HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to SELL imo

Old
02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Any team has a chance come playoff time. If the Flyers think they are going to make the playoffs they should not be sellers.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see Eric Wellwood helping the Flyers in the next few years. I'd easily trade him.
Eh, I like Wellwood. Has the highest ppg on the Phantoms. Can play pk and score points. The only way he wont play on the Flyers is because of the forward depth. If he goes to another team, I can see him playing on their 3rd line getting around 15 minutes a night and playing the pk.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see Eric Wellwood helping the Flyers in the next few years. I'd easily trade him.
I'm with you, he hasn't cracked the lineup yet I don't think he will with the Flyers. I'm not for selling at the deadline either. We still sit 4th in the conference. Cups aren't won in February. I really think Grossman is a great player that we should add at the deadline. Physical shutdown guy who we won't ask at all to put up points.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, I like Wellwood. Has the highest ppg on the Phantoms. Can play pk and score points. The only way he wont play on the Flyers is because of the forward depth. If he goes to another team, I can see him playing on their 3rd line getting around 15 minutes a night and playing the pk.
Basically Nodl and the Canes.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not saying he can't contribute at the NHL level, I'm saying for the Flyers. You touched on that with the forward depth. That's why I am saying we should use him as a trade chip, both for his benefit and ours.

02-11-2012, 03:06 PM
DUHockey9

Just heard something interesting from my friend at the game. Apparently Snider wants a d-man now.

Here's my post in the "Acquiring a defenseman" thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=988

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Just heard something interesting from my friend at the game. Apparently Snider wants a d-man now.

Friend close to the team? Or was Snider just yelling about it that loudly?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Friend close to the team? Or was Snider just yelling about it that loudly?
My friend was in the suite immediately next to Snider. I'd imagine it wasn't hard to hear him. You can see how he close he was from those pictures.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
JonnyGaloshes

** takes out crystal ball **

Rangers are peaking too early. They will pull a Phillies and lose in the first round.

Stay pat or add a cheap d man. Bryz will come away from this flu with a new perspective and turn his game around.

JVR will come back at full strength and be the best forward in the league heading into the playoffs.

Much awaits this team.

So it is written.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Damaged Goods

You only trade Carle if you plan on picking up 2 dmen (one to replace him and another one to bump one of the rookies to the 7th slot).

Does Carle's familiarity with the team make him a better fit than Visnovsky, Beauchemin or Zidlicky arriving here late in the season? I don't know.

The Flyers have a 1st, a 2nd (Los Angeles) and two 3rds in this upcoming draft (SJS).

By dealing Carle, the Flyers would have close to $8M in cap space (or more -- not sure how the LTIR credits grow) to work with if they shuffle a couple of other players around, which means they could absorb a couple big cap hits. If you wanted to get really drastic, you could probably remake the entire defense by dealing Carle and the 2nd or two 3rds. That's a risky move so late in the season, but they might need it.

Timonen-Coburn
Beauchemin-Zidlicky
Meszaros-Gill/Allen

Visnovsky is also an option because he has a $5.6 M cap hit that Anaheim may be eager to move. But he only has a $3M salary next year, which could make him attractive to a cap team during the summer, giving you a chance to recoup a draft pick.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

I can't see the photos on my BlackBerry but I was just coming here to say I bet Snider is going to have another knee jerk reaction.

As far as the dmen are concerned, sure there are issues but who's going to teach the forwards how to play defense? When you're relying on 2 rookies to be your most defensively reliable guys you have a big problem.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

Oooh wow. You wrote that just as I was writing my post about possibly acquiring multiple defensemen. Maybe they will go for it.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I can't see the photos on my BlackBerry but I was just coming here to say I bet Snider is going to have another knee jerk reaction.

As far as the dmen are concerned, sure there are issues but who's going to teach the forwards how to play defense? When you're relying on 2 rookies to be your most defensively reliable guys you have a big problem.
How many reliable defensemen do they have right now with Pronger hurt, Carle struggling to hang onto the puck and two rookies?

Old
02-11-2012, 03:21 PM
IceHot

we could be sellers that get better

We could be sellers that get better in a different aspect now but much better into the future with those moves.
Something that helps our needs or opens up moves that will address our needs while not taking away anything but a little depth which we have a luxury of.
Example an offer of Briere or JVR and Carle (if we can't sign him) for a solid defender and a role player might even us out now or make us slightly better, but open up room for a deal on another defender that can improve or put us in a different aspect then where we are now. A move that can make us better not worse now and even much better in the future to come.
Also look at the coaching strategy something must be wrong, perhaps a need for a new assistant coach????? I don't know, because I don't get to watch enough games.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:33 PM
healthyscratch

JvR is off the table until he comes back healthy for a long stretch, which probably means he can't be traded this season. And what team in their right mind will trade for, and give anything of value for a 34 year old winger with 3 years left of a $6.5m per cap hit?!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:33 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
How many reliable defensemen do they have right now with Pronger hurt, Carle struggling to hang onto the puck and two rookies?
What I'm saying is the d is a probelm from the dmen to the forwards. It's partly about the system that's all about offense. You look at Jagr, Briere who suck at d and Roo who tries but is pretty bad at it. It's a problem for everyone when Hartnell, Read, Talbot and Couturier are seemingly the only guys that can play solid d as forwards.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
What I'm saying is the d is a probelm from the dmen to the forwards. It's partly about the system that's all about offense. You look at Jagr, Briere who suck at d and Roo who tries but is pretty bad at it. It's a problem for everyone when Hartnell, Read, Talbot and Couturier are seemingly the only guys that can play solid d as forwards.
I agree that it's an issue, but I think we are going to have to live with it. Are they going to replace Jagr, Briere and Giroux with better defensive forwards? Our roster players at forward are basically locked in place for the next few years. They are going to have to make up for it with a deeper defensive corps. There is certainly room to improve on the back end and roster spots to be used.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

That is some eklund quality info right there. Just kidding, sounds like your boy knows whats up.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Brozgalov

I think they should consider trading for a defensemen like Gleason, or anyone with veteran presence and size (clearing the porch etc). Right now we look like we are a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Players are playing worse than they would with some confidence behind them and a Gleason/Gill would bring that.

That said, I think the real goal should be to somehow get Weber in the off season. I know the odds aren't for us there, but he is the true successor to Pronger on this team. He may not have the veteran presence just yet, but he is a major factor. Realistically I think it would be dumb for Pronger to come back after all this. He has accomplished everything there is to accomplish in this league and it's not worth the risk. That said, you will always be left guessing as to whether he will be back because they can't go right out and say hes done forever. Basically he'd have to retire and then we are paying for him.

So how do you fix the team? You aim high for Weber but only in the off season. Don't dare trade offensive talent for him now, when we can retain them in the offseason hopefully.

Other notables that I would like to see go... Briere (love the guy, but honestly doesn't have it anymore and his lack of size just doesn't work... that and he should be huge in this current system, but he isnt...), Bobrovsky (I honestly think Bryz is coming around and will be the #1 easy soon... IMO sell Bob high because we can't keep him anyway), Carle.. (obvious reasons, although I like him too), Read... (yes shocker but we have enough talent offensively and he plays like Briere to me, he chips in those odd goals but other than that isn't much of a factor, replace him with a vet like a Rupp or something)

/endrant

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
PJStock*

Sell off this whole garbage team other than Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds. They won't make the playoffs, book it.

And anyone thinking that a Gleason/Gill type will fix this team, it won't... they are simply too young, and their system is out of wack with too much new personnel. Laviolette still thinks there are 2 way players like Richards/Carter/Gagne to get by defensive breakdowns... well there aren't... and if he keeps pushing them to play the run and gun style, they will keep getting embarassed. This team needs to sell off some of the veterans, and actually rebuild. Bring in a new coach that will be more defensive minded, and build from the goalie out with the few young players we have.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I think they should consider trading for a defensemen like Gleason, or anyone with veteran presence and size (clearing the porch etc). Right now we look like we are a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Players are playing worse than they would with some confidence behind them and a Gleason/Gill would bring that.

That said, I think the real goal should be to somehow get Weber in the off season. I know the odds aren't for us there, but he is the true successor to Pronger on this team. He may not have the veteran presence just yet, but he is a major factor. Realistically I think it would be dumb for Pronger to come back after all this. He has accomplished everything there is to accomplish in this league and it's not worth the risk. That said, you will always be left guessing as to whether he will be back because they can't go right out and say hes done forever. Basically he'd have to retire and then we are paying for him.

So how do you fix the team? You aim high for Weber but only in the off season. Don't dare trade offensive talent for him now, when we can retain them in the offseason hopefully.

Other notables that I would like to see go... Briere (love the guy, but honestly doesn't have it anymore and his lack of size just doesn't work... that and he should be huge in this current system, but he isnt...), Bobrovsky (I honestly think Bryz is coming around and will be the #1 easy soon... IMO sell Bob high because we can't keep him anyway), Carle.. (obvious reasons, although I like him too), Read... (yes shocker but we have enough talent offensively and he plays like Briere to me, he chips in those odd goals but other than that isn't much of a factor, replace him with a vet like a Rupp or something)

/endrant
Except he's actually good defensively? It would be stupid for The Flyers to trade Read, 900 thousand for three years, can play anywhere in the lineup, and kills penalties.

For a team always against the cap The Flyers that's very valuable.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Akeson is producing at a higher ppg pace then Wellwood. I see a couple guys cracking the roster over him just because they are better suited (Akeson for his offense and Holmstrom or Testwuide for there defense/toughness).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am not saying this defensive core will win the cup. What I am saying is a playoff team selling will not be progressive. How many teams holding a playoff spot do you see sell and get better from it quickly? There is a reason rebuilding typically takes 3-5 years to truly pay off. Anything the Flyers will get will be a project.

What kind of deranged fan throws in the towel because his team isn't in 1st place? How many championship teams are at the top of the conference?

If the Flyers do sell.

Who do they trade?
Who do they get in return?
How does this return make them one of the best teams in the NHL in the next couple seasons?

The way I see it, by the time any return becomes NHL ready the Flyers are a different team because they will have to find a way to pay Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, Giroux, maybe Hartnell. Possibly other prospects.

it just doesn't make sense.
I dont want to sell, I just dont want to buy and make a knee jerk reaction at the deadline. I want them gearing up for 2013, I was expecting this team to struggle for a playoff position this year. They have exceeded my expectations so far. If they are going to make a move I would like them to do it during free agency.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:14 PM
DUHockey9

I'm starting to get annoyed at people still discussing Gleason. He just signed an extension. The likelihood of him getting traded now is minuscule. It would require VERY large overpayment, or the ability to acquire a true impact player (see Setoguchi for Burns) for Gleason to be moved now. Players don't sign just to be traded, nor do GMs sign just so they can trade someone (unless it's something like a Turris situation). This isn't the NBA.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:07 PM
PJStock*

Just wondering, after the recent comments he has made, would you guys be open to trading Timonen away? Perhaps he wants one or two more shots at the Cup, and he is realizing he won't get it in Philly?

Say a contender in the west, a San Jose or maybe even Nashville, was offering a 1st rounder and a blue chip d-man prospect, would you accept the offer?

I would be tempted to. Mainly, because Timonen will be gone by the time this team is a real contender. Let's not fool ourselves, Hall Gill will not change the dynamics of this team. Neither will this years draft... So I think the best option would be to restock again on assets, draft a few d-men, perhaps find a new coach, and build from the goalie crease out.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote