive what he's been able to do with his size.

He looks like he's 13. Who knows, maybe he's got one growth spurt left.

Old
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Anyone else see this?

Old
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

he looks like he'd get pushed around in peewee hockey.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
herbst20

Last year his line in Dubuque was down right scary. Zemgus Girgensons at center with Gaudreau and Vinny Saponari on the wings. One of the most complete forward lines I have ever seen in the USHL.

The big red head in the picture is Luke Curadi.......he is now at RPI.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
He clearly has the skill, the question is how much his size will hold him back. Players like him have a historically small chance of making the NHL but I wouldn't count him out yet.

Old
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
His dad is around 5'9"
Yeah but his mother is around 6'5".

Closed Thread