HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller

Old
02-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Eller has really good vision and has made quite a few beauty passes that went unconverted. Only recently people thought he has no finishing ability. Give him time, he's still developing. I'm also loving how most of the young skill guys matched up with him have shown chemistry with him (Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Leblanc).

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'd put DD on the wing before Eller.
I disagree: Desharnais is a very solid playmaker and he is great at feeding his wingers.

Eller is not a playmaker and when he needs to take a quick decision (instinct), either he (1) drives the net or (2) shoots. He is not the kind of player that will try to create a play until the last split second.

Imo he would be a better winger than center.

That being mentioned, this team already has good depth on wings so if they decide to keep him at center, I would still be a happy fan: Eller is rapidly becoming one of my favorite players.

His acquisition was a great move by Gauthier.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
OneSharpMarble

Eller has shown he isn't much of a passer. In his 4 goal game Akost was setting him up like mad and it seemed to suit him just fine. Maybe we need a guy like Plekanec feeding him passes because he obviously likes to shoot more than pass. He can still maintain his defensive play from the wing, that isn't really an issue.

Darche should not be on the top line getting close to 20mins a night reguardless of his play tonight.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Et le But

Scoring centres with playmaking wingers isn't that outrageous. Just look at Tampa with Stamkos and St Louis.

If anything DD would be easier to move to the wing. Eller is far too good at bringing up the puck and defensively to be wasted on the wings.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's a boss.

Moen 2.0 indeed.
I love that Moen 2.0 nickname. Makes me laugh everytime.

I'm actually kind of surprised everytime I see Eller get some love around here (not by everyone but he kind of has a group that adores him vs a group that think he's topping out as a third liner ) considering the lack of patience with young players around here sometimes. Reminds me of the love Gorges got before he broke out, he was one huge fan favorite for a 5th D but it's always great rooting for the underdog (even if Eller is much less of an underdog in terms of upside at the same age than Gorges was).

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:46 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
He's a boss.

Moen 2.0 indeed.
What is this? An inside joke?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I disagree: Desharnais is a very solid playmaker and he is great at feeding his wingers.

Eller is not a playmaker and when he needs to take a quick decision (instinct), either he (1) drives the net or (2) shoots. He is not the kind of player that will try to create a play until the last split second.

Imo he would be a better winger than center.

That being mentioned, this team already has good depth on wings so if they decide to keep him at center, I would still be a happy fan: Eller is rapidly becoming one of my favorite players.

His acquisition was a great move by Gauthier.
I see what you're saying. But he covers a lot of ice, both sides of the rink, which is why I like him at center. He'd be more useful at center for this role.

I'm not against experimenting though, but I find justifying Eller over DD at center solely based on vision is a bit short sighted...

Many have made careers as set-up men, on the wing.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Scoring centres with playmaking wingers isn't that outrageous. Just look at Tampa with Stamkos and St Louis.

If anything DD would be easier to move to the wing. Eller is far too good at bringing up the puck and defensively to be wasted on the wings.
Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that Eller would be considered a goalscoring center. I've seen him make nice plays but I think a part of his do-everything-by-myself attitude on the ice is that he has played for so long on a line where he actually had to do everything by himself, offensively at least.

And agreed that his puck skills and defensive abilities would be kind of wasted on the wing. But I have to admit that I liked that Eller-Plek-Cole line the very short time they were together.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

Plekanec used to be a great hybrid playmaker/scoring centre but he has no one to set him up so we are not seeing the other side of his game. You put Eller on his line instead of Darche the line becomes more dangerous. Pleks can be more aggressive on the faceoffs because if he gets booted Eller can step in and all of a sudden you have Eller sending Pleks away on a breakaway or vice versa. Eller is also good in the corners and rushing down the boards.

People seem to have forgotten this aspect of Plekanecs game.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I see what you're saying. But he covers a lot of ice, both sides of the rink, which is why I like him at center. He'd be more useful at center for this role.

I'm not against experimenting though, but I find justifying Eller over DD at center solely based on vision is a bit short sighted...

Many have made careers as set-up men, on the wing.
"... but I find justifying Eller over DD at center solely based on vision is a bit short sighted..."

lol True that!

When he plays C, Eller's speed is really useful on the backcheck and driving the net does create rebound and/or breathing room for your wingers. Plus, and I quote you here: "... he covers a lot of ice, both sides of the rink...". I just don't see Eller as a typical/classical center: as I wrote, when he needs to take a quick decision (instinct), either he (1) drives the net or (2) shoots.

I reacted to your post because it seems that, if it becomes necessary (it is not imo), moving Desharnais, instead of Eller, on wings, seems to be the general consensus. And I see it differently.

That being mentioned, on wings or at C, Eller is part of the solution!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Kyosuke

Eller's a boss, the guys backchecks like no other. There's not one game where I don't see him come back from the forecheck and pickpocket the carrier or completely nullify one of the opposing rushes. He's also coming into his own game, though he hasn't completely gotten to where he wants to be just yet. I just can't wait till he becomes 100% comfortable and starts showing even more magic in his game.. Also love how he idolizes Pleks and aspires to be the same kind of player!

Kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Mr Rogers

Eller is one of the best, if not the best, at gaining the zone on this team. This often creates a gap between the opposing D and his wingers and gives them breathing room. Having that skill to open up the play like he does is not easy to find.

He should never have to go back playing wing.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
"... but I find justifying Eller over DD at center solely based on vision is a bit short sighted..."

lol True that!
urgh, i woke up early..lol,.

Quote:

That being mentioned, on wings or at C, Eller is part of the solution!
Yes.

If / once we do get to the point of meaningless games, it would be interesting to see what both can do on the wing...

Maybe have them play on the same line for a few games exchanging positions... than we can end the debate once and for all!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Undertakerqc

I love Eller style of play. I am unsure has how good he can be offensively, but this guy comes out to play every night. He has size and will get bigger has he ages. Solid two way guy. He has very good skill. This guy has the potential to be a solid player, only time will tell us if he can put it all together. But i like his odds with the work ethic he has.

We have solid #2 and #3 centers right now with DD and Eller. To become a contender we will need to replace Plekanec with a big #1 center.

Last edited by overlords: 02-11-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
We have solid #2 and #3 centers right now with DD and Eller. To become a contender we will need to replace Plekanec with a big #1 center.
Eller will replace desharnais as second line C midway through next year is my guess. Desharnais should play in a 3rd line role like briere, preying on the weaker opposition. Eller and pleks can bring some offense and shut down opposing lines at the same time.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He reminds me of Mikko Koivu so much. Less heavy, but quicker.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Similar hands/shots, but you're right. Mikko is bulkier and even his shot is heavier.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Eller will replace desharnais as second line C midway through next year is my guess. Desharnais should play in a 3rd line role like briere, preying on the weaker opposition. Eller and pleks can bring some offense and shut down opposing lines at the same time.
Has i see it, the third line is the checking line. Having both DD and Plekanec makes us too small at center

Old
02-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
I like that comparison

Old
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
If we don't resign AK we won't have a single decent winger for either Pleks or Eller unless Leblanc can improve enough to be a top 6 player.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If we don't resign AK we won't have a single decent winger for either Pleks or Eller unless Leblanc can improve enough to be a top 6 player.
We could possibly see Gallagher make the the team, hence the absolute necessity to replace Plekanec with a big center

Old
02-12-2012, 12:13 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
That's a pretty good comparision. Looking at Koivu's ES scoring at that age, Eller seems to follow his devellopment path too. A path pretty common for two-way players.

I actually remember reading somewhere that an analyst had compared them due to both being very good even strenght players in the AHL. Thinking about it, I wonder if that didn't play a part in the org asking specifically for Eller in the Halak deal, considering our long time struggles at ES. If so, that's pretty brilliant longterm thinking.

Quote:
Has i see it, the third line is the checking line. Having both DD and Plekanec makes us too small at center
It's not. Especially if, you go with a top 9 (wich is the way to go these days) instead of a top 6. Last year (and this year except for the games where Eller got those matchups) the Plekanec line was the checking line. If you go power on power (wich is the most common way to go these days) you do not want your great defensive players playing against third liners. It's a waste. What we need is enough depth on the wing to build an offensive 3rd line that can exploit the bottom of other team's lineup.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
That's a pretty good comparision. Looking at Koivu's ES scoring at that age, Eller seems to follow his devellopment path too. A path pretty common for two-way players.

I actually remember reading somewhere that an analyst had compared them due to both being very good even strenght players in the AHL. Thinking about it, I wonder if that didn't play a part in the org asking specifically for Eller in the Halak deal, considering our long time struggles at ES. If so, that's pretty brilliant longterm thinking.

It's not. Especially if, you go with a top 9 (wich is the way to go these days) instead of a top 6. Last year (and this year except for the games where Eller got those matchups) the Plekanec line was the checking line. If you go power on power (wich is the most common way to go these days) you do not want your great defensive players playing against third liners. It's a waste. What we need is enough depth on the wing to build an offensive 3rd line that can exploit the bottom of other team's lineup.
even if we go with three offensive line like you say, it does not solve the problem of us being too small at center

Old
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
We could possibly see Gallagher make the the team, hence the absolute necessity to replace Plekanec with a big center
I'd rather keep Plekanec and trade Gallagher along with Gionta, Bourque and Darche for a decent winger for Pleks. I don't ever see Gallagher being a functional part of this team for the same reasons Gionta isn't. If Gionta fit in here then we could probably plug Gallagher into that spot but I would rather trade both and travel a different path.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:21 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
even if we go with three offensive line like you say, it does not solve the problem of us being too small at center
It's not a problem, not with the wingers we have. Plek is like 200lbs anyway. I'd say the D is more on the small side than the F.

Edit: But even then it depends on the players, Gorges and Subban are on the small side for defenceman but it doesn't stop them from doing their jobs.