HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

GDT: Columbus vs. Tampa Bay 1/13/06

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 10:12 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee
Anyone see Hulse start in place of Z at the start of the 2nd period? He was quickly off the ice but methinks old GG trying was trying to send a message.
He wasn't starting Hulse, Hulse jus came out of the penalty box. He still had like a second left on his penalty and jus came out.

Old
01-14-2006, 07:51 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubstar
Just so you all know...he is LAST in the league in +/-.

DEAD LAST. That means you SUCK on D. Period.

Oh...sorry again....stats dont count.

Sorry.

Man, shut up about the +/- thing, it really bugs me when people whine about stupid things like this. I hate that stat, its such a dumb stat, by the way mr whiner, did you notice there is only 1 freakin player that is in the plus range on the jackets? There are 9 players in the double digits for -, Berard is going to have a high -/+ in the minus range because he will get thrown out there on plenty of occasions to jump start the offense from the blueline. He logs 22+ minutes a game, he is bound to be on the ice for one or two of the goals against. 1 man can't stop 3 forwards and 2 defenseman from coming in and creating chances...The +/- stat is retarded mostly because if a guy goes off on a line change and just jumps on, he is counted as the player on the ice when a goal is scored against. Now all of a sudden he is a -1, Berard given his handicap is pretty decent from what i have seen around the NHL in terms of teams in the same winning percentage as us. It is soo easy to focus on the negative and pick out certain players and whine about them, it is classier to focus on the positives and build on that.

Old
01-14-2006, 08:07 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Man, shut up about the +/- thing, it really bugs me when people whine about stupid things like this. I hate that stat, its such a dumb stat, by the way mr whiner, did you notice there is only 1 freakin player that is in the plus range on the jackets? There are 9 players in the double digits for -, Berard is going to have a high -/+ in the minus range because he will get thrown out there on plenty of occasions to jump start the offense from the blueline. He logs 22+ minutes a game, he is bound to be on the ice for one or two of the goals against. 1 man can't stop 3 forwards and 2 defenseman from coming in and creating chances...The +/- stat is retarded mostly because if a guy goes off on a line change and just jumps on, he is counted as the player on the ice when a goal is scored against. Now all of a sudden he is a -1, Berard given his handicap is pretty decent from what i have seen around the NHL in terms of teams in the same winning percentage as us. It is soo easy to focus on the negative and pick out certain players and whine about them, it is classier to focus on the positives and build on that.
In case you have never watched a game...Berard sucks at D. BAD. He is great on the PP. No doubt. But to me a D man is supposed to play D first and the O can come later. I think the +- stat shows that your on the ice when you score or get scored against. Seems like its a trend that he gets on the ice when scored against a lot. Dont think that 20 of his minus are because he is "coming off or on the ice". He leads the team in shots...but to me...he needs to worry about keeping things straight in his own end first. Or be moved to Left Wing. Denis basically called him and Duvie out in the paper today because he let up some big plays to a skilled team...instead of doing his job...play D.

As far as me "shutting up" about anything...I wont. Your opinion is valid...and so is mine. That my friend is why they call it opinions. And tone down the name calling, make your point and move on. These are my opinions...and I have a right to them just as you do to call mine out.

Welcome to the club. Berard sucks. Spacho RULES!!! (IMO) That means "In My Opinion".

Last edited by PubOFH: 01-14-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old
01-14-2006, 09:17 AM
CBJSlash

Gallant: "We made some dumb plays that cost us a lot," Gallant said. "It wasn’t me (making the decision) to open it up.

Way to deflect blame and stick up for your team. You obviously show how much control you have on your team when you could have easily called a timeout and asked what the hell was going on.

Don't mean to sound over the top here, but that quote in the 'patch really pissed me off.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash
Gallant: "We made some dumb plays that cost us a lot," Gallant said. "It wasn’t me (making the decision) to open it up.

Way to deflect blame and stick up for your team. You obviously show how much control you have on your team when you could have easily called a timeout and asked what the hell was going on.

Don't mean to sound over the top here, but that quote in the 'patch really pissed me off.
Some people are pissed when GG doesn't call his team out; some are pissed when he does. I'm not sure firing GG would help the Jackets, but it sure would here here at ol' HF.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassés
Some people are pissed when GG doesn't call his team out; some are pissed when he does. I'm not sure firing GG would help the Jackets, but it sure would here here at ol' HF.
That's very true, different people different opinions. For the record I'm not calling for him to be fired, I just thought his comment was very stupid.

I don't know how the coach can deflect blame from himself for the game opening up. He's the one that calls the shots. If he doesn't want it opened up till your team that, if he does tell them that. If they are opening it up w/o your consent take the power back. The game was pretty much opened on our end in the last 12 minutes, plenty of time to stand up and say , "Hey, this isn't how we should be playing now"

Old
01-14-2006, 10:18 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash
That's very true, different people different opinions. For the record I'm not calling for him to be fired, I just thought his comment was very stupid.

I don't know how the coach can deflect blame from himself for the game opening up. He's the one that calls the shots. If he doesn't want it opened up till your team that, if he does tell them that. If they are opening it up w/o your consent take the power back. The game was pretty much opened on our end in the last 12 minutes, plenty of time to stand up and say , "Hey, this isn't how we should be playing now"
Yup. Dont know how I feel yet about Denis calling out his team like that. Seems that he is being kind of a whiner a bit...but...you can take it as him having a winning mentality...which we desperately need in this organization.

GG is an awful leader and it shows from that comment. But don't fire him. I want that first pick...or top 4. GMDM better hit a Home Run next year with a coach. I mean an out of the ballpark home run. We have never had a great coach...King would be good now IMO. GG is awful. Like you said...if they are jumping up to much...rip some arse. Call a TO. When they change lines get in their kitchen.

Old
01-14-2006, 11:17 AM
DougKnowsBest

re Denis quote, I agree 100%. Pubstar, denis said the same thing you have, he just included the whole D, instead of singling out berard. And they all deserve the blame. Last night the breakdowns were un-reasonable. Things like both dmen assuming the other would clear the puck, so both D rush up ice, leaving the puck and a lightning player. It was risiculous. MD has every right to say danmit guys lets not let in the softies. , well, he is a leader IMO, he is just trying to add his voice and pressure. And the point he made is correct.

re GG. his quote is more of a smarmy, *****y, smart *** comment about players not doing what he said. GG isnt as bold as pitts coach.

lets examine.

"We made some dumb plays that cost us a lot," Gallant said. "It wasn’t me (making the decision) to open it up.

We made some dumb plays that cost us a lot-- he says we here, so he is includes himself in the blame here. Essentialy this is the same thing he says about all the losses

2nd item, you dont know in what context the 2nd line of the quote was said. There could of been more said in between the 2 lines. the ( ) lets you know the author filled in something.

"It wasn’t me (making the decision) to open it up. ------this lets us know that the team wasnt listening to GG, he didnt want to play highg octane "pond hockey", the team wanted to. Or more specificaly the D (exception hainsey) was pushing to hard. Because the forwards chase the puck like I chased girls. <insert analogy>

Last edited by DougKnowsBest: 01-14-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old
01-14-2006, 12:43 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubstar
In case you have never watched a game...Berard sucks at D. BAD. He is great on the PP. No doubt. But to me a D man is supposed to play D first and the O can come later. I think the +- stat shows that your on the ice when you score or get scored against. Seems like its a trend that he gets on the ice when scored against a lot. Dont think that 20 of his minus are because he is "coming off or on the ice". He leads the team in shots...but to me...he needs to worry about keeping things straight in his own end first. Or be moved to Left Wing. Denis basically called him and Duvie out in the paper today because he let up some big plays to a skilled team...instead of doing his job...play D.

As far as me "shutting up" about anything...I wont. Your opinion is valid...and so is mine. That my friend is why they call it opinions. And tone down the name calling, make your point and move on. These are my opinions...and I have a right to them just as you do to call mine out.

Welcome to the club. Berard sucks. Spacho RULES!!! (IMO) That means "In My Opinion".

Yeah didn't mean to resort to name calling, but singling out 1 player is just annoying unless he is just really bad at every aspect of the game. SO, sorry about the comments earlier.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
CBJSlash

I also agree with the Denis comment, but that made me less angry, Denis being a player and all.

Gallant starting a comment with "It wasn't me.." just is so stupid. Deflecting blame from himself. I wouldn't of mind if he said "we opened up too much," but excluding himself from the problem is just ridiculous.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:53 PM
DougKnowsBest

I think it was his attempt to single out the players. It just came off bad.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Chain Blue Lightning

It's not always the players

Hey guys first poster here but I read your posts all the time. I've just started watching the CBJ this year. Glad to see C-Bus getting a team. Been gone from my hometown for a almost thirty years. Last time I went to a game it was the Columbus Owls.

Back to the subject. I think some of our lines lend themselves to a wide open approach to the game. Zherdev has got to be one of the best skaters I've seen so why not open the ice when he and Nash are out there.

Coaching is about making constant adjustments so Gallant should always know what's going on out there. I have never been a fan of a coach who would single out a player either good or bad. Hockey is a team sport and no matter how good you are you need a team effort.

I thought we played way too much in our own end and let the Lightning set the tempo. You can't do that against a good team like that. I do like the spirit of fighting to the end the Jacket's have displayed as of late.

Great reading the posts here. I'll throw my two cents in every once in awhile but thanks guys.

Old
01-14-2006, 03:08 PM
X0ssbar

Nice first post.

Welcome to the 'coaster Chain Blue Lightning

Old
01-14-2006, 03:28 PM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Yeah didn't mean to resort to name calling, but singling out 1 player is just annoying unless he is just really bad at every aspect of the game. SO, sorry about the comments earlier.
No prob man. Ill enjoy the debate for many posts to come. You think that was bad...read our "fedorovs impact on the CBJ" thread...you will really hate me then!!

Closed Thread