HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I liked the way Murray played last night. I was a bit disappointed with his performance in the WJC, especially as the competition got tougher, it felt like he was a bit overwhelmed against the best juniors in the world. But, against the Giants, he looked very comfortable and capable. He played a lot of minutes against Gallagher, who had a lot more time and space when Murray wasn't on the ice. I would of liked to see Murray take a few chances and show some spontaneity but that doesn't seem to be his style at all.

I'd be more than happy with Murray on the Habs but I wouldn't take him Top 5 in this years draft not only based on need but also I think we could do better with some of the other players available.
Murray is probably the safest pick after Yakupov. Galchenyuk Forsberg Trouba Dumba and Grigorenko are all more risky picks.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Sam I Am

The more I think about it, the more I like Alex Galchenyuk.

The Habs are not going to be drafting 1st overall so forget about Yakupov. If Galchenyuk is still on the boards when the Habs pick, they should grab him. He is a tantalizing prospect with a very high ceiling. A huge talent with, from what I read, an indomitable will to win.

If I'm Trevor Timmons, this is my list going in to the draft:

(Yakupov)
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Reinhart
Trouba
Dumba
Murray

Dunno where to slot in Morgan Rielly as I've never seen him play.

Last edited by Sam I Am: 02-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like Alex Galchenyuk.

The Habs are not going to be drafting 1st overall so forget about Yakupov. If Galchenyuk is still on the boards when the Habs pick, they should grab him. He is a tantalizing prospect with a very high ceiling.
I'm sure the Habs feel that way too,but the way they are playing it's more likely we will be picking around 8-12 so probably BPA again hopefully it's not.I know that's a sad outlook but for once drafting in the top five would be great.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I'm sure the Habs feel that way too,but the way they are playing it's more likely we will be picking around 8-12 so probably BPA again hopefully it's not.I know that's a sad outlook but for once drafting in the top five would be great.
It would be sad to pick 8-12. If so, my list is:

Anybody in my top 9 (above)
Faksa
Ceci
Pouliot
Wilson
Hertl
Pearson
Zharkov

Old
02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Who knows how they feel? They might like Grigorenko or Murray? A lot of people do...

Old
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Meh, if we're running the tables for the rest of the season, I might consider going for Collberg or Sissons. Would rather trade down for the latter, but I'm not sure how far we can go before he gets snagged. Looks like the type of guy a team with a contending core would gladly add.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Murray is probably the safest pick after Yakupov. Galchenyuk Forsberg Trouba Dumba and Grigorenko are all more risky picks.
For sure, but I'd be willing to go for a player with a higher risk/reward ratio. Of the players you mentioned I'd probably take Murray after all of them except he'd be in a tie with Dumba.

It wouldn't surprise me if he slid down to 6th to 8th spot in the draft come draft day and if we picked him then I'd be a happy camper.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

If we are drafting out of the Trouba/Dumba/Murray/Galchenyuk/Yakupov/Grigorenko range we should trade down and get a D like Pouliot and a center like Gaunce.

EDIT: Forgot Forsberg !

Old
02-11-2012, 12:18 PM
habsfan#1

I hope it will be galchenyuk

Old
02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan#1 View Post
I hope it will be galchenyuk
Well according to some Timmins insider here, we're not even looking at Grigorenko because he is a risky pick. How do you think they feel about Galchenyuk?

I honestly doubt it's true though.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well according to some Timmins insider here, we're not even looking at Grigorenko because he is a risky pick. How do you think they feel about Galchenyuk?

I honestly doubt it's true though.
I don't want to be that guy but... Source ? I would highly doubt that is true. Considering that is EXACLTY what our team needs. And I trust timmins to make the right pick... He always does..

Old
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Baxter View Post
I don't want to be that guy but... Source ? I would highly doubt that is true. Considering that is EXACLTY what our team needs. And I trust timmins to make the right pick... He always does..
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post43631537

I know, that was my first reaction.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:

Wow... Didn't know that High Profile guys like him posted here.... Well I hope Timmins changes his mind. We don't need another D-Man.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Its the guy's opinion no? Where does he say thats what he has been told?

Old
02-11-2012, 03:04 PM
goforit

Hi guys! Been a long time since my last post, but I've been thinking about some things lately and I'd like to have your opinion on it.

On the 2010 draft, Ottawa traded their 1st round pick to St. Louis for Rundblad because (I assume) they thought there was no better prospect than him at this spot.

Do you think that if the Habs keep playing ''good'' hockey like in the 3 last games and we end up with a pick around the 8th-10th. I imagine all the top forwards will be gone at this spot. Then, we pick one of the offensive d-man. We already have some in the pipe and we lack great forwards... Maybe the Habs could trade a d-man (say Beaulieu if they think the one they just pick is a better prospect) to a team choosing around the 15th spot and pick a forward. I think this is the best way we can get another 1st in this year draft because I really doubt Gauthier would trade one of our signed player.

If we can add a 2nd in this type of deal (this draft is said to be weak after the top 10), this could be even better. I'm sure Beaulieu has a good value, so it could be possible.

Would like to know if some people know some things about Hertl too? I've seen him play a bit at the WJC and I really liked what I saw. The guy has smooth hands, good hockey sense and size, but I don't know if he use it.

I know he's high on the European list but nobody seems to talk about him. I think Collberg or him could be available at the 15th spot.

Thanks, and excuse my english!

Old
02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

2 reasons why Hertl isn't ranked really high:
1. He plays in Czech.
2. His ceiling isn't perceived as high as others.

He looks so much like Pleky about 7 years ago. So he's already ahead of Plekanec when he was drafted. To me, Hertl is a very smart 2-way player with good mobility/above average skating, good hands and very good vision. I don't think he's gonna be a legit 1st liner because he doesn't look as creative as other eligibles in the O zone, but he has all the tools to be like Plekanec.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Hi guys! Been a long time since my last post, but I've been thinking about some things lately and I'd like to have your opinion on it.

On the 2010 draft, Ottawa traded their 1st round pick to St. Louis for Rundblad because (I assume) they thought there was no better prospect than him at this spot.

Do you think that if the Habs keep playing ''good'' hockey like in the 3 last games and we end up with a pick around the 8th-10th. I imagine all the top forwards will be gone at this spot. Then, we pick one of the offensive d-man. We already have some in the pipe and we lack great forwards... Maybe the Habs could trade a d-man (say Beaulieu if they think the one they just pick is a better prospect) to a team choosing around the 15th spot and pick a forward. I think this is the best way we can get another 1st in this year draft because I really doubt Gauthier would trade one of our signed player.

If we can add a 2nd in this type of deal (this draft is said to be weak after the top 10), this could be even better. I'm sure Beaulieu has a good value, so it could be possible.

Would like to know if some people know some things about Hertl too? I've seen him play a bit at the WJC and I really liked what I saw. The guy has smooth hands, good hockey sense and size, but I don't know if he use it.

I know he's high on the European list but nobody seems to talk about him. I think Collberg or him could be available at the 15th spot.

Thanks, and excuse my english!
Nope, no way I trade Nathan for the #15th pick. He was ranked way higher than where we picked him and I consider him a steal. Beaulieu has the tools and the size at 6'3 to be better than Subban who is my favorite player in the world.

Why shouldn't Gauthier trade one of our signed players for a first? See, therein lies the problem.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:25 PM
OneSharpMarble

Even with a draft pick around 8 there is guys like Girgensons or Collberg. We don't need another dman.

Edit: Ottawa ties it, I hope this game goes to OT.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Even with a draft pick around 8 there is guys like Girgensons or Collberg. We don't need another dman.

Edit: Ottawa ties it, I hope this game goes to OT.
I'm a BPA fan. No way we take Collberg or Girgensons (based on what I read about them, they are great but not as valuable as the top d-amn in the draft) if a possible top pairing d-man is available.

And to add to my previous post, Beaulieu, Collberg and Hertl were name I had in my head, but it was more example than anything else. You can put other names in my post.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I'm a BPA fan. No way we take Collberg or Girgensons (based on what I read about them, they are great but not as valuable as the top d-amn in the draft) if a possible top pairing d-man is available.

And to add to my previous post, Beaulieu, Collberg and Hertl were name I had in my head, but it was more example than anything else. You can put other names in my post.
BPA is flawed since you don't know who the best player will be. Look at Esposito, everyone wanted him bad but he fell for a reason. Unless there is a clear cut winner (which is usually only in the top 3 picks) you can draft by need IMO.

Between the top 3 and say 15th there isn't that big of a talent dropoff.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
BPA is flawed since you don't know who the best player will be. Look at Esposito, everyone wanted him bad but he fell for a reason. Unless there is a clear cut winner (which is usually only in the top 3 picks) you can draft by need IMO.

Exactly !

So damn tired of people talking about that as if that was obvious. Every team has their own different ways of seeing things, perception, needs... if, for example, the team needs a potential no 1 center, their 'BPA' list will then be influenced. Easy.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
brunosevigny

IMO there is a clear cut after the 9 first picks right. Since I don't think there is a clean cut between the forwards and the Dmans among those, I would definitely favor the forwards. Here is my top 9, in order I would pick them.

1- Yakupov
2- Grigorenko
3- Galchenyuk
4- Forsberg
5- Murray
6- Dumba
7- Trouba
8- Reinhart
9- Rielly

After that, I think you can go by needs and maybe trade down if you think your guy maybe available later.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
brunosevigny

But I would totally be favorable to trade up in the top 4 to land one of the forwards (If we are not already top 4 haha...)

Old
02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Exactly !

So damn tired of people talking about that as if that was obvious. Every team has their own different ways of seeing things, perception, needs... if, for example, the team needs a potential no 1 center, their 'BPA' list will then be influenced. Easy.
I think BPA means the consensus best player available. All the scouting services and media agree that such and such player is better than this other player. Of course I believe the term is only really appropriate for the 1st round or so, as the top 30-50 players are much more heavily scouted.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Roulin

Quote:

No, I am absolutely confident Timmins and the staff will have preferences, regardless of position played. To say 3rd and 15th are interchangeable, so you might as well rank all the centers at the top, sounds ridiculous to me. Murray and Girgensons are not interchangeable, any more than Jack Johnson and Ryan O'Marra were.

As far as the depth of elite talent, every draft is different. In 2006 there was a big dropoff after 5. In 2004 it was after 2. In 2005 and 2007 there was a huge dropoff after 1. In 2003 it was sprinkled throughout the 1st round. Looking at past drafts, I don't see anything that suggests 3 as the magic number.

Closed Thread