HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does the reffing in the NHL hurt your enthusiasm?

Old
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Does the reffing in the NHL hurt your enthusiasm?

I don't know if something is different this year, but I am getting to the point of not being able to watch games due to the abysmal reffing.

I'm sick of seeing refs "manage" games by balancing out penalties, blowing obvious calls, and having such a disparity between calls that it becomes a joke. There are at least 3 refs in the league that should be replaced.

I have been struggling recently to get into games, because I know that due to the reputation of the flyers, we are going to get the rough end of the stick.

e.g it's not even half way through the game and the flyers have been called for a misconduct, had a penalty on one of their players for getting punched in the face and had a pretty obvious late hit on hartnell after the whistle. I just don't understand how things like this are tolerated.

I don't mind missed calls, because everyone makes mistakes. But i just become so angry at refs trying to even up oppertunities. Anyone else in the same boat.

Edit : cue the "nhl is the toughest sport to ref crap". There is no excuse for the continued performances of the refs over the course of this season. None.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Tim Tebow

I will admit sometimes it feels like the refs are making calls as they are hallucinating on some kind of PCP.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Amateur Hour

Terrible reffing isn't a phenomenon unique to hockey. Shocking, I know.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Terrible reffing isn't a phenomenon unique to hockey. Shocking, I know.
I never implied that it was, but if you want to complain about other sports, go find their forums.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
FlyerFire

I stopped watching todays' game after they botched the first calls. Im done

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Flyerfan4life

im well past you ...

im soo expecting ****** reffing, that when we get an honest game, im truely shocked and stunned.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Its funny the Rangers have THREE powerplay goals so far and at least 2 of them were Terrible calls which resulted in a goal. Its pathetic, theres a reason I dont watch the NBA. I hope I dont have to stop watching the NHL.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Welcome to the new NHL.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Welcome to the new NHL.
I don't even think it's the new nhl thing though. Last year didn't seem half as bad as this one for blown games. At least you used to get 9-10 games before a bad one. Now it seems like 9-10 before you get a good game.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I really wish refs would just err on the side of not making calls... call the obvious penalties only.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:12 PM
JVR21
G

There's nothing better than starting off a game down 1-0 because of a terrible call. It wouldn't be a Flyers game if it was any other way.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:33 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

there's bad reffing in every sport, you get used to it unfortunately

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
There has never been a game played where everyone walked out of the arena believing the refs did a perfect job.

While the Flyers have had powerplays against them than any team in the league (tied with Ottawa), they also have the most powerplays (by more than 30 opportunities). The Flyers also have more powerplays than times short-handed.

Quit blaming the refs for the Flyers' woes. It's embarrassing.

02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
There has never been a game played where everyone walked out of the arena believing the refs did a perfect job.

While the Flyers have had powerplays against them than any team in the league (tied with Ottawa), they also have the most powerplays (by more than 30 opportunities). The Flyers also have more powerplays than times short-handed.

We aren't asking for perfect.

We just ask for no game changing and outrageous calls.

When Sestito gets jumped by 3 Ranger players, takes 30 secs of pummeling before dropping his gloves and get the extra penalty THAT is ****ing outrageous.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Lol, I'm not blaming the flyers woes on the reffing at all. Did you bother to read the OP, or just presume that you knew what was posted.

The reffing has been dreadful across the entire NHL, not just for the flyers, and while the reffing in other sports can be bad, it's usually a blown call, not the refs deciding the game.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Swiper the Fox

officiating sucks

shouldn't be this inconsistent from game to game

you don't see the same crap officiating in other sports from game to game, or i just don't notice it

and get rid of the defensive puck over the boards penalty
stupidiest penalty they created of all time
also, stop calling the tripping penalty and get the other guy for diving at the same time
either it was s fricken trip or it was a dive
make A call on one or the other and be done with it
(it can't be or shouldn't be both)

my rant:ended !!

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Reffing can be bad sometimes. What's worse is the fans' perceptions of reffing. So often, a fans perception of "bad reffing" is just a very homeristic fan. Every single PGT on every single teams' board usually has a fair share of fans just *****ing that the refs ****ed their team over. When it's happening on both sides, it actually sort of assures me that the reffing isn't biased.

It's interesting to me you talk about how ****** it is that refs' "balance penalties out." Ironically, I find the fact that one team got more PP's than the other to be a constant ***** of fans' after their team loses a game. Every fan across every fanbase in this league has become so united in the bashing of referees, they don't even have the chance to satisfy anyone. It's becoming merely "tradition" and until people just accept the reality of both human error and their own biased minds, this little annoyance of "the refs are terrible " after every penalty call with continue.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
officiating sucks

shouldn't be this inconsistent from game to game

you don't see the same crap officiating in other sports from game to game, or i just don't notice it

and get rid of the defensive puck over the boards penalty
stupidiest penalty they created of all time
also, stop calling the tripping penalty and get the other guy for diving at the same time
either it was s fricken trip or it was a dive
make A call on one or the other and be done with it
(it can't be or shouldn't be both)

my rant:ended !!
My guess is you care about this game more than the rest, and that's why you notice it in this game/it pains you more.

That's the reason with me, at least.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
We do have the most PP's in the league by a wide margin..... There are good refs out there and there are bad refs. It happens in every league

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
My guess is you care about this game more than the rest, and that's why you notice it in this game/it pains you more.

That's the reason with me, at least.
Not here, I follow soccer and Rugby just as closely, and while some refs have shockers in each game, it's very rare. The NHL seems to have problems every night in this regard, so much so ,that when the whistles are put away everyone comments on how good they have been. It's a bit of a joke.

I understand the whole homerism comment, but it's just not the case. I'm fed up of watching games decided by the refs. There is no doubt that penalties are "evened" up over the duration of the game. It's just plain to see.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
mirimon

I want to see games with few Power Plays, so the Flyers games this (and past) season(s) are a bit frustrating. It would help if our players could be a bit more disciplined though. Play tough, but stay within the rules. If we start to do that and the refs continues to give us penalties, then we can ***** about the refs. The Sestito call today was a bit strange, but he's sort of dug his own grave with all the yapping he does on the ice.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I was at the game, and groaned as soon as they announced Chris Lee was working the game. Sure enough...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
FlyerFire

Horrible ref jerk job today. Certainly not the reason we lost but it certainly led to their momentum gain

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
We aren't asking for perfect.

We just ask for no game changing and outrageous calls.

When Sestito gets jumped by 3 Ranger players, takes 30 secs of pummeling before dropping his gloves and get the extra penalty THAT is ****ing outrageous.
What happened with Sestito happens to every team in the league. It happens more often to players have have poor reputations and the Flyers aren't unique in dressing these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol, I'm not blaming the flyers woes on the reffing at all. Did you bother to read the OP, or just presume that you knew what was posted.

The reffing has been dreadful across the entire NHL, not just for the flyers, and while the reffing in other sports can be bad, it's usually a blown call, not the refs deciding the game.
From your OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I have been struggling recently to get into games, because I know that due to the reputation of the flyers, we are going to get the rough end of the stick.

e.g it's not even half way through the game and the flyers have been called for a misconduct, had a penalty on one of their players for getting punched in the face and had a pretty obvious late hit on hartnell after the whistle. I just don't understand how things like this are tolerated.
The bold is ********. To reiterate what I posted above, the Flyers have had more than 30 more powerplays than the team with the 2nd most powerplays (Detroit). If we're going to rant about why the Flyers are penalized so much, what would the other 29 teams' fan bases think about why the Flyers are given so many powerplays?

Blaming the refs is essentially making an excuse. You normally don't make excuses if you're winning. Bad calls happen every game. Some have advocated that the refs should put their whistles away, but then the refs end up letting penalties go.

Sestito takes dumb penalties and he'll also be called for some things that other players will get a pass on. He also draws a lot penalties. It's the price you pay for dressing **** disturbers.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:57 PM
MsWoof

It's been brutal around the league. There's a reason why they asked McCreary and Fraser to stick around longer than they wanted to. The non call on Giroux last week and Corey Perry the other day were awful. Hebert, Auger and Lee are hideous but who is coming up behind them?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote