HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Matrix78

vCash: 500
I have a question :

If the NBA is coming back to Seattle next year, and if the NHL would do the same, would it be possible that both team play in the Key Arena or it could be a problem (because they need to change the configuration of the building) ?

Old
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
you mean the links in 1 post? You kinda lost me there?
Yeah. News updates in one post.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Yeah. News updates in one post.
okay thanks for the heads up.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
Absolutely. Even if I think the Quebec bid is on top of the list, I strongly believe this is a way for Quebecor to put pressure on the NHL by raising expectations. It's part of the negociation
Fan 590 is not part of the Quebecor empire...

Old
02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Fan 590 is not part of the Quebecor empire...
I know, I was talking about Sunmedia and TVA sport (+ Journal de Quebec)

Old
02-11-2012, 11:55 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
I have a question :

If the NBA is coming back to Seattle next year, and if the NHL would do the same, would it be possible that both team play in the Key Arena or it could be a problem (because they need to change the configuration of the building) ?
Key already is in basketball mode, more likely I don't see hockey going there, the whole point of why Bennett took the Sonics out of there is why the Sonics had to vacate the building in '78-79 for renovations to the entire Seattle Center complex, bc as part of the move by Bennett, he had the rights to the Storm (WNBA), which were also sold to local interests now known as Force 10 Hoops, LLC, which bought the franchise in 2008, from Bennett's Basketball Club of Seattle, I believe as well that the University of Seattle Redhawks, who are joining the WAC in 2012-13 ALSO use Key as its home for basketball.... Also, SC is on the register of historic sites, so any changes to the physical capacity ie an ice plant, just like being awarded a franchise would have to be approved, and Stern has said there won't be an issue restoring the NBA TO Seattle, if that's the direction it goes.... What forced Bennett's hand is much the same as what forced Karmanos to land his franchise in Carolina, that there really was no option, that unlike TNSE and Winnipeg did when replacing Winnipeg Arena w/ MTSC, AND THAT'S also a reason why the Thunderbirds went outside of King County and Seattle, add in the fact after imploding the Kingdome, and replacing that facility w/ 2 arenas,(SAFECO/Centurylink) instead of one, and the moritorium that the state of Washington decided after that to not fund any new stadiums. I think the focus since Bennett's exodus to OKC, is to find a way to restore the Sonics tradition, not the NHL... Key, is as equivalent today to when the Original Jets arrived from Winnipeg and were placed at the then AWA, now US Airways Center, in Phoenix, no one knew Glendale even existed, much less was an option until U of P Stadium (AZ Cardinals) ARRIVED from ASU.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
I have a question :

The KeyArena is owned by the City of Seattle (CoS). Hansen's new arena deal is with the CoS. Part of the benefit of dealing with one city only is being able to use maximum leverage in negotiations.

Hansen has the leverage to demand a sweetheart deal from the CoS for his NBA & NHL use of the KeyArena. Conversely, the CoS has the leverage to demand "something" as well for willingly facilitating new competition for the KeyArena.
Sources close to the ongoing arena negotiations suggest the future of KeyArena is a vital component of any deal.

The City-owned building, on the Seattle Center grounds, would stand to lose significant business if a new arena is constructed in either Seattle or Bellevue, and city leaders are carefully weighing that factor.

That’s part of the reason why negotiations have included potentially using the Key as a temporary home for an NBA or NHL franchise, or both, while a new arena is built.

02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
I have a question :

Both teams can easily play at Key Arena. The NBA Sonics and WHL Thunderbirds shared the building from its opening in 1995 until the Showare Center was opened in Kent back in 2009.

The issue with Key Arena for hockey are the view obstructed seating due to the ice configuration which slashes seating capacity.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Key already is in basketball mode, more likely I don't see hockey going there, the whole point of why Bennett took the Sonics out of there is why the Sonics had to vacate the building in '78-79 for renovations to the entire Seattle Center comple....... etc, etc,
Wow, where do I start?

- Key Arena is the same as it always has been, including 1995-2009 when it was the home to a hockey team.

- Bennett, an OKC guy, moved the Sonics to OKC because he wanted an NBA team there, not in Seattle. He had no intention whatsoever of keeping the team in Seattle.

- The Sonics played in the Kingdome in the late 70's, early 80's because they were averaging over 20,000 fans a game, way more than the puny Seattle Center Coliseum could hold.

- Key Arena opened in 1995. The roof support structures are about the only thing left from the original coliseum

- The Thunderbirds still play in King County

- the stadium moratorium is only with the govt. of the city of Seattle, and does not apply to profitable (for the city) ventures

Old
02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Wow, where do I start?

- Key Arena is the same as it always has been, including 1995-2009 when it was the home to a hockey team.

- Bennett, an OKC guy, moved the Sonics to OKC because he wanted an NBA team there, not in Seattle. He had no intention whatsoever of keeping the team in Seattle.

- The Sonics played in the Kingdome in the late 70's, early 80's because they were averaging over 20,000 fans a game, way more than the puny Seattle Center Coliseum could hold.

- Key Arena opened in 1995. The roof support structures are about the only thing left from the original coliseum

- The Thunderbirds still play in King County

- the stadium moratorium is only with the govt. of the city of Seattle, and does not apply to profitable (for the city) ventures
A little far fetched possibility, but would be smart on the NHL's part if we get the Coyotes. Play at Key Arena, but, have 5 to 6 games, like opening night and when the Canucks come to Seattle, at Safeco field with the roof closed. So that way you would get more revenue to make up for the 11k seat Key Arena.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
A little far fetched possibility, but would be smart on the NHL's part if we get the Coyotes. Play at Key Arena, but, have 5 to 6 games, like opening night and when the Canucks come to Seattle, at Safeco field with the roof closed. So that way you would get more revenue to make up for the 11k seat Key Arena.
That's a great idea. Have a few games in the Tacoma Dome as well and the average attendance could end up being good.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Both teams can easily play at Key Arena. The NBA Sonics and WHL Thunderbirds shared the building from its opening in 1995 until the Showare Center was opened in Kent back in 2009.

The issue with Key Arena for hockey are the view obstructed seating due to the ice configuration which slashes seating capacity.
ok thanks !

Old
02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
That's a great idea. Have a few games in the Tacoma Dome as well and the average attendance could end up being good.
I think the NHLPA or the NHL would never allow 3 home arenas. If they're going to use the T Dome at all, might as well use it the whole season.
That's not totally a bad idea, since, if the NBA does come back next year or at the same time the NHL comes to town, I'm sure the NHL, will be 2nd banana behind the NBA team for game dates, etc. If they used the Tacoma Dome instead, for 2 seasons, they wouldn't have to worry about that.
Kind of changing the subject, but I am not thinking the NBA is just around the corner, even say the arena is a done deal, by the end of May or early June. I don't think the Maloofs want to sell the team and their first choice is somewhere in California, Anaheim or San Jose (even though I think that would be a failure on the NBA's part).
If the Kings come to Seattle, it will be more or less a last resort thing, for the Maloofs, not for the NBA, but I don't think the Maloofs are wild about the PNW. Kind of like the Coyotes going to Quebec City.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Gilligans Island

Sorry for being lazy - I'm sure this has been posted in this thread or the prior 2.

What's Key Arena's hockey capacity and how many seats are obstructed?

Old
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:

A reason why Barry Ackerley, should be the most loved man among hockey fans in Winnipeg and QC now, GRR!
For those that aren't in the know, that's the late Sonics owner, who deliberately mandated that the rebuilt Key Arena be made too small for an NHL team, to keep out competition.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Sorry for being lazy - I'm sure this has been posted in this thread or the prior 2.

What's Key Arena's hockey capacity and how many seats are obstructed?
Just under 15,000 for hockey with somewhere between 9,500-10,500 seats with no viewing obstructions and another 1,000 or so with minimal viewing obstructions.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I think the NHLPA or the NHL would never allow 3 home arenas.
All three venues are within 25 minutes of Sea-Tac Airport, it shouldn't be an issue.

I can understand opposition to playing in Portland or Vancouver for multiple games, but all three venues are in the area and convenient travel for both home and away teams.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Just under 15,000 for hockey with somewhere between 9,500-10,500 seats with no viewing obstructions and another 1,000 or so with minimal viewing obstructions.
Let's go with 15K, then how about the other 3,500 - 4,500 (using your #s). Are those seats obstructed?

Old
02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Let's go with 15K, then how about the other 3,500 - 4,500 (using your #s). Are those seats obstructed?
That is correct...
“I think it could work. It could be a good temporary building,” says Don Levin, who has been mentioned as a potential Seattle NHL Owner. But he acknowledges the challenges, “There are only 9,000 non-obstructed seats. Everything else is obstructed view. I’m not sure you sell them for much.”
Of course, Levin may be exaggerating a little on the numbers since he's in a conflict of interest when talking about Chris Hansen's bid since Hansen did not include Levin as part of his partnership.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
That is correct...
“I think it could work. It could be a good temporary building,” says Don Levin, who has been mentioned as a potential Seattle NHL Owner. But he acknowledges the challenges, “There are only 9,000 non-obstructed seats. Everything else is obstructed view. I’m not sure you sell them for much.”
Of course, Levin may be exaggerating a little on the numbers since he's in a conflict of interest when talking about Chris Hansen's bid since Levin is not his NHL partner.
Thanks.

Is there any good mass transit options to Tacoma Dome? It could make sense to split the home games between Key and Tacoma - sure, maybe play a few games at Safeco.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Thanks.

Is there any good mass transit options to Tacoma Dome? It could make sense to split the home games between Key and Tacoma - sure, maybe play a few games at Safeco.
Don't believe so.

But I'm going to hazard to guess that if the City of Bellevue was the front runner for the new site (which it is not) then the Tacoma Dome would have been the favorite as the temporary venue (which it doesn't seem to be at this point). The City of Seattle is cornering the market in my opinion, for both the future home and the temporary home, for both the potential NBA & NHL teams.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Thanks.

There is light rail that goes from Seattle to Tacoma, but this usually runs mainly commute hours ie you would need to find another way back. They do shuttles for Seahawks games, I'm guessing the same could be done here

Old
02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Northender

I heard the guy who is interested in bringing the NBA back to Seattle was totally surprised when someone brought up the NHL to him. It wasn't even on his radar.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
I heard the guy who is interested in bringing the NBA back to Seattle was totally surprised when someone brought up the NHL to him. It wasn't even on his radar.
Hey, no dog in the fight here. I like the idea of QC, because it is an awesome old city, and they do love their hockey up there. Also, I like the idea of Seattle more because of a few guys who post here - it has educated me about the history of NW US hockey.

That said, there is one thing that needs to be said in reply to Northender's post:

Please give us a link or supply the full citation from your source. It will educate us all better.

Thanks.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
Who Chris Hansen? Not sure how that is because according to the mayor, he was told the the group would want both NHL and nba

Closed Thread