HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Hall Of Fame

Old
02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
27isles27

vCash: 500
Islanders Hall Of Fame

Who else should be inducted into the Islanders Hall Of Fame?

Chico Resch
Pat LaFontaine
Zigmund Palffy
Billy Harris
Brent Sutter
Derek King
Stefan Persson
Pierre Turgeon
Kelly Hrudey
Glenn Healy
or some one else

27isles27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
NYCoolRunner

I would vote for Pierre Turgeon personally. He was always my favorite player (I'm 23 y/o now), and I STILL pick the number 77 whenever I have the chance to pick a number (whether in a video game, a Super Bowl box, or my softball team).

NYCoolRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27isles27 View Post

Chico Resch
Pat LaFontaine
Zigmund Palffy
Billy Harris
Brent Sutter
Derek King
Stefan Persson
Pierre Turgeon
Kelly Hrudey
Glenn Healy
or some one else
Think about who's in it. The HOFers all retired Islanders. Ken Morrow retired an Islander. Bob Bourne went back to LA without a lot of fanfare. Patrick Flatley went to NYR, ironically enough, without a lot of fanfare. So it's all guys who left without a bitter taste or didn't leave at all. Most of your list left with some friction, except for Stefan Persson.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

Chico Resch - No
Pat LaFontaine - Yes
Zigmund Palffy - No
Billy Harris - Maybe
Brent Sutter - No
Derek King - No
Stefan Persson - Maybe
Pierre Turgeon - Maybe
Kelly Hrudey - No
Glenn Healy - No
or some one else

Friction has nothing to do with it. New ownership group could care less about what happened in the past (see Bryan Trottier).

Most of these guys wont make it in because quite frankly they don't deserve it. You shouldn't dilute something that you bill as a hall of fame. KJ was a bit of a reach but I can live with it. But most of these guys either not IHOF worthy or they didn't do it for long enough with the Islanders (Turgeon and maybe Lafontaine).

Lafontaine will probably get in eventually. But if they were celebrating each decade, who are you going to put in to represent the 80s? A dynasty member, or the other guy?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
twentytwo

Ironically enough, I just had a discussion about this today as well:

1. Tonelli
2. Goring
3. LaFontaine
4. Turgeon

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Friction has nothing to do with it. New ownership group could care less about what happened in the past (see Bryan Trottier).

Most of these guys wont make it in because quite frankly they don't deserve it. You shouldn't dilute something that you bill as a hall of fame. KJ was a bit of a reach but I can live with it. But most of these guys either not IHOF worthy or they didn't do it for long enough with the Islanders (Turgeon and maybe Lafontaine).

Lafontaine will probably get in eventually. But if they were celebrating each decade, who are you going to put in to represent the 80s? A dynasty member, or the other guy?
You always say it best. Way to go, Champ!

Old
02-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Isles Junkie

LaFontaine is really the only one who deserves it. Perhaps Palffy too. but that's a big stretch IMO.

Frankly it should have been LaFontaine over Flatley. Ridiculous how he & the owner have issues.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:07 AM
original islander

Obviously with my avatar I have to go with Billy Harris. I know that it will never happen because most younger fans know him only as one of the players traded for Butch Goring and don't fully know Islander history. Harris was the first ever Islander and scored our first goal ever in an exhibition game. Harris also scored a goal in the first regular season game (after Eddie Westfall), had the first penalty shot in our history (in Game 2 in which he had 2 goals in our first victory). Billy scored our first playoff goal and had our first playoff hat trick. He also played in our first 576 games and every playoff game until he was traded.

Billy's numbers are very similar to Flats and his numbers are much better than Eddie's and they're in.

I listened to our first game on radio and either watched on TV or in the early years listened to on radio about 90% of our games over the past 40 years and in those early years before the internet would get extra information from calling the sports desks at the Post and Daily News and talking to the reporters covering the Islanders. I recall one of the reporters telling me that Billy changed his game in the second year after Al Arbour became coach that hurt his career as a goal scorer. Al came to the Island and we cut off 100 goals exactly from our 1st year and correctly made sure our forwards played a complete game and since Harris was very coachable he concentrated on his backchecking and playmaking and sacrificed a portion of his offensive game which had resulted in 28 goals in his rookie year under Phil Goyette on a horrible team. Harris bettered that total only once under Al although his point totals moved up because of the assists.

Billy Harris should be remembered as our first really good player instead of solely as a guy traded for Butchie.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:46 AM
19 in a row

Lafontaine for sure and don't forget Tonelli, he had over 50pts 7 of his 8 seasons including two seasons over 90 pts... Personally I would also consider Persson.

Turgeon and Pallffy are certainly good enough but Turgeon was only there for 3.5 seasons and Palffy for parts of 5 years (3 full years and parts of 2 others). So it depends on your criteria.

Unfortunately, I think the bar was lowered by putting Flats in... so where do you put it now?

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 03:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

LaFontaine, Tonelli and Persson.

Then lock the thing until Tavares gets in there.

If DP goes on it, the thing should be burned.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Run it past the chief HF poster first. He knows everything!

Old
02-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Bexlyspeed

Why not Chico?
his contribution was huge in the rise of the islanders to becoming an NHL powerhouse!

he is as deserving as anyone they put in this season, except for maybe Eddie Westfall.

Id' go with Turgeon and Tonelli as well.
Brent Sutter for sure as well
Palffy too and goring.
Pat LaFontaine? no brainer get him in there!

and Derek King probably deserves to be in too, at one time he was the most prolific winger in the NHL!

Guys that im on the fence with is Hrudey, whom i loved , , Healy, who had that great run, but then he went tot he rags so for me he's out and Harris

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post

1. Tonelli
2. Goring
3. LaFontaine
4. Turgeon
I'd agree with this.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Raven35912

It's always confused me that Pat LaFontaine isn't in there yet. I'm pretty sure there was mention of an Islanders Hall of Fame when they had Pat LaFontaine night a few years ago but I could be wrong (anybody else remember this?). I think ya gotta put Butchie, Chico, Billy Harris and John Tonelli in there but as far as the bad years go, I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't go completely overlooked. I was stoked that they put KJ in and I think players like Turgeon and Palffy should get in as well. I also feel players like Derek King, Claude LaPointe, and Steve Webb should get in there eventually and (I know this won't make me too popular) but I feel, years down the road, you should put DP in there. He's an historical bust by most standards but when you look at his career from an unbiased perspective, he's one of the best regualr season goalies in Islanders history. Of course, I'm not advocating his addition until years down the road. First he has to retire... like now.

Raven35912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
LaFontaine is really the only one who deserves it. Perhaps Palffy too. but that's a big stretch IMO.

Frankly it should have been LaFontaine over Flatley. Ridiculous how he & the owner have issues.
I'd agree that Lafontaine is a better choice than Flatley. However, if you decide that you have to put someone in from the 90s, then Flatley is as good a choice as any. You certainly can't put Lafontaine in as the 90s representative.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven35912 View Post
(I know this won't make me too popular) but I feel, years down the road, you should put DP in there. He's an historical bust by most standards but when you look at his career from an unbiased perspective, he's one of the best regualr season goalies in Islanders history. Of course, I'm not advocating his addition until years down the road. First he has to retire... like now.
honestly who gives a **** bout regular season stats. He did nothing for us and still is doing nothing for us. He's run a few players outta town ontop of all that. Guys a bust to the purest form just like Scott Sccissons and every other bust this franchise has had. The hall of fame should be for players that had an impact for us, not something just cause they had good goalie stats. Any goalie if given the chance with the isles can have 4 seasons of 20 wins or more.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Obviously with my avatar I have to go with Billy Harris. I know that it will never happen because most younger fans know him only as one of the players traded for Butch Goring and don't fully know Islander history. Harris was the first ever Islander and scored our first goal ever in an exhibition game. Harris also scored a goal in the first regular season game (after Eddie Westfall), had the first penalty shot in our history (in Game 2 in which he had 2 goals in our first victory). Billy scored our first playoff goal and had our first playoff hat trick. He also played in our first 576 games and every playoff game until he was traded.

Billy's numbers are very similar to Flats and his numbers are much better than Eddie's and they're in.

I listened to our first game on radio and either watched on TV or in the early years listened to on radio about 90% of our games over the past 40 years and in those early years before the internet would get extra information from calling the sports desks at the Post and Daily News and talking to the reporters covering the Islanders. I recall one of the reporters telling me that Billy changed his game in the second year after Al Arbour became coach that hurt his career as a goal scorer. Al came to the Island and we cut off 100 goals exactly from our 1st year and correctly made sure our forwards played a complete game and since Harris was very coachable he concentrated on his backchecking and playmaking and sacrificed a portion of his offensive game which had resulted in 28 goals in his rookie year under Phil Goyette on a horrible team. Harris bettered that total only once under Al although his point totals moved up because of the assists.

Billy Harris should be remembered as our first really good player instead of solely as a guy traded for Butchie.
I think Harris has been largely overlooked in many ways...He was first "face" of the franchise and would have had a vastly different career if he had been put on a good team at start of his career.

I remember reading the LI Press when he was traded and how he was crushed to leave the team and was a mess. Always felt bad he missed out on the good years after being so good at the beginning.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
islandersfan1677

Quote:

Chico Resch-MAYBE, I'd say yes only cause its time this franchise recognize those 70's playoff teams that laid the foundation for the cup teams
Pat LaFontaine-YES, should be in already
Zigmund Palffy-YES
Billy Harris-YES
Brent Sutter- NO, enough of the 80's players are in there already
Derek King- YES
Stefan Persson- NO, Enough of the 80's players are in there already
Pierre Turgeon-YES
Kelly Hrudey-NO
Glenn Healy-NO, he's always bashing this franchise every chance he gets and bolted to the rags just to stick it towards ownership and gm at that time
JP Parise should also be

Old
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Raven35912

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfan1677 View Post
honestly who gives a **** bout regular season stats. He did nothing for us and still is doing nothing for us. He's run a few players outta town ontop of all that. Guys a bust to the purest form just like Scott Sccissons and every other bust this franchise has had. The hall of fame should be for players that had an impact for us, not something just cause they had good goalie stats. Any goalie if given the chance with the isles can have 4 seasons of 20 wins or more.
He actually holds a couple records though on top of an all star appearance and an olympic appearance. Just saying I think it'd make sense to not just sweep him under the rug years down the line. I don't think I'd be pissed if they didn't. I've heard people talk about how he had players run out of town but could you elaborate on who? One player I've heard mentioned was Konopka and I hope that's not true because I think he had a real impact with this team as soon as he came aboard.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Hip Of Rick

Id prefer noone, it is already overpopulated. Not a fan of the IHOF deal. Either you are good enough to have your number retired or not. I don't see a middle ground.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven35912 View Post
He actually holds a couple records though on top of an all star appearance and an olympic appearance. Just saying I think it'd make sense to not just sweep him under the rug years down the line. I don't think I'd be pissed if they didn't. I've heard people talk about how he had players run out of town but could you elaborate on who? One player I've heard mentioned was Konopka and I hope that's not true because I think he had a real impact with this team as soon as he came aboard.
I've seen a few members mention the other goalies being run outta town by Rick everytime a discussion pops up of Rick since I've been on this board. I take it with a grain of salt but it wouldn't surprise me being that Rick is so close to Snow and Wang.

Old
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post

1. Tonelli
2. Goring
3. LaFontaine
4. Turgeon
I'd be completely satisfied with this.

Quote:

If I even see a DP jersey after he retires (or hopefully bought out) I may light it on fire.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Raven35912

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfan1677 View Post
I've seen a few members mention the other goalies being run outta town by Rick everytime a discussion pops up of Rick since I've been on this board. I take it with a grain of salt but it wouldn't surprise me being that Rick is so close to Snow and Wang.
Not to keep harping on the subject but once you start to look at the goalies DP played with and how they left you can see that's probably not true. Ozzie was traded because he was getting hurt a bunch, Snowy... I think we all know the situation there, Dubie was stolen, Joey Mac and Danis were always meant to be a sort of stop gap, same with Roli. Any other goalies who came up were more times than not brought up because of injuries and were sent back down once the starters returned. I'm really not his biggest fan or anything like that and I see where the disappointed fans are coming from wanting him to just retire or be bought out (I'm one of them). I just can't get behind hating him like so many Islanders fans do.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
We Want The de

LaFontaine and Turgeon. You can't deny that LaFontaine was the best Islanders player that doesn't have his number retired. Also, maybe I'm biased because I'm young, but I think Turgeon should be in. He was the captain and the best player in our last good season. Also, all you need to know about what he meant to this franchise is how much fans hate Dale Hunter.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:

The funny thing is if a miracle does occur and DP is bought out/retired this year I would almost be surprised if DP does NOT go in. With Wang at the helm, this is all about honoring loyalty (e.g. Morrow) while giving the finger to anyone that's "disloyal" (e.g. Lafontaine).

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote