HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to SELL imo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2012, 02:48 PM
  #1
FlyerFire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
We need to SELL imo

I know we are probably going to make the playoffs but can we seriously beat Lundquist, Thomas etc. Not this year I dont think. We should try and sell older players, sentiments aside, for picks assets for next year etc. Aim for Suter. Sell Carle. Keep the young guys HERE and not sell them for a playoff run that realistically,this year, will fail. Heck we have a hard time with Winnipeg. Just my thoughts

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  #2
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,812
vCash: 50
Doesn't matter. They won't do it. 2007 was the worst season ever and they were still buying players.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  #3
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
The Flyers didn't sell in that season that shall not be named, so I doubt it. Snyder is too proud.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
  #4
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Snider*

They should really look at selling Carle and Briere if there are good offers about. Carle is going to get paid in the offseason, and he wont be worth the money.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
  #5
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Snider*

They should really look at selling Carle and Briere if there are good offers about. Carle is going to get paid in the offseason, and he wont be worth the money.
Oh you!!!!! My bad on the misspell.

I want to trade Carle so badly it's not even funny. I'd take just a solid defensive stay at home guy.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:56 PM
  #6
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
I am sick of hearing how teams are unbeatable in the playoffs.

Were the Canucks and Capitals unbeatable last year?
Or the Capitals and Sharks the year before?
How about the Bruins and Sharks 3 years ago?

The Bruins are bi polar this season they have ugly slumps and great hot streaks. The Flyers may not even have to play both or one of these teams.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
  #7
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am sick of hearing how teams are unbeatable in the playoffs.

Were the Canucks and Capitals unbeatable last year?
Or the Capitals and Sharks the year before?
How about the Bruins and Sharks 3 years ago?

The Bruins are bi polar this season they have ugly slumps and great hot streaks. The Flyers may not even have to play both or one of these teams.
I agree this has been the most frustrating part about reading this board this season.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
  #8
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 30,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am sick of hearing how teams are unbeatable in the playoffs.

Were the Canucks and Capitals unbeatable last year?
Or the Capitals and Sharks the year before?
How about the Bruins and Sharks 3 years ago?

The Bruins are bi polar this season they have ugly slumps and great hot streaks. The Flyers may not even have to play both or one of these teams.
If think this defensive core as currently constructed can win a Cup good luck with that.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,812
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am sick of hearing how teams are unbeatable in the playoffs.

Were the Canucks and Capitals unbeatable last year?
Or the Capitals and Sharks the year before?
How about the Bruins and Sharks 3 years ago?

The Bruins are bi polar this season they have ugly slumps and great hot streaks. The Flyers may not even have to play both or one of these teams.
Then, what you have is a 2010-mirage when Jaroslav Halak single-handedly took care of the Penguins and Caps for us and do not have a proper evaluation.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
  #10
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Doesn't matter. They won't do it. 2007 was the worst season ever and they were still buying players.
Well, sort of. I mean we did trade Foppa and got back a lot of youth/picks. Also traded Zhitnik for Coburn. I have to give you the fact that we traded for Biron.

Otherwise, the guys we traded for were usually cheaper (like Afanasenkov)

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,812
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Well, sort of. I mean we did trade Foppa and got back a lot of youth/picks. Also traded Zhitnik for Coburn. I have to give you the fact that we traded for Biron.

Otherwise, the guys we traded for were usually cheaper (like Afanasenkov)
They traded for Mike York too, when Randy Robitalle was playing better than him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
  #12
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They traded for Mike York too, when Randy Robitalle was playing better than him.
Yes! Mike York. I remember zis guy. What a year eh.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
  #13
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I agree this has been the most frustrating part about reading this board this season.
Agreed.

Even if the Flyers don't win the cup they are a young team with a lot of potential. We aren't in desperate need of prospects and we will have some cap to play with. Not to mention so many of our young players will certainly benefit from getting some playoff experience.

Tanking now is just stupid.

Another random stat... The year the Flyers made it to the finals against the Hawks the Flyers entered the playoffs with a record over .500 against only 1 of the 7 other Eastern Conference teams (NJ Devils).

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
  #14
Tim Tebow
Registered User
 
Tim Tebow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westeros
Country: United States
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
If think this defensive core as currently constructed can win a Cup good luck with that.
I am not saying this defensive core will win the cup. What I am saying is a playoff team selling will not be progressive. How many teams holding a playoff spot do you see sell and get better from it quickly? There is a reason rebuilding typically takes 3-5 years to truly pay off. Anything the Flyers will get will be a project.

What kind of deranged fan throws in the towel because his team isn't in 1st place? How many championship teams are at the top of the conference?

If the Flyers do sell.

Who do they trade?
Who do they get in return?
How does this return make them one of the best teams in the NHL in the next couple seasons?

The way I see it, by the time any return becomes NHL ready the Flyers are a different team because they will have to find a way to pay Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, Giroux, maybe Hartnell. Possibly other prospects.

it just doesn't make sense.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
  #15
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
What do you think we could get for Carle at the deadline? We won't do it, but I am wondering what his value would be. A 2nd rounder?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  #16
bryzgalovsky*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
yeah we should definitely get rid of matt carle

we'll be much better with

timonen mezsaros
coburn bourdon
lilja gustafsson

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  #17
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,105
vCash: 500
What's there to sell except for Carle? Nothing.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
  #18
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
What do you think we could get for Carle at the deadline? We won't do it, but I am wondering what his value would be. A 2nd rounder?
Emminger went for a first a bunch of years ago, there may be a desperate GM willing to do that, I dunno. He's probably gone UFA anyways in the off season

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
  #19
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,650
vCash: 500
JVR and Carle for Suter, and if Suter re-signs long term, then a 1st is added.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:43 PM
  #20
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
You don't sell when you're in the playoffs and are comprised of mostly young pieces. You just don't buy; or at least you don't buy while giving up anything of significant value.

I will keep saying it....Hal Gill. He should be very cheap, he's a big, physical, D-man that blocks shots and plays PK minutes AKA exactly what we need. Is he anything special? No not at all; far from it. But he can play 13-15 minutes on the bottom pairing, while bringing the little things that we desperately need. All while costing us next to nothing (and almost certainly nothing from the active roster).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
  #21
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,650
vCash: 500
Gill AND Grossman would be nice. I don't care if we lose offense on D, I just want actual better D.


2nd + Wellwood for Grossman. 3rd + Bourdon for Gill. JVR, Carle and Conditional 1st for Suter.

Timonen-Coburn
Suter-Grossman
Gill-Gus
Lilja

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:49 PM
  #22
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Gill AND Grossman would be nice. I don't care if we lose offense on D, I just want actual better D.


2nd + Wellwood for Grossman. 3rd + Bourdon for Gill. JVR, Carle and Conditional 1st for Suter.

Timonen-Coburn
Suter-Grossman
Gill-Gus
Lilja
Why are you willing to give up so much for a UFA defenseman.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:57 PM
  #23
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
yeah we should definitely get rid of matt carle

we'll be much better with

timonen mezsaros
coburn bourdon
lilja gustafsson
By adding a defender who can play in the defensive zone, yes, you are correct. We will be better.

Hall Gill is on his last leg. Go for Allen if you want a defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
  #24
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
You don't sell when you're in the playoffs and are comprised of mostly young pieces. You just don't buy; or at least you don't buy while giving up anything of significant value.

I will keep saying it....Hal Gill. He should be very cheap, he's a big, physical, D-man that blocks shots and plays PK minutes AKA exactly what we need. Is he anything special? No not at all; far from it. But he can play 13-15 minutes on the bottom pairing, while bringing the little things that we desperately need. All while costing us next to nothing (and almost certainly nothing from the active roster).
In the end though, Hall Gill wont fix the mistakes Carle, Meszaros and Coburn are making.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:59 PM
  #25
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see Eric Wellwood helping the Flyers in the next few years. I'd easily trade him.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.